Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Mon, 02 June 2003 04:19 Go to next message
Im going to purchase an AW11 Mr2 very soon, just wanted to know how good of a car they are? Any common problems? Are parts easy to find? I have a aussie spec sprinter at the moment and ive decided to buy and new car.
Can anybody share your thoughts here so i can have an idea what i will be getting myself into..

Thanks heaps guys...

Send a private message to this user    
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Mon, 02 June 2003 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The AW11 is a great car, too much weight and not enough power but plenty of handling.

Are you buying an australian delivered version or an import?
I'd sugest getting the supercharged import if you can. You might want to take a look at the costs for insurance as well because it's not too pleasant, for my AW11 insured for about 10K with a few mods 27 year old driver max no claim and no infringments ever, it's over $1500 for comprehensive.

The parts? Hmm. The engine parts are everywhere, it's a 4AGE after all, some suspension parts are hard/impossible to get depending on what year model you buy. Body panels are not too easy to find either. On the other hand I have been handing out a flogging to mine for the last few months in order to kill it and convince myself to get off my arse and get the 3SGTE installed but can't mange to make it die.

I understand the choice to go for an AW11 as it is a much more modern interior and drive than the sprinter but the sprinter is still a sweet car.

My advice would be, make sure there is no rust in the AW11, check the coolant and make sure it is full with no bubbles after a drive (the head gasket can be a bit of a worry in a car of this age), check the steering for front end vibes, and buy the car that feels the best to drive.

If you get an AW11 please don't try and drive it the way I see a lot of AE86's being driven sideways at every chance, you will mess it up. Take the car to a track day and get to know the handling characteristics in a safe environment. They handle awesomely but they will bite you if you mess up.
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Mon, 02 June 2003 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks heaps for that Joshtix, maybe i might just put a 4age into my aussie sprinter..Thanks again
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Tue, 03 June 2003 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Whoah there tiger.

I'm not trying to discourage you here. Like i said the AW11 is an awesome car and brilliant to drive. Really before you make a decision go and drive an AW11 and see what you think just make sure there are some corners where you test drive it.

The AE86 is a good car and I really wanted to buy one for my missus to drive to work, I'm sure it would be a heap of fun with a 4AGE in it but if the insurance is what discouraged you from the AW11 then look carefully at insurance for an engine conversion because it can get scary depending on your insurer.

Go to a dealer that has an AW11 and take it out for a fang I don't think you'll be disapointed.
DacBietAE86
Regular

March 2003
Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Tue, 03 June 2003 04:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah i have test driven the aw11 and your right..Bloody awesome!
But the first thing that is making me think twice is parts for the MR2 are very rare and most probly more rarer then the ae86.
Secondly i have a whole sprinter for parts as well..

arghh and i really wanted the Mr2 as well!!!....
LiL_MiC
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Tue, 03 June 2003 05:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmm from wat i can remember the interior isn't THAT much more modern looking. a lot of hte pieces looked familiar actually like the door handles but on an angle.

However I did remember the seats were better on the mr2! and material as well.
the 4age also sounded different. but of course it could have just been the car i looked at [well a friend was, i was taggin a long]
Ronin
Regular

May 2002

Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Tue, 03 June 2003 05:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Joshstix wrote on Mon, 02 June 2003 14:58

On the other hand I have been handing out a flogging to mine for the last few months in order to kill it and convince myself to get off my arse and get the 3SGTE installed but can't mange to make it die.

3SGTE in an AW11, has that been done before? is it possible?
Seems to be alot less space in an AW11 engine bay than an SW20.
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Tue, 03 June 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mad mad cars love em. if it was humanly possible and social acceptable it'd have my kids Laughing http://www.board.mr2faq.com/ <---- damn good forum for all types of mr2's, theres also an indepth discussion on how the conversion is done etc (3s-gte into aw11). They are loosly termed mk1.5's.
Also check out http://www.pbase.com/aw11clown/aw11 Just some pics i've found around the net, i've got more but thats all i can put up Sad

[Updated on: Tue, 03 June 2003 07:37]

Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Tue, 03 June 2003 07:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep it's possible, it's been done around 10 times in different places around the world including at least one in Australia.
Yes there is a lot less room in an AW11 engine bay than a SW20 but there's a lot less weight as well so I think the tight fit will be rather worth while.

Have you had any luck with finding a post 94 MR2 turbo half cut yet?
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Tue, 03 June 2003 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't got an aw11 yet Sad but been reading different stuff about them for when i do. Not sure what way id go with the engine yet. Work the gze, turbo the gze, twin charge the gze (cost more but unique), or drop a 3s-gte in it.
Ronin
Regular

May 2002

Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Tue, 03 June 2003 08:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Id be interested in what sort of performance you can get out of 3SGTE in an A11.

As for a 94+ half cut...Im figuring it cheaper/easier to sell my current ride and buy a post 94 complete.

[Updated on: Tue, 03 June 2003 08:31]

rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Tue, 03 June 2003 09:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
John AKA feral4mr2 on the forums.

http://www.geocities.com/feral4mr2/feral4mr2home.h tml

I'll be importing a S/C AW11 hopefully some time next year.
You can get them for around 6k with out compliance.
A mate just imported one and it is in smick condition.

http://www.mypage.tsn.cc/rollaboy/CAR4(1).jpg
http://www.mypage.tsn.cc/rollaboy/Picture%20006_3.jpg
Clown
Forums Junkie

September 2002

Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Tue, 03 June 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
aparently 13's with the 3s-gte into aw11, and verry little weight change Shocked
Chris Davey
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Tue, 03 June 2003 09:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
a little while ago i found the records for street drag classes in japan. And guess what was winning the under 2400cc RWD class?

It was an AW11 mr2. with either an extremely worked 4agze or a hardcore 3s. running low 10's on street tires.
sikmr2
Regular

January 2003
Re: Whats your thoughts about AW11 Mr2? Sat, 07 June 2003 10:56 Go to previous message
I test drove and looked at heaps of different cars B4 i got my AW11, and as soon as i drove 1 , i had to get 1. They are brilliant cars to drive and parts are very easy to find, ya just have to know where to look.
As for the 3SGTE in the AW11, its been done a few times. Check out the MR2 forum, under MK1.5
http://www.board.mr2faq.com/index.php?s=2fff3dea7e 56230169e47df532246dd1
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:This Honda got 0wned!
Next Topic:Opinions and advice on panel beaters!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 06:05:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0051989555358887 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.