Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002

3tgte engines Mon, 17 June 2002 06:28 Go to next message

What cars did the 3TGTE engines and it's variants come out in?

I am asking because I have to find a flywheel for my 1ggte and I've been told that it's the same. Is it??

Then what pressure plate do you reccommend??

Tim
  Send a private message to this user    
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Mon, 17 June 2002 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm not too sure about the flywheel, but it seems logical since they have the same bellhousing bolt pattern, just the slave cylinder is on the other side.
disco stu
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Tue, 18 June 2002 09:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message

so what cars are they in?

Will i be able to find one at a normal wrecker or will I need an import wrecker??

I'm am having trouble finding a flywheel for my !ggte, I may have to use my 18-R flywheel!!

Tim
celica_freak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Tue, 18 June 2002 11:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
dont know if the flywheels are the same or not but if they are the 3t fly wheel fits the crank for a t50 box but for the w58 57 59 56 boxes the fly wheel is different as the clutch is bigger
the bolt patern therefor is futher apart but u may be able to have the 3t flywheel re drilled to suit when it is balanced.
might pay to look in to it ,didnt u get one with the motor even if it is broken u may be able to use it to check the crank bolt pattern size and clutch size
if it was auto then the flex plate will still have the crank bolt patern take it to a wrecker and check it with the fly wheel of a 3t motor out of a t18
as for pressure plate i dont know as i have the original from jap and it slips so i myself have to bye one. it slips once boost comes on to about 3 psi at 3500 revs in 4th gear not good
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Tue, 18 June 2002 13:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
how does a flywheel have any reference to a gearbox? to the crankshaft yes, but its not physically attached to the gearbox in any way?!?!?

AND 3TGTE's came out with W55 supra boxes, and a 9" clutch.
JIMMYD
Occasional Poster

May 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Tue, 18 June 2002 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Diameter and hieght of flywheel versus belhousing internal diameter and profile.
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Wed, 19 June 2002 02:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 3T-GTE engine came in the TA64 Celica, TA6# Carina, and TT142 Corona 2-door. All in Japan only.
AE25
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Thu, 27 June 2002 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jdm ta63 celica and carina
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Thu, 27 June 2002 12:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The flywheel is the same wether you have T50 or W55!!! I used to have a T50 behind my 3TGTEU and when i put the W55 behind it i only had to change the clutch plate (a 2T flywheel works as well just has to be machined to accept the larger clutch plate).
I had my clutch machined to accept a 10in clutch plate but that was when it had the T50 in it. As long as the flywheel bolts to the crank and the bellhousing bolts to the block then it will work.
Both bellhousings have to be the same diameter if they both bolt to the engine!! As are the flywheels,its just the friction surface is larger to allow it to accepty a 9.5 or 10in clutch. The bolts are in the same spot and the diamter of the flywheel is the same. Just the surface which the clutch plate touches is larger.
Also the 3TGTEU engines came out with W55 behind them and due to T series to W series bellhousings being hard to get people just bolt a T50 to them. The input shafts of the 2 boxes are different so clutch plates differ,however the pressure plate bolt pattern is the same.

Jamie.
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Fri, 28 June 2002 06:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
soo. Regarding the clutch setup.

Changing from a T50 to W55 with a T->W bellhousing would require the change of clutch cos of the different splines too?

Karl
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Fri, 28 June 2002 10:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No Message Body
AE25
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Sat, 29 June 2002 06:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey
something has occured to me
if u need to change the clutch plate to suit the different size flywheel friction surface, wouldn't the pressure plate also have the different sizes requiring it to be changed also?
celicamad85
Forums Junkie

Banned member

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Sat, 29 June 2002 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the pressure plate is part of the clutch Freak
celica_freak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Sat, 29 June 2002 11:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this question of size is what i was talking about earlier,when i tried to use the 2t pressure plate using the w57 box the clutch plate would not fit inside the pressure plate therefore the w series fly wheel has a biger pcd (pitch circle diamiter) for the pressure plate bolt patter. but as i suggested earlier i cant see why the fly wheel couldnt be redrilled to suit this pressure plate hope this sorts out your problems
AE25
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Sat, 29 June 2002 22:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok so the bolt pattern for both pressure plates are the same BUT the larger w55 clutch plate does not physically fit inside the t50 pressure plate. also the friction surface would be smaller in the t50 p/p. also u can't use the w57 pressure plate on a t50 flywheel coz of the smaller friction surface on the t50 flywheel. but it IS? possible to machine the t50 flywheel larger to suit the w55 clutch plate and pressure plate.

sounds like u just use the complete clutch assembly to suit the gearbox, but the 2t/t50 flywheel will need machining to fit the larger 'W' series clutch plate.
does this sound correct?
daytona
Regular

June 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Tue, 02 July 2002 14:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can use the T50 box with original 3T-GTEU pressure plate and flywheel combo, but you need the clutch disc from a 69 crown.
I got pictures of one somewhere on my site. Its nearly the same diameter as the original 3T-GTE clutch disc, but it fits onto the smaller diameter spline of the T50. If you go to a clutch place, and show them what you want, you will get a disc for around 60$.

I also replaced my pressure plate at one time with one from a wrecker with 'hilux' written on it, not sure what engine, or year it wa from. but it fit perfectly, and never slipped with around 190hp going through it. mind you this was with a w58 box.
the t50 shat itself from fast 1st to 2nd changes. and whined in every gear like in reverse... Wink

laid'er
celica_freak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Tue, 02 July 2002 14:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know about the hilux gear although i dont doute it,as it is heaver designed equipment ie 4wd bush,beach
as for this being correct about the sizes this is what i was trying to get across YES you are right
AE25
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Wed, 03 July 2002 10:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey cool
so us power hungry oldskoolers who need a better clutch can use factory parts to get it.

eg 2tgeu
to get bigger clutch, use 3tgte flywheel, pressure plate with 69(?) crown clutch plate and t50 and there u have it

nice!
daytona
Regular

June 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Thu, 04 July 2002 04:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep,
It's the cheepest way for more clutch grip without spending $$$ on centerforce etc clutches. There is also apparantly another presure plate, designed for some old holden, that bolts onto the 3T-TGEU flywheel, not sure which one, but if you take a flywheel to a clutch plate, they will find it... but for stock 2T-GEU the combo I had will be ok, coz the clutch never slipped on my 3T-GTEU running 15psi boost on a 60 trim T3, which made a bit more torque than a n/a 2T-GEU can produce.
I stuck with Toyota parts as much as I could, as I had easy and cheap access to them...

Laid'er
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Thu, 04 July 2002 11:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A bit late in on this one guys but just to clarify something.

The any T series engine Flywheel will fit and other T series crank/engine. ie Crank bolt spacing is the same.

The 2T flywheels accept an 8" clutch as Standard but can be machined to take an 8.5" clutch.

The 3TGTEU flywheel accepts a 9" or 9 1/4" clutch as Standard.

The bolt Pattern for the Pressure plates is Different. A 3TGTEU pressure plate WILL NOT fit a 2T series Flywheel. The Flywheel is simply to small in Diametre.

Input splines differ between the T50 and W55/57/58. Hence the Clutch disc itself needs to suit the gearbox being used.

Hope that helped.
AE25
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Thu, 04 July 2002 11:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
we got to have a diesel pourer Nod

ok so who's done the mods and whos read it on a website or is repeating hearsay?

getting a bit controversial here

me thinks i'd better see for myself since i got all the bits in the shed Razz
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Thu, 04 July 2002 12:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
AE25,

MRTA22 Has a 3TGTEU in his TA22,

CelicaFreak has a 2TG in his but if I remember rightly has a 3TGTEU with W55 ready to go in or a W55 ready to go behind the 2TG. (something like that)

I have a shed full of bits I'm playing with and in amoungst it is all of the bits in discussion Smile
3TGTEU clutch and Flywheel
2TG clutch and Flywheel
3TGTEU bellhousing
1GGTE bellhousing.

We are all argreeing with each other it just read a little confussion to me. Smile

I think we all agreed ????

Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
flywheel weights Thu, 04 July 2002 13:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay, MR "I got heaps of spare parts".

Flywheel weights.

Standard 2TGEU: 8kg
Lightened 2TGEU: 6kg (my mates one)
Standard 3TGTEU: 15lbs or 6.8kg

Care to clarify any of these?
I understand that some of my weights could be out.

Ideally the ones to use would be the 3TGTEU flywheel due to bigger diameter for clutch.

Karl
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Thu, 04 July 2002 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Rod:

Do you wish to sell that 3TGTEU bellhousing? I have a 3TG that is in desperate need of a stronger box ie: W55/58. The T50 just wont cut it.

Cheers

Phil
celica_freak
Regular

May 2002

Re: flywheel weights Thu, 04 July 2002 13:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rod the 3tgte is in with the w seires bow and has been runing since easter thie year still a few bugs but im getting there
i knew that the flywheel were different as i had to change them my self for the w box as originally the 3tgte come with a t50 on it.
this 3tgte seems a little quicker then the 2tg so once i get all the bugs out ill hit the creek again this time better then 18 sec i hope
i guess u dont wont the rocker cover
if u come across a spare 14" x7"hotwire or 2 im interest for use at the creek
Teenz
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Thu, 04 July 2002 13:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Karl,

I weighed the ones I have here a little while back with bathroom Scales so take em as rough.

2T - 12kg
2TGEU - 8kg
2TGEU (Lightened) - 7kg
3TGEU - 7kg
Custom billet steel - 6kg (8 1/2" only.)
I also know of a 9" Billet custom one at 4kg !! Smile

Phil,

Sorry mate both the bellhousing have a car awaiting them. The 3TGTEU one is going in my car and has been modified now anyway Smile

Celica_freak.

Mate sorry I have not gotten back to you, work is mayhem this time of year. Any chance of you getting down for the Dyno day this weekend. I have some 14 x 7" here you could have for what I paid for em ($150) they have the Mitsubishi/Datsun centres tho so are a bit larger in the hub centre so may not be what you were after. As for the cover I wouldn't mind it actually so if your interested in the wheels we can sort something out. Smile

Bugger Just realised Teenz is still logged in this is me Rod Smile lol

daytona
Regular

June 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Thu, 04 July 2002 14:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I think everyone agrees, no missleading info above, it's just that everyone has their own way of explaining Wink

The info I gave is first hand, what I have done, and then put onto my website.
Another thing that you may want to know is that the W5x series boxes have a different output shaft (larger diam.) so the tailshaft will need to be modified or changed.

I used a one piece one off a rt104 corona I think, and had it shortned one inch, to fit in a TE72 with 3T-GTEU/W58.

Rob.
celica_freak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Sat, 06 July 2002 05:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
why shorten a drive shaft couldnt u just change the yoke at the uni joints this is all i done for the 3tgte w series into a ta22 fits just like a bought one as the t50 and w series boxes are the same lenght just different shifter places the mounts for the cross member are about 50mm further back on the w box so a new cross member may have to be made if u cant move it back on the body holes the mounts for the 3tgte & 2tg are in the same spot so theres no reason for the shaft to be any different just the spline is a different size so just change the yoke if the uni sizes are the same .
i know that the t50 uses the same size unis hope this helps
daytona
Regular

June 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Sat, 06 July 2002 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think that the 3T-C with T50 was shorter than the 3T-GTEU with W55. I did the swap more than 4 years ago, I can't remember, but if it would only require a yoke swap, then thats what I would of done.

I know my mate put in the same setup in to a late TA22, and just swapped the yoke, but it was too long, and it hit the gearbox on suspension travel, or movement while under acceleration, cant remember now... but he had some prob, so he ended up shortening his too.

I remeber the yoke I got with the TA63 front cut had a different way it was hooked up to the rest of the tailshaft, so that couldnt be used.

Laid'er
Rob
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
icon4.gif  Re: 3tgte engines Sat, 06 July 2002 22:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
W55 is slighter longer than a T50, just went and measured it in the shed, W55 was a bit tricky as it is in the car. There was only a cm or 2 in it so swapping the uni joint will work, but as stated earlier when you get suspension movement it will damage the gearbox. Daytona, just to refresh your memory (I have a donor TA63 as well) there is no uni joint on the TA63 as it has a two piece driveshaft, so you had a very good reason not to use it.
Safest way to go is probably get the motor/box in, ring a driveshaft place and ask what measurements they need to make you one. Not the cheapest option (not much dearer than getting your old shaft shortened, balanced, new uni joints etc), but why run all that extra power through a second hand part. If I recall correctly from previous posts on this forum you need a uni joint from a 69 corona RT104 (?), I think because it is one of the few cars that ran a W** box and a single piece driveshaft. can anyone confirm this for me?

Hope this helps

Purple Beasty
TURBO CALDINA
Occasional Poster

July 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Sun, 07 July 2002 08:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I di the conversion in a TA22 with a w55 box and used a 2t auto saft and yoke with out a problem
MRTA22
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Sun, 07 July 2002 09:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes thats the way. The TA22 auto tailshaft has the same output as the W series transmission. Also the TA22 auto crossmember bolts onto the W series transmission. You have to modify it slightly to line up with the holes on the body. My car used to be auto so i had all the parts needed. Very easy conversion.

Jamie.
daytona
Regular

June 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Sun, 07 July 2002 13:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remeber that my mate moved his engine back a bit in his TA22, because it didnt want to sit on the stock mounts, they were too close together. It seemed to me as though the 3T-GTE he got had longer engine mounts. So thats why he had to shorten his tailshaft.
I got rid of the two piece shaft in the T18 and got the auto Corona one piece, and shortend it.. as I wrote above..

Laid'er
Rob
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
flywheel weights Sun, 07 July 2002 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
okay, thanks for your info, it confirms my own findings.
Weighed stock 2TGEU: 8kg.

Had mine lightened for $30, 1 hour labour.
Weight is 6 or 6.5KG. Makes a hugggggggggge difference to the engine. Easy to heal-toe and use throttle to break out the rear at the drift session at a local race track.
AE25
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: flywheel weights Mon, 08 July 2002 08:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cripes karl $30? where'd you go? could do it myself but for $30 id get that person to do mine too Rolling

probly got confused when 'MRTA22' quotes:
"Both bellhousings have to be the same diameter if they both bolt to the engine!! As are the flywheels,its just the friction surface is larger to allow it to accepty a 9.5 or 10in clutch. The bolts are in the same spot and the diamter of the flywheel is the same. Just the surface which the clutch plate touches is larger."

oh well. all sorted.

wander if the shaft length is the same between ta22 and te71?

its about $80-$100nz to get a shaft shortened. theres an rt104 at my local wrecker. probly $30 worth.
ta22 auto shaft would be a hard one to find nz!!
interesting that 3tgte flywheel is lighter than 2tgeu
2t=12kg flywheel -blimey dats heavy
Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Mon, 08 July 2002 11:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah bro, hence why I had it done. Apparently the guy used to race the T series engines, and had a jig setup so that it would take off weight evenly. Otherwise I would have passed.
However, I could get the contact address easy, so if anyone is keen to pay for shipping to that address, labour, shipping back......... I'll let you know contact details.

Yes, funny how 3TGTEU is lighter then 2TGEU.
celica_freak
Regular

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Mon, 08 July 2002 12:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well im not sure if the tailshaft is aout or not but the car was originally so possible someone has just changed the yoke to the t50 but i have no problems with bump hit or travel
it works for me
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Tue, 09 July 2002 04:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Guys,

Not to be a downer but be careful when lightening a stock flywheel for any vehicle. Take off to much metal in the wrong locations and they breakup at high rpm. Its not a nice look when it happens I have seen pictures. Sad

Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Tue, 09 July 2002 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep, I asked the guy to ere on the safe side.
He has raced T motors for years, and has apparently taken much more off them and still been alright.

Karl
AE25
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Tue, 09 July 2002 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
karl is that guy in aucks?

keith had his done by a guy who used to race (palmy), cost him something like $200!! he hasn't used it yet tho.

while on the subject of flywheels, anyone know the wieghts and/or clutch friction surface sizes for 2t, 3t, 3t-c, 3t-eu etc?
TE72_Turbo
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Tue, 09 July 2002 09:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree with Rod.....be afraid, be very afraid! Its not the fact that an exploding flywheel turns your bellhousing to melted cheese, its the chopping off of your toes/feet as it cuts through the firewall thats the problem!

You can safely have a professional take some meat off your flywheel to lighten it, but the condition of it before you machine it is important. It only takes a tiny hairline crack to turn your flywheel into multiple artillery once you reduce its strength by lightening it.

Phil

[Updated on: Tue, 09 July 2002 09:28]

Karl_skewes
Regular

May 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Tue, 09 July 2002 09:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
same guy that did Keiths, in palmerston north.
Charged just labour at $25 per hour. I didn't have fiver so gave him $30.

Keith bought the flywheel off the guy, so that makes up some of the extra price...... still, gave it to me heaps cheaper. I did buy $20 of stuff off him, and talk to him a bit about stuff in detail, and hit him up on a few things I didn't agree with. Maybe he doesn't like asians. Guys a bit of a prick.

Um, regarding clutch sizes scroll up to Rods post.... 2T = 8", machined to 8.5" possible. 3TGTEU has 9 or 9.25" standard, (someone said possible to machine to 9.5 or 10"!!!).
Doesn't say what size 2TGEU is. I don't ahve one at my place atm to measure.
AE25
Occasional Poster

June 2002
Re: 3tgte engines Tue, 09 July 2002 09:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep saw them
just wandering about the lesser models mentioned. 3t-c etc
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3tgte engines Wed, 10 July 2002 02:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
2TG flywheels are the same size as the 2T ones. Just alot lighter.

For those who are curious My Bilet Steel flywheel is made from the highest grade Billet available and cost me $550. It has also been drilled to take a different bolt pattern for the pressure plates to offer me a larger range of pressure plate options.

I know I could get one alot cheaper but my legs are worth more than the money I'd save. Smile

In the Pornsatr we run a lightened Flywheel but at 7kg its the lightest my Mechanic feel comfortable going and he also raced them for many years.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon10.gif  Re: 3tgte engines Mon, 16 June 2003 07:30 Go to previous message
So did anyone ever get around to Weighing a 1GGTE Flywheel ??
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Air CON problems
Next Topic:Loosening Diff Bolt
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun May 19 19:38:41 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0083189010620117 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.