Toymods » Tech & Conversions » how much for engine transplant in melb

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thekemist
Regular

August 2002
how much for engine transplant in melb Wed, 09 April 2003 15:35 Go to next message
hey guys
i have a ae92 sx
it seems from my observations not a great deal of ppl in melb do transplants to their rollas..... i hear loads of ppl in nsw and qld who have them but not much here

just want to hear from anyone who has had a 20v or gze transplant in this car

where did u buy your engine/half cut from?
who did the transplant?
how much did it cost all up?

thanx
  Send a private message to this user    
celica162
Regular

May 2002
Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Fri, 11 April 2003 03:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u want a place to do the transplant for u...
try Toyospares in Bayswater...
even tho they are a wrecking yard, there is a guy there Troy who is a real wizard when it comes to engine swaps... he has done heaps, and i rekon for the whole lot (including engine) maybe they will charge about $3,000 -> $4,000 for the swap
RSSTi
Regular

September 2002
Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Fri, 11 April 2003 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did my swap myself, i got the front cut (AE101 gze, superstrut, lsd) from asian auto spares in QLD for 1750 + 220 for frieght. it took approx 60 hours to fit and cost 500 in bits and peices (fuel pump, lines etc) on top of the front cut price. Then you'll need an exhaust and a bonnet scoop or front mount so ad about 1000.

Seca Boy got his done at IDB in Melb, try to get in contact with him for details.

Vic
xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Fri, 11 April 2003 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:
maybe they will charge about $3,000 -> $4,000 for the swap

LOL sorry mate but they quoted me $5000 for a gze conversion (even though its a different frame, so urs might be less) but i doubt it will be $3000. Although I do believe they are good at what they do, and fairly friendly.

So far ive spent around $3000+ doing the conversion and various mods (scoop etc)... The halfcut alone was $2200 delivered from QLD asian imports.

expect $4000 mate Wink

[Updated on: Fri, 11 April 2003 08:51]

LadySX
Regular

May 2002
Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Sun, 13 April 2003 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My conversion on my ae92 SX cost me about $5K all up, and I did it at home in my garage. I did however pay more than normal for my halfcut ($3,300)I got it from EKS in East Keilor, and the costs include tools and equipment to complete the conversion. That is cost from start of conversion to back on the road.
Toyospares are fantastic, I get all of my parts from them now, they are VERY helpful and friendly and very honest. Highly recommended.
IDB's is also good, but VERY VERY pricey as well
thekemist
Regular

August 2002
Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Mon, 14 April 2003 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wow
it becomes a harder choice each day. id love to have the silver top dunno why just looks stylish and classy at the same time as being a great engine but Id have to keep my car for ages to get my moneys worth if spend upto 5k on it
i may be able to source a brand new rebuilt 4age 100kw from repco for a good price as my mates dad is like some manager in head office and he has always looked after me with discounts. gonna find out what he can do for me
so if anything i could save alot throwing in a new 0kms 100kw engine ..the conversion would be easy as there is no new wiring ... and yeah i could work that engine with the cash left over by not going the conversion

decisions decisions
what do u guys think ?? think of it as being your money what do u think is most feasible
LadySX
Regular

May 2002
Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Mon, 14 April 2003 03:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the whole reason I did my conversion was because the 100kw 4age was getting tired. It started to burn oil rather quickly, and to put it briefly, was in need of a rebuild.
So I had the choice of either rebuilding, or converting to 20v or GZE. I chose the GZE mainly because it was a lower km engine to begine with, had stronger internals, and also the forced induction. At the end of the day the hassle of the car off the road and the cost involved in rebuilding and working the engine was going to be very close to the cost of the GZE anyway, and the GZE was always going to give out a better power figure, with easier potential to further develop - so hense my decision to give my car a new heart.
xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Mon, 14 April 2003 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yer same story with me

engine got tired around 235,000kms and had already blown its head gasket twice... started to overheat (foundout during conversion it was the heater coil with a pinhole)...

So in went the gze, didnt think it would cost quite as much as it did but hey Smile it seems to be going pretty cool
Seca Boy
Occasional Poster

December 2002
Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Mon, 14 April 2003 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
xpimp, where abouts in Melbourne are you? wouldn't mind checking out your ride some time. I have a GZE also.
thekemist
Regular

August 2002
Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Tue, 13 May 2003 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the new 100kw engine deal is out the window couldnt get a really good price nearly 2000$ for a brand new one and thats with a fair amount taken off.
Is there any guys in melb with the ae92 with gze. where abouts are u located i wouldnt mind seeing how the same car as mine goes with a gze
RSSTi
Regular

September 2002
Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Thu, 15 May 2003 03:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Where are you located, i'd be happy to take you for a drive.

Vic.
thekemist
Regular

August 2002
Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Thu, 15 May 2003 05:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im in oakleigh area
what about u
RSSTi
Regular

September 2002
Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Thu, 15 May 2003 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Live in northern suburbs, work in Heidelberg.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Thu, 15 May 2003 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so for a good ae82/92 rolla , and conversion - your looking at about 11k all up -
holy hell - its a lot more expensive to do a rolla than an old school celica/ turbo motor swap it seems ( example 3tgte - ta22 )

For 11K i bought My st185 Gt4 Turbo AWD , LSD's both ends - its All factory fitted + comes with some aftermarket modifications for extra fun ..

I havent been in a GZE rolla yet - so ill have to guess if its money well spent or not in the end .

xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Thu, 15 May 2003 08:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im in knox area so if u wantta go for a cruise sometime msg me Smile
Ruckus
Regular

June 2002
Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Thu, 15 May 2003 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey dude im in knox area what colours ur car and is it a hatch or sedan. might see it around some time.
xpimp
Regular

January 2003

Re: how much for engine transplant in melb Sat, 17 May 2003 12:02 Go to previous message
Have a look at the pics Wink on 4agze.cjb.net

we'll have to catchup man

XPimP
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:20V head ........
Next Topic:Rod look here Please.
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 5 19:57:02 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0067858695983887 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar