Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ShAkEn
Regular

April 2003
AE86 suspension Fri, 23 May 2003 12:08 Go to next message
hey sprinter ppl.
im about to do suspension upgrades in my 86 n need some help.
what kinda suspenison mods does every1 have?
wat seems to work well?at the moment im tossing up two options,

1 custom king springs 8kgfront/6kgrear, or 6front /4 rear.
with kyb's in the front and trd green in the back.
2 coilover kit to convert stock struts with probably the same kinda spring rates as previously mentioned, using a commodore shock thats been recommended.
can any1 give me any guidance? basicly after as little lateral roll as poss with a good drift setup.
any help is greatly appreciated.
cheers

Send a private message to this user    
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: AE86 suspension Fri, 23 May 2003 12:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Do you think that shocks that you mentioned can handle those spring rates? I doubt it.
How's your bushes, stock and cracked also used to be rubber (like I have Laughing ).
Do you really need that stiff springs?
NuGeN
Regular

April 2003
Re: AE86 suspension Fri, 23 May 2003 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just out of curiousity...
What are the benefits of having harder springs at the front compared to the rear??
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AE86 suspension Fri, 23 May 2003 14:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Alot of Toymods fallas can get pretty annoyed with the constant Newbie AE86 Drift (refered to herein as '*') related posts

Just as a question, how much '*' do you actually do. Would you deem it as being the cars primary function?

If not then '*' suspension will be very hard to live with on a day to day basis.

Dont get me wrong i enjoy some proper '*' (be sure you actually understand what true '*' really is) as much as the next guy, maybe even more so. But i see no point i setting a car up specially for it unless you are planning on using it as a dedicated '*' car.

Also any half decent '*' requires a good LSD which hard to come by for the AE86 unless you retrofit something from a different car.

As for suspension...

When you're ready for some more serious suspension advice get on to someone like Bill (refered to herein as 'Bill' Very Happy). Bill has a very comprehensive system. Not just shocks and springs, but also altered mounting points rose-joints and much more.

Pssst, he doesnt even use swaybars...

Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 suspension Fri, 23 May 2003 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Of course, you could go with the Whiteline kit ... everything's been thought out for you already.

I'm currently using most of the parts of this kit along with Koni shocks and Formula? springs with Whiteline swaybays, roll centre adjusters, urathene bushings etc.

They are a great package ... a little bit soft was my initial impression but they do maintain the prime purpose of ensuring your tyres maintain contact with the road.

Coilovers are great for the track but I doubt if they'd benefit someone like me who uses the car more for street ... what was it again? Wank factor? Laughing

Now I just have to resist the urge to twiddle with the suspension settings ... Twisted Evil

ShAkEn
Regular

April 2003
Re: AE86 suspension Sat, 24 May 2003 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lol i knew that would happen!!
i thought id throw it in anyway! ive talked to bill b4 the purchase
of my 86, but yeh ill look him up again.

the cars primary function was (*) and for hills, maybe casually at malalla and colingrove as well down the track, as my last car was
quick thru the hills but no good for drift and no real potential for much more. now ive got it thou im wrapped in it, so well built, balanced n all the rest.
i realize the potential of the 86's suspension but i dont know wat combos work well and all that bizz and was just looking for guidance from other sprinter enthusiasts that are well into all the options of mods u can do.
cheers.
wank factor? but i dont own a commodore Very Happy
J-AE86
Forums Junkie

January 2003
Re: AE86 suspension Sat, 24 May 2003 10:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
club4ag.com for suspension mods and reviews, like the 200k ae86 suspensions, and some of the tokico shocks.

good drift setup : postive camber the rear wheels to 10 degrees on each side, strut bar at the rear 2 bricks in the rear boot, and a gt wing for downforce which keeps the drift in motion, also a sticker Laughing
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 suspension Sat, 24 May 2003 14:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShAkEn wrote on Sat, 24 May 2003 19:57

wank factor? but i dont own a commodore Very Happy

Just joking ... Very Happy Just don't be someone who gets it just for the fact it's there ... they are good and really allow you to adjust to your heart's content although it is quite possible to stuff your settings up if you don't know what you're doing.

On a side note, here is an AE86 rear swaybar mod I came across today ... no names as to whose AE86 it is but this one takes it out for ingenuity.

The rear swaybar has been strengthened by attaching another stock swaybar to it with ... Shocked

http://www.members.optushome.com.au/magneticrose/Sus1.JPG
http://www.members.optushome.com.au/magneticrose/Sus2.JPG

Provided all of us with a moment of amusement ... Smile
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: AE86 suspension Sat, 24 May 2003 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What's so dodgy about the double sway? I've got the same setup on my one, and for 18 bucks for the bar 6 bucks for hose clamps it does a pretty good job.
I've had it on for a year now, nothings moved so i'd say it's a sound improvement.
Low speed stuff can be attacked with more speed, the back really does come around.
Apparantly it's been a trick that poor ppl have been doing for years in japan. Think back 20 years, nobody except for TRD made aftermarket bit's for a AE86.
Even though there's not much choice in suspensions for a AE86 in aus, we have still got it pretty good compared to back then.
ShAkEn
Regular

April 2003
Re: AE86 suspension Sun, 25 May 2003 10:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe wicked, i did that on my last car, only not with hose clamps!
is the whole thing just clamped on or do u use longer bolts n bolt em to the orignal?
ill have to sus it out at a cruise or something if ur in adel, lol.

ive decided to go the 6/4 king springs combo i mentioned, cheaper and will give me want i want.is there any cool sites with cheap mods similar to the sway bar one???
cheers to all who replied
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: AE86 suspension Sun, 25 May 2003 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ShAkEn wrote on Sun, 25 May 2003 20:01

is the whole thing just clamped on or do u use longer bolts n bolt em to the orignal?

Ha hah ... that's what we all found amusing ... hose clamps only & nothing else. Still, it DOES allegely work so I guess there is some merit to doing this however I've never come across this sort of thing before.

And here I was wondering why he was looking for an AE86 rear sway bar over the last couple of weeks ... all along I just thought that his original item was rooted. Confused

c2888 ... if there are any other mods like these that do work, I'm interested! Smile
c2888
Regular

May 2002

Re: AE86 suspension Sun, 25 May 2003 17:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My car is the king of dodgy mods Smile
Disclaimer
If you copy me and something goes wrong it's your own fault, just cos i do it doesn't mean it's safe Smile

Rear
Springs: Stock with 1.5 coils removed, yes everyone says cut springs are dodgy, only if you cut them so short that you have no travel left and are riding on bumpstops. Or they fall out because they are not captive.
Bumpstops: Cut two lumps off because it was riding on the bumpstops Smile More travel and actually a decent ride.
Shocks: KYB Mazda RX7 gen 1 rear shock, about 20mm shorter full stroke so my springs are captive, Bottom eyelet the rubber is cast with the metal sleeve in place, a warning to those who go this route.
Anti-roll: Doubled mounted with hose clamps as mentioned previously in the post.

Front
Springs: chopped stockers
Strut housing: RA65 struts and brakes, vented disc for $150, sure i don't have any camber, but at least i can stop, camber issues will be fixed one day. Pretty much none, not pos or neg.
Shock: KYB RA65, much better than my blown out monroes.
Strut tops: More castor. swapped left to right, right to left. If you look in your car you will see that there is provision for strut tops to be further back. One hole needs to be redrilled in the car to do this, or you can get AE86 GT spec ones. I've heard that KE55 fit and are in the rear position, but i never pursued it as i'm not scared of drilling holes in my car Smile
Homemade RCA's: Two blocks of alloy, drilled and filed to perfection. High tensile bolts holding it all together.
Castor rods: wound all the way up, to give max castor.

The car grips well, although i'd like a bit more camber up front. Feels solid, but not as balanced as it should feel, too much understeer in low speed turns, and then high speed it wants swap ends. I feel it's the tyres, barum somethings. It's not very progressive. And I need LSD.

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: AE86 suspension Mon, 26 May 2003 18:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
id go with option 1 to start

but with coilovers, to get the most out of them you will need short stroke shocks.
TOKICO HTS102's are fully adjustable shocks for virtually any spring rate (from 4- 12kg/mm) so id go with tht combo
they are not "race" rated shocks but good spilce of useability for street/"drift"/traffic

if i were you id go with a 6kg front + 4kg rear to start from stock setup just to be safe. ease your way upto an 8+6 setting, as its quite stiff and you might end up fucking it into a tree

my xmas prezzie to meself this year is a set of fightex "fine sport" coilovers on all 4 corners and a set of Techno Pro Spirit 5.5 kg/mm rear springs with tokico ht102 shocks to govern the setup.

$5500 well spent i rekon, should be smooth and responsive after that! Very Happy
Hachi Roku Trueno
Regular

February 2003

Re: AE86 suspension Tue, 27 May 2003 06:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For a proper drift setup you wil definitely need a LSD rear end (preferably 2 way LSD) spring rates would be a minimum 8k front and 6k rear, most jap drifter use the same spring rate at the back as the front. Short stroke shocks front and rear from brands such as Tokico, TRD or if you can afford you can buy the whole Kei Office setup.

My car has been setup for track use and the suspension is:
Front
shorten struts with coil over inserts, Cusco pillow ball camber plates, Apexi 8k front springs, Bilstein AE92 race inserts, Cusco 30mm roll centre adjusters, Whiteline 24mm front sway bar.
Rear
JDM AE86 rear end, TRD 2 way LSD, Bilstein AE86 race struts, custom Jumbo 6.5k rear springs, Whiteline adjustable top trailing arms, Whiteline traction brackets, Whiteline adjustable 16-22mm sway bar, JIC adjustable panhard rod.
ShAkEn
Regular

April 2003
Re: AE86 suspension Tue, 27 May 2003 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
any1 know the availability and $$$ of tokico ht102's?
sounds like theyd be up there!
does any1 have pics of rca mods?
cheers

[Updated on: Tue, 27 May 2003 10:40]

Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 suspension Mon, 08 September 2003 04:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gonna dig up an old thread here.. i was searching for something but i may as well answer this.

Jono, i had HTS's on my Blue ae86 and i loved them! so much control up front and they were perfect for drift and for Hills/tracks!

not cheap... 550 US for full set
Satoshi
Forums Junkie

August 2003
Re: AE86 suspension Mon, 08 September 2003 05:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dammit Shocked ..i'm lost in this conversation... Rolling Eyes
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: AE86 suspension Mon, 08 September 2003 06:13 Go to previous message
i was replying Shaken's original Q

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Power Upgrade
Next Topic:relay thing on the coil bracket