Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kristian
Regular

June 2002

Qs, about engineers ceritificate Mon, 24 June 2002 13:18 Go to next message
Hi guys , need advice

I've been offered a ae86 with a 4age, but with no engineers certificate. How important is the certificate ?...

Thnks all
  Send a private message to this user    
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Tue, 25 June 2002 07:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not heaps important, there are ways to get by that aren't totally illegal.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Tue, 25 June 2002 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
please explain
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Tue, 25 June 2002 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe, no worries Pauline! Razz

It's not too hard to get a change of engine number certificate if you can convince the guy writing it (both engine numbers will start with 4A).
Plus I remember ribbo talking about how 4A-GE sprinters were imported into Australia by Toyota (in very, very small numbers) but RTA doesn't have any records of that, or something along those lines. It might be better to wait to hear from other people (where are ya ribbo?).
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Tue, 25 June 2002 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ahhh, this debate comes up often... there are always people who have modified cars that are done well and are safe that try to convince others that an engineers certificate is not totally necessary for this or that reason... then there are those who argue that a engineers certificate is a must for all modifications.

at the end of the day, there are always going to be dodgy people out there who do dodgy and unsafe modifications. the authorities insist that an engineers certificate is necessary to weed out those who do mods that are dangerous and can potentially cause harm to people or property.

now i'm one of the people who have mods and no certificates, and in my opinion, the money i would have to spend on an engineers certificate is better spent elsewhere (on more mods). now my father is a motor mechanic and he has in one way or another been involved with every modification performed on my celica, along with many others, including engineers, fitter and turners, auto elecs, etc. now, even in his opinion and the opinions of others, an engineers certificate will only confirm what we already know - the mods are not unsafe.

now i'm not about to go out and get an engineer certificate for each and every mod i have done, cos i can't justify the cost to have someone admire my handywork. but if it came to the point where i got involved with the authorities, i may reconsider. until then...
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Tue, 25 June 2002 08:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How much of a fine can you cop for an illegally modified vehicle.
Its a matter of time for some cars. eg mine... Its a bog stock looking ke70 Pavnelvan, fairly neat tho, but with one noisy 4AG because its running the orig ke70 exhaust but no resonator..When ever I rev it the whole street reverberates...Not so great if a cops behind me at the lights and I give it a bit of boot... Ke70's arnt supposed to go like that..

The money im going to pay in fine(when I eventually get caught) could be put toward the cert..
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Tue, 25 June 2002 11:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's always a good idea to get an engineers certificate, just make sure you get him to include every little mod on your car, get your moneys worth. It should be around $350, although I think they've gone up or are going up soon (can anyone confirm this?).
My previous coments were pretty specific towards the sprinter/4AG conversion. Something like a ke with a 4AG I would deffinately have engineered.
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Tue, 25 June 2002 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rang VicRoads and asked them to send me out a list of engineers in victoria that could aid me in modifying my car legally. The girl on the other end was very helpful and sent out a double sided A4 page with the list on it. That sheet is now on my wall Smile.

I was also advised that car would need to visit Vicroads where they would match the new engine number to my chassis on their records.

Hope this helps.

If you cannot get hold of the list, I'd be happy to send it to you.

Perhaps toymods would like to host a page with engineers in each state's details?
disco stu
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Tue, 25 June 2002 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I second thins. It would be a great help to have an article on engineers that people have used. Better than that though, a list of import wreckers because I have a hell of a time finding them...

Tim
Apollo
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Tue, 25 June 2002 22:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dorikin wrote on Tue, 25 June 2002 6:12 PM

ahhh, this debate comes up often... there are always people who have modified cars that are done well and are safe that try to convince others that an engineers certificate is not totally necessary for this or that reason... then there are those who argue that a engineers certificate is a must for all modifications.

at the end of the day, there are always going to be dodgy people out there who do dodgy and unsafe modifications. the authorities insist that an engineers certificate is necessary to weed out those who do mods that are dangerous and can potentially cause harm to people or property.

now i'm one of the people who have mods and no certificates, and in my opinion, the money i would have to spend on an engineers certificate is better spent elsewhere (on more mods). now my father is a motor mechanic and he has in one way or another been involved with every modification performed on my celica, along with many others, including engineers, fitter and turners, auto elecs, etc. now, even in his opinion and the opinions of others, an engineers certificate will only confirm what we already know - the mods are not unsafe.

now i'm not about to go out and get an engineer certificate for each and every mod i have done, cos i can't justify the cost to have someone admire my handywork. but if it came to the point where i got involved with the authorities, i may reconsider. until then...

So this means you arn't insured? But if you are, then how did you get insurace without a cert?
faulksy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Wed, 26 June 2002 15:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres no point in having insurance if your car isnt road legal. If your involved in a car accidient they will just take one look at your motor and say no way.
Speed Demon
Regular

May 2002
icon5.gif  Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Thu, 27 June 2002 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what about Third Party insurance.....if u hit someone, third party only covers the cost of damages to the other car/property....so does it matter if your car has been modified or not?
inferno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Thu, 27 June 2002 10:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this reminds me of an article in march fast fours, some dude in NZ crashed his car into some truck. The car (which had no rear springs) cost the bloke $20, but the guys in dept of $15000NZ to the insurance company now becuase of the truck. Not sure if the same is true for Australia.

I personally don't like the idea of engineers. I got quoted something like $900 to engineer a 3TGTE (40hp increase stock) into my TA22 because he had to do an 'integrity test' and shit, yet theres guys with 13Bs and 500hp engines in their TA22s. I don't think most cops care what you've got under the bonnet (or are smart enough to tell), so long as you don't go silly with it.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Thu, 27 June 2002 10:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey inferno, just try a couple of different engineers. In my opinion it seems totally up to the individual engineer, some will insist on big brakes & others will settle for sportier pads.
There are plenty of reasonable ones out there.
inferno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Thu, 27 June 2002 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bigworm- good idea but theres definately some engineers that have the monopoly out there, i got refeered to this one guy about 4 times (once from the rego place, the others from guys that had done it before).
next time i'll just have to look-out for one of the more 'dodgey' engineers that don't care about testing my car to the specs of a McClaren.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Fri, 28 June 2002 04:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
try this guy (for NSW)
PHIL : 9545 0857

he's cheap, and reasonable. An engineers cert shouldn't cost you more than $400 really, so shop around.
You also might want to try max's engineer (forget the name and number). Apparently he's pretty good
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon14.gif  Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Fri, 28 June 2002 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draven - Frank LOHNING in Peakhurst NSW

call Lohning Brothers or Lohning Engineering
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Fri, 28 June 2002 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
here's the list of regonised engineers

http://www.kitcarsaustralia.com/html/body_engineer s.html
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: Qs, about engineers ceritificate Fri, 28 June 2002 07:42 Go to previous message
my insurance has been told about the mods i have on my car: later model corolla engine, same capacity, steering wheel, wheels, etc, and they are fine with it, it is insured. you should see my statement, the list almost runs off the page in the "mods" section. and never once was there question to the legality of the mods. it's not my problem anymore, the insurance company insured me with those mods with no further question, it's out of my hands. BTW i have RACV third party fire theft.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:AE92 Lower Control Arm Bush replacement
Next Topic:crank angle sensor ae86 20v
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 07:00:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0047380924224854 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.