Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Sun, 08 June 2003 04:21 Go to next message
currently i have a computer in my room with a 24hr 100Mbs connection. this is a part of the hospital network (where im curently working).

the computer in my room is running XP, and i only have a restricted login (ie no admin privaleges - so cant install stuff, cant change settings etc).

anyway, ive been here 2 weeks now, and have accumuated about 2.1Gb of mp3's. and im here for another 6 weeks....

thing is, HOW do i get these damn things off the hd? there aint no burner, and i dont exactly feel like going to the IT guys asking them to burn them for me off a shared folder Very Happy

ive been looking at getting a 2.5" notebook hdd with a USB adapter, and dumping them all onto this.

question is, will this work seeing as i dont have admin priv's? i understand XP doesnt require driver installation for these things?

alternatively, perhaps i should just rip the box open, pull the hdd out, and go to an IT store and ask them to copy the files across to another 3.5" hdd (cheaper option) ??

is there anyone around dubbo on here that could give me a hand with this?? catch up and talk cars too??

anyway, if anyone has ideas would be appreciated! Very Happy

10Gb of MP3's is too hard to ignore Smile

cheers
ed
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Sun, 08 June 2003 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah just get one of them USB external hdd cases. You can get them real cheap these days so go for it.
http://www.pcrange.com.au/index.php?page=usb
Lucid
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Toymods Club Secretary

May 2002
Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Sun, 08 June 2003 05:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, the external USB drives work a treat.. The one I've got uses a notebook hard drive (2.5") so it's nice and small (only problem is the drives themselves aren't real cheap. The case itself only cost $50, and it supports USB 1 & 2.

I'm pretty certain it will work on XP without admin privs, but unfortunately i've never tried sorry.. Also, it will depend on how locked down you are & what local policies are in place on your PCs there.

OH - and why not ask the IT guys if they'll help you with burning it? We're not all that bad!! Razz Make friends with them & you'll probably find they don't mind doing favours every now and then. They're most likely also open to forms of bribery such as beer & the like. Very Happy
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Sun, 08 June 2003 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going to say
most IT guys would be more than happy to help you offload your mp3s.
just buy a couple of rounds of drinks at the pub
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Sun, 08 June 2003 06:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe... youd think so huh Very Happy

but these IT guys are middle aged cranky blokes. when we first arrived, they gave us a presentation on 'responsibe usage' and made an example of a guy who clocked up 4.2Gb of mp3's...

i dont feel that comfortable asking them to burn my files Razz

i think the USB 2.5" HDD might be the go, any comments on the following:

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;item=3418456478&category=11171
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;item=3418452318&category=11171

hopefully the setup is such that XP recognises the drive...

cheers
ed

Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Sun, 08 June 2003 09:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed definately a usb/firewire drive dude. mine is priceless.

get both usb AND firewire if you can. firewire is HEAPS faster than usb. (that is if you have a computer which will support both)
Joshstix
Forums Junkie

Toymods Vice President

May 2002
Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Sun, 08 June 2003 23:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
There are policies to stop users from adding or using removable media on XP. I'm not saying that admins for a hospital will have enabled all of the available security but it may thwart your efforts.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon2.gif  Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Mon, 09 June 2003 01:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Slightly off topic but still on the topic of external storage. I've come to love my USB compact flash reader and various USB keys. I don't think I could live without them...

Ed, I think your best bet is to rip the HDD out and take it to someone with a burner. That way you're guarunteed that it'll work and it'll be cheaper too.

Will anyone notice the computer being offline for a couple of hours?
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Mon, 09 June 2003 01:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Max -

no, noone will notice if the thing goes down, even for a day or two. thing i though, are there going to be similar issues, re security, that may prevent me from doing anything even with HDD in another computer?

im thinking of getting a 2.5" usb hdd anyway, as i think i could do a lot with one. maybe ill just see how it goes. worst comes to worst, ill ask the IT guys to install the drive for me, tell them im bring some big files up from home or something.

cheers
ed
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Mon, 09 June 2003 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Unless they've encrypted the whole filesystem on the HDD (very unlikely), you won't have a problem when you stick it into another machine.

Hmm... Files from home.... Good thinking!!! Very Happy
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Mon, 09 June 2003 01:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, i guess the question now could be -

does anyone know anyone in DUBBO (or surrounds) that would be up for helping me out with this Rolling Eyes Very Happy

cheers
ed
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Mon, 09 June 2003 02:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if u cant get the gear in dubbo ed, ring me and ill buy and send it over...
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Mon, 09 June 2003 03:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heya rob - thanks

what you think of these:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;item=3418456478&category=11171
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&a mp;item=3418244646&category=11171

seems pretty reasonable?
fingers crossed XP will let me just plug n play without having to get IT to help me install it

ed
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Mon, 09 June 2003 04:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i havent read this thread really so what im saying will probably have been mentioned before

does the USB drive need software to be installed to detect or will XP automatically detect it?

i think you may be better off buying a HDD and plugging it into to a spare IDE cable.

if you just buy a HDD and plug it in you should be able to get away with it no probs, XP may want to install a driver for the HDD but u can ignore the prompt and axs it anyways, if u need to play with the bios to detect it(no doubt these guys have passworded it) so u might have to reset it, so look on the web for the motherboard and it will show u how to reset it or a list of factory set passes.

resetting the bios will no doubt cause a bunch of problems too as u have to set it up again... or u can play dumb say there was a power surge and let the IT guys do it...

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Mon, 09 June 2003 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ugh...

for the IT incompetant (ie: me) that sounds like a bt of drama Smile i would prefer not to have to reset the bios just to get a drive to be aknowledged. it would be sweet if i could just plug a 3.5" IDE HDD in and go, but somehow i suspect it wont be that simple Razz

or would it?

fwiw - apparently XP doesnt require driver installation for the USB HDD to work, it just appears as another drive. hopefully its as simple as that. any ideas rob?

cheers
ed
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Mon, 09 June 2003 19:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my usb hdd i can plug into win2k and xp and never a prob - the thing gets picked up and you get another drive letter. it dont get any easier than that!
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: OT:: IT Tech Q's - External Storage Mon, 09 June 2003 21:49 Go to previous message
u will have to take a chance with the usb drive if u really want those mp3's Shocked Cool
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:2002 Corolla Owners
Next Topic:Car Alarm Problem remote battery replaced
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 23:03:20 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.007335901260376 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.