Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » radiator - thermo ... prefered side???

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
radiator - thermo ... prefered side??? Wed, 21 May 2003 09:38 Go to next message
Hey

whats better.. Thermo's on the Engine side or the Headlight side of the radiator...

ie.. whats better.. pushing air through.. or sucking it through.

Cheers..
Luke
  Send a private message to this user    
BansheeBuzz
Regular

January 2003
Re: radiator - thermo ... prefered side??? Wed, 21 May 2003 10:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
it really makes no difference.

The reason you fit them to the engine side when you convert to thermos is because after you remove the fixed fan there is heaps of room there.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: radiator - thermo ... prefered side??? Wed, 21 May 2003 10:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually.. you'll find most fans will give better air flow over a coil when drawn thru the coil (engine side)
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: radiator - thermo ... prefered side??? Wed, 21 May 2003 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you will get higher heat removal efficancy if you have them on the engine side, as it is closer and can grab more hot air to draw out, rather than have it disipate around the engine bay.
justin Very Happy
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: radiator - thermo ... prefered side??? Wed, 21 May 2003 16:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks boys! Smile
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: radiator - thermo ... prefered side??? Wed, 21 May 2003 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bugman wrote on Wed, 21 May 2003 20:26

actually.. you'll find most fans will give better air flow over a coil when drawn thru the coil (engine side)

I think thermos are designed to either push or pull, so it's all taken into consideration. Just check which way your thermos are supposed to go.

juzzo84 wrote on Thu, 22 May 2003 00:18

you will get higher heat removal efficancy if you have them on the engine side, as it is closer and can grab more hot air to draw out, rather than have it disipate around the engine bay.
justin Very Happy

I don't think that makes a difference, 'coz you're pushing air onto/out of the radiator at point blank.

Only thing I can think of is if you have them set to push, the whole fan gets in the way of air flow when they're not on.
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: radiator - thermo ... prefered side??? Thu, 22 May 2003 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theoretically, it should make no difference - but they do seem to work better on the engine side Evil or Very Mad
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: radiator - thermo ... prefered side??? Thu, 22 May 2003 00:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've got a single 16" Davies Craig on my 7M mounted on the engine side of the radiator, sucking air thru the front and blowing onto the engine. Also i've hooked up an aftermarket temp gauge - with the thermo off the car will run at about 100-104 degrees celcius (in traffic) with the thermo on it'll sit at around 86 degrees constantly.

Hope this helps! Haven't tried any other configurations yet as this one seems to work well.

Dan
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: radiator - thermo ... prefered side??? Thu, 22 May 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Fans work the same whether they push or pull, but the difference is in the shrouding. You can put a proper shroud on the engine side of the radiator which will vastly increase the fan's effectiveness. You can't put a shroud on the forward side of the radiator (well you could, but it would be a dumb thing to do).
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: radiator - thermo ... prefered side??? Thu, 22 May 2003 07:18 Go to previous message
indeed a shroud makes a big difference.
i used to have one pushing and one pulling on my old VH.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:fibreglassing new frontbar
Next Topic:Exhaust diameter
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 6 13:36:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050580501556396 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.