Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?)

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Tue, 27 May 2003 07:40 Go to next message
im gonna lower the sa63.
i would change the suspension but funds dont permit right now and i cant find a good kit at a good price.

anyway im gonna get lowered king springs but dont know how much i should drop it 30 or 50mm. any opinions. it is currently at the stock ride height and scrapes the bars under the fuel tank occasionally on steep driveways.

for now the 14x7's are staying on it

all opinions welcome

cheers
mat
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Tue, 27 May 2003 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't recommend going to the 50mm, having IRS on the back like the SA63 does, it will have bulk negative camber on the back.
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Tue, 27 May 2003 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill go for the 30mm drop then i think

but what would you call 'bulk negative camber' -3 degrees or so.

how could you rectofy the problem? caster adjusters? any easy way?

cheers
mat
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Wed, 28 May 2003 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Couldn't give you a quantitative answer, but enough to compromise straight line traction, especially when you get 1GGTE.

As far as I know, no one makes something to correct this in the rear of the SA63/RA65/MA61.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Wed, 28 May 2003 01:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had my celica lowered when i bought it. I don't know the exact amount, but it was a disaster in certain areas, though, not cornering.

I was really putting a lot of strain on my strut housings in the front and people have been known to crack them?

Furthermore, a hole was worn in my exhaust in the middle of the car, as it would scrape on speedbumps etc, and my front spoiler was getting a trashing.

It is a heck of a good look for just driving slow, sitting low, and for going around corners realllllly fast, but I took it off as it was just creating too many other issues for me.

I would prefer a moderate, and yes, still sexy drop with some good quality shocks for performance than some type of 'hovercraft' Smile

Thats my 2c in hindsight neway
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Wed, 28 May 2003 01:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont want a car that looks like a hovercraft but want slightly better handelling (its pretty good as is but could be better) i think ill just go for the 30mm drop king springs.
a drop of 30mm will put the car fairly low as they are low(ish) stock

thanks for the help
mat
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Wed, 28 May 2003 02:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dropped mine 2" (~50mm) and it doesn't scrape any more than my Mum's stock Corolla (ie: only on Westfields DeathHumps, sometimes).
Also, the ride is REALLY firm, but I did get heavy shocks and springs.

As JCMF mentioned though, you have IRS which doesn't like big drops. Keep that in consideration.
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Wed, 28 May 2003 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am going to get firm/hard springs. (still researching exactly how hard)(any ideas) and after i change the springs the shocks will be next on the list

NARK i thaught your car had IRS. how hard are your springs?

cheers
mat
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Wed, 28 May 2003 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can't remember the rate of the springs. Sad

They're K-Mac items so they're fscking hard!

My car is a live rear. No problems with camber, apart from the front (which don't put down the power). Smile

My recommendation would be to save up and upgrade shocks and springs at the same time. If you go to hard springs, your shocks may not be able to control them properly and you'll end up getting sea sick. Smile
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Wed, 28 May 2003 04:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ill have a look on the k-mac site (if they have 1) now and see what its gonna cost me.
i was liiking on the whiteline site but they dont have a kit for any older celicas.
how expensive are k-mac's roughly for springs and shocks

cheers
mat
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Fri, 30 May 2003 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
couldn't find any suspension kits for my car on the site. does anyone know if they make one?
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Fri, 30 May 2003 07:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't think you need to look for a suspension kit, you'll upgrade the handling quite easily with the right shocks and springs.
I also recomend the 30mm drop, as it'll bring things down a little and still maintain a good suspension travel.
King Springs release progressive rate springs, at which the first inch (I think) of travel is standard spring rate, and every bit after that is twice the amount of spring rate. Say if 90 is standard, you've got 90 on the first inch of travel, then 180 on the rest. I've had them in a lighter car, and they work great, don't feel stupid, good control and really stop the car from getting out of control on undulations.

Shocks are a hard thing, depending on the application. You can't ues the standard shocks on lowered springs, because you'll find they just can't handle the rebound rate of the new springs. Go for gas if you can, and get something that is fairly good but not too cheap, don't get m*nroe or p*dders if you can avoid it. KYB's are really good, comparible to Koni's without the price.

Call GSA in Queensland to see if they do some for your car. (07) 3808-4698 I got my last set from there, and they kick arse over my last 3 sets of failed m*nroe shocks. (Live and learn! Wink )
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Fri, 30 May 2003 11:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the info Sprocket. im in sydney so GSA is a bit far to go for shocks.

im gonna go to the wheel shops in town tomorrow to see what they can do.
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Fri, 30 May 2003 14:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sproket - which model KYBs do you mean?

I have come to the conclusion that Monroe Gts aren't quite good enough with my regular lowered King Springs. They (and kyb) are recommened by Kings with their springs, but I don't feel the Monroe Gts control them enough (they were fine w/ stock springs, if a little soft)

Anyway, I rang the suspension place to price an upgrade. They said if I didn't like the Monroes, then I'd have to go with something like Konis or KYBs. Konis make yellows..... at $880 the set! (165 each rear, 275 each front). At that price, they arn't even externally adjustable. He said KYBS would be good, but they didn't make a single-tube for my car. Dual tube KYBS wouldn't really be any stiffer than my Monroes.

Bilsteins would likely be more expensive again than Konis. Tokicos aren't generally available in Australia. I haven't looked at Kmac yet as their online form doesn't work.

Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Fri, 30 May 2003 14:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BTW Bowzon - what size tyres do you run on your 14x7s? I have heard that 215s *may* rub on a lowered non-flared A6. I chose 205/60s on the Supra rims to be safe, but it looks undertyred IMO.

bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Sat, 31 May 2003 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
at the moment ive got 195's all round but am prolly getting some wheels and tyres off a mate which are 15x7's with 225 tread on them.

does anyone know of a company who sells externally adjustable shocks for the SA63 / RA65

cheers mat
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Sat, 31 May 2003 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Little bit off the subject but is there any advantage in getting stock struts rebuilt and re-valved only reason is that i know someone who can do it.
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Mon, 02 June 2003 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stefan - I was just talking about KYB's in general. I used them on an rx3, and had a good result from them.

With my corolla, the previous owner used koni adjustables cranked up as hard as they go, and still it would bottom out on the wheels. In the end, urethane bushes were used to stop the wheels hitting the body, but this proved to reduce suspension travel in the rear to an insane one inch.

I guess it's different for different applications.

Bozwon - GSA will freight shocks down to sydney fairly cheap. If you are looking for King Springs in Sydney, ring Wholesale suspension components in Penrith. 02 4721 2112. (He's the Sydney King Springs agent.) Might be able to sort some shocks out as well, but I haven't ever talked to him about them before.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Mon, 02 June 2003 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
K-Macs were about $300 for springs on each corner.
Front inserts were about $200 each, from memory.

Stay away from progressives, they suck. Linear rate are much better.

I highly recommend Konis. Very, VERY good! They're externally adjustable too. And rebuildable.
bozwon
Regular

March 2003
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Tue, 03 June 2003 00:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
do konis make springs or just shocks

how much are they gonna set me back

cheers
mat
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: how low to go (30 or 50mm drop?) Tue, 03 June 2003 01:01 Go to previous message
Stefan wrote on Sat, 31 May 2003 00:52

Konis make yellows..... at $880 the set! (165 each rear, 275 each front). At that price, they arn't even externally adjustable.

I didn't type it out for nothing Razz
I believe they do make springs, but they wouldn't be cheap

Nark - konis don't end up being externally adjustable for our cars. Not from what I was told, anyway. And what's so bad about progs? Kingsprings for an IRS celi end up linear rear and prog fronts, thought I belive I was told the main reason they made the fronts progressive was about keeping the spring trapped&seated.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:sump leek (1ggte)
Next Topic:mr2 snorkles
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 7 08:14:29 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.006213903427124 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.