Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Noosa Hill climb Thu, 12 June 2003 11:50 Go to next message
Just wondering what you need to be able to enter the Noosa Hill climb, my father is interested in entering his Alfa Spider in it.

What CAMS liscence will he need? Any previous experience?
Medical Exam on the site it says
Medical
+ Complete Medical Statement on application form
so what does tha mean?

This is what I think he will need?
Level 2NS licence
+ motorkhana and khanacross events up to International level
+ observed section trials <---- hill climb?
+ touring road events which contain no closed road sections and no non-race speed sub-events
+ touring assemblies and non-timed road events

Also when exactly is it? Couldn't find it on the cams site (thought it was b4 November?)Rolling Eyes
Thanks In advance guys.

Cheers
Wilbo
  Send a private message to this user    
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Noosa Hill climb Thu, 12 June 2003 12:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah i think a hill climb is classed as a "speed event"

so you only need the level 2NS

well i think thats what ive got anyway (2NS) and i know im allowed to compete in hill climbs

and the medical exam, all that it is, goes do u have any medical history/conditions, do u need glasses, do u have epilepsy, when was your last medical, ect ect ect...... that kind of crap.

you dont really need anything other than that, oh yeah he will need to be a member of a CAMS affiliated club if he isnt allready, tell him to find a club in his state that caters for that kind of crap and join it, shouldnt matter what kind of car he has (ive got an rx7, but im a member of the Austin 7 club of SA)
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noosa Hill climb Thu, 12 June 2003 22:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nice!

Thanks heaps for the help Smile

Cheers
Wilbo
ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Noosa Hill climb Fri, 13 June 2003 03:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
lang wrote on Thu, 12 June 2003 22:35

yeah i think a hill climb is classed as a "speed event"

so you only need the level 2NS

well i think thats what ive got anyway (2NS) and i know im allowed to compete in hill climbs

i'm not entirely sure thats right, i think '2NS' stands for 'Level 2 Non-Speed', i have a '2S' that allows me in speed events such as hillclimbs, but i am in victoria so it may be different where you are (but i don't think so).

basic things you need are: fire extingisher, blue triangle (sticker) indicating where your battery is, covering on all forward facing glass (except windscreen) ie. headlights, secondry bonnet fastening, like bonnet pins (if your bonnet opens backwards) and a secondry return spring on your throttle linkage.

to compete in speed events you also need a tailshaft strap, or something to stop the front on the tailshaft digging into the ground if it breaks loose (that is if your car is RWD).

hope this helps
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Noosa Hill climb Fri, 13 June 2003 03:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehendrikd wrote on Fri, 13 June 2003 13:11

i'm not entirely sure thats right, i think '2NS' stands for 'Level 2 Non-Speed', i have a '2S' that allows me in speed events such as hillclimbs, but i am in victoria so it may be different where you are (but i don't think so).

basic things you need are: fire extingisher, blue triangle (sticker) indicating where your battery is, covering on all forward facing glass (except windscreen) ie. headlights, secondry bonnet fastening, like bonnet pins (if your bonnet opens backwards) and a secondry return spring on your throttle linkage.

to compete in speed events you also need a tailshaft strap, or something to stop the front on the tailshaft digging into the ground if it breaks loose (that is if your car is RWD).

hope this helps

oops sorry, yeah thats what i get for not checking 1st, yeah ive got a 2S oh well.

but i didnt need a secondary return spring on my throttle linkage or a tailshaft strap?!?!?!

the cams website says

"Compulsory vehicle and safety requirements include:
+ A secondary bonnet restraining device
+ A fire extinguisher
+ A blue triangle indicating the position of the battery
+ Headlights covered with a transparent adhesive film (i.e. Contact)

These can be applied to road going vehicles with a minimum of difficulty, and usually with no permanent modifications.

Competitors are required to wear:
+ Non-flammable clothing from neck to wrist to ankles
+ Helmet
+ And are recommended to wear motor sport specific gloves and shoes."

i didnt have to wear non flammable clothing either, i just had to wear long sleeves. and you have to make sure the helmet is cams approved (the ones have like a silver sticker on the back comply)

wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noosa Hill climb Fri, 13 June 2003 03:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
LOL a little better looking would have given.. Embarassed

Use a Level 2S to compete in:
+ single and multi-car non-race speed events up to International level
'Non-race speed events' include hillclimbs, autocross, single car and multi-car sprints and regularity trials
+ regularity trials up to National Championship
+ touring road events, including non-race speed sub-events, but not including closed road sections, up to International level

AND

Compulsory vehicle and safety requirements include:
+ A secondary bonnet restraining device
+ A fire extinguisher
+ A blue triangle indicating the position of the battery
+ Headlights covered with a transparent adhesive film (i.e. Contact)

About secondary bonnet restraining devices, does that mean he need bonnet pins on the Alfa becuase I don't think that will be happening! Where do you get the "blue triangle" and contact from?

Thanks again guys

ps this is pretty well what he wants to drive

http://www.italiaspeed.com/news_2002_40_02.jpg

Cheers
Wilbo
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Noosa Hill climb Fri, 13 June 2003 03:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the blue triangle, just cut a triangle out of blue contact from like your local office supplies store and stick it on the body near where the battery is, you should be able to buy clear contact from there aswell for the lights (you know the kind you cover books with)

as for the bonnet restraining device, you dont NEED bonnet pins, all i used was a bit of steel rope (think it was 2mm) and two eyelets from the local hardware store, bolted the eyelets in, so u have a piece of steel rope with like a loop in each end, then use a caribena (spelling?) like one of those rock climbing things to attach the two, should cost you about $15 to make. i think i bought 1.5m of steel rope

then all you do is loop it through part of the bonnet, and part of the car. (there should be enough gaps in the bonnet to loop it arond something)

[Updated on: Fri, 13 June 2003 04:00]

ehendrikd
Forums Junkie

April 2003

Re: Noosa Hill climb Fri, 13 June 2003 06:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep all the bonnet needs is something else to hold it down, i've seen lots of guys just using a leather strap that looped through something in the bonnet and held it down.

as for the tailshaft strap, i thought that was in the cams manual, it may just be for the class i'm in, but my local club scruitineer said that i'll definatley need it if i want to do any speed events.

it was easy to do, just knocked a $3 piece of steel, bent to the right shape, drilled holes in it and the transmission tunnel, sprayed paint on and whacked it on! athough i can see you dad maybe not wanting to do this to his nice alfa Smile

best thing i did was to get the car scruitineered for the cams logbook before i did any racing. the scrutineer told me at the same time what else it needed before i could go racing.

best thing you can do: go down to your local club and ask around. if the're as friendly as the guys at my local club, they'll tell anything you need to know.

ev
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Noosa Hill climb Fri, 13 June 2003 07:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tail shaft loop Rolling Eyes , what tail shaft loop! Very Happy
Its FWD so no problems there! Very Happy

Thanks for knowledge guys, you seem to know what your on about!
BTW why were talking about racing whats the best place to start out do you think?..I'm keen on starting on motorkhana's or something where it is more skill based than car quality based? What do you guys think?

Cheers
Wilbo
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Noosa Hill climb Fri, 13 June 2003 07:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i started out (recently) in regularity trials, its like an event where you try and keep your lap time as consistant as possible.

you dont need to have that great a car either, (good brake pads are important)

last time i went out there was a porsche 944T, a series 4 rx7 convertible, my series 4 infini (yes i drive a rotary, toyotas are good too Smile ) a stockish VT commodore (auto, an old ford cortina and a toytoa echo (the echo won for all you toyota fans)

its about being consistent but you can just go as fast as you like Surprised

and im in adelaide so i did it at mallala

your best bet is to JOIN a cams affiliated club, they will sort you out!
Cal_AE86
Regular

February 2003
Re: Noosa Hill climb Wed, 18 June 2003 01:53 Go to previous message
I did the Noosa hillclimb last Saturday afternoon, as part of the Coastal Challenge Rally. We had a run before the ARC cars went up the hill. What an awesome hillclimb. The only other I had done is Mt Cotton. Oh, and I drove up Pikes Peak once, in a station wagon. Surprised

Cal.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Forum Announcement/New Server
Next Topic:10 million dollar insurance policy to use skidpan
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 23:15:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0055160522460938 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.