Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
mr supra
Regular

July 2002

Conversion ideas Mon, 09 June 2003 08:07 Go to next message
I have a 7mgte llying around and am a little unsure as to what to do with it.

i've been toying with the idea of sticking it in something older and lighter (mainly lighter) but am at a bit of a loss as to what would make a good project.

I'm not really thinking anything as small as celicas cause I think it would throw the balance of the car out to much. I've thought old falcon maybe or ma60 supra, just need to find some details on the old supras. They were around 1300kg or something weren't they?

Anyway ideas at the moment would be very much appreciated!

Thanks
  Send a private message to this user    
SUPRAGTE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Conversion ideas Mon, 09 June 2003 08:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check out my website, throw it in an MA61. Easiest conversion you'll ever do.
mr supra
Regular

July 2002

Re: Conversion ideas Mon, 09 June 2003 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Paul!

I was hoping you'd reply!

How much does yours weigh now? or how much do they weigh to start with if thats easier
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Conversion ideas Mon, 09 June 2003 08:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Drop it straight into a Corona Mk2 coupe. They weigh 1220 kg. Lightning quick.
mr supra
Regular

July 2002

Re: Conversion ideas Mon, 09 June 2003 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wel I don't think it would fit in to a corrolla..and then theres the balance thing with the supra motor being a big heavy lump!
mr supra
Regular

July 2002

Re: Conversion ideas Mon, 09 June 2003 09:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehe although after reading a bit further you've done it already..is the 2j lighter than the 7m do you know?
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Conversion ideas Mon, 09 June 2003 11:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mk2 supra would be good.. but an old crassida.. the old square shaped ones come over early - mid 80;s i think.. yad have all the luxurys like power windows power steering power mirrors not sure if supra has them plus nobody expects a crassida to shit on you so tid eb a good sleeper Very Happy
celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Conversion ideas Mon, 09 June 2003 11:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mk2 supra would be good.. but an old crassida.. the old square shaped ones come over early - mid 80;s i think.. yad have all the luxurys like power windows power steering power mirrors not sure if supra has them plus nobody expects a crassida to shit on you so tid eb a good sleeper Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Conversion ideas Tue, 10 June 2003 02:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cressida's are big fat luxo-barges with all the creature comforts and obviously they've been set up for comfort, not sporty handling. If this is what you want in a car, that's a great option. However if you want something you can throw around and have a bit of fun in, the Mk2 Supra is the way to go. They have plenty of goodies (power windows/mirrors, central locking, P/S, A/C, factory LSD, the list goes on) but they're lighter and far more nimble than a Cressida.

GiantTomato's suggestion is a good one also; the Corona Mk2 (note: NOT a Corolla!) is probably the lightest body you can easily put a 7M-GTE in. They came with an M series engine from the factory so a 7M will slot in with minimum fuss.
mr supra
Regular

July 2002

Re: Conversion ideas Tue, 10 June 2003 06:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah the mk2 sounds like fun. Looking around on the net a bit...a stock 7mgte gives a power to weight ratio nearly the same as a jza80, sounds like a lot of fun.

I didn't realise that the corona came with an M motor in them so thats cool, but I couldn't find piccies anywhere to get a good look at one, and the ones I did find weren't terribly appealing. But thats just me.

I sorta like the cressida idea but they are going to be just as heavy as what I have, i'd like a sedan or something maybe, I dunno. I was thining about old falcons and stuff today but the interiors would take a bomb to get to what i wanted. Maybe something like a cortina..but the shape overall isn't that nice and I'm not sure how the suspension would cope.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Conversion ideas Tue, 10 June 2003 07:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cortina suspension? You don't want to go there, trust me! Even in their day they were known for their sketchy handling.

Note that the Corona Mk2 is a completely different car to the far more common Corona. GT should be able to provide pics if you're not sure what they look like.
mr supra
Regular

July 2002

Re: Conversion ideas Tue, 10 June 2003 13:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pics please!'

I've been looking at a couple of celica's with ij's in them...they seem to fit ok..and I like the shape of them. How they fit is beyond me..i looked in the engine bay of a celica with a 1gg once and there was about 20mm to the radiator.

the mk2's are ok..great looker form the front but I don't think they have the shape of the older celica's.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Conversion ideas Tue, 10 June 2003 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Since GT is a bit slow, I'll do it for him. Razz

http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/JZX23/R%20backside.jpg
speakafreaka
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Conversion ideas Tue, 10 June 2003 14:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sweeeet
Blaze
Regular

December 2002
Re: Conversion ideas Wed, 11 June 2003 01:09 Go to previous message
I have seen a yellow one of these for sale down the road at a cheap car yard. the first yard you see on the ipswich end.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Engine Upgrade
Next Topic:RA23 NEEDS AN ENGINE TRANSPLANT
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 24 03:30:58 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049080848693848 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.