Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 2.5" exhaust price?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 06:29 Go to next message
i went to the local exhaust shop to get a price on a 2.5" exhaust.
it is a manderal bent system with a muffler (cheap caannon i think). the quote i got was $300 for the supply and fit of the system
is this price good or not.
if i supply my own muffler the price is $200.

cheers
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is this a price for a complete exhaust system?

a cat, muffler, and mandrel system are usually not this cheap

Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats cheap

mine was $850 for a 3" mandrel system from the turbo back

even if its from the cat back its still a good price for mandrel
MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
very cheap for manderal bends... very very cheap actully go for it!
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is taht all the way, or cat back?

I got my 2.5" cat-back for $250 including muffler (but that was *uber* cheap)
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 06:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a good price, but I doubt it includes a cat. I paid $350 for my Celica's exhaust, which was a complete 2.5" system with a resonator and muffler, all in mild steel of course.

At the other end of the scale I paid $1400 for my Supra's exhaust, but that was a 3" tig-welded mandrel bent system with a high-flow cat and custom HPC coated dump pipe. Quality doesn't come cheap!
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 06:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats from just b4 where the resonator in the SA63 currently starts. its where the pipes from the engine go from 2 into 1
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at the risk of sounding like an idiot .. what's hpc?

heat proof ceramic? (wild stab in the dark?)
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im pretty sure the SA63 has no cat. just a resonator and a muffler.
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 07:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.hpcoatings.com/motorsports.htm

Dan
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 07:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh nice, no nsw centre Sad
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 07:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You guys get much extra performance from a non standard turbo elbow?

apparently the one on my 7M is quite restrictive and when i got my exhaust i asked for it to be "from the turbo back" he actually welded it down about 4 feet from the turbo elbow. I called him and whinged, he said it honestly makes no difference because its a 2.5" system going into 3" and that it would cost extra to custom make a new elbow

Dan
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 07:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah that sux queensland and vic but no nsw
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 11:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The stock turbo elbow on a 7M is absolute crap. Replacing it with a proper 3" dump makes a BIG difference.
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bozwons car would be on super wouldn't it? hence no cat.

My turbo back 3" mandrel bent system with 3" high flow cat and cheap sports box cost me $600.

hey Norbie when you had the 7m in, how did the exhaust get past the steering column? mine just has a dent put in it.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 23:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I never had a 7M in my car, so I couldn't tell you!
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Tue, 27 May 2003 23:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nah i run my car on premium unleaded and am almost certain it has no cat as it was built in 84.
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Wed, 28 May 2003 04:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oops wrong on two counts, oh well
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Wed, 28 May 2003 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My 2.5" mandrel bent system cost me about $700 from the dump pipe back. High flow cat and straight through muffler.
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Wed, 28 May 2003 04:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
was that for mild steel?

mine will start from about the pedals to the rear with a high flow muffler.
its like 2 bends in the pipe but will remove the horrifying section of pipe which was crushed just in front of the diff originally.
should be heaps better than the original should gain a few hp
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Wed, 28 May 2003 05:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You'll probably gain about 10kW mate! especially if the middle of your current one is crushed... the freer'er flowing the better

Very Happy

Dan
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Wed, 28 May 2003 06:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bozwon wrote on Wed, 28 May 2003 14:56

was that for mild steel?

Not sure what it was made from....

BTW, if you're doing a 1G conversion, you might want to wait until after the conversion. Not sure about the 22R, but the exhaust side is on oppisite sides on the 21R compared to the 1G.....
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Wed, 28 May 2003 08:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark: if you paid $750 it would have been mild steel. Stainless is expensive stuff!
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Thu, 29 May 2003 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i wont be able to put the 1g in till the christmas holidays and the current exhaust is terrible.
ill borrow a digital camera and take some pics of the crushed pipe.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Thu, 29 May 2003 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, make sure you put a flange in there so that you can just stick a new front section in when you get the 1G in. Otherwise, you'll have to fork out for an entirely new exhaust come conversion time.

Why not just fix the crushed section for now? No use forking out $200+ if it's only gonna last 6 months.

Dare I say that 2.5" is way too big unless you're pushing lots of power?
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Thu, 29 May 2003 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Max, where did you get your exhaust done?
I'm looking at a 2.5" off the turbo dump pipe with only a single straight through muffler at the back, and the cheapest I've found is about $700 with mandrel bends & polished stainless muffler with polished 3" stainless tailpipe.

[Updated on: Thu, 29 May 2003 02:32]

bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Thu, 29 May 2003 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what side does the 1g come out. i thaught it was from the drivers side. same as the 2s-c.

2.5' shouldn't be too big i wouldn't imagine.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Thu, 29 May 2003 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Polished stainless mufflers are great for wank factor, but they cost you big. Try getting a quote for an all mild steel system, it will be much lower! Stainless mufflers usually last longer, but unless you're planning on keeping the car for more than 5 years it's a non-issue.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Thu, 29 May 2003 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I paid $150 for my 2.5" system, but it's only a metre long! Laughing
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Thu, 29 May 2003 05:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wagonist wrote on Thu, 29 May 2003 12:30

Max, where did you get your exhaust done?
I'm looking at a 2.5" off the turbo dump pipe with only a single straight through muffler at the back, and the cheapest I've found is about $700 with mandrel bends & polished stainless muffler with polished 3" stainless tailpipe.

I honestly can't remember any more! Somewhere up north.... hehe

bozwon wrote on Thu, 29 May 2003 14:55

what side does the 1g come out. i thaught it was from the drivers side. same as the 2s-c.

2.5' shouldn't be too big i wouldn't imagine.

Ah, so the 2S comes out on the driver's side? You're relatively OK then.

Dude, I have a 2.5" on my car and it pushes out 124.8kW at the wheels.... A 2S-C would prolly struggle to push out 40kW at the wheels.. Make that 30kW if you have a 2.5" system. Razz

gianttomato wrote on Thu, 29 May 2003 15:00

I paid $150 for my 2.5" system, but it's only a metre long! Laughing

Bastard.... Skull - Mad
Danners
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Thu, 29 May 2003 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Bozwon... the difference is with a naturally aspirated car you need back pressure in your exhaust, if its too big you'll lose power. A turbo car however wants that air out of there as quickly as possibly... the right exhaust can make a dramatic improvement in power

I'd suggest not even bothering with a new exhaust until you stick the 1G in there
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Thu, 29 May 2003 09:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im keepin the old exhaust just in case.

there is a couple or reasons for the new exhaust.
the main one of which is that me and my sisters boyfriend are gonna see how the 2s will cope with a smallish turbo with low boost.

b4 you guys get to the grilling im not expecting a great deal of hp from the engine. im just raising the power to hopefully around 70 rwkw. not much but i want to see how the celica handles a bit more power b4 i put a small fortune into it getting a new engine and such.

any comments are greatly appreciated but if you want you can pm me or chat on msn rather than turning this into a 5 page slandering match.

my e-mail for msn is bozwon@hotmail.com

cheers
mat
Turner
Newcomer

December 2002

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Fri, 30 May 2003 01:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I paid 300 for a 2.5" with one straight through system from the extractors back,but there cheap and nasty but i like my system so id say go for it
Rattlehead
Regular

May 2002
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Sat, 31 May 2003 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I paid $540 for 2.5" hi-flow cat, mandrel bends, 1 std hi-flow muffler and a magnaflow or whatever muffler. I dunno if it was a good price or not, I just wanted it done. I use the word 'hi-flow' coz thats what they called it and wrote on my receipt. Once I put a 1JZ in my car, I'll have to do it again...grrr, more money.

EDIT: Forgot to add - instead of the std hi-flow muffler, it use to have something called a hotdog. Then I complained it was too loud (My interior was rattling), so they changed it for a muffler for nothing. Was nice of them.

[Updated on: Sat, 31 May 2003 04:40]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Sat, 31 May 2003 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You dont want a great deal of hp from the engine, yet you expect 70kW's at the wheels from a 2S-C? The thing only just made over 70kW's at the engine when it was brand new! I'd suggest you don't touch it, getting that amount of power would require MAJOR work to it, and you would've wasted a HEAP of money that could have been spent more wisely getting the 1GGTE sooner.
juzzo84
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Sat, 31 May 2003 12:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i payed $350 and got a 2inch mandrel from the headers to the back including muffler.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Sat, 31 May 2003 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i made my own extractors and welded up my own exhaust.
total cost of all mandrel bends, pipes, 2 resonators and 1 muffler, all 2" was about $230. but i did the welding.

Backpressure? bollocks to that, what you need is resonance tuning and velocity. try reading Philip Smiths book on Intake and Exhaust Tuning. or another of his books "the design and Tuning of Competition engines"

my motor is 1.3L, the exhaust is 2" but the extractors are tuned for 5-6000rpm and revs to 8000+. power was 47.3kW@8000 at the wheels on dyno day 5 Wink

i reckon that the 2" is great for a small motor, for a 1.6l, maybe 2.25, 2L = 2.5" ... it also depends what revs you do.. a 2L revving to 5000rpm produces the same amount of exhaust gas as a 1.3L at 7700rpm

$200 is a great price, go get an ESA muffler for $50 and your laughin'
Cya, Stewart

bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Sun, 01 June 2003 01:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the 2s is a 2 litre engine which revs up to 6k but i rarely take it past 4500rpm (unless im racing) do you think 2.5” is excessive

justcallmefrank 70kw was just a (hopeful) guess, the pipe work will be done by a friend for next 2 nothing, the turbo will be second hand and will be sold upon arrival of the new engine and any other parts (turbo timer, external waste gate, bov(silent)) will be incorporated in the new engine so the total extra cost will be probly about $200-$300.

the main rwason for not putting the 1ggte in now is time. when it goes in im setting aside 2-3 months to do it right and get it properly set up. As well as doing some other work on the car.

i am aiming for around 300 rwkw out of the 1g so ill be throwing around 6-8k at it after its in.
yes that sort of power is possible as there is a Gemini that has a 1g in it that is making something like 356 rwkw.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Sun, 01 June 2003 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I paid 800 for a 3" system with a signle muffler and a cat for a 1G powered ra28.

flanged before the muffler and a pipe to replace it with, very happy with the job
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Mon, 16 June 2003 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got my 1jz cressie done at the same place as bugman.. got a 3" with two mufflers though to keep the noise down for the sleeperish look.

$865, carline belfield.

[Updated on: Mon, 16 June 2003 13:03]

V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Mon, 16 June 2003 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a 2.5" one off my supra lying in the garage if you're interested. is not mandrel bent but the quality mas as well say it is. Cost me $400 6 months ago - Can have it for $100 ono if youd like. Has a stainless dump pipe @ the end too.
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: 2.5" exhaust price? Mon, 16 June 2003 23:48 Go to previous message
V8_MA61 that would have been good except your in qld and im in nsw
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:what everyone think of the soarer twin turbo ?
Next Topic:Help! How much for a front spoiler?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 20:57:45 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0064151287078857 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.