Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ronin11
Occasional Poster

October 2002

ta22 questions Mon, 19 May 2003 10:14 Go to next message
im based in vic and looking at selling my 5th gen celica and getting a 1st gen.. money reasons only.. 5th gen is fine..

just wondering.. anything i should look for out of the ordinary with a 1st gen(ta22)??
what sort of price am i looking at paying for a stock one.. cause i dont wanna buy one already modded. want one that is running of course.. its replacing another car.

anywayz, any help is appreciated.
  Send a private message to this user    
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta22 questions Mon, 19 May 2003 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22's have nearly bulletproof mechanicals, but of course any 30 year old car is going to show signs of aging. The major thing you have to watch for is chronic rust and/or dodgy smash repairs. Unfortunately it's becoming very difficult to buy a straight rust-free TA22 these days. Sad

Prices vary considerably because of the variable condition of the cars out there. You can get a dunger for a few hundred bucks, or you might score a restored minter for $5k. Most are somewhere in between.
Miss 22
Regular

May 2003
Re: ta22 questions Mon, 19 May 2003 11:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am actually buying a ta22 celica too (1971-1975) and i found it hard to find one that was straight, i was also looking for a fairly standard straight bodied little rust, that was manual and registered, soon enough i found that that would be too hard and i am looking more into just finding a nice bodied one, it'll probably be unregistered and without a motor, but all things that a little work and ALOT of money can handle. Good choice too, the ta22 models are sick!! Good luck in the search!
MEL
stylez
Regular

October 2002

Re: ta22 questions Mon, 19 May 2003 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
buy the best car you can afford, if its modded/ restored then you are better off, itll be far cheaper in the long run, you will have a better/nicer car, and you will have less risk of a nasty surprise.

look through the past cars for sale on the board and find what your money may get you.
dlwd3w
Regular

May 2003
Re: ta22 questions Mon, 19 May 2003 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beautiful cars, nothing else explains it
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: ta22 questions Mon, 19 May 2003 22:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it just me or does refering to TA22's as 1st gen and other celicas as 2nd gen, 3rd gen, etc, sound very american?

im not taking the piss, what does everyone else think?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: ta22 questions Mon, 19 May 2003 23:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
good move there.

seriously you want to take your time in looking. getting a really good one with no rust may cost you a few bob, but, it will be worth it in the end.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: ta22 questions Tue, 20 May 2003 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah rob, i rekon it sounds yankee too!
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: ta22 questions Tue, 20 May 2003 03:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I am not sure if toyota do it differently, but normally the different series/generations in vehicle models is governed by the floor pan, in this case, I think the TA22 through to RA28 could all be called 1st gen celicas. I am not sure if the RA40 or RA60 celicas share the same floor pan as the early ones.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: ta22 questions Tue, 20 May 2003 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You hit the nail on the head. The A2X Celicas were the first gen. The A4X was the next, followed by the A6X. If you follow the guidelines for Toyota model names, pretty simple to work out that TA22, TA23, RA23 and RA28 were all variations of the A2X Celica chassis.
ronin11
Occasional Poster

October 2002

Re: ta22 questions Wed, 21 May 2003 07:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im not in any rush, i got a 1991 celica ATM that im looking tog et rid of when i get it RW.. only needs tyres AFAIK.. when i get them ill have more info, but once thats gone ill be looking to buy a 1st gen Smile
moo4AGZETA22
Regular

April 2003
Re: ta22 questions Wed, 21 May 2003 10:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi,
You can't go wrong with a TA22!!!!!
I think they are the best looking Celica made! There are a few things you should consider however.
1. If you want to keep it standard, a TA22 is the go
2. If you intend on shoving in a more powerful engine, perhaps an RA23 might be better. It has more engine options (ease of installation), plus there is information in the tech section on putting on cost effective brakes.
3. You can still put 2TG's, 3TG's, 4AGE's of all varieties in a TA22 with ease. Just the engine bay is just a bit short to fit the inline Toyota 6's (It can be done though). Check the engine installation guide.
I hope this goes some way to helping you???!!!

Cheers,
Justin Rolling Eyes
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: ta22 questions Wed, 21 May 2003 14:42 Go to previous message
rob_RA40 wrote on Tue, 20 May 2003 08:00

is it just me or does refering to TA22's as 1st gen and other celicas as 2nd gen, 3rd gen, etc, sound very american?

im not taking the piss, what does everyone else think?

i have no probs with it, i think it makes things eaiser, less confussion.
justin

ps. good choice re the 22.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:mad for doughnuts
Next Topic:got my personalised plates :)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 21:40:34 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061600208282471 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.