Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 1ggte ballast resistor?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
1ggte ballast resistor? Mon, 02 June 2003 09:01 Go to next message

Hi, I've been talking to Craig (ddeane) about the 1ggte and he mentioned it may require a ballast resistor for the injectors to keep the voltage down. Can anyone confirm that a generation 3 also requires a ballast resistor as I've been looking at the wiring diagrams and fail to see one.

Any help is appreciated...

Cheers Kirk
  Send a private message to this user    
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1ggte ballast resistor? Mon, 02 June 2003 12:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Does anyone here own a gen 3 or done a gen 3 conversion before?

Just curious, because I know alot of members on here have 1ggte's and would just like to know what generation everyone is running?

Kirk
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon10.gif  Re: 1ggte ballast resistor? Mon, 02 June 2003 12:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Me. Smile
grim boy
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1ggte ballast resistor? Mon, 02 June 2003 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im running a gen3
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1ggte ballast resistor? Mon, 02 June 2003 13:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So does anyone know anything about the ballast resistor?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: 1ggte ballast resistor? Tue, 03 June 2003 00:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm pretty damn sure we didn't use one. Mos would know for sure since he did the wiring for the car.
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1ggte ballast resistor? Tue, 03 June 2003 00:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Nark... Very Happy
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1ggte ballast resistor? Tue, 03 June 2003 14:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have what appears to be a gen 1 1G-GTE - yellow ECU plugs & injectors - in the yellow wreck in the garage.

colour-of-plugs assumption based on the technote here:
http://www.toymods.org.au/1g_versions.html

Also, the hoods on the injec connectors are brown & grey.

however, the ECU's label only has '1G-GT" on it ??

It has large ballast resister for injectors under the bonnet - has three wires: presumably one for each bank of injectors and the third going to ground, tho it rejoins the wiring loom before doing so. i would think that without it, the injectors will pull too much juice and you'll either fry the driver circuits in the ECU or the injec's will pop.

having said that, the other wiring diagram i have shows no ballast resister - so maybe gen 3 used different (hi impedance) injecs?
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1ggte ballast resistor? Tue, 03 June 2003 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kirk

The wiring diagram on this site is for a gen 3 1ggte. It obviously has a ballast resistor. To check for your particular engine, confirm the impedance of the injectors - if the are 2.8 ohms you will need the resister if they are 13 or so ohms you will not. Once you have done that drop me a line and I will check the resistance of the ballast resistor on my car and let you know - you can then do a check of injected toyotas at the wreckers or obtain a high wattage resistor from an auto electrician or Jaycar (as I did with my 2tge)

Craig
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1ggte ballast resistor? Tue, 03 June 2003 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Charles that was the conclusion I had come to along wih my father. But I will be checking the impedence non the less just to make sure.

Thanks Craig, can you show me where abouts on the wiring diagram it shows the ballast resistor? I can see the injectors running from the ignition switch and then off to the ecu but no mention of the resistor... As I havn't been reading wiring diagrams for too long maybe there is something I am missing completely? Embarassed
thechuckster
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 1ggte ballast resistor? Wed, 04 June 2003 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi Kirk/craig,

after reading craig's message i wondered if perhaps the ballast probably goes between the the power source (ign switch) and the injectors?

i've got a diagram at home but there's no 'obvious' ballast in that circuit - unless it's a connector in disguise?

it's this 6 page diagram i snaffled and converted to PDF:
http://members.optushome.com.au/mkhala/red_celica/ 1G-GTE_info/1g_gte_ecu_wiring.pdf

... back to the point.. because ... it appears that the ECU is switching the injectors to ground or leaving them open circuit - so if most of the current dump is prior to the ECU (e.g. at the ballast) it doesn't have to handle/disperse large transients or spikes when switching. i think?

ta, charles.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 1ggte ballast resistor? Wed, 04 June 2003 15:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
from what i understand of efi (From the MS list), the ballast resistor is there to limit current to the injectors. there was much talk of this as the MS can run PWM or full current. do the toyota ECU's run PWM?
anyhoo, it shouldn't matter that much if it is before or after the injectors as they are ther to limit current, but between the power source and injectors is 'normal'

yes, the ECU switches the injector power to ground, and is open circuit otherwise.

for high impedance injectors (say 14ohms) each injector pulls 1amp, so the ECU is switching 6amps total.
with lowZ injectors (say 3ohms) the ballast resistance depends if there is 1 or 2 switching circuits in the ECU (how many banks folks?) if they are on one bank in parallel, (and are 3ohms) then injec resis is 0.75 ohms so ballast is around 12-14 homs. wattage is around 70W total for 1A draw on each injector..

as for spikes, there is a large amount of flyback when the injector closes, causing very short sharp voltage spikes, but factory ECU's are designed to tolerate this.

funny that manufacturers use low Z injectors, which are in theory so you can have full current for fast opening and then PWM for less power comsumption and then faster closing.... and they go and put ballast in front of them... hmmmmm
Cya, Stewart
ddeane
Regular

June 2002
Re: 1ggte ballast resistor? Wed, 04 June 2003 22:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kirk

Gulp - removes foot from mouth. I did have a proper look at the wiring diagram for the gen 3 and it looks like it must use high impedance injectors - as there is NO ballast resister. The Gen 2 definitely does.

Craig
KiRK
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: 1ggte ballast resistor? Wed, 04 June 2003 23:13 Go to previous message
Thanks guys for all your info, these boards rock. Now I know when I finally get round to turning the key I won't be blowing the injectors.

Craig you can remove your foot Laughing I can't imagine it tastes that good.

Thanks again everyone.

Kirk

[Updated on: Wed, 04 June 2003 23:13]

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Just a simple question
Next Topic:3tgte twin spark?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 20:30:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0059261322021484 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar