Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Sat, 17 May 2003 02:27 Go to next message
Hey all

In a couple of yrs i wanna do an engine swap on a car that will redefine the word "sleeper"

Just wondering what cars would a 3S-GTE fit into without moving the firewall back?

Ta
Mani
  Send a private message to this user    
BansheeBuzz
Regular

January 2003
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Sat, 17 May 2003 07:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Forget a 3s

454 into a ke20 corolla. Remove rear seats boot and tank. Cause the engines goin in the back!! Bolted up to a porsche transaxle so its still rear wheel drive. Mount fuel tank under the bonnet. Now thats a wheely popin sleeper
toycelica77
Regular

February 2003
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Sat, 17 May 2003 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
honda ct110 with 4A-GE transplant

what?... they're putting them in everythig else nowadays Laughing
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Sat, 17 May 2003 11:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
get yourself a KE10. White. Stock cheese cutters. Cream vinyl interior. Stock seats. Stock ride height.

3S-GTE 400hp+

re-define "traction issues" Very Happy
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Sat, 17 May 2003 12:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Sat, 17 May 2003 21:37

get yourself a KE10. White. Stock cheese cutters. Cream vinyl interior. Stock seats. Stock ride height.

3S-GTE 400hp+

re-define "traction issues" Very Happy

heheh

nice call
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Sun, 18 May 2003 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im writing these down and ill research them over time

And yeah forgot to mention it needs to be RWD or something FWD that can easily be converted to RWD......cause a FWD car would be even more of a sleeper

Thanx
Mani
IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Sun, 18 May 2003 02:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about a 3SGTE into an old RWD Corona..there are lots of grandpas that bought these and with a set of mags they look really nice, ok not really nice but at least Ive seen a few that make me go ...wow that doesent look too bad Smile, there are plenty of parts around and there are always good ones at deceased estate auctions, it should be a straight bolt up to the box as well??

just something Ive been thinking on for a while Smile
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Sun, 18 May 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx Michael

I dont want a car thats too old though as im sik of running around for parts....travelling here and there only to find out they';re not in good condition etc

but coronas are rather plentifull ....will write that one down

Ta
Mani

Shteeve
Regular

July 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Mon, 19 May 2003 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if you want something relatively new, and that no-one would expect to go fast, why not go a 1990s tarago with a 1jzgte shoehorned in??? Evil or Very Mad
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Mon, 19 May 2003 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I like that idea. We've all seen heavily modified Corollas, Coronas, Cressidas, Crowns, you name it... the sleeper value of all these cars is diminished because people have made them fast. A sleeper has to be something that no-one would EVER expect to be fast, and a Tarago fits the bill nicely!

I dunno how you'd go fitting a straight six under the seats (the 3Y is a bit of a squeeze as it is), but I'm sure you could get something turbo in there with a bit of effort. I'd sure like to see a Tarago do a 13 second pass at the drags! Very Happy
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Mon, 19 May 2003 11:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
20B in a sprinter ?!
or sr20det in a sprinter Very Happy
Soarin
Regular

June 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Mon, 19 May 2003 12:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shteeve wrote on Mon, 19 May 2003 11:56

well if you want something relatively new, and that no-one would expect to go fast, why not go a 1990s tarago with a 1jzgte shoehorned in??? Evil or Very Mad

LOL Laughing

I'm tempted to turbocharge my Tarago hehe Razz

Imagine... a '99 Tarago with turbo... hehhehehheh Evil or Very Mad
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Mon, 19 May 2003 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How about a Crown station wagon (an older one with those nice lines and a full rail chassis) with a twin turboed 1UZ, that would scare a few.......... Rolling Eyes
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Mon, 19 May 2003 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sprintr wrote on Mon, 19 May 2003 21:13

or sr20det in a sprinter Very Happy

LMFAO!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Mon, 19 May 2003 22:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the torago would be a good idea if u can bare to be driving one, there are a few hiaces running round with turbos and the trail bikers have always been doing up their vans ever since i can remember so, a hiace mightn't have the 'WTF factor' your looking for.

same with the 2WD hilux with the mini-truck scene taking off and attracting the P platers.

i reckon 4 door Mk2 corona or latest model RWD corona, torago, MS112 (i think) crown, or KE70 corolla wagon...
seeks
Regular

September 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Gday,

Old Buttercup yellow corona sedan with a "jesus" fish sticker on it.

And of course a 1jz under the bonnet.

Catchas,
Seeks!
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 03:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
seeks wrote on Tue, 20 May 2003 11:57

Gday,

....with a "jesus" fish sticker on it.....

Yeah a Jesus sticker will turn anything into a sleeper....nice one!!
HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
some may call it predictable, but i was shocked and awed when a white two door rav4 turbo absolutely caned all these vtec hondas at a recent er.. meet. The only Honda it lost to was a certain s2000 on that night. Stock rims and introvertial exhaust, the Honda boys (and girl) didnt know what hit them

good thing is, its already got 4wd grip Razz

cheers
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 07:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah im looking for total WTF factor

I was thinking cressida but they;re too big...so tarago is def out

I cant go too old cause im sick of sourcing parts so the crown idea cant go through.....prob something in the mid 80's

Im thinking maybe RWD conversion on a festiva or something like that and do a swap....just to give u an idea of how much WTF factor i want

EDIT: Actually im liking the Corona idea.....theres a white corona around my area adverted for $1200....its auto but a man conversion should be kool

b4 i buy it id have to sus out $$$

Thanx Guys
Mani

[Updated on: Tue, 20 May 2003 07:51]

sleeka73
Regular

April 2003

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 09:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
turboed mighty boy Rolling Eyes WTF?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 09:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how about late model tercel with GT4 engine and rear end?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if you can EVER got one complianced in the country - an old RWD KP starlet. Check out bill sherwoods site cos he's got one.

Oh, or a KE50 - they are so goddam ugly no one would EVER suspect it to go fast! i mean, can u seriously imagine THIS to go fast?
http://groups.msn.com/_Secure/0TADeAsAWqW*SNpxMJOUGF7QnGv3xs1uO!4vvFCKC2wv49*3f!abZ2X2CeyNy9MtymGYkodAdnbxFzMWOizsGOyzFM*r8GGFJcbqxNWoOqRfK*Kn3dEvhKw/smaller-POS-rear.jpg?dc=4675422612652207990

Just add yourself a 400HP 3S-GTE

[Updated on: Tue, 20 May 2003 09:35]

nup_4ac
Occasional Poster

August 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
83-85 model nimbus

with a vr4 motor in it, plus a big arse turbo

a 13 second twin sliding door 6 seater cruise mobile!!!
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 09:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice thought....getting on the right track... but i want RWD not 4WD rob

"if you can EVER got one complianced in the country "....this immediately means rare....hence annoying for parts Karl

Ok with the tarago's and the Nimbus ideas.....guys.....lets stay away from the people movers

nice thoughts though

Im still liking the corona idea

Ta
Mani
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hillman Hunter
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 10:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Old + Rare = impossible for parts

Ta for the reply though
Mani
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmmmmmm ok how bout a 1964 UP10 (Publica)? I think I know where there's one for sale!

http://www.toyotaclub.org/images/queen02/65publica1_524.jpg
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sam.....im a very busy man.... i dont have time for your foreplay

Smile

[Updated on: Tue, 20 May 2003 11:21]

mr spears
Regular

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 16:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the idea ive had for a while is not so much a sleeper.... just something crazy i wanna do later for fun with my bro. a suzuki mighty boy rwd conv with a 12a or 13b turbo, so.....DONT DO THIS!!! cos i wanna!
mr spears
Regular

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 17:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i love the van idea too but ive seen the ultimate version of this.... some nissan van with an sr20det! the best part? it has the disabled stickers on it and wheelchair gear in the back! i was told the owner is a quadraplegic and has nurses drive for him! it looked old and dodgy too i only remember the 747 part of the no# plate so beware!
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 20 May 2003 22:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry mani.. it's just from your first post you said you want to "redefine the word sleeper"... Very Happy
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Wed, 21 May 2003 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the jesus sticker idea guys! I already have the 'Baby on Board" suction cap thingy! The only other sticker required is my "It's Criminal how low Qld police are paid!" sticker. for suck up value of course.

Probably doesn't suit the toyota site, but check out www.fullboost.com.au and look at the L300 on the front page. 350CI chev with NOS and runs 10.8. still has roof racks and the plumbers pipe!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Wed, 21 May 2003 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What about a Subaru WRX with a 3SGTE in it!

No one would expect one of those WRX things beating anything! Very Happy Very Happy

Oh and I saw an old granny (80+) in an original looking (green/brown) series 2 (maybe 1) RX7. She's probably owned it since new.

You can make anything look like a granny car:

Crappy (OLD can't be new) hubcaps
Granny quilt on the back seat
Bowling hat on rear parcel shelf
Must be faded brown or faded white
Never wash it (have only washed mine 3 times in a year Shocked sacrelidge)
Wind deflector on driver and passenger window

Cressidas are good for sleepers as they can fit a 1J and they can look like a granny car (as well as look great with mags etc.)

wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Wed, 21 May 2003 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I knew a guy in Adelaide who had an 80's style Hiace van. Army green with a white roof.
It had a 7M-GE under the front seats.
12 sec 1/4 mile.
Went for a ride with him & he blew off a WRX at a set of lights! Laughing Wasn't the WRX driver pissed off! Tried again at the next lights & still lost. Turned off after that, prolly too embarrassed.
He'd tried a 7M-GTE but it got too hot because not enough airflow.
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Wed, 21 May 2003 09:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah im liking the corona idea
i might actually see this corona this weekend

yeah ive got a Cops R Tops sticker.....thatll be good.....baby on board will be nice too

but thats it

So yeah im probably gonna go a corona fella's.....now to research like ive never researched b4 !!!

Thanx For the advice guys

Mani
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Wed, 21 May 2003 10:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Called the guy
$1200 for an 198X model corona.....no panel damage....a few spots of surface rust

looks to be the go
I think ill see it tomrorow night

Ta
Mani
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Wed, 21 May 2003 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well, if you go for an XT130 then i could give you some info. for help or if it is an XT141, SHIFTY from performance forums is fitting a hipo 1g-gte into his.

go the xt130!

later
chris
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Wed, 21 May 2003 10:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats mad of u

Ill find out

Theres another car in the for sale and wanted section too which looks tempting aswell

TA
Mani
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Wed, 21 May 2003 21:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont go the XT130 it has all the shitty borg warner gear on it, if u want a good corona platform go the RT141 Avante`, it has lotsa mod cons, discs all round, F series IRS rear end (stick a MA61 LSD in), EFI fuel tank/pump, power rack and peanut steering, facotry aircon etc etc etc

coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Thu, 22 May 2003 00:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you want a corona go a mark2 i've got one. No one knoew what the fck they are and when they find out they're like a CORONA? Shocked they kind of look like the RX3 they come with a 4m so you can bolt a 5m and im pretty sure u can put a 7m in with minor mods to the engine mounts.
they're rwd my 76 cherped thirds in the wet they're a drift machine. ask giant tomato he's got a coupe theyre the motehr of sleepers.
I got done by a hand held radar the cop said nice Mk2, i had a bit of a chat with him i didnt have my licence on me so he said have u been done b4 i said yeah i got done last week for an illegal u turn he said cool if it al checks out i'll let u off $50 and a point i was clocked doin a 114 in an 80 he alleged it at 104.
cant complain Very Happy
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Thu, 22 May 2003 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob - i believe the technical term is "Racoon Peanut" Razz

Mani - yeah stick with the R-series Corona's, mainly the RT-132 and RT-142 since they are both easier to do the conversions on becuase they have the better quality gear in them.

The RT-132 has similar running gear to an RA2/4* celica, and the 18R (i think) which makes it a candidate for a 1G-GTE. There are squillions of these guys about.

The RT-142 like Rob has said has all the next level gear you find in the later *A6* models... and makes for a good platform for an even STRONGER 1G-GTE or even a 1JZ-GTE!!!
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Thu, 22 May 2003 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanx Rob and Carl ..... Much appreciated...

And coronamark2.....thanx for the reply but like i said i dont want anything older than 80's as parts are a hoare to get

Thanx heaps
Mani

Gonna go see one of 2 coronas im seeing tonight
and the other one on saturday
Mx73_LuXoBarge
Regular

October 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Thu, 22 May 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This isn't an option simply because of the unavailability of parts but i thought you guys might like Very Happy

My uncle has a 195X (?) Go-go mobile dart which came with a tiny little 400-600cc moto engine (i dont know the exact specs cause I don't care). he is currently aquiring a 1100cc BMW engine to slap in the back. At the same time he is doing this, anothre friend is supercharging his 250cc run about/fun bike....if only they would work together. Evil or Very Mad

P.s. the bike rider is 18 and just purchased a BRAND SPANKIN YZF-R1 . That's right folks, 18 years old and he owns a 300km/h+ bike... he's going to be sorely missed Rolling Eyes
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Thu, 22 May 2003 14:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how bout an SV21 in it with a turbo celica engine... Or even a 13bt. I'm thinkin station wagon.
A baby seat in the back. And if you can get your hands on some of those real cheesy 80's decals, it'd complete the look. Also, y'know those real dodgy aftermerket "toyota" key hole covers, and the reflective door strips would be nice too. And those oversized dorky 80s rain/wind visors on the door windows. Those beaded seat covers would go down a treat.

Oh, did I forget to mention some bubbly BROWN window tinting that's not holding up hahahahahaha...

And don't wash your car ever!
now Imagine that ripping type Rs and what have yous Smile Smile

ROCK ON.
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Fri, 23 May 2003 00:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what years are the RT142's?

yeah, i have had to change heaps of stuff in my corona like diff brakes etc. so i don't actually know what it had standard but i wouldn't imagine that it would be very tough just by the old shitfire engine it has standard Smile
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Fri, 23 May 2003 01:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
forget the corona the way to make a sleeper is get yourself a genuine lancer EVO, replace the body kit with a dody copy, add 5" tip, ROH mags, neons, a couple subs and a shopping list and bingo no-one will ever suspect that its actually a quick car. Laughing
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Fri, 23 May 2003 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah thats what u call a Riced-Sleeper
also a good idea....would be fun but i cant stand that crap so id prefer the traditional grandpa look sleeper

gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Sun, 25 May 2003 10:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i recon stick a 3s gte in the st141 Wink

my sister has a smick st141 with a real good condition body (1 rust spot) and metal flakey sorta paint

to bad it wont be that good condition when shes finished with it :/

would make for a very sleepery 3sgte transplant

as for the evo idea, would be nice to get an evo 5 and replace the bumpers with oem non colour coded ones rip of the fibreglass shit try get it real stock evo looking Wink

[Updated on: Sun, 25 May 2003 10:23]

manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Sun, 25 May 2003 10:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah im either gonna go a 1G, 3s-gte, or 1jz

if the 1jz fits ill go the 1jz

if not ....ill have to decide between the other two

Mani
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Sun, 25 May 2003 22:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what ive read over the years on the 3S swap the ST141 also runs a boarg warner gearbox so the bellhousing wont be able to bolt to a W5# box...

can anyone confirm?
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Mon, 26 May 2003 01:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, a friend of mine has an ST141 and it has a Borg-Warner 4-speed and diff. Apparently the wagon versions have 5-speeds though, but I'm not sure if that's a BW or Toyota box.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Mon, 26 May 2003 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you any of you guys know what shape xmemeber is in the rt-142
I'm considering putting my 1G into one and was wondering about th sump configuration.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Mon, 26 May 2003 01:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ST141 crossmember looks similar to the RA6x, ie front-sump configuration. I expect the RT142 is the same.
trent
Newcomer

August 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Tue, 27 May 2003 16:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 5 speed is also a borg warner.
it was an option in both the sedan and wagon. it has the same first four gear ratios as the four speed and i think they are identical except for the extension housing for 5th gear.
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Help deciding on the ultimate sleeper Wed, 28 May 2003 11:32 Go to previous message
Bugman wrote on Mon, 26 May 2003 13:42

Do you any of you guys know what shape xmemeber is in the rt-142
I'm considering putting my 1G into one and was wondering about th sump configuration.

I can confirm for you that a TT142 Corona (I think that was the code, 3T-GTEU motor anyway) crossmember can be swapped directly with a TA63 Carina crossmember. The TA63 crossmember is also identical to the RA63 crossmember (Jap import Celica with 18RGEU/W55) other than for the engine mounts. A quick inspection also showed the SA63 crossmember to be similar. Therefore the appropriate sump set for your 1G should fit it into all the above cars, you MAY even be able to use a GA6* (unsure, 1 I think it is) crossmember to go straight into your Corona.

Callum
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Nothing to do on a rainy evening? Why not get smashed? :(
Next Topic:The best site EVA (RICE)
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 21:48:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0094261169433594 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.