Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Classifieds » Cars For Sale & Wanted » --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
icon5.gif  --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Thu, 15 May 2003 04:13 Go to next message
Hey all, just wondering for your opinions. I rang about a 1972 TA22 today and from what it sounds it could be just what i've been looking for....

It's got a 2TGU running twin solex carbs with the 5 speed manual
he says it's got no rust, perfectly straight body with a new bonnet. Ummm interior is pulled out but he has a new dash mat? Dash has minimal cracking (how hard is the interiour to put back in?) it's got mags with new tyres and he is in the process of a full oil change.

He wants $850.00 ONO

This would be my first car, i don't need a drivable one right now, coz i am looking for a learning experience with restoration/modification but i would want it to be drivable in a few months.

Can anyone give me some pointers as to things to check when i go and look at it, and if it sounds like a decent buy?

Thanks for any info.

Jake

[Updated on: Thu, 15 May 2003 05:36]

Send a private message to this user    
truenosedan
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: 1972 TA22 Thu, 15 May 2003 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh mate sounds sick. Go and have a look at and see how it runs. Twin carb, mags etc, for $850 sounds like a fuckin bargain to me!
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: 1972 TA22 Thu, 15 May 2003 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah it comes with all that but ultimately i want to get 17" rims, and install a turbo engine.... so would it be a waste getting this?
Poolshark
Regular

February 2003

Re: 1972 TA22 Thu, 15 May 2003 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
not if its straight and rust free
that alon is worth the money
good luck
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Thu, 15 May 2003 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah poolshark said it

Staright body and no rust buy itself is a bargain for $850

"coz i am looking for a learning experience with restoration/modification "....... let me break it down for u .... $$$
TRD78
Regular

March 2003
Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Thu, 15 May 2003 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeh sounds sweet buddy, the interiors are pretty easy to put back in, tho i have done it quite a few times, but it still shouldn't take more than an a couple of hours... the the 1600 twin cams are pretty hard to come by so grab this one! Let us know if you buy it, and if you need any parts for the interior or whatever, give us a yell...
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Thu, 15 May 2003 22:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, im going to check it out tomorrow. Is there anything in particular that i should be looking for? And how would i check for rust (if it's been painted over?). I'll try and get a digital camera and take some pics to show you guys. Hopefully this is the one.

TRD78 that sounds awesome, i'll definately come to you if i need any help.

Thanks guys
sleeka73
Regular

April 2003

Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Fri, 16 May 2003 07:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man is that the project car in the newcastle trading post?
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Sat, 17 May 2003 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah it's not... it's in the qld trading post.

well i went and had a look today....

Bodywise it seemed to be in very good nick, from what i could see there was only about a 50 cent piece size of rust coming through on the bottom of the passenger door. Like i said it has a new bonnet so that's all good. Interior wise Confused well, it looks in good nick but it's all pulled out so it's hard to gauge, the guy says he bought a second TA22 at one stage for spares and has pretty much doubles of all interior parts. It's got the 2TGU in it like i said but.... he said that it needs a new throttle cable? it's too long so wouldn't get roadworthy? There is a chip in the top of the windscreen (would that affect roadworthy?) Lastly, it's got a small oil leak at the bottom of the engine, from what dad reckons (not mechanicaly minded) it's the gasket? i dunno. I'm going to get some guy who's a mechanic to go and have a look monday arvo. So we'll see.

Oh, if i remember correctly the guy who's selling it said that oil pressure is about 70 and some other pressure is 160 or something? don't quote me though.

Thanks for any feedback.
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Sat, 17 May 2003 21:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
160 would be the compression reading from one of the chambers.
sounds like a good buy. $850 is very cheap for what your getting.
justin
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Sun, 18 May 2003 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id agree with the guys - Sounds likea good buy - especially with the 2tg in it ..
I had a 1971 ta22 - so i might be able to pojnt out areas in particular with this model to look over

look for rust/bog in the rear quarter panels under the wheel arch - and behind the wheel , in the bottom corner of the doors toward the back of the car , the front fenders - same place - in the back toward the car's rear - around the windows - particularly around the front , and around the taillights ..

these are the main areas ta22's seem to rust out

as for interior - they are piss easy to put back in - very simple - the windscreen MAY pose a RWC issue if the chip will be in line of vision or appears to be progressing - and just degrease the sump for now - and then check for leaks - its either the drain plug worn out - or the sump seal - bith are pretty easy to swap in for new ones ..

re 17's - IMHO sticking with the 14's and lowering them an inch makes them look " tougher "
use old school type mags like hotwires , minilites or dragways - with a nice deep dish and a 195/205 to get the tough effect . Anything bigger or newer just looks plain wrong - its a 70's sportscar - not a ricemobile !
Ill tell you what - ill give you a set of polished supra mags if you go out and buy me the 17 inch new mags for my Gt4 ? At least then the wheels would suit the car Smile

new bonnet is a BIG bonus too
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Sun, 18 May 2003 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If ya need some else to come have have a look come and picke me up! I have a little knowledge when it comes to TA22's!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Sun, 18 May 2003 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I could also give you hand putting it all back togeather! I "might" also be able to help you out with a roadworthy!
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Sun, 18 May 2003 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool1, are you serious? where abouts in brissy are you? Do you think from what i have said, bad descriptions and all this would be a giant underatking to pull off.... being my first car and all?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Sun, 18 May 2003 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes I'm serious! I'm on the north side!
The car sounds good to me!

Send me an email or PM and i'll give you my phone number!
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Sun, 18 May 2003 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds like a good buy to me - my ta22 served me faithfully for eight years and never let me down for reliability. It had hiccups but nothing that wasnt easy to fix Smile

I think they are an ideal first car - cheap - sporty - classy looking - and can spank the hell out of excels and pulsars Smile
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Mon, 19 May 2003 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Confused Sad Crying or Very Sad

Turns out it was a hunk of crap upon a more detailed inspection...

the control arm, tie rods and brakes where all shot, the body was actually rusty as all F*#& and had been fixed with fibreglass than painted. The engine didn't start coz we turned up unnanounced and he didn't have a chance to warm it up. When it did start it blew white smoke. Lucky i didn't jump the gun and waited for a better look at it.

So..... anyone got a good condition TA22 they no of or wanna sell that isn't too far from brisbane?

Thanks
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Wed, 21 May 2003 15:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah, sorry man, mines not for sale Very Happy
boris
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
On probation

January 2003
Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Thu, 22 May 2003 01:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No need to rub salt into the wounds...... Crying or Very Sad
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: --> Desperately Need Opinions --> 1972 TA22 Thu, 22 May 2003 08:51 Go to previous message
If u get desparate and are willing to travel......aim South and keep driving till u see an opera house....then call me

Ta
Mani
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:vh commodore must go
Next Topic:WANTED! RA28 Or RA40 Coupe
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 14:08:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0058138370513916 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.