Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age??

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Thu, 17 April 2003 03:44 Go to next message
How much would it cost to buy and set up the quad throttle bodies off a 20v onto a 16v, and what benifits does that setup have over and ordanairy plenum EFI system?

[Updated on: Thu, 17 April 2003 03:57]

Send a private message to this user    
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Thu, 17 April 2003 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
usual benefits of quad throttles will be from having the throttles closer to the engine, which results in better throttle response.

when the throttles are wide open, then it is similar to a normal setup, as you have the runners which give velocity etc, but the difference will be the response to throttle opening..

Cya, Stewart
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Thu, 17 April 2003 05:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok cool, i often see quad throttle setup's without any form of air filtation. whats the deal with that? Are people just willing to gamble nothing will be sucked into their engine? or is it very unlikely anything would be sucked in??
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Thu, 17 April 2003 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Only for show because the trumpets look hornier than any turbo I have ever seen. Most people put 'socks' on (easy), and some will make up an airbox to go over the lot and then use a panel filter and CAI to feed cold air (requires a degree of effing around).
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Thu, 17 April 2003 09:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm stuffing around using the quad throttles on my 4ag turbo, but won't have it done for a few weeks yet for various reasons, when I do, I'll write something about it stating any differences I noticed.
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Thu, 17 April 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sounds good mrshin, make sure to take some pictures of it once it is done
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Fri, 18 April 2003 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
(gloat)

http://www.billzilla.org/sprinterbay.jpg

(/gloat)

... and they sound really good. Smile
kemicalx
Regular

August 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Fri, 18 April 2003 00:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how much do the qtb's cost? and what do you have to do to fit em to a 16v 4age?

[Updated on: Fri, 18 April 2003 00:53]

krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sun, 18 May 2003 09:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Im also interested in know where go get them from and how much?

Chris-008
Regular

January 2003
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sun, 18 May 2003 10:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi all

hehe, i guess not many people has done this, besides Bill. Well i can get adaptor plates for 20v qtb to match bigport, but its too expensive at $450... This is first step though. Then another $400 for the actual 20V tb. $20 each for the trumpets. This is the furthest i've been. Anyone care to share their knowledge, as to the other linkages.. fuel lines etc.. ( im so frustrated ) affff !!!!!! Any manual or tech articles would be helpful.

Chris
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sun, 18 May 2003 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Why is the adaptor plate so expensive? Isn't it just a plate machined up?

I've heard that the stock computer won't run the quad throttles well, something due to the way that the 16v controls the idling etc, I'm not sure.
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sun, 18 May 2003 12:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I would like to know what steps are needed to prepare and install the 20v qtb on a 4age. Anyone know of any articles or something like that.

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sun, 18 May 2003 13:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
From Club4AG:

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/FAQ. html#Individual%20Throttle%20Body%20-%2020V%204-th rottle%20on%2016V%204A-GE

krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sun, 18 May 2003 14:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill,
Do you think this mod is worth the money and the hassel of installation?

Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sun, 18 May 2003 16:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krayzie wrote on Mon, 19 May 2003 00:34

Bill,
Do you think this mod is worth the money and the hassel of installation?

With a stock engine - yes for power and sound, no for cost.
With a modified engine yes to both. Especially as it allows you to go a lot further with the mods later on.

You'll also get better fuel economy with a well tuned computer.
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sun, 18 May 2003 16:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill: Will the standard 16v computer run with the quad throttles? Or is Club4AG accurate in saying that it won't? If it doesn't, will the 20v computer run it then? Or do you have to go with aftermarket programmable?

Thanks
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sun, 18 May 2003 17:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill,

I currently have 4age,big cams (not sure on size),larger injectors,haltech computer and the usual exhaust mods.

Will there be a noticable difference in power with the qtb over the standard throttle body?

Any other info you can give me would help me a lot

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sun, 18 May 2003 21:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all. a set of quads will help with big cams ect due to better cylinder fill/speed - something a big single TB wont' give u.

a std 4AG computer won't run the quads. aside from the injectors being different impedance, you have no where to plug in the map sensor, and depending on what ECU you use, (100kw or early 86kw type) you've got TVIS in the way

re: adaptor plate, something that can be machined up yes, but, will be very exxy this way - go to the wreckers, get an old 100kw or 86kw inlet manifold (depending on your application) - leave about 200mm and chop it across wise and TIG a plate on there, then, bolt the quads to that.

also bear in mind bill runs a motec aftermarket.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sun, 18 May 2003 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm just putting the finishing touches on a QTB setup for a mates bigport rally car. The car is using a Haltech and some aftermarket cams (280 I think). With a little head work and the throttle bodies, the engine gained 20% peak power along with a nice spread of midrange torque. I'm expecting a little more with some debugging and fine tuning this weekend.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Mon, 19 May 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Demuire, yes the stock small port computer will apparently run with quad throttle bodies. There's a guy in the US that sells a kit where he does that and I've read of no complaints. I can't see how it would work well, but everyone says it does ....

Krayzie, yes, you should pick up a bit more power everywhere, especially at higher revs. Better fuel economy as well.
fergo308
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Mon, 19 May 2003 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it really that hard to get quads to work on a 4ag?

I can understand that the tvis engines may have a fuelling problem,but surely you'd use some form of fuel only ecu,or would replace the lot to get the fuelling correct anyway right?
I don't see how the std maps on either an 86 or a 100kw 4ag would be anywhere near close to correct once you added quads,and exhaust,cams,etc...
the engine would likely run with a 100kw's ecu,but I doubt you'd ever get the best out of it.

as for the maps sensor throwing a wobbly,surely some one way valves and a small vacuum tank linked to each inlet runner would give you a proper signal?

as I see it,the hardest part is getting the things physically on there. once you have a manifold,the throttle cable and such done,your only problems would be working out how to get an idle air bypass rigged up,and getting decent size and length trumpets onto the thing.

bills' engine above runs the 16v's injector setup,so I'd assume his manifold adaptor is fairly simple.
I'd love to get a hold of something to make the Tb's fit,as I already have a set on hand(attached to a complete engine in my garage),and am in the middle of rebuilding a 16v for my daily driver. I'd be keen to give a quad setup a try...

Justin...
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Tue, 20 May 2003 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think you should talk to Zack at Cypher in WA.

http://www.cypherindustries.com.au/front.htm

he makes kits I believe for ITBs for the 16v

Cheers
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Tue, 20 May 2003 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill, I have all the aluminium plate and pipe. My questions is how the hell do you cut the 10mm plate? Its damn think and I dont know how I should go about it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also where to get the trumpets and socks for the qtbs?

[Updated on: Tue, 20 May 2003 05:39]

IRA11Y
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Tue, 20 May 2003 06:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
easiest way is to make a template and take it to a laser cutter
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Tue, 20 May 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
krayzie wrote on Tue, 20 May 2003 15:36

Bill, I have all the aluminium plate and pipe. My questions is how the hell do you cut the 10mm plate? Its damn think and I dont know how I should go about it.

Anyone have any ideas?

Also where to get the trumpets and socks for the qtbs?

I got a plain electric jigsaw and used a medium type blade and just hacked it out. Then spent a lot of time on with a file getting it all straight.
These days we have a milling maching at home, so I just use a moveable table and a mill head to get the angles & lines I need.
My inlet doesn't use conventional trumpets, they're a 'thing' I made up myself that gives the engine a little more power, and are also made at home.
I got the socks at a motorbike shop.
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Tue, 20 May 2003 12:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bill,

Would you have a pic of your version of a trumpet? Or what you used to make them. Im not worried about the looks the car is not going to be a show car I would rather have performance.

EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Tue, 20 May 2003 22:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i woulnt mind seeing some more pics of these?
do u have them on your site?
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Wed, 21 May 2003 07:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, no pics, it's a secret.
(Tragic, but true ...)
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Wed, 21 May 2003 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tragic indeed......... Rolling Eyes
EMP-2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Wed, 21 May 2003 11:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bugga Rolling Eyes
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Thu, 22 May 2003 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi guys,

Have a look at these threads from Club4AG

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=26696

http://forums.club4ag.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=32277

They show some good pics of trumpets etc. I doubt if Bill's secret design is that different.

Enjoy
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Thu, 22 May 2003 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Perhaps, but, some trumpets are a little bit different to that...

http://pics.montypics.com/ben_wilson/2003-05-21/1053572013_TBs.jpg
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Thu, 22 May 2003 10:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thats an interresting way to make trumpets. I wonder if it actually does anything or just looks like it does.
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Thu, 22 May 2003 22:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It seems to work well enough, the car is currently leading the NSW rally series in the under 2lt class.
Bill Sherwood
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Fri, 23 May 2003 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Internet problems for a couple of days, sorry.

My trumpets don't look anything like those ones in the Club4AG threads.
They look more like these -

http://www.billzilla.org/inman.jpg

- Though are slightly different again.
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Fri, 23 May 2003 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I will probably get some machined up by a friend. I will try a few different design but I dont know wether it will make any difference or not.

I'll keep you guys posted.
krayzie
Regular

April 2003

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sat, 24 May 2003 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was just browsing some sites and came across this on that has the complete adapter for the qtb to fit on the 16v head.

http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/urltrurl? lp=ja_en&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.rschita.gr.jp%2F 4renmani_type2.htm

If that doesnt work try this

http://www.rschita.gr.jp/

A rough currency conversion its $490-$500

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sun, 25 May 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I sure as hell hope the quality of the parts is better than the English used on that page! Very Happy
gearb0x
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: What are the benifits of a quad throttle body setup on a 16v 4age?? Sun, 25 May 2003 07:36 Go to previous message
the lack of good engligh might be due to the fact that the site is being run through a Japanease -> Engrish converter

im yet to find an Engrish -> English converter though Wink
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Problem with my ae92 corolla
Next Topic:Tuning a corona
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 18:01:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061931610107422 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.