Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 4agze question?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
frank_grimes
Regular

May 2002
4agze question? Wed, 28 May 2003 00:23 Go to next message
I understand there are a few types of 4agze's, I can see the difference between the mr2 and ae92 one. But what I don't get and don't understand from the link below is the 4agze engine that looks like the ae92(runs DLI) engine but runs an AFM and not MAP.

What the difference?

Which has more power?

Which is easier to modify?

And where did it come from?

http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/4A-G ZE_specs.htm
  Send a private message to this user    
DAMO
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze question? Wed, 28 May 2003 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The first gze engine I had was DLI large port head AFM and the larger pulley on the supercharger which I was told was from a MR2. The second one I got had small port head, MAP sensor, DLI and smaller pulley on supercharger which I was told it was from an AE92 rolla. This is only what I've been told from the importers because most people say that DLI didn't come in the MR2.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4agze question? Wed, 28 May 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well Mark.

That link is correct however personally I like to split it up into 4 generations...

(1) AW11 MR2 108Kw
- AFM
- Distributor
- 8.0 Compression
- Bigport head

(2) AE92 (series 1) 108kw
- AFM
- DLI Twin coil
- 8.0 Compression
- Bigport head

(3) AE92 (series 2) 123kw
- MAP
- DLI Twin coil
- 8.9 Compression
- Smallport head
- Slightly more boost (smaller pulley)

(4) AE101 127kw
- Same as AE92 series 2 however different exhaust is said to make the 4kws difference

There are internal differences but they are all mentioned in the article.

If you're building a 'OEM part super engine' then start from scratch with a late oil squirter block and 8.9 CR pistons. Then go Bigport head full custom intake and 1GGZE SC14 S/C.

However that is at the pointy end of OEM part based engine. I reckon you will have no problem with any one of the last 3 generations.

As the last 3 generations are all essentially the same engine, bar some internal differences and the head just stick to bolt ons.

For example; A good intercooler, More boost and good extractors should net atleast 200 odd reliable ponies (147kws) from any one of the later three engines.

My only suggestion is to steer clear of the AW11 4AGZE but simpley because i dont like distributors especially when you have the option of a twin coil engine for the same price.

frank_grimes
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze question? Thu, 29 May 2003 01:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks Chris (overpricedvacume)
do you know of any cheap 4agzes in adelaide i found one at jaustech afm ae92 for $1500

i haven't been down to jms or d1? i need the loom intacked with the comp.
DAMO
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze question? Thu, 29 May 2003 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway, have you tried this setup you are suggesting here (1G blower bigport etc.) If so how much power did you get??
sikmr2
Regular

January 2003
Re: 4agze question? Thu, 29 May 2003 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If u do this ya might as well buy a half cut. That way ya get the motor, gearbox, ecu and loom all in tact and alot of other shitty bits too for a reasonable price. I bought my ae101 half cut from A1's on Grand Junction Rd. Ya can get the whole half cut for around the same price as some places are selling a 4agze long block. Too easy!
Rex: have you tried the sc14 from the 1G on the 4agze? Ive got one with all the brackets and shit to fit the 4agze but just need a pulley made up, cause the stock sc14 one wont fit in my MR2 engine bay. If you have, how much more power did you notice? What crank pulley were you running?
Singlecam
Regular

May 2002
Re: 4agze question? Fri, 30 May 2003 15:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The ae92 & ae101 are the same engine exactly. The only difference is the twin exhuast pipe at the end of the headers, which makes the difference in power. They are both Gen3 engines as there is certainly no cause to seperate them into seperate catergories.
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 4agze question? Sat, 31 May 2003 02:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
According to the link the ae101 has floating piston pins with 'snap-rings' (suggesting the rest are all pressed pins?), and the rods are forged & lightened. I'm pretty sure the pistons are supposed to be different too, but I'm not gonna jump into that debate, unless anyone has printed word from Toyota as to the different piston specs.
I have some rods & pistons here with the snap rings, if anyone has some without the snap rings it'd be good to compare them with some pictures.
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 4agze question? Sun, 01 June 2003 12:47 Go to previous message
There are cheap 4agze's abound. I bought a series 2 (AFM/DLI) one a few months ago in very good condition (looks barely run) with complete with uncut loom and ECU for $650. The only problem was that the head was off. That doesnt matter though because its sitting on the bench as the basis for the 4AGTE.

Then i found another one with a freshly acid dipped and honed block and complete factory S2 4AGZE internals. However it came without cam covers 1 valve, 2 buckets or the S/C, still had a complete loom though, i figure its good for development/spares purposes. I grabbed a 20Valve too off the same guy and got the lot for $950

There are bargains to be had, and I find Toymods is definately invaluable in the search.

As for the Super GZE, no I havent built one. but I think these parts would go quite well together. I'll eventually try it, maybe as my hillclimb/race engine. However id probably look at trying the 7AGZE route but setup the same.

[Updated on: Sun, 01 June 2003 12:50]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:overheating cressida
Next Topic:How much will it cost to transplant a 2tg from another car into my car?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 15 05:10:51 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0060708522796631 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.