Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

icon9.gif  And you though putting a turbo back on was easy peezy Sat, 05 April 2003 14:07 Go to next message
This happened early Friday afternoon.
Well putting the turbo back on was actually easy, its the aftermath that was the scary part. You should always double check what you are doing and pay more attention to detail.

I had the throttle body off injectors out and i'd finished cleaning the intake manifold as it was very thick and gunky black.

Well i had to get the carby cleaner and gunk out of the intake manifold and cylinders. I took the spark plugs out disconnected all leads and proceeded to crank the engine over. Now here is the tricky part me and my uncle were working on my car in between customers cars an we were very busy and rushed which lead to the oversite that almost cost me my GT4.

I thought my uncle had disconnected the coil and fuel pump relay and he though i had done it. After about 30 seconds, woosh a huge ball of flames Shocked yes my engine bay caught on fire.

So next thing you know we are both running for the fire extingwishers we put the fire out within 15 seconds but fuel daes burn hot and fast. Damage was minimal other than a few plastic bits under the bonnet, minor scuffing on the bonnet, the grill between the bonnet and windscreen, some wires got burnt and my boost control hoses.

After fome extensive cleaning and putting it all back together at about 6 Pm today Saturday afternoon we got it running again, YAY Smile . It still needs more cleaning and some more TLC but it back on the road.
  Send a private message to this user    
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: And you though putting a turbo back on was easy peezy Sat, 05 April 2003 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i had a fire in my engine bay once
nothing as hectic as yours though

i had just finished putting my carby back together after cleaning it
cranked it over with the filter off

a flame about 5 inches long came out of the carby for abuot 4 seconds

i just froze and thought WTF ?

ever since then i have a fire extuingisher in the car
itd be a shame to stand there helpless while your car burns down

Mani
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: And you though putting a turbo back on was easy peezy Sat, 05 April 2003 14:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Farkin hell Gary...

I've got two extinguishers ready to install in the car... One in the passenger footwell and the other in the boot...
GEE120
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: And you though putting a turbo back on was easy peezy Sat, 05 April 2003 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are 3 fir extingwishers in the worksop, thank got.
The ironic thing is, i was at repco picking up my nee sparks an hour b4 it happened and they had those $30 extingwishers on the counter and i was reading the box thinking that would be a good idea.
I think i'll be buying 2 like you tomorrow.
_Rivmasta_
Regular

April 2003
Re: And you though putting a turbo back on was easy peezy Mon, 19 May 2003 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had a mate in a buggy that had a dash fire. Not too serious as its an aluminium dash - he had 100m to go to the end of the race so he ignored it and kept going. the engine shut down about 50m before the flag... and the car rolled to about 10m before the line.

Solution: put it in second gear and hit the starter! It got over the line just as the little oddesey battery gave up! He did a quick rewire between races (it was a carbied car) ignored all the existing wiring and ran a line straight from the battery to the coil and wired the alternator back to the battery and light. He just clutch started the car for the rest of the day! ha ha!

I had a fire in a demo derby at parramatta speedway a couple of years back. It was just an oil fire - not a big deal so I kept circulating. It went out eventually and I finished in the top 10 - only to find out that I got disqualified earlier as the fire marshals were evidently chasing me around to try and get me to stop!

How was I supposed to know! I couldnt see anything but oil smoke! Smile
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: And you though putting a turbo back on was easy peezy Tue, 20 May 2003 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Laughing hehe....that derby story is a cack
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: And you though putting a turbo back on was easy peezy Wed, 21 May 2003 11:05 Go to previous message
I always used to go to Paramatta Speedway... Loved the demo derby's... The best one I ever saw was the one where they were towing the Port-A-Loo's... That was awesome...
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1/4 mile time speculations revealed
Next Topic:2002 Corolla (stock) Vs Lancer with EVO body kit (loud exhaust
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 04:16:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059561729431152 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.