Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86-Levin
Regular

January 2003
Gear Boxes For AE86 sprinter Fri, 23 May 2003 10:48 Go to next message
I would like to know what gear boxes fit (with out too much trouble) into an AE86 sprinter....

Cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gear Boxes For AE86 sprinter Fri, 23 May 2003 14:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Without too much trouble, Sprinter T50's fit quite well. Celica T50's bolt to the AE86 Bellhousing but need to have the tailshaft modified because different output shafts.

Aside from that theres nothing that will 'bolt up'. You gearbox choice comes down only to three things, Your requirements, Wallet and/or Your Engineering skill.

For example, I personally am using a W50 behind my 4AGTE mounted with a custom spacer plate. I've heard of another guy here in SA adapting an MX5 6 speed.

Dellows make a bell housing to adapt many of the WXX's to the 4AGE, but apparently they are bad with customers, expensive and not the greatest quality.

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gear Boxes For AE86 sprinter Fri, 23 May 2003 15:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can vouch for that Surprised
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gear Boxes For AE86 sprinter Fri, 23 May 2003 23:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or you could get serious and get a Quaife gear box put in. Check out page 55 of their catalogue:

http://www.quaife.co.uk/index2.htm

They make gear sets and modified boxes (sequential even) specifically for AE86 applications. They also have a much better reputation than Dellows!

They also make a quick rack and pinion kit for both LHD and RHD AE86s, see page 60.

[Updated on: Sat, 24 May 2003 00:06]

shinybluesteel
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002
Re: Gear Boxes For AE86 sprinter Sat, 24 May 2003 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the celica t-50 is steelcase, isn't t? as far as i know it has the same guts (maybeye not, if the output shaft is sifferent) i would say it woulsn't cost all that much to get the shortshaft modified ot fit.

apparently the main problem with the t-50 is that the gears pusch away from each other under heavy load, which opens the casing and lets all the oil leak out.

if 3SGE RWD gearboxes were more common, id say the most sensible option would be to just use a 3SGE and ditch the 4age, unless they are way heavier.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gear Boxes For AE86 sprinter Sat, 24 May 2003 08:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quaife have a very good reputation for gearing arrangments. They have one very nice piece of kit for the AE86. A 5 spd dog engagement with choice of 1st ratio and dogleg 1st.

This however would be major overkill for road use.

Expensive too.

Youngy,
I too was looking at the quick rack. But have been thinking that i would want something be a little quicker, maybe 2.0 turns ltl.

sprinterboy4agze
Regular

March 2003
Re: Gear Boxes For AE86 sprinter Sun, 25 May 2003 02:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
can u also use the w55 supra gearbox? what do u need to modify for this to fit into your sprinter?
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gear Boxes For AE86 sprinter Sun, 25 May 2003 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I love the sound of that rack... I wonder how much it is though Surprised
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gear Boxes For AE86 sprinter Sun, 25 May 2003 11:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mrshin,

The rack is 2.5turns lock to lock and comes as a kit, my guess would be about AUD$400 or so, just a guess though.

And for those who are interested...

TOYOTA COROLLA AE86 RWD 5 SPEED DOG ENGAGEMENT
Complete 5 speed dog engagement gearkit
Requires factory modifications to gearbox case
Straight cut, close ratio gears
Choice of 1st gear ratios
Gear pattern changed to dog leg 1st
GEAR RATIOS
1st
1.733 2nd
1.379 3rd
1.144 4th
1:1 5th

Toyota Corolla AE86 RWD 5 speed dog engagement gearkit QKE4E
Gearbox case QKE4ECASE
[/PASTE]

[Updated on: Sun, 25 May 2003 11:53]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Gear Boxes For AE86 sprinter Mon, 26 May 2003 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I sent them an email, and have taken refuge in waiting of the reply... (budget's gonna blow BIG no doubt!)
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Gear Boxes For AE86 sprinter Mon, 26 May 2003 09:34 Go to previous message
Me too, they are going to think there is a run on AE86 parts!
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Conversion Places In Sydney
Next Topic:Remove steer wheel on ke11?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 02:51:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046730041503906 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.