Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
$450 ta22
Regular

February 2003
camira delco computers Thu, 22 May 2003 02:33 Go to next message
i was just wondering if any one has used the camira computer 2 fuel inject and turbo and older engine and what where your thoughts thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: camira delco computers Thu, 22 May 2003 02:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Talk to HKSPete - he'll chew your ears off about the wonders of the DElco computer.

From most accounts on these things:
- THey are DIRT cheap to buy
- BUT: there are only a couple of people who can tune them, so tuning can be a slightly higher cost.

Ask HKSPete (PM him) about his tuner.
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: camira delco computers Thu, 22 May 2003 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Thu, 22 May 2003 12:57

Talk to HKSPete - he'll chew your ears off about the wonders of the DElco computer.

LMAO SO TRUE!! lol Pete is the man to talk to, he has told many wonders that his mate dick has tuned with it, so im sure anything is possible

[Updated on: Thu, 22 May 2003 06:00]

$450 ta22
Regular

February 2003
Re: camira delco computers Thu, 22 May 2003 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
also i went 2 the wreckers 2 day and asked about these comps and was told there are 2 different types what model do i want the comp from ?

earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: camira delco computers Thu, 22 May 2003 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$450 ta22 wrote on Thu, 22 May 2003 21:17

also i went 2 the wreckers 2 day and asked about these comps and was told there are 2 different types what model do i want the comp from ?

If we are just talking about camira computers in general, then the two types are the Bosch one and the Delco one.

I am not sure if there are two versions of the Delco in the camira, I assume if there was then the later the better Confused
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: camira delco computers Thu, 22 May 2003 15:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm here!

Delco is great. Has the best learn block of any computer (far as I know). Is also great for pulling out fuel when "cruising", my fuel economy is GREAT now (compared to turbo 6).

Very versatile - older bro has a 3TG-TEU, younger bro has a 4AG-E, and I've got a 1UZ-FE all running camira delco. Also seen a 924T engine with it on, 6cyl porsche engine used for racing, etc.

Mine is off a JE Camira. MUST be a JE. Got mine for $150 with everything on it. Changed over all the sensors on my V8, wired in 4 more injectors and another 4 weeks getting a box made up to control the ignition of the two coils.

For an old 4 cylinder turbo (WHICH ONE!?), the Delco is great for stuff like a 3T, 3S, 18R, 4A ... ?

Its a lot easyer if the engine has a dizzy as that is where one of the main signals come from.

If you have someone to wire and/or tune it it will definately help. If you can actually work through stuff (like see that what your holding is an injector so that must have an injector wire (or two) connected to it) then you can work it out yourself, and wire it up yourself.

What I try and tell everyone is to find someone that can tune a computer, then put that computer on. If your like Paul and can tune a microtech yourself, then put a microtech on. If you know someone with Motek then do that. If you want to know someone that can tune Delco (in Sydney) then I'll give you Dick's details.
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: camira delco computers Thu, 22 May 2003 20:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what HKSPETE said early rolla.

there is no bosch version dude. only delco
1227808 series if you're really interested.

JE would be the best type to go for. N13 Pulsar also, BUT only in the 1.8 NOT the 1.6 (1.8 was MPFI the 1.6 was single point)
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: camira delco computers Thu, 22 May 2003 22:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The two versions of delco that are on the camira. You want JE 1227808 as Grega says. JD uses similar sensors such as air temp, water temp throttle position, MAP sensor, ignition module but is designed for throttle body injection. You do not want the JD camira injection. If you are serious you need every thing in the efi loom including ignition module and even the coil, excepet the MAP sensor if you are going for a boosted engine.

Earlier camira (PRE JD) used ljetronic gear bosch. As HKS pete says it is a great system. I wouldn't say it was better than any other factory computer ie fords ECCS etc but this has been well and truly hacked and the eprom is easily accessible. It would be nice if there was a web sites with peoples aftermarket calibration that way you could pick out a 2L turbo calibration which would make a good starting point.

Read your email.

[Updated on: Thu, 22 May 2003 22:41]

myTA22
Regular

December 2002
Re: camira delco computers Fri, 23 May 2003 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pete, do you have any actual details on doing this conversion? I have a TA22 with a 3T-GTE and i want to try and wring a bit more out of it but can't afford an aftermarket system at the moment. I would love to hear more.

Daniel
Chriph
Regular

May 2002
Re: camira delco computers Fri, 23 May 2003 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm in the same boat, need more control over the fuel and ignition for my 3t-gt (lots of nice upgraded bits and pieces, like intercooler and turbo and fuel pump and rising rate reg.) that I can't make the most of, but I can't afford a new engine management system (my girlfriend would kill me:). Any and as much detail as you could supply would be very much appreciated. Cheers, Chris.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: camira delco computers Fri, 23 May 2003 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hooray finally some interest in these computers on this board.

pete what software do you use to program the delco - kalmaker?

I was considering going the kalmaker route - do you think thats the best way to go???

myTA22
Regular

December 2002
Re: camira delco computers Fri, 23 May 2003 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The thing i am wondering though is what do you need to do to make the Delco compatible with the 3T-GTE? and what mods do you need to do so that you can actually program it?
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: camira delco computers Fri, 23 May 2003 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No mods really necessary to make work with the 3tgteu.

The hardest part is getting the ignition right.

The camira uses one coil therefore only has a single chanel ignitor. The 3tgt uses 2 coils therfore needs a dual chanel ignitor or. 2 single chanel ignitors can be used or dual ouput coil with a single ignitor or use a ignition module off a VN v8 have heard of it done, haven't done it.

You will need to get a 2 bar sensor to run boost.

Get winbin and win ALDL of the internet search through google.

Make your self a cheap eprom programmer, mine cost $15.

wire every thing up start you your programming it is that easy not.

Remeber you are using a 2 bar map sensor so you have to halve the reolution of all you MAP related tables etc.

Also you have to tap in the air temp sensor into the manifold, the water temp sensor into somewhere and I personally replace the whole throttle body with one from a camira easy conversion. Also to get the best out of the idle and lean cruise you will need a speed sensor.

[Updated on: Fri, 23 May 2003 06:56]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: camira delco computers Fri, 23 May 2003 07:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This thread is really interesting Shocked How would this ECU go on a 3S-GTE with the dizzy removed?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: camira delco computers Fri, 23 May 2003 08:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1: can be done. I don't know how. I havn't got a dizzy on my engine.

I talked to Dick today and he said that if there are a few people with 3Ts then he might be able to do a deal.

Bottom line I recon to run a Delco computer & fully tuned would cost at least 2 grand.
$450 ta22
Regular

February 2003
Re: camira delco computers Fri, 23 May 2003 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was hopeing they where easy 2 tune at home as a cheap alternative 2 goin the microtec route. as i going 2 test bed it on a mates datsun 1200 before considering doing the same 2 the 2T engine for some thing different and a little cool .
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: camira delco computers Sat, 24 May 2003 08:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How hard is it to hook these computers to an old non efi engine.

I guess there will be fun and games with seting up the hardware, such as injectors. Does it use a distributer type crank angle sensor or would that be a big problem??
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: camira delco computers Sat, 24 May 2003 09:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"wire every thing up start you your programming it is that easy not." - roger

what is that in english?
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: camira delco computers Sun, 25 May 2003 02:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Anthony, Dick has put the delco on a 924T that used mechanical injection instead of EFI. He had to drill out the holes for the injectors and make a fuel rail etc. and pickup all the necessary sensors etc.

Yes the distributer trigger can be used.
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: camira delco computers Mon, 26 May 2003 01:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool 1,

You would need to go to DFI Kalmaker sells a 4 cylinder kit to do this. They use coil and modules from the states that are compatible with delco. Daewoo may have DFI? you could use the gear off these as I belive they use a family 2 engine? and use delco not sure if they are DFI?

I have a program for a 3sgte that would get you started.

Chriss,

Wiring every thing up is a sinch. I have done it many times. There are only about 4 wires for power and a few earth wires. You install all the camira sensors on the engine so it all just plugs up. Delco requires high resistance injector of around 12 ohms if you are using low resistance injectors you will need to put ballast resistors in the loom.

Here are some basics to do it your self.

Use this software to modify the binnary

http://www.passtimeracing.com/eric/Cars/EFI/

It is very good with 3d charts and tables etc

Go here ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/incoming/ and donload this file 1227808_5d.ecu

This is the definition file that maps out the tables etc from the emprom image (binnary) you will need a binnary from a 1227808 to look at so download one from here http://www.techedge.com.au/vehicle/1227808/fourbin s.htm

use the Camira 2.0L one AKFL2168

Now have a play and familarize your self with the environment.

For diagnostics goto

http://w1.601.telia.com/~u60113744/software/winald l/winaldl.htm

and download winaldl this is a fantastic program you use for live diagnostics and data loging. This lets you know what you need to change in winbin to tune the car. You will need to build the cable they suggest on this site.

Now you need something to program the eprom I use the burner from this site because it is cheap and nasty.

http://www.zws.com/products/epromr2/

cost about $20 to build.

You will need to buy and eprom eraser I made one with a mercury vapour tube for about $15 similar to this

http://www.mikeg2.freeserve.co.uk/eprom/

With all this setup you are ready to start programming you can do it in the car with a lap top but you won't be doing it in real time. But who can program and drive any way. You can however data log all the results analyse it and make a change on the side of the road within 5 minutes. Excpect to burn 100 eproms to get it right, so it is good to have plenty of blank eproms. You can get them second hand quite cheap. Don't buy them new as they are around $10 each.

So in short it can be tuned by your self if you have the smarts and the time to get this stuff together. To tune fuel maps read about the Block Learn Mulitiplier (BLM) and the INT. To tune the ignition it is good to have a knock indicator or headphones

HKS Pete is right to get it tunned professional will cost $2000 and fitted would cost around.

[Updated on: Mon, 26 May 2003 01:23]

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: camira delco computers Mon, 26 May 2003 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Roger: GREAT info! I'm gonna go through that list and see what I can do myself to get my own logs etc.

How is the logging on the standard computer? My tuner uses a high-speed computer which I'm told is much better as its finer detail and more accurate readings (and also has the plugs for the wideband and laptop).

Other things you'll need to tune it is a wideband sensor and a hole in your exhaust (I've got a plug in mine that can be easily taken out and the wideband put in).

With the Delco's LEAM block, one of the easyest ways to tune it, is to download the leam block and have a look where the computer is actually adding or taking out fuel, that gives you a rough idea of where needs attention. Then from that you could dodgily add/take out fuel, or look more closely at it with a wideband sensor to find out exactly how rich/lean it is.

Leam block has restrictions of how far it will go though. I think it starts off at 128 which is nominal, only goes as rich as 140 (maybe more?) and only as lean as 100. I'm not totally sure on this bit.
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: camira delco computers Mon, 26 May 2003 03:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah a wide band sensor would be good but the cost of the sensor is prohibative.

HKSpete sounds like you have the 8192 baud ALDL connection (VR/VS computer). or at least your tunner has one. The JE camira computer is slower in its updates but still surfices.

Tuning is as you described with the BLM once the BLM is right start looking at the INT (same sort of information by the BLM is long term learning, INT is short term learning) forget what it stands for i think it is integrator. There is a good write up off this on the web.

If you are using the VR/VS computer you will need the associated *.ecu file for winbin there may be one in the directory that I put up not sure though. The 1227808 might still work if they are using the same code, again not sure.

roger
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: camira delco computers Tue, 27 May 2003 23:13 Go to previous message
TunerCat have just released a real time programmer you can get an evaluation version for 30 days, In order to program in real time you need an Itronics romulator (eprom emulator) for $179 US. If any one is interested I will have the 1227808 definition file sorted shortly to use on Tunner CAT, check out the real time editor here

www.tunercat.com

The binnary file that I listed earlier is incorrect it is for the throttle body calibration therfore is not suited to multi point use this one of these files which is VN commodore I think.

ftp://ftp.diy-efi.org/pub/gmecm/bin_lib/1227808%20 %205D/

With a real time tunner and diagnostics I would liken the system to Kalmaker at half the price, pity the diagnostic and tunner don't interact and the emultor method is not as nice as the way Kalmaker change the memory.

The great thing with these systems is, if you have more than one car that runs aftermarket injection your cost is spread over the cars unlike buying an epensive system for each.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1JZ conversion into a GZ20 Soarer....
Next Topic:ST141 Corona Sedan
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 18:05:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070960521697998 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.