Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
BLUE
Newcomer

May 2003
AE86 newbie Tue, 20 May 2003 17:58 Go to next message
I am seriously thinking of getting an AE86. My question is:
What the difference between trueno and levin, other than the pop up lights?
Is it better to get Australian sprinter or to get it from japan and how to get it from japan?

I am in love with this car, how much budget am i expecting to spend?

Please help Surprised
  Send a private message to this user    
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 newbie Tue, 20 May 2003 18:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You're gonna get a lot of replies to this thread .. i think.

Just do not mention drifting and Initial D. Saves you a lot of useless reading and abuse.
But do make sure you buy it for the right reasons, and not for being a hyped up car. Real research will do you well.

A trueno and levin's difference are only teh front and rear lights to my knowledge.

Finding a sprinter with a 4age [or any other good engine] already in it would probably be best. Which 4age sprinters can go for 4g to 7-8g? ..

An imported trueno or levin might cost you more than you expect as it sounds as tho the prices of ae86's are skyrocketing pass the prices of like Nissan Skyline GTS-t's.
How ever an imported Trueno or Levin will get you a slightly different interior, better seats, better dash [er speed rpm etc], LSD rear diff with rear disc brakes[hard to find and can cost around 1500-2000], ventilated front disc brakes, and of course the stock 4age.

Insurance may cost more since it's an import. However you would not have to get the engine engineered. Also you wouldn't want to break any import only parts like a trueno front bar or levin rear lights as it won't be easy to find.

And if you really love the car for it's history and cult status, then maybe this is the car for you.

A bonus in importing is since it's under the 15 year rule, there is no need for compliancing even tho I've heard a few changes still need to be made ..

Quite a bit of work is needed to make sprinters drift/race/do just about anything besides daily driving well.

4ac sprinter = 2g-4g
4age sprinter = 4g-8g
4agze or 20v sprinter = 5g-9g
import = 8-13g?
worked nicely 4age/4agze/20v/or some other good engine = 8-12g

There should probably be some sort of sticky thread for this question Smile
BLUE
Newcomer

May 2003
AE86 newbie Tue, 20 May 2003 18:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What is Initial D? I saw a blue 86 at Old Pacific Highway, the car looks gorgeous. Then I saw this white one at glebe. Man I know it is an old car for 5000-10000 I can get something newer. I don't know, might sound unreasonable but I am thinking of getting this car badly. I heard someone getting the GT-Apex version for about 3400 AUD from Japan, is it a good deal? How much to comply? And what is GTV Trueno? Thanks guys Smile
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 newbie Wed, 21 May 2003 01:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Save yourself the trouble and get a S13!

Unless you got money to spend.... no I mean BURN!!... Go for a S13 or R32!
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 newbie Wed, 21 May 2003 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hah hah Speedie ... me thinks a big fat cheque is coming out your bank pretty soon unless you plan on selling a kidney. Laughing

Seriously though ... these cars are 20 years old now so expect to spend a lot of money just to get them in shape. You'd then realise that you could have gotten a Toyota Starlet GT or Mazda MX5 by the time you put some money into one. Sad

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/magneticrose/BR1.JPG
BLUE
Newcomer

May 2003
AE86 newbie Wed, 21 May 2003 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys, which is better?
Australian Sprinter for about $2000 standard, and put the 4AGE transplant
Australian Sprinter modified with 4AGE for about $5000
Private import GT-Apex with the retractable headlight for about $4000-$5000.
I am thinking 20% street use, 80% racetrack Very Happy
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: AE86 newbie Wed, 21 May 2003 22:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you won't be able to find an import for around 4000-5000 thats almost impossible unless your paying for a exdrift car or a lemon which is not in very good condition. Expect to pay 8-10k for a decent car.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 newbie Thu, 22 May 2003 01:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a car in japan for 3400 sounds about right
but to get it here landed it ends up aound the 7-8 k mark

you have to pay GST, import tax, dealer charges, FOB (buyer in japan) fees, shipping (around $2000 without insurance) etcetc

a GTV is a model of the sprinetr trueno/corolla levin

basically the ae86 had 3 trim variations

the GT Apex (the best one with all the luxuries and sports bits with special suspension)
the GTV (just the sports bits with no luxuries or special parts [suspension mainly])
and the SR which was the closest equivalent to aus spec sprinters( basically stock boring trim with no special bits or luxuries)

then you have the AE85 which is the crappy 3ac carby engine in a shell of an SR ae86

good luck with your hunt!
and welcome to an addiction you will never see the end of
if you fall in love with the '86, consider yourself a poor man for life!

just ask any of the 86 owners here.. Smile

joyride
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

January 2003
Re: AE86 newbie Thu, 22 May 2003 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Thu, 22 May 2003 11:16

if you fall in love with the '86, consider yourself a poor man for life!
just ask any of the 86 owners here.. Smile

present!!! Confused
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: AE86 newbie Thu, 22 May 2003 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
no offence, but 3400 dollars sounds like a lemon.
But you could get lucky..

These japanese people love their sprinters more than we do, and at that price, there has to be something wrong with the car. There are plenty of $3400 sprinters in japan, so don't get to swept away by it.

I reckon it could be a frankenstein (many chassis' welded together to make a complete car). The clean levin/trueno's in japan don't often change owners. It's mostly the raced out, beated up ones that get sold often.

And as ae86drift said, by the time it lands here, it'll be 7k +.
Compliancing will be.
1. New tyres,
2. Petrol cap.
3. some labels
4. seat belts.
5. and side intrusion bars (anyone know wtf these are?).

86drift: Just out of curiousity, does the stock Apex model come with side skirts? I think one of my mates got jibbed, cause he bought a levin apex, and it came with none. Just a front lip.

Rock ON>
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: AE86 newbie Thu, 22 May 2003 14:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and by the way...

a lot of people reckon that 86s are dirt CHEAP just cause theyre old. when they find out the price, they are like WTF? 3k for that stock rust bucket.

they simply are not value for money.... period.
Their upkeep is high, because they are an old car. Parts are scarce, cause they're aren't that many on the road. And they demand a premium on the purchse price based on their huge popularity. Ask haro or anyone else.

But you get something in this car that no other car has to offer. And that is why people are willing to pay the hefty price for one.
In terms of value for money on a car with awesome handling.. I'm thinking of two cars.

1. Series 4 rx7 turbo: Fantastic purchase price buy (146kw for under 8k! 50/50 balance to boot). But it is shit expensive to maintain.
2. s13 silvia. Great hot up potential. Sooo much after market support. Rock solid. cheap to run and maintain.

But if your heart is set on a sprinter, be prepared to shell out 7k+ for a decently performing one.

ROCK ON.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 May 2003 14:51]

sated
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: AE86 newbie Thu, 22 May 2003 19:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just dont go for a ride in a car with a sorted chassis, suspension & brake setup, aftermarket ecu, strong bottom end, cams, flowed head and making around 200hp. Coz then its gets bad, real bad. - esp if your car doenst do all that.

But if bad is ok, go for it!
Its a good car. *great when sorted.

good luck

James

p/s: what ever you do, stay away from cars with quad throttles esp if your car doesnt have em. It becomes a must have at all cost almost instantly. Bad.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 newbie Mon, 16 February 2004 10:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can someone tell me bout the aussie delivered sprinters ? i.e. how many versions of them are there ? they have 4ac .. .no power anything

i am currently doing a search Surprised
silvercil40
Regular

August 2003
Re: AE86 newbie Mon, 16 February 2004 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If youre thinking 80% track use then aus spec levin is the only choice. A trueno will leave you broke and take FOREVER to get here, and aus spec levin parts are more accessable.
If you are going for soo much track use go for the s13
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: AE86 newbie Tue, 17 February 2004 02:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why has no one mentioned bills site?

http://www.billzilla.org/ae86stock.htm

spend a few days surfing this, and you'll know everything you wanted to know about AE86.

dodgydan
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 newbie Wed, 18 February 2004 01:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I guess the side intrusion bars are parts of the doors. A while ago i had a set of doors up for sale. In compared with teh oz door. It was alot lighter and was minus a huge bar down teh side which i guess is the side intrusion bar. Same as side impact bar???

Anyway 86's aren't cheap. To this day i have almost accumilated almost 8-10k of reciepts and this year i'm looking at another 7 or so. Including respray rebuild and drive train work.

None of my money has gone to ricing up with stickers e.t.c.

If track work is your thing. I'd recommend u to get a jap spec of some flavor. Something with the classic 4age + front vented discs + lsd. Throw in a nice suspension kit rims and tyres and u'r off.

If u'r serious. Get a cheap oz spec. Cough up 10k ontop and do some seriuos work. Maybe a rb26 Laughing. Its up to personal choice. But my choice of the 4age is coz it a very drivable motor where u can be not worried about putting the foot down and spinning out and the power where u want it. 4000 rpm plus.

I don't think anyone explained what the 4age is.
If not
1.6l 4 cylinder 16v/20v twin cam motor putting out between 88kw to 240hp (Formula atlantic model).
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 newbie Wed, 18 February 2004 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silvercil40 wrote on Mon, 16 February 2004 22:31

A trueno will leave you broke and take FOREVER to get here

correct and correct

Laughing
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: AE86 newbie Wed, 18 February 2004 03:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=shcao wrote on Fri, 23 May 2003 00:33]

quote]

Steel bars in the door to save your life if you ever get T-Boned, well im pretty sure thats them..
-=NiGz=-
Regular

January 2004
Re: AE86 newbie Wed, 18 February 2004 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=ke70_3SGTE wrote on Wed, 18 February 2004 14:15]
shcao wrote on Fri, 23 May 2003 00:33

quote]

Steel bars in the door to save your life if you ever get T-Boned, well im pretty sure thats them..

do they work?
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 newbie Wed, 18 February 2004 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
U'd kinda want it to.
Apart from a sheet of metal and a door winder what else can u rely on? U'r seat belt buckle?? Laughing
Jag7799
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: AE86 newbie Wed, 18 February 2004 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
4AGE wrote on Wed, 18 February 2004 17:01

U'd kinda want it to.
Apart from a sheet of metal and a door winder what else can u rely on? U'r seat belt buckle?? Laughing

the rest of the frame of the car...
I might be worried if the car that t boned me was only the width of my doors.. but theres alot more to take the damage
I dont have any side intrusion bars
86 down road from me looks sweet and is for sale
has some damage though.. but its damn nice..
CLG
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

December 2002
Re: AE86 newbie Wed, 18 February 2004 09:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Wed, 18 February 2004 10:42

silvercil40 wrote on Mon, 16 February 2004 22:31

A trueno will leave you broke and take FOREVER to get here

correct and correct

Laughing

Or you could just buy one already here? Hmmmm, I seem to reme,ber an ad in the "Cars for Sale and Wanted" Section referring to a Trueno for sale???
4AGE
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: AE86 newbie Thu, 19 February 2004 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sprinters have big doors. Will will almost take an echos nose into it. And damn even as pathetic as it sounds. Hell it would hurt. Bullbars are another worry...

My mate tboned this dude at 120kph in the wet. The guy was sitting in his S class. If he didn't have side impact bars i'm sure he woulda been laters. Due to his 120000 car having safety features along with luxury. His life is saved. Although the bugger did go into a coma. Poor dude.
TokenBlackGuy
Forums Junkie

February 2004
      wtf is jabber
Re: AE86 newbie Thu, 19 February 2004 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=-=NiGz=- wrote on Wed, 18 February 2004 16:49]
ke70_3SGTE wrote on Wed, 18 February 2004 14:15

shcao wrote on Fri, 23 May 2003 00:33

quote]

do they work?

well you sit ina trolley and i'll ram you with a truck, thats kinda like not having any, then you sit in a trolley suround by 2inch thick steeel and i'll ram you, you might survive.... Laughing

[Updated on: Thu, 19 February 2004 07:26]

JDM hachi
Regular

February 2003
Re: AE86 newbie Thu, 19 February 2004 09:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah we had all better drive at ten kays under the limit so we feel extra safe!!!!! Rolling Eyes Rolling Eyes
Steve-AE86
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2003
Re: AE86 newbie Thu, 19 February 2004 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
[quote title=CLG wrote on Wed, 18 February 2004 19:32

Or you could just buy one already here? Hmmmm, I seem to reme,ber an ad in the "Cars for Sale and Wanted" Section referring to a Trueno for sale???
[/quote]

hey clint, i reckon a link woulda been nice.... Cool

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=29253&start=0&rid=3193&S=6363e1d4b1e b3af9b82694dd4104b27d
brodiepearce
Regular

February 2005

Re: AE86 newbie Sat, 12 February 2005 05:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the hachi!!!!! if your worried about shit like the jap hachi coming with lsd and rear disc brakes dont be concerned as the LSD will most likely be fucked or on its way out,,adn as for the rear discs there are plenty of options available..
so im saying yyou could buy an aussie sprinter cheap and mix match fro probably much less than importing one...plus there is no shortage of aftermarket parts for the 4age and os giken australia sells LSDs and single and twin plate clutches for the ae86 standard 5 speed...reliability wise you can get 20v halfcuts reasonably cheap...also if you know anyone who is going to japan or is there you coudl always get them to look at auctions and you could ship it over yourself without having to pay for shop fees etc.

or if youd prefer to go for a silvia there is plenty of cheap options for those aswell...such as rather then upgrading to a new and better LSD you can just preload the factory centre with much more tension by doing a 'Glynburn' job which involves adding a second shim to it...unfortunately the only place in australia that can do this i think is the one that invented it (this was featured in the last issue of drift battle if you wanna see it)

but overall i think you should go the hachi......i just think it has better overall application...it makes for good circuit,,drift,,rally and any other car you can think of

brodiepearce
Regular

February 2005

Re: AE86 newbie Sat, 12 February 2005 05:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also.. the only difference between the levin and the trueno apart from front headlights are the tail lights adn that the levin weighs 14Kg lighter

also with the hatchback and the coupe the coupe weighs 40Kg lighter but it is very hard to change the rear tyres apparently Confused for anythingf else just look at bill sherwoods page and also phill pradshaws page...bill looks at the techinical shit (probly what is really important to most of us) and phill also looks at the engine and also the differences of models stuff like that:)
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: AE86 newbie Sat, 12 February 2005 05:19 Go to previous message
Dude - It's been a year since the last reply.. I don't really think the guy is checking this thread anymore Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze rwd.
Next Topic:Brilliant article to read
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 10:11:39 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0075099468231201 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.