Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Shortening struts Wed, 28 May 2003 09:56 Go to next message
Ok I have some RA40 struts that I want to fit to my TA22. Whats envolved in shortening these things?
Anyone doen this before?
I have been givin a little information on what to do but just want to be 100% sure what to do so I dont stuff things up Confused

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Shortening struts Wed, 28 May 2003 11:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cut however much you want to shorten them by out of the strut. Anywhere after the threaded part at the top is fine. Then weld two main parts back together.

Or if you can find someone to re-cut that thread. Then hack it off the top

[Updated on: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:32]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Shortening struts Wed, 28 May 2003 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rex_Kelway wrote on Wed, 28 May 2003 21:31

Cut however much you want to shorten them by out of the strut. Anywhere after the threaded part at the top is fine. Then weld two main parts back together.

This is the bit I dont really understand Confused

Quote:

Or if you can find someone to re-cut that thread. Then hack it off the top

I understand this though Smile

[Updated on: Wed, 28 May 2003 11:36]

demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Shortening struts Wed, 28 May 2003 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've heard it's quite hard to re-cut the thread at the top cause it's really fine, but I could be wrong.

Does anyone know of the legality of shortening struts (and/or converting to coilovers)? According to QLD vehicle modification guide it says no cutting or welding suspension/steering components, has anyone ever gotten their shortened struts engineered? Everyone I know with shortened struts have just turned a blind eye, but I'd like to keep my car (mostly) legal...

silversup
Regular

December 2002
Re: Shortening struts Thu, 29 May 2003 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would also like to know about shortening struts and even a coilover conversion?!

wouldn't rewelding the strut introduce weakness??? Rolling Eyes
I prefer the idea of rethreading?! but only if it is feasable!

Also are there any complications with what springs you put on? or would you need custom made heights?!

Sorry to hijak a bit - thanks Shane!
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Shortening struts Thu, 29 May 2003 06:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
silversup wrote on Thu, 29 May 2003 11:14

Sorry to hijak a bit - thanks Shane!

No worries, more info the better!
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Shortening struts Thu, 29 May 2003 11:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I shortened a set of RA40 struts for my TA22 about 15 years ago and still have them in now without any problems , If you cut and reweld do it as close to the top as possible as this is where the least strain is on the strut , and if your not real good at welding get someone experienced to do it as it needs to be a good weld with good penetration , mig weld is good but for the strongest weld use oxy welding , Another way is to not shorten the strut but to fit the TA22 strut cartridge in and make a spacer to fit between the nut and the cartridge , The spring pad on the RA strut is a different size than the TA22 and will need to be replaced with the pad off the TA22 strut , I rewelded this pad on 25mm lower than normal as to lower the front a bit , The RA springs cant be used as they have a larger diameter and the top spring seat off the RA will not fit up inside the strut tower of the TA22 .

Trevor
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Shortening struts Thu, 29 May 2003 11:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22-3SGTE wrote on Thu, 29 May 2003 21:25

Another way is to not shorten the strut but to fit the TA22 strut cartridge in and make a spacer to fit between the nut and the cartridge

Ok I dont really understand this bit Confused What/where is the nut in question?

I'm thinking that maybe I should pull one on these struts down and try and learn something Rolling Eyes
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Shortening struts Thu, 29 May 2003 12:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The RA strut is about 25mm longer than the TA22 strut , so when you fit the TA22 strut cartridge into the RA strut there is a gap of about 25mm between the nut and cartridge ( big nut with a hole to fit over the cartridge shaft and screw into the top of the strut to hold the cartridge in , so a spacer is needed between this nut and the cartridge .

Trevor
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: Shortening struts Thu, 29 May 2003 12:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok thanks. I'll have to pull one down to get a better prospective Confused
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Shortening struts Thu, 29 May 2003 12:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trevor: why do you put the spacer at the top? All the cases I've seen have had the spacer at the bottom?
TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Shortening struts Thu, 29 May 2003 13:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
With the spacer at the top when the front of the car lifts off the suspension over large bumps or on one side when on hard cornering the wheel will not hang as much as if the spacer is on the bottom , but if wheel hang distance is not a concern than using the RA strut and cartridge without shortening or need of spacers would do the job .

Trevor
demuire
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Shortening struts Thu, 29 May 2003 13:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ah, so basically it will mimic shorter stroke shocks. Would this be a problem if you're not using lowered springs? I would assume it would be because the shock would always be almost at full extension? What do you use to space the top? Like a washer?

TA22-3SGTE
Regular

May 2002
Re: Shortening struts Thu, 29 May 2003 13:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can use an old strut nut with the thread and hex machined off so it fits neatly into the strut , Standard length springs should be OK with the spacer at the bottom or as I said above just use the RA cartridges , the longer strut and cartridge will not affect anything other than wheel hang and bump stop .

Trevor
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Shortening struts Sat, 31 May 2003 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
all you gotta do is find a shorter shock that will fit into the ra40 cartridge and then put the spacer on the bottom of the shock and you are done.. make sure it is compatible with the ta22 bearing plate.. it would be even betetr if the ra40 bearing plate fits in the strut tower.. i am not sure if they are the same shape or not
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Shortening struts Sat, 31 May 2003 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
http://www.club4ag.com/faq%20and%20tech_pages/Shor t%20Stroke%20Conversion.htm
Rex_Kelway
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Shortening struts Sun, 01 June 2003 13:13 Go to previous message
Demuire:

The idea behind spacing a shorter strut and/or cutting the strut casing is to put the damper piston in the center of its possible stroke range when its loaded with the cars weight.

Because the piston in the damper moves up and down relative to the casing. it needs to fall in the center of the damper to give it distance to move both up and down freely. Else the damper can bottom out or have the piston torn from the damper top (the opposite of bottoming out)

Be sure you understand how the height that a car sits relative to its damper's stroke works. The Club4AG article is a good start but to help me understand i spent some time drawing up scenarios on some paper.

Cool1,

No offence, but it sounds like you dont really understand exactly what a MacPherson strut is and how it works. I would suggest actually grabbing a strut from a wrecker and pulling it appart. You'll get it in no time. Also take note of the differences between cartrige type and bolt on (later model type) struts.

Check ot the Club4AG link, its a pretty good how-to. But make sure you understand the ideas before actually doing it, after all you might not even need to cut/shorten the strut.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:help cressida
Next Topic:overheating cressida
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 01:40:56 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.005403995513916 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.