Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Toymods Membership & Feedback » Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
icon8.gif  Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Mon, 12 May 2003 05:21 Go to next message
This has been a long time coming, but i've decided to let go and have a bit of a rant about the For Sale section on the forums..

Is it possible to make a bit of a change to the way they operate? It seems that these days someone puts something up for sale and all they get are 100 replies asking for "PICS??" and the such. Also, time wasters who want to argue about their perceived value of the car that's for sale...

eg. http://www.toymods.org.au/msgboard/index.php?t=msg &th=13335&start=0&rid=9&S=7480ad41 3bd9b0c0b8f5619a7e4d5961

Also, the number of people who simply refuse to read an original post to get things like phone numbers, locations etc is astounding! Rolling Eyes

What i'm suggesting is that all threads in the Cars For Sale section are autmatically locked as soon as they are posted. People posting cars for sale should include ALL relevant details, and anyone who's interested enough to think about buying the car can contact the seller via Email, PM, or phone (if the seller posts their number). The seller should have the ability to edit their posts so that they can add extra details (eg. if they forgot to add details like the amount of rego etc on the car..)

This also helps to prevent clutter in the section, and continual BUMPS on things...

Anyway,
/rant off (for now) Embarassed

Hope I haven't come across as too much of a whinger, but I think this is an area that could do with some attention.
  Send a private message to this user    
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Mon, 12 May 2003 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
errrr...

this is what they resorted to doing on performance forums, and it SUCKS!!! quite possibly the single WORST thing you can do to a for sale section IMHO.

i'd only ever consider doing this if things got really bad (and they can get WAY worse than that posted thread).

what I would suggest is that (in the forsale section only) that if its possible, to allow the creator of the thread to moderate the thread themselves... ie delete dickhead slagging posts etc.

please please please DONT do what PF did with locking forsel posts.

cheers
ed
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Mon, 12 May 2003 08:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed_ma61 wrote on Mon, 12 May 2003 17:06

this is what they resorted to doing on performance forums, and it SUCKS!!! quite possibly the single WORST thing you can do to a for sale section IMHO.

i'd only ever consider doing this if things got really bad (and they can get WAY worse than that posted thread).

what I would suggest is that (in the forsale section only) that if its possible, to allow the creator of the thread to moderate the thread themselves... ie delete dickhead slagging posts etc.

please please please DONT do what PF did with locking forsel posts.

cheers
ed

That's where I got the idea from, and I think it's great. Old posts don't re-arise after a year and you know exactly how far back you have to go in order to read all un-read ads.

The thread I posted was just an example of people coming in with unnecessary opinions that will possibly put genuine buyers off.. I know it wasn't that bad but there's plenty worse in there, and it seems to occur a lot.

That said, the thread owner having moderator privs on their own thread is a good idea. Smile The way i see it though if people are genuinely interested in a car, it's no more of a hassle for them to click the little "Email" button, instead of the little "Post Reply" button. Saves a whole lot of stuffing around with wankers and time-wasters (IMO of course).

btw - I didn't mean for this to apply to the entire for sale section (eg. parts for sale & wanted) only cars for sale.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Mon, 12 May 2003 10:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats a good idea Paul... It would save a lot of clutter on the forums which is what we don't need...
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Mon, 12 May 2003 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tru.....but just imagine your selling something
and a few ppl want to ask u some questions about your car

would would want them scattered throughout the day....getting 5 calls here and there....while at work....etc etc

or would u prefer to come home and answer question in your own time whenever u want....less hassle etc

Hopefully what i said makes sense....tired
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Mon, 12 May 2003 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
but if a thread is locked when its created then it doesnt stay up the top for long, and the best way to get exposure for the item you'd like to sell is for people to post about it.

also u wont be able to 'bump' it.

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Tue, 13 May 2003 23:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Does Paul's suggestion sound good?[ 2 vote(s) ]
1.Yes 0 / 0%
2.No 2 / 100%

Here's your chance to voice your opinions guys!

Teenz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Wed, 14 May 2003 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Paul,

Good suggestion, I actually suggested this to Rod the President when Performance Forums did it. I too frequent those forums.

If people want what you are selling they simply PM you or contact the numbers u have provided.

If the ad goes too far down the list u can simply re-list it.

Works well on Performance Forums, your suggestion gets my vote!

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Wed, 14 May 2003 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i cant seem to vote on max's little doover up there, so ill just explain my grievance...

as a BUYER -
-often the original descriptions are a bit 'thin' and with normal forum discussion you get a LOT more information about the product being sold.
-when you ask a seller a question privately, theyre usually blunt and answer only what you ask (der!). with the information contained in the forum discussion, you often get ore information than required, often answering questions you forgot to think about.
-even if youre not interested in buying the item - you LEARN HEAPS about particular products by reading the discussions that follow it would be an utter shame to lose this information.

as a SELLER -
-its a pain in the arse personally answering multiple emails, often asking the same question. MUCH easier to reply to forum questions. this aslo impacts on the BUYERS list of problems above, as, as a seller, the info you email people back can get brief as you get more annoyed at repetive questions.
-if a product has a lot of interest, it kind of deserves to stay at the top of the list through the natural bumpage.

so, in summary, i think locking threads is a totally suckful idea, and it would be a real shame to lose the information that the discussions contain.

like i said earlier, if ppl have issues with 'crap' threads, give the thread starter moderator control over that thread.

cheers
ed
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Wed, 14 May 2003 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
another feature i like from the performance forums is that ya cant just register put ya forsale post up and never be seen again?

maybe a month wait or X many posts before ya ca post

what people wreckon to that or should i get my own thread Evil or Very Mad
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Wed, 14 May 2003 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Personally I think that's pretty good too.

The number of times I see new people join up JUST to sell stuff really gives me the shits

/me goes back to my corner and grumbles

PS Max - Did you forget to make it so that people can vote? Razz
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Wed, 14 May 2003 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't know what's up with the poll... I can vote... Weird..

Anyway, I've just had a look through the admin pages and there's no option to automatically lock a thread.

I can set a password to the section so that you need to know the password before you can post.
Or I can set the section to be fully moderated. That means all posts have to be approved by the moderators... I imagine that this would turn out to be a nightmare for us.
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Thu, 15 May 2003 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ed has put forward a good argument...

i think i agree with him.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Thu, 15 May 2003 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I also agree with Ed.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Thu, 15 May 2003 11:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont like the part that has moderators aproving all posts! NOOO! Sad

And i have to say "NO" for that poll max.

Paul, its good idea - IN THEORY.
But as H. Simpson once said:
"IN THEORY - communism works"

I think ED's point is very valid, i would've said it if i could find the words to do so.
Southo
Regular

I supported Toymods

August 2002
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Thu, 15 May 2003 16:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We are actually looking at reviewing this at the moment on PF - well the matter has been raised for moderator discussion and the majority of us are in favour of keeping it locked - (ie, single post only) mainly because of the consistant "bumping" (what makes your thread more important than the others), and the fact that many used to end in arguments and other garbage.

When PF cracked down on the bumping - they would 'disguise' their bumping by having mates ask questions, or make post afterwards like, "still for sale" or By the way, it's now got a full tank of fuel, or it's now been detailed etc.

There were lots and lots of fly by nighters that have been mentioned who come in, offer nothing to the forums, or the group as a whole - and want to sell their item. Some even have the hide to say - email your questions, I don't read these forums.

Whilst what we are doing at PF is not the best solution (it was made as a last ditch effort at short notice after trying a few other options pending a better idea) - we are yet to find a better one).

Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Thu, 15 May 2003 22:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 15 May 2003 21:24

"IN THEORY - communism works"

I think ED's point is very valid, i would've said it if i could find the words to do so.

aaahh... The gospel words of Homer J Smile

After reading over Ed's posts again, i agree he does have some good points.

Maxxy - Is there any option in there to have the For Sale threads self moderated?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon13.gif  Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Fri, 16 May 2003 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope. Self moderation is not possible. It also leads to people deleting posts that they don't like...
HSV_gal
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Fri, 16 May 2003 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd have to agree too I'm afraid.
Leave It as it is..
I did have one thought on this section tho...
perhaps if cars that have been sold... could those threads be deleted?
I think I read somewhere that the moderators were having a cleanup of the forums so maybe the whole for sale section including the parts for sale and parts wanted sections will be seriously looked at.

Just a thought tho.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Fri, 16 May 2003 01:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Deleting sold items has two problems that I can see:
  1. It requires the moderators to be aware of the thread and the state of the sale
  2. Sometimes, it's good to leave as a reference for future buyers/sellers
Teenz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Mon, 19 May 2003 04:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about an archive section that the post could be moved to when the vehicle or item is sold?

Would that work better?????

Just a thought
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Mon, 19 May 2003 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can't see this helping. Old posts just move down and out of sight anyway. Another section would just clutter things up some more.

Thanks for the suggestion though Teenz.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Mon, 19 May 2003 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not sure if it has been answered before(been a while since I read this thread). But can it be made that people have to be registered forum members for a set period of time before they can start threads in the forsale sections?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon8.gif  Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Tue, 20 May 2003 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nope. Sad
Poolshark
Regular

February 2003

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Tue, 20 May 2003 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont think sold cars should be deleted because it can be good looking through old sales for a lot of reasons
i do think though that the subject of all sold cars should have to change to sold then the original subject
this way it would be easy to go back 2-3 months find the cars not sold and go from there
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Sat, 24 May 2003 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why not do the PF thing where the "For sale" section is hidden to non registered browsers? Is that possible?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Mon, 26 May 2003 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not that I can see.... Disgusted
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Tue, 27 May 2003 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what kinda crappy forum software are you running here max??!! Laughing
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Tue, 27 May 2003 10:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK that's it!

I'm sending a cheque. Use it to help buy some decent software that makes it easier to keep the flotsam out.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Tue, 27 May 2003 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about the jetsam? theyre kinda cool...

ditto the cashola stance. i will donate some moneys if it will go towards forum reform- inc. more versatile software etc
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Wed, 28 May 2003 03:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
GT i dont think its just that, i spoke to sam b4 and at the moment i dont think there is any bridging software so we would loose all the valueable tech info

[Updated on: Wed, 28 May 2003 03:58]

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Wed, 28 May 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, jumping to another piece of software will most likely result in what happened last time. No migration possible for the data.

Sad
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Wed, 28 May 2003 04:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok when you get the cheque, just send it back.... Razz

Just kidding. Keep it and put it towards some servers or something.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Wed, 28 May 2003 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
On that note. A new server has been ordered!

Soon, we can welcome toymods.org.au to the second millenium! Very Happy
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Wed, 28 May 2003 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Wed, 28 May 2003 16:35

On that note. A new server has been ordered!

Soon, we can welcome toymods.org.au to the second millenium! Very Happy

So the forum will work all night every night? Razz
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Wed, 28 May 2003 06:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We'd hope so!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Mon, 02 June 2003 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And it wont chug come morning when I wake up and everyone is using it? Razz
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Tue, 17 June 2003 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Another example of a good thread gone bad..
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=15119&start=0&rid=9&S=a76fce087d3081 e62ca0edea5f1ef75d
No No No

WTF is with people lately???! Mad
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Tue, 17 June 2003 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
People are just too vindictive and jealous.
St3ve_AE92
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Rant Time / Suggestion for Mods - For Sale section Tue, 17 June 2003 10:50 Go to previous message
vin·dic·tive ( P ) Pronunciation Key (vn-dktv)
adj.
Disposed to seek revenge; revengeful.
Marked by or resulting from a desire to hurt; spiteful.

Laughing Laughing
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:3 cheers for "The Outhouse"
Next Topic:Changing forum email address - IMPORTANT
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 20 14:15:49 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0076470375061035 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.