Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
1G Engines Tue, 08 October 2002 02:34 Go to next message
has anyone here in sunny SA put a 1G engine in their early celica's or corolla's or any other 4 cyl car for that matter *Legally*.
If you have taken it through regency, what have they picked on and have you needed engineering, or is this something that isn't done in Adelaide and people have stuck to 18R-G's etc.
Thanks
Midge
  Send a private message to this user    
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G Engines Tue, 08 October 2002 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah there was a guy who put a 1ggte into a ra28, had it all legal and everything I think, l;ast I heard though some chick hit him and wrote his front end off, but I think he's putting it into a new shell and everything.... so yeah. it has been done.

Brendon
Seven of GAFFiO
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1G Engines Mon, 14 October 2002 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RPM in Edwardstown performance have done this conversion a few times into the RA23/28. I also have a artical from a magazine that shows how to do it. Its not that hard of a conversion to do. The only main modification is shorening of the engine mounts.

Lemmie know if you want to get a photocopy of the atrical or something.
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: 1G Engines Mon, 14 October 2002 23:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A photocopy would be extremely grouse.
I have printed out a plethora of tech articles and threads from Toymods, but the more info i can get the better. Hopefully if regency is kind then i will be installing in early Nov. I really don't want to have to resort to the 18RG.
So there isn't anyone who has done the conversion who is on Toymods?
I will PM you Seven.
DRAG'N 4
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1G Engines Wed, 16 October 2002 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would much appreciate a copy aswell, I am planning to eventually do the same conversion to my RA28, please send a copy (if/whenever you can) to zippyozzy69@hotmail.com
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: 1G Engines Thu, 17 October 2002 00:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I called RPM,
They quoted upwards of $7600 to install- I don't know what that involved but it would be pretty hard core I am sure. They couldn't even say whether it would get through regency. Unreal. I think i will be definitely installing myself. Does anyone have access to a welder. Very Happy .
Would love to get that article. Regency said I will be getting my response next week, I am packing my dacks, I hope I can do this without too many probs.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G Engines Thu, 17 October 2002 02:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Good luck, i was originally heaps interested in this conversion, even in natural aspiration it would still blitz as it is such a torquey engine, fark it would make a celica such a weapon ! thinking how much wheelspin a -GTE would get also, NA would be my choice i reckon?? I abandoned nearly all hope tho after hearing how hard it would be to get through regency and even paying 6 cylinder rego is bullshit for a small car, but its always possible. I heard of that guy with the TT 1G around here, someone even mistook my car for it one day cos he said the colour resembled it.. i wish mate. no only pushrod power for me at present. real power->someday.

Peace
Seven of GAFFiO
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1G Engines Thu, 17 October 2002 05:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$7600?!?!?!? GOD DAMN! that would have to incluide the cost of the engine and computer/etc???
I have a Mate in Brisbane who has just finished putting a 1G-GTE in his RA40
He is on Toymods, His name is Brett and his Toymods Alias is "helmann" he will be happy to tell you what he knows.
Seven of GAFFiO
Regular

July 2002
Re: 1G Engines Thu, 17 October 2002 05:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$7600?!?!?!? GOD DAMN! that would have to incluide the cost of the engine and computer/etc???
I have a Mate in Brisbane who has just finished putting a 1G-GTE in his RA40
He is on Toymods, His name is Brett and his Toymods Alias is "helmann" he will be happy to tell you what he knows.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G Engines Thu, 17 October 2002 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$7200 ouch. Considering 1G into a Celica is meant to be fairly easy, its a lot to pay.

What do you need a welder for midge?
BTW, if you need a hand at any point getting it in, lemme know... i would like to help as i want to do the conv (1G into celcia) one day also.
I guess this depends if regency gives you the go though.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 October 2002 13:16]

RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: 1G Engines Fri, 18 October 2002 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
need to weld 2 things, the gear box cross member needs two tabs welded on and the sump may need to be modified but how much depends on what sump I can get hold of. Also I don't really know what is going to be needed to be done with exhaust yet. Will probably need a professional to join it and put a cat in.
MWP. Will let you know when I am doing the conversion, the more help the better.
I know this is pretty dodge, but, if anyone has appropriate facilities (ie big shed) that I could use for the engine conversion, including engine hoist etc I would be almost willing to give them my other RA28. it is registered and driving but needs heaps of body work.
I hate waiting to hear back from regency. Shocked
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 1G Engines Fri, 18 October 2002 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oy... i want that other RA28 Wink
Seriously, if the rust isnt toooo bad, ill most probably buy it off you.
BOOSTN
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: 1G Engines Sun, 03 November 2002 15:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry guy's i haven't been here for a while.
Yeah It's my car, just posted in the other 1G thread about what happened. Was (is) a RA23, not a 28.

Anyways getting towards finished again after the old man accident, will be better than before anyway.
Wasn't quite that expensive, but I also did things a bit different to others here, that price included motor, Microtech MTX8, new radiator, new belts,custom leads etc, 1 coil per cyl, and a few other tricks.
If anyone wants to know anything else, let me know.

[Updated on: Sun, 03 November 2002 15:32]

Kach22
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1G Engines Sun, 23 March 2003 11:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will keep an ear out for info, I dont know stuff all about those engines but would love to have a LT with 1G in the club!
BOOSTN
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: 1G Engines Mon, 31 March 2003 16:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Kach22 wrote on Sun, 23 March 2003 21:37

Will keep an ear out for info, I dont know stuff all about those engines but would love to have a LT with 1G in the club!

Gimme about two or three months to finish it off and you will have. It won't be twin turbo though, it'll be single T04 with bout 200kw at the rears Shocked
eastie
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1G Engines Thu, 03 April 2003 04:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey fellaz, i to have become interested in the 1g in my celica, well it was really the reason why i purchased the car... i would love all the information i could get, as i dont really want to go by just the 2 toymods examples, tho they are detaild, i would rather talk to some one about it...

no way would i take it to rmp to get the conversion i also rang them up, and i was like Shocked Shocked Shocked does that include the engine and gearbox and comp/loom etc. they said nope
so i hung up... ill just do it my self... and again i to am waiting from regency on info... i got sent some stuff that tells me what can be put in a ra2x with out a engeneers cert. damn u aint got much to choose from... max of 2L single over head cam n/a engine, which is what i all ready have... damn it...
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: 1G Engines Fri, 04 April 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I called regency again yesterday.
According to the bulletin they put out for TA22-> RA40 celica's you can put in any N/A 2l single or twin cam, you just need to get a full inspection. So I asked if this applied for 6cyl as well as 4 and they said only 4cyl, 6cyl needs individual case by case application. 18RG's of any variety are fine though.

Call them and get them to send you out the lastest bulletin about it, it is free (+cost of phone call) 1300 882 248. it tells you maximum tread widths, suspension mods and stuff too.
No steering modification is allowed though.
Good luck. if you decide to do the 1g mod (legal or other) I have heaps of info, including wiring diagrams etc just let me know when you are serious.

Andrew
eastie
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1G Engines Fri, 04 April 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ive got the aswell, and i also got 2 sheets to fill out for different engines, u need to fill them out and hand it then u will get it in writing if the engine conversion is allowed, then u have to do the conversion, get it engenered(?) then a full inspection from regency... bug hassles but big gains...
Pecra
Newcomer

May 2003
Re: 1G Engines Fri, 30 May 2003 05:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys i am about to do the 1G conversion into my 1984 celica i dont car if its not legal as it will be a seasonal car im going to do this conversion myself and would like help with it and any info that i could get

cheers in advance

Craig
Kach22
Regular

February 2003
Re: 1G Engines Fri, 30 May 2003 10:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey guys,
Good luck to all with the mods.
It's all gonna help us all in the end posting info about what we have heard and know.
Its gettn harder to get through regency day by day, but with persistence and abiding by the rules, which can be quite expensive, it can be done and will make life so much easier with a Regency plate on the car. Imagine the freedom to drive without stress of cops and defection, bloody unreal! Especially to blow away other cars on the road legally registered! Anyone can get away with a beast and kick ur ass, but to be Regency approved and kick ass is another story.....
Classic Celica Club of S.A. President
Adrian
DRAG'N 4
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1G Engines Fri, 30 May 2003 15:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There is a new place openning next to Exhaust Technology just off Goodwood Rd. I went to ET today and was happy to se a fellow RA28 sitting outside, it looked pretty nice (green with grey racing stripes) and then i walked around the car and then... alloooww what ave we ere... there was a nice big supra intercooler behind the front grille. So I immediately thought... oh yeah... 1GGTE RA28. So I went into the new place next to ET and asked around, turns out the new place do all sorts of engine management stuff including conversions, and as it turned out the mustangback owner works there and does a lot of conversions, and did his own and it aint a 1GGTE. It is a bloody 1JZGTE!!!!!! I obviously gasped, and the guy told me it was a bit of a tight squeeze but the did it. Sooooo, i will be finding out how much they will charge for the full conversion on monday, which should be a bit less than normal, seeing as they know exactly what to do coz they have done it all before. I will let you all know on monday.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 1G Engines Mon, 02 June 2003 05:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey yeh i saw that thing a few weeks ago with my class from TAFE! it was bloody awesome, made me darn near crap myself..
Our trainer old dood thought it was definately a 6, so i was like ooh ive never seen a 1G celica before... But 1J ! thats crazy! i guess it mite be a good match up for a VG30 turbo datto 1600? a mate says someone at his work has a datto like this..
Anyway, yeh that RA28 is crazy, hope i get to talk to him one day or see under the bonnet! much respect.

paint looks good also,
DRAG'N 4
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1G Engines Mon, 02 June 2003 09:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I met the owner today, it's putting out 220RWKW!!!! and he's on his third open centre, he is on the lookout for an LSD centre as he knows now he can bolt one in from a sprinter diff.
So if anyone can help him, go see the beast next to Exhaust Tech just off goodwood rd. They do all kinds of conversions and engine stuff in general. Im also looking for an lsd centre so if you wanna help both of us out Very Happy
PSYCO_7
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: 1G Engines Mon, 02 June 2003 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The easiest way through Regency is to get your car ENGINEERED!!
Or know someone on the inside Very Happy Seems like engineering is the only way then.

I was with Aussie when we went to Exhaust Technology. Still researching rough quotes for you guys.
If you want a particular conversion quoted let myself or DRAG'N 4 know.
We might be able to start getting killer deals from them if we get enought conversions happening Smile
Pecra
Newcomer

May 2003
Re: 1G Engines Tue, 03 June 2003 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey man i want a 1G-GTE conversion done with a 3" exauhst a supra intercooler and a wolf aftermarket computer
DRAG'N 4
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1G Engines Fri, 06 June 2003 17:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey all,
I am looking at doing the 1ggte conversion to my RA28, and i wanna know a few things,
1. Should i use supra/soarer brakes in my brake upgrade, or any other suggestions (how much would it cost to get done)
2. What Suspension upgrades should i do, i was thinking along the lines of: custom tein suspension all-round (been told for around $2000) and some adjustable sway bars?
3. should/could i use my celica diff just with an LSD centre (possibly out of a sprinter)

With the rust fixed soon, im sure my celica would pass through regency, as ALL electrics work (lucky, i know), and i have found a place that will put a 1g in an RA23/28 for only 1200 (frontcut seperate), is this a good price???? (PM me for the name of place)

Also, how much would 12 months reg. cost on a 1g RA28????

Cheers to all,
Aussie
DRAG'N 4
Regular

May 2002
Re: 1G Engines Fri, 06 June 2003 17:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They will also do the 1jz conversion to an RA23/28 for 2000, it'll be a tiiiiiiiiiiiggggghhhhhhht fit though.
NO-18r
Regular

May 2003
Re: 1G Engines Sun, 08 June 2003 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm $1,200 pretty good, considering that rpm quoted somewhere around the $7,000 mark for this, no engine etc. just puting it in...
PSYCO_7
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: 1G Engines Sun, 08 June 2003 10:10 Go to previous message
Aussie, this is to you buddy.

1. Should i use supra/soarer brakes in my brake upgrade, or any other suggestions (how much would it cost to get done)
For an upgrade I would suggest killing two birds with one stone. Put in some EBC green stuff pads for your front brakes, as you will notice a SUBSTANTIAL increase in braking. As for the drums on the rear, don't replace them, replace the whole diff. This will ensure the power is being held and the brakes are already fitted to a decent diff.

2. What Suspension upgrades should i do, i was thinking along the lines of: custom tein suspension all-round (been told for around $2000) and some adjustable sway bars?
Although the Tein suspension is an option, it is a very expensive one, that may not be worth it, when compared to another brand etc. I would definitely recommend the adjustable swaybars, but I would look into probably so King Springs or similar, with some sweet Koni shocks. The other option would be Bilstein, which I am looking at myself. BOWSER runds Bilsteins, but they might be too stiff on the road.
The Pedders stuff is good too. Although suprising, I am almost definitely going to put.......wait for it........Monroe shocks in my car. They are great quality (in almost every new car sold in Australia) and well priced. With some big swaybars (adjustable) and high quality springs (probably Lovell's) I would expect it to handle on rails.
If you want more info chat to me, as I have done 'too much' research into this area.

3. should/could i use my celica diff just with an LSD centre (possibly out of a sprinter)
I would seriously look into another diff (as stated in number 1). Although you may have a stronger centre (which could still break given enough S&%T), you have to look at other parts of the diff. The LSD centre would hold up, but you would start breaking or bending axles with that sort of grunt. Then you are up for billet axles or replacement ones, which adds up quickly. Then you still have stock rear brakes, which you may not feel are satisfactory.
I would recommend you speak to Boss Automotive, about getting a VN SS Commonwhore Borg Warner made to fit your car. They have chunky axles, are 28 spline and will never break with you setup. They commonly hold 550hp without a problem. Then you also get the huge SS rear brakes. All up I would expect a bill of around $1800 (haven't researched for you car. This is the cost for my old RX-7) but you will never have to look at diffs again. It may seem like a lot, but this is what it costs for the peace of mind I know you want.
Another option is a Hilux LSD but you only get big drum brakes, and they aren't as strong (that is what I have been told)

With the rust fixed soon, im sure my celica would pass through regency, as ALL electrics work (lucky, i know), and i have found a place that will put a 1g in an RA23/28 for only 1200 (frontcut seperate), is this a good price???? (PM me for the name of place)
The amount of labour involved means this is a great price. They will look after us buddy. Plus with you working there, you can become closer to them.

Also, how much would 12 months reg. cost on a 1g RA28????
You would be paying 6 cylinder rego, so it should be $510ish last time I checked. I will let you know when I pay my rego on Tuesday.

Can't wait to hear barp pshhhh barp pshhhh as you come up my street Wink

Have a good one buddy.

Ben
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2T Performance
Next Topic:Throttle lag
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 08:49:28 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0061700344085693 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar