Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
bunny
Regular

May 2002

icon10.gif  AW 11 MR2 questions Mon, 27 May 2002 08:17 Go to next message
wondering if anyone knew the ansers to these???
do Supra (mk 2) wheels fit on these?
is the supercharged conversion hard to do?
if they are going to rust where is it usualy?
and what are your opinions of these sexy lookin cars?
any info is much apreciated Smile
  Send a private message to this user    
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Mon, 27 May 2002 09:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heehhehe.. Well.. i own a aw11 so i love them. allways have..
umm..
Rust: just below the bottom door hinge, The wheelarches (mainly in other countries because of the salt from the road during snow season. Also Check around windscreen sill.

GZE conversion: Ive just finished doing this one. umm.. People mke it sound really easy, dont get me wrong it is if you use the original gearbox, but i didnt want to have to be worrying about the box evertime i dumped it. Also i wanted the lsd box..umm.. the mounts you have mix n match a little bit. I spent ages on this one.. so if you want i can tell you which ones to use when your doing it. As for the e51 s/c box, u have to redrill a hole to mount it higher. and even then the inner cv just clears the suspension housing. Wiring is very straight forward plug in. Must use the GZE computer tho.
Getting the engine in and out is a pain in the arse.. have to lift the whole car up, i used the rear mount, some chain and my engine hoist.
There is so much to go into .. But its not bad, and i tell you now. I would never be able to go back to the peaky 4age, off the line its see ya later. oh yeh.. get a halfcut if you can. and if you can get lsd GET IT! the lsd is awesome.

feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon6.gif  Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Mon, 27 May 2002 10:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah man, aw-11 4agze. way to go!!! i agree with corvid about the rust, i've found some under my passenger bottom door hinge Sad .i did my own engine swap, it was a bit tricky but well worth it, especially if you do it yourself. i got a half cut from SSS so i got the LSD Grin wicked 4 circle work Rolling . the aw-11 has a 4 x 100mm stud pattern, i'm not sure what the supra has but i think it's a 5 stud. they are a top car for fun, travelling, everything.
bunny
Regular

May 2002

Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Mon, 27 May 2002 11:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hopefully will be getting one this weekend,
its a californian import 1985 model and its red.
ive always wanted one but they cost so damn much
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon14.gif  Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Mon, 27 May 2002 13:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
enjoy!!!!!! have a look at some pics of what i've done to mine if you like. www.members.optusnet.com.au/~feral4.mr2
i thought they were reasonably cheap now? i've seen em advertised for $8000. I paid more for mine, but that was 6 years ago. have fun, experiment with the way it handles if you have never driven a mid mount before. learn how easy it is to be going backwards while facing the front, yehaaa Rolling
you'll have to post a pic when you get it.

bunny
Regular

May 2002

Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Mon, 27 May 2002 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ive got pics of it but im not sure how to post em'
do you still have the spoiler and the boot panel from the half cut?
if you do would u consider selling? Smile
your car is quite the sexy beast how much was the side skirt?
if this one has no rust im going to do what youve done with the 4agze (cash permitting)
ps thanks for your input Smile
personally i know nothing about them except they look finet
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Mon, 27 May 2002 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to post a pic type:

[*img]http://www.puttheulrhere.com[*/img]

just dont include the " * "'s

i'm actually using the boot and spoiler at the moment as moulds.
the side skirts are a factory skirt that came with the car from the land of toyota factory.
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Mon, 27 May 2002 22:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
s/c engine covers can be found at the importers if you are lucky - i got one last weekend for $70 (slightly damaged) but with the hinges!

just note that some models of aw11 did not have the sideskirts and had a different front spoiler - maybe the one bunny is looking at is one of those.

aw11's can be found cheaply if you are prepared to do some work on them - mine was an insurance writeoff, i got it for $900 minus engine and a few parts (it's getting a 3sge conversion)

T
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon6.gif  Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Tue, 28 May 2002 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah, i think i've seen a pic of a older one without side skirts. 3sge cool, i read somewhere that you can get a 2litre stroker kit for the 4age in the states? i would like one of those!!( as long as it would work ina ze) it would save hassels of trying to fit the bigger motor i think? plus the 'man' wouldnt know. Grin
._T_.
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Tue, 28 May 2002 05:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
basically the "poverty pack" aw11 or really poverty aw10 did not have a body kit.

if you have a 4agze fitted, basically you have to change one engine mount to fit a 3sgte in there.......

hate to know what a "proper" stroker 4age kit would cost - o know how much it would cost to build a proper 240hp 1.9l sort of 7age 20valve...... cranks really are no good for turbo or s/c applications though.

T
bunny
Regular

May 2002

Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Tue, 28 May 2002 05:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think it lacks the body kit because a:its an american one andb:its an 85
with air con and cruise control i hardy think its a poverty pack.
so i dont need to change the loom for the AGZE conv?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

icon14.gif  Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Tue, 28 May 2002 05:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it really that easy? wow, maybe i should save for a 3sgte instead of a later model 4agze. what type of problems with the rta would you have putting one of those in?? in qld 3 litre is max engine for a aw-11. Rolling
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Tue, 28 May 2002 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Bunny,

No you dont need to change the loom,

Also, I though you should know that the Pre 87 Aw11 mr2 has a few things different, Which are very important before you purchase.

Front Brakes, - Smaller
Rear Brakes, - Smaller
Suspension, - From what i know the pre 87r's have thinner arms etc.

BUT!, If you purchase a GZE halfcut you can use alot of the stuff from the halfcut for the suspension on your car right?
sorry, I looked into this and wasted like 3 days trying to make it work, Its completly different, The suspension arm housings are mounted in different spots and nothing lines up if you mix n match,.
My honest reccomendation for you is to wait till a -> 87 model comes along then you have all good stuff to build from. otherwise it could cost you some dollars and time to replace a few things to make your car safe with a GZE in it.
But if you really have your heart set on this particular car, F*ck it..! just buy it.. everything is all sourcable.

Hey FERRAL4!, Are you running with the standard 4age swaybar on the back? Cause i am.. Have you seen those things (obviously have) its like a freaking toothpick!! Ive read everywhere tho that if your not exactly right with suspension uprades on these cars they handle worse than standard. I actually tried putting the GZE one in but it mounts differently.. I might have to go to whiteline here in sydney and get em to make me one up..
Ben Wilson
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Tue, 28 May 2002 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently the loom doesn't just plug up on the earlier model cars either..

If you want to know all about fitting a 3S-GTE, check out this thread on the mr2 forum.

http://www.board.mr2faq.com/forumdisplay.php?s=4dd 05b410eec396c2a441b4fda042b15&forumid=118
bunny
Regular

May 2002

Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Tue, 28 May 2002 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
shit and fuck!
that completely sucks penis
ok, the biggest prob is that i cant find a cheap AW11 and i love them, i found this one to buy its 3000 with rego and all and it looks the shit!
i want to buy it cause i dont think i can find one for anything even close to that price. but i do want a minimum of 100kw. the engine in there i think is like 80atm.and it needs a clutch. what do you guys recomend i do?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Tue, 28 May 2002 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
corvid,
dunno whats wrong with your's then. i noticed the ze sway bar was bigger so i just took off the ge one and bolted the ze one straight on. works well. i have read that the standard s/c aw-11 has it's suspension(or weight ratio or something) changed so it is not tail happy. when you put the ze in a n/a aw-11 they are supposed to be tail happy (especially with the lsd) Rolling . well mine is anyway. hehehe mine has lowered suspension and adjustable shocks (only adjustable on rear, got em off a half cut in perth, still saving for front) definately better handling than standard.
Corvid
Regular

May 2002
Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Tue, 28 May 2002 23:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmmm... To be honest i was getting the shits when i was finishing it all.. so it probly will fit..
Are you using all the same GE suspension bits? Apart from the shocks..
I Put Kyb gas units allround in mine and Its a shitload better!. But. if im doing some circle work (i would never do that because its irresponisble and illegal Smile ) I can feel some slight body roll on the rear end.. im thinking its that damn toothpick swaybar im using atm.
Hmmm.. Thinks i might investigate tonite..
But yeh.. Mine is pretty tail happy..
Especially in the wet.. Its like Ice skating when the road is wet Smile..
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Wed, 29 May 2002 00:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
corvid, yeah apart from the shocks,springs and rear sway bar, the suspension is as it came. i'm not sure what brand the rear adjustable shocks are, the front is gabriel, the springs are kings. when i do Rolling work ( i dont do it on public roads though Up To Something ) i dont notice any body roll, only smoke and big grins. could be your factory sway bar?
in the wet is just plain fun, Grin it's amazing what speed your speedo say's when your in 2nd gear driving straight up the road (trying to keep it straight) when foot is planted in the wet. i've had 6 years experience driving this car to the extreme, but sometimes it can still surprise! Embarassed i like tail happy Grin
bunny
Regular

May 2002

Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Sat, 01 June 2002 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got it!
now all i need is a clutch
any ideas guys?
feral4mr2
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Sat, 01 June 2002 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
bunny,
give a RPM dealer a ring. i got a RPM clutch kit # RPM 1088, option 1 bonded and riveted (BR) this is for my s/c, just let them know what application you need it for. i've had this clutch in for nearly three years and i drive it HARD and i have had no probs. how is your ride? post some pics?
Stefan
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Sun, 02 June 2002 07:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Didn't Australia ever get the SC AW11? If so, weird that they offered them elsewhere but not here.
bunny
Regular

May 2002

Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Sun, 02 June 2002 08:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
its nice but its got a few small probs: Happy Sad
right front disc is severly warped,
clear coat is coming off ther paint
trim is missing above windscreen
sunroof is cracked
clutch is completely rooted

my dilema is as weather to replace the engine
when i replace the clutch, cause the engine has done
a few k's and im told the 85's have 86Kw not 100
and i need at least 100kw.
and if i dont replace the engine im going to be spending
like 600 bucks on a clutch for an old engine (190,000)
any of you guys have any advice, or ideas on where to get 85'
model parts? Rolling

sqmax
Newcomer

June 2002
Re: 1.8 & 2.0 stroker kit Sun, 02 June 2002 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1.8 stroker kit about US$1800

2.0 stroker kit about US$2700

info@tedcomponents.com
bunny
Regular

May 2002

Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Sun, 02 June 2002 08:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2 much cash man, i just want a 100kw 1.6 4AGE for the time being cause i cant get comprehensive with the supercharged or bigger engine either, whereas the twin cam motors seem quite cheap.
can you put those 20 valve ones in?
old_mr2
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Thu, 05 June 2003 17:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you sure can!
http://www.supras.nl/view.php?page=modsAW11-4AGE20 valve.htm
kirkosaurus
Newcomer

June 2003
Re: AW 11 MR2 questions Sun, 08 June 2003 04:33 Go to previous message
AWII MR2's RULE!! Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Aftermarket Computers
Next Topic:What were ther non platnum 1JZ-GTE spark plug coads again!!!!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 01:00:08 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0072650909423828 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.