Toymods » Tech & Conversions » I was thinking of getting a '77 celica

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Wed, 04 June 2003 03:36 Go to next message
I was thinking of getting a '77 celica maybe in 6 months time, 'cause i saw a really nice looking one at the carpark. I just thought i'd run some ideas past you guys, being the experts and all:

* Rust problems?
* I want to change the engine because i hate the idea of running around in a car with an unreliable engine from '77. Is there any easy/cheap way to get a more modern engine (maybe a 20 valve?)(think $1000-1500 max on an engine conversion)
* How much should i pay?
* Is it easy to make them handle nicely? Like a set of springs/shocks/swaybars?

I really like the look of them, the only thing holding me back is i don't like the idea of having a car with an unreliable, old, petrol-stealing engine.

Thanks all!!!

[Updated on: Wed, 04 June 2003 03:40]

Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Wed, 04 June 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you will find that the 18R-C is a VERY reliable engine and in some cases VERY hard to kill...
chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Wed, 04 June 2003 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, if they're reliable thats all good then. But... i don't like the idea of horrible fuel economy - i heard they use approx 16L/100k ? This is a problem because i do 350-400 kays a week.
Anyway i like the idea of having a modern (or at least EFI) engine in an old classic like that.
Any ideas for easy engine transplants?
trent_kershaw
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Wed, 04 June 2003 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more like 10L/100km

you can't do much with $1000 to $1500 conversion wise.

Maybe an 18rgeu.....

[Updated on: Wed, 04 June 2003 04:27]

chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Wed, 04 June 2003 04:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
10L ??? mmm sounds alright... but my charade drinks 6.5L/100!!

I just had a look in the 'for sale' part of the website. Holy moly it's looking promising! but, when i go to buy, which engine should i look for?
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Wed, 04 June 2003 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chris where are u hearing all of this mis-information about the reliability and fuel consumption of celica engines?
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Wed, 04 June 2003 05:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hulbie - with your budget you are probably limited to a 18R-GEU motor. This is similar to the one that i have, but EFI. Still relatively lively in the power/torque stakes, and within the budget. Finding the motor may take a little time though! And they can be a little "tired" and in need of an expensive rebuild too!
The other option is a 4a-ge, cheapish motor to find, and easy to get parts for. However engineering is required for that one!

The car may also take a fair while to find! Most people spend 2-3 months PLUS looking for the right car with little to no rust and decent condition.

Handling is dead EASY! You dont have to go as far as me, but some nice stiff lowered springs, and a decent set of whiteline front and rear swaybars will have the beast sitting in corners like it was made for them. Shocks will help to, but they can be quite expensive!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Wed, 04 June 2003 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rob - i think he may be referring to the petrol consuming cabilities of my severely out of tune 18R-GU on webers....
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Wed, 04 June 2003 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i see

well i agree with Mr Wolfcastle here, the 18R-GEU will give the better fuel consumption compared to the 18R-C and 18R-G for the lowest conversion costs.

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Wed, 04 June 2003 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"i am starring in a new movie"
"What's it about"
"I'm a father who is horrified to find out that my son is a nerd"
"I'm laughing already"
"It is not a comedy"

Yes, i like Mr Wolfcastle....

chrishulbert
Regular

March 2003
Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Wed, 04 June 2003 05:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Soo.... sounds like finding a recently rebuilt 18r-geu is the way to go...
Basically, i'm after a cheap but reliable and fun (reasonable handling and speed) setup.

Yep you guessed it, karl's webers are where my fears of petrol stations are coming from Wink

wolfcastle??? Gotta love the things they come up with from your surname karl Smile
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Wed, 04 June 2003 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i actually think Rob was more referring to my use of Ranier Wolfcastle (aka McBain) quotes from the Simpsons....

But anyway, ON TOPIC Razz

Yes a recently rebuild 18R-GEU would be the way to go. Easiest, cheapest and most reliable and economic. The only hard part will be finding one. A few appear every so often, but they are becoming rarer and rarer. Once you find one fitting the motor is relatively easy - all the engine mounts, gearbox, and half the wiring (except for the EFI stuff) is the same as what the car has from factory.
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Thu, 05 June 2003 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you are going to look at buying one, check for rust in door skins and in the sills in front of the rear wheels. You will probably find a little spot of rust under the fuel filler, don't worry about that it was a factory option.

I doubt you will get any efi transplant for $1500. If thats all you want to spend, either give the original 18R engine a freshen up or go for an 18R-g. Even this engine will cost you $1500 or more to install.

Alternatively look around for one that has already been done. You will save yourself a packet.
Hack
Occasional Poster

October 2002
Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Thu, 05 June 2003 03:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Rust?

U wanna know about rust?

Top of doors under the chrome strip.
Bottom of sills under black plasticky side skirts.
Bottom rear of door opening in chassis.
Inbetween door hinges.
The entire damn hatch... The corners of the hatch where the window sits, the hinges on the chassis can let water into the roof & rust everything out up in there & the hatch surround on the body where the rubber is supposed to sit.
The top of the "C" pillars.
Inside the hatch on the right hand side under the tin plates that cover the fuel filler inlet is a hole leading down to just behind the rear wheel. Usually this has no floor in it...
Behind rear wheels.

Thats all I can think of for now.

As for handling as much castor as you can get helps a bit too.

Catch ya

simulant
Regular

January 2003
Re: I was thinking of getting a '77 celica Thu, 05 June 2003 10:23 Go to previous message
I have on occasion managed to get 600k's out of a tank of fuel, this was running Unleaded through my 18r-c only mod is extractors it did pritty well on that trip, it was quite empty after that but it did it. I'm not sure if that was just before or just after it ate it's timing gear.

anyway fuel consumption isn't that bad.

Alan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:levers on my aircon dun move..
Next Topic:gze idle problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 17:57:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0053348541259766 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.