Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nobody
Occasional Poster

April 2003
icon5.gif  1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 06:45 Go to next message
I'm interested in doing 1 man brake bleeding but the "professional kit" was $140, so I'm currently trying to source clear hose and a matching check valve from a pneumatics supplier.

Do you think this will work for a 1 man operation?

Any better ideas?

Any help appreciated. Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 08:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dont you have any friends? Confused Rolling Eyes
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yell at the woman and tell her to come and listen to the radio for a little while
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 08:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's what neighbours are for, in'it?
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was gonna say like the above since u dont bleed brakes that often but i cant stand it when u ask for one thing and ppl suggest something else so obvious as if u didnt think of it

the guy asked for a brake bleeding kit u knobs im sure he had the brain to think of asking someone else to help

(bad day at work)
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manipulate wrote on Fri, 09 May 2003 18:29

i was gonna say like the above since u dont bleed brakes that often but i cant stand it when u ask for one thing and ppl suggest something else so obvious as if u didnt think of it

the guy asked for a brake bleeding kit u knobs im sure he had the brain to think of asking someone else to help

(bad day at work)

I agree, all you people are inconsiderate Mad
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 09 May 2003 18:13

Dont you have any friends? Confused Rolling Eyes

Cough*....
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 08:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummm, I'm speechless Confused
Nobody
Occasional Poster

April 2003
icon5.gif  Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 08:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whether "Nobody" has friends is beside the point.Rolling Eyes You could not only do the bleeding job yourself, but you likely do the job quicker than a two man operation.

Any thoughts? Smile
biased99
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
...as exactly you should be!

(Strange, the way some people think, isn't it?)

As for the 1-man brake-bleeding kit; you may be a little stuck here. Given that it isn't an operation carried out by 1 person "that often" your choice of kits for the job is likely to be limited...Picture yourself at the counter asking for such a kit, and having the sales person say something like..."Well, they're $140...Shit, man for that price, maybe you should invite the neighbour over for a beer!"

(Which isn't to suggest that you have that option... Smile )
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 08:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Some people are so uptight Sad
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 08:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1 wrote on Fri, 09 May 2003 18:51

Some people are so uptight Sad

Awww.....no one understands Shane but his frog
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just use a bottle, a long bit of clear hose, and a bit more fluid.
Hard pedal everytime.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 08:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah least he loves me Crying or Very Sad
Nobody
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 09 May 2003 18:59

I just use a bottle, a long bit of clear hose, and a bit more fluid.
Hard pedal everytime.

Thanks Gianttomato.

So what your saying is the suck back isn't great enough to worry about.

Do you find that you have to push the pedal many more times than a 2 man operation?

Also has anyone heard of gravity bleeding by just leaving the bleed valves open and letting time and gravity do the work?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nobody wrote on Fri, 09 May 2003 19:22

1) So what your saying is the suck back isn't great enough to worry about.

2) Do you find that you have to push the pedal many more times than a 2 man operation?

3) Also has anyone heard of gravity bleeding by just leaving the bleed valves open and letting time and gravity do the work?

1) The suck back isn't much to worry about. I just immerse the tube in a bit of brake fluid and deliberately use a bit more fluid. Tomorrow, I will post a pic of my incredibly 'elaborate' system. It consists of a used 1.25 L lemonade bottle with a hole thru the cap, a length of clear tube and a bit of brake fluid at the bottom of the bottle.

2) Unfortunately, I too have no friends, and my wife is completely intolerant of my car stuff, so I have no idea.

3) I usually use gravity to do my clutch system because I am slack and it takes less time (than doing the brakes by this method).

There are other fancy systems that use positive pressure applied to the master cylinder to effectively 'flush' the brake system with new fluid. The mechanics here will have a better idea of what this is - I have only heard about it.

[Updated on: Fri, 09 May 2003 09:40]

Nobody
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Gianttomato,

I'll wait for your pic tomorrow.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not long ago I saw an ad in a mag for a little bleed nipple that had a ball & spring one way valve inside it. I can't remember who was advertising it thought.
Maybe try Rare Spares?
peewee
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got a piece of clear hose with a 1 way valve on it. you can get them from any place that does car stuff, i got mine from the tiny auto section in a hardware store. does a great job
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Fri, 09 May 2003 23:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can also reverse bleed the system if you have a syringe and a piece of clear hose. I did this last time i had to bleed my brakes and it worked quite well.
1)Just drain the system completely,
2)suck the brake fluid into the syringe via the hose which is on the end of the syringe,
3)connect to the nipple on the caliper and open the nipple,
4)force the fluid into the system watching the reservoir so it doesn't overflow.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Sat, 10 May 2003 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I got one of those cheapo "single man bleeder" kits from Repco, basically consists of a tube and a bottle connected to a magnet. So you stick the bottle higher than the bleed valve, and open the valve and pump, and it pushes the fluid up until it sort of fills the bottle. Any bubbles float up through the tube. Then you come out of the car and check to make sure it's brake fluid all the way to the nipple, tighten it up and away you go. Make sure before you undo the tube you place the bottle below the nipple or you'll end up covered in brake fluid when you take the tube out of the nipple.

Seems to work quite well, although build quality is rather crap and the tip of my tube is starting to fall apart (less than 6 months later)

The bleed valve you speak of with the ball bearing is called a speed bleeder (http://www.speedbleeder.com/) I'm not sure who sells them.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Sat, 10 May 2003 02:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, if they hadn't been bought out by Supercheap there was a link on the Marlows site for a brake bleeding kit. Like $15, all it is is a piece of hose with a one way valve. Simple as.
gmsta27
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1 man brake bleeding Sat, 10 May 2003 04:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Auto parts store should have a mighty vac hand powered vacum pump paid about 18.oo dollars US for mine bleeds brakes without getting hands dirty as well as other jobs. one man bleeding.

Greg
Nobody
Occasional Poster

April 2003
icon7.gif  Re: 1 man brake bleeding Sat, 10 May 2003 12:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for the replies peoples.

There sure are alot of ways to bleed brakes.

The "Speed Bleeder" system looks like a great idea, but works out to about $50AUD a car. If you have more than one car it is likely to be much cheaper to buy/make a good external setup.

With the clear hose and one way valves some of you have, how does it work with different size bleed nipples? Most cars I have seen have a different size on the front to the back. Won't you have to have 2 different size hoses?

Thanks for your help. Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

My craptastic 1 man bleeder Sun, 11 May 2003 01:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Take careful note. One dead lemonade bottle one length of clear plastic tubing (80 cents/m of window washer tubing at local car shop. Note distinct LACK of one way bleed valve.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/1GGTZE/one%20man%20bleeder.jpg
Carefully positioned hole burnt into lid of lemonade bottle with soldering iron.
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/1GGTZE/hole.jpg
The suck back is minimal. You will see by looking at how little distance an introduced air bubble moves on release of the pedal. I accept there is some suck back and consequently use a little more fluid. It absorbs water once it's opened so I figure I might as well use it all.
Sunlight and brake fluid make the clear tubing opaque white and hard.
Nobody
Occasional Poster

April 2003
icon10.gif  RE: My craptastic 1 man bleeder Sun, 11 May 2003 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank for posting the pics of your "Craptastic 1 man bleeder" Gianttomato. Very Happy

I suppose by raising the hose to the top of the bottle, the air bubbles are more likely to rise away from the bleed valve. Clever.....

I think I'll try building one of these. Why not? After all it should cost a dollar or two.

As I've also already effectively ordered the pneumatic pipes and check valve, I'll try both in time and get back to this thread about the comparison.

Thanks again Gianttomato. Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

RE: My craptastic 1 man bleeder Sun, 11 May 2003 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I actually usually hook the tube up in a spring or over the disc so the bubbles automatically preferentially rise.
roger
Regular

June 2002
RE: My craptastic 1 man bleeder Mon, 12 May 2003 00:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I use a weed sprayer they type you pump up cost around $10 and a brass nipple.

Bolt the brass nipple in the resivor cap(may need some silicon to seal and connect the nipple to where the spray attachment on the weed sprayer would go. Pump it up as hard as you can. The system should hold pressure of around 30 psi just right for pressure bleeding then go around to all your nipples and tweek them. You bleed you car fast no jumping on the peddel. Only draw back is the resivor must be the screw on type. I use this on my dads BMW which has 2 remote brake boosters and 3 master cylinders works a treat. If you can't under stnad what I am talking about look up "cheap brake pressure bleeder" on google.

Nobody
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: 1 man brake bleeding Mon, 12 May 2003 08:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roger,

Is this link what you mean?

http://www.glue.umd.edu/~singletn/web/pages/bleede r.pdf

Gianttomato,

I made your Craptastic 1 man brake bleeder today and used it. I lashed out with luxury by actually drilling the holes in the two caps (for 2 different size hoses for front & back nipple sizes).

So far it appears the bleeding went well as the pedal seems hard enough, but I haven't driven the car yet to test. Like you said, you end up using more fluid than 2 man and also the suck back appears to be only 5mm in the tube.

Thanks again. Smile
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Mon, 12 May 2003 12:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Haha, at tafe today doing my aircraft maint. course, we're doing landing gears atm, and the maintenance manual proceedure for bleeding the brakes of a Gulfstream Aerocommander (lol) specify to have the end of the plastic hose immersed in hydraulic fluid while bleeding the brakes, to prevent air being sucked back in & to help see the bubbles come out.

Nice one GT. Very Happy
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1 man brake bleeding Mon, 12 May 2003 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nobody,

Yeah thats the thing, this is the one I made. Except I didn't bother with the gauge.

http://www.bayarea02.com/techtips/brake_bleeder.ht ml

I didn't use the special cap they are talking about just a spare I had. Again it only works with well sealed resivors, so for something like a ta22 it won't work you would be blowing the cap straight off.

[Updated on: Mon, 12 May 2003 22:42]

Nobody
Occasional Poster

April 2003
Re: 1 man brake bleeding Wed, 14 May 2003 04:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Roger,

It looks like the best way to bleed as you don't have any problems with the master cylinder seals rubbing on the usually unused area of the master cylinder, potentially causing excessive wear.

Unfortunately the master cylinder cap on my car is not a screw type (like most I think) and so therefore I can't use it.

Thanks anyway. Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 1 man brake bleeding Wed, 14 May 2003 07:31 Go to previous message
BigWorm wrote on Mon, 12 May 2003 22:26

Nice one GT. Very Happy

I'm so wasted in intensive care. I hardly ever get to wield a spanner up there.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Brake conversion using Nissan caliper/WRX disc
Next Topic:Muffler costs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 07:13:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064408779144287 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.