Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon5.gif  Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 10:24 Go to next message
Ok, Mani wont ask the question, and I'm curious too. I did have a search for it, but couldn't find anything substantial.

What would having more cylinders for a given capacity mean? I'm assuming that because the cylinders themselves would be smaller than the characteristics would be that of a revvier engine.

Going on some of the characteristics I've heard about an SR20DET versus an RB20DET, to me it would appear that the RB20 is the smoother revver, but lacks outright torque of the SR20.

How would more pistons affect the characteristics of the engine power/torque delivery?

Note: - I understand the relationship of the bore/stroke ratio roughly, so lets try to keep to the above.

Thanks,
Nathan

[Updated on: Sun, 15 June 2003 10:33]

Send a private message to this user    
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think the revvyness of an engine has alot to do with the bore and stroke configuration of the engine,

i think square and oversquare engines tend to rev higher
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 10:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes, this I realise, but I'd like to just narrow down the characteristics of the engine through the capacity to cylinders ratio.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 10:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well for example...look how rough but also how torquey a vp/vr commodore motor runs at. For a 6 cyl...3800cc is pretty damn big...look at the 2000 for the nissan - 1/2 the size!...so the bore x stroke is pretty big on the commodore motor. thats my theory as to why the small engines with large # of cylinders rev so cleanly.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 June 2003 10:35]

manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 11:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey mate.....thanx for asking the question for me

Bansheebuzz gave me this response...

"same capacity with more cylinders means

smaller, lighter pistons.
shorter stroke
more drag - due to more pistons and longer crank increased number of bearing etc.

This usually results in higher rpm limits and hp due to the lighter individual internals, smoother running and continual power strokes from each cylinder.

An engine with less cylinders tends to be more torqier but less hp "
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"An engine with less cylinders tends to be more torqier but less hp "

thats a very general statement. Look at the main large engine orientated manufacturers - holden/chev/ford ...take their v8's..its the opposite of the spectrum...theres big capacity and large # of cylinders and they have big hp and loads of torque...when referring to torque vs size ratio i think the golden rule only applies to the same amount of cylinder engines. its more the capacity vs cylinders ratio rule when you can make statements like the above.

But lets not argue about v8s please.

[Updated on: Sun, 15 June 2003 11:29]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 11:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's about it - stroke length. The RB20 has a stroke of about 69.something, whereas the SR20 is 86x86 (same as 3S, 2JZ!). Guess which one is the nice revver! Likewise, RB26 and 1JZ, vs 2JZ and RB30 - big difference, and it's exactly as the stroke length suggests! That said, an inline six is also always nicer than an inline four - less nasty harmonics. Oh yeah, and the RB20 valvetrain takes the revs much better than the SR20!
BansheeBuzz
Regular

January 2003
Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
V8_MA61 wrote on Sun, 15 June 2003 21:26

"An engine with less cylinders tends to be more torqier but less hp "

thats a very general statement. Look at the main large engine orientated manufacturers - holden/chev/ford ...take their v8's..its the opposite of the spectrum...theres big capacity and large # of cylinders and they have big hp and loads of torque...when referring to torque vs size ratio i think the golden rule only applies to the same amount of cylinder engines. its more the capacity vs cylinders ratio rule when you can make statements like the above.

But lets not argue about v8s please.

i am aware if this but the original question was regarding same capacity with different number of cylinders. Which makes my statement true

ie 6cly 2litre vs 4cly 2litre

of coarse a larger capacity engine should produce more hp and torque. As they say you can't beat cubic inches
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
apologies...just got that impression from what mani said above...wasnt told the full story Smile
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 11:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Obviously, for a given capacity, more cylinders means smaller bore and, most importantly, stroke. Falcon six vs 1uz? RB26 vs Rodeo 2.6?? And lets not mention F1 engines, 3 litre V10 with 2.5ish bore/stroke ratio!
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mani,
No problem dude, I was curious too Very Happy

Ok, so basically it comes down to the engine having a shorter stroke in most cases as the number of cylinders increases. The shorter stroke promotes less low-down torque, but allows the engine to thrive on revs.

Does this seem right? The other thing I'm getting from this, is that perhaps some of the extra power lost by the extra capacity is made up by the fact that the engine will rev harder to make the power? ie. 1UZFE vs 308 Holden etc.
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats right man Smile Key is The 1uz has a lot more detail under those those tappets than the 308 tho Smile
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
And most other generic V8's, but I think we've all been there one too many times Smile
V8_MA61
Forums Junkie

June 2003

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Sun, 15 June 2003 11:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yes! stop now please!
fingers
Regular

April 2003
Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Tue, 17 June 2003 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I would have thought that having six cylinders compared to four for a given size would make it smoother as you have two extra pistons firing.

Is that a valid comment?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Wed, 18 June 2003 04:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thing is, give a 2.0L six and a 2.0L four, there's nothing stopping the six from having the same stroke as the four.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon10.gif  Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Wed, 18 June 2003 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mmm Ok you have my interest now Smile

Just to throw in a few Toyota examples for the discussion.

3SGE verses 1G-GE ?? Both 2 liter's ones a 6 ones a 4 ! Both are Multivalve overhead cam twin cams. PLz comment.

( i don't know there stroke ? )

(lets not compare pushrods and mulitivalves and stuff keep em on a level playing feild. )

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Wed, 18 June 2003 04:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3S 86 x 86 rod length 138mm
1G 75 x 75 rod length ?

[Updated on: Wed, 18 June 2003 04:37]

justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Wed, 18 June 2003 04:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
This would be generalising, but wouldn't the bottom-end of the 1G be more eager to rev given the shorter stroke (lets disregard valve setup)?
Purple_Beasty
Regular

May 2002
Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Wed, 18 June 2003 05:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think it is quite a tricky area to compare motors like this. Usually if a manufacturer is designing a small capacity engine with multiple cylinders (e.g. 6 vs 4) they are looking for a revy motor so will give it short stroke rather than a smaller bore.
You really need to look at it on a cylinder by cylinder basis. What is the ratio between bore and stroke. Compare a 302 Chev to a 350. the shorter stroke (3in to 3.48?in stroke) allows the engine to rev higher but make less torque. Same goes for 3k versus 4k, 3k is much revier.
Best way to compare is to look at same capacity engines with different bore/stroke ratios and see how they compare with the same number of pistons.
The 3S-GE / 1G-GE is an interesting comparison but will be distorted by what the manufacturer wanted from the engine.
Hp is also only a measure of torque vs revs so is probably best to talk about where in the rev range the torque is made. The same (or even a little less) torque made 2000 rpm higher will give you a higher hp reading.
Just my ramblings.

Callum
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Wed, 18 June 2003 05:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think the goals for the 1G was that it had to be an inline six, and it had to fall into the 2l bracket for Japans weird road tax laws.

Aside from that, I reckon the 3SGE and 1GGE is a great comparison, the power generated by them was very similar. Near the end of its lifespan in 1992 (?) the 1GGE made 160hp. This was a pretty good comparison between that of the 3SGE which made between 156hp and 175hp depending on spec, around the same time too.
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Wed, 18 June 2003 05:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fingers wrote on Wed, 18 June 2003 09:14

I would have thought that having six cylinders compared to four for a given size would make it smoother as you have two extra pistons firing.

Is that a valid comment?

definitely, and is what everyone is forgetting.
the power output of a motor is not constant, but is a pulsing curve with one pulse for each piston firing.

take an extreme example.
a 3L 4 cyl, compared to a 3L V10

the 4cyl will have two power pulses per revolution, and the V10 will have 5 pulses. so the V10 will have much smoother power delivery, and i think that the average torque (area under the curve of torque vs time) will be higher for the V10.

an analogy is single phase vs 3 phase electricity. liek comparing single cylinder vs 3 cylinder. (unfortunately it's like comparing different size engines tho)

if you look at a graph of the three suprimposed voltage curves for 3 phase, the average voltage is higher.. 415V vs 240V, and you have 3 times the amperage available...

i'm sure an elec engineer will be able to do the math as i'm a bit rusty, but i think that for a 3 phase circuit with same amperage going thru it, it will have higher power than a single phase with same amperage.

yes the mechanical losses will be higher, but not by much..

a direct example from the bike world for 1L motors(assuming similar development) a YZF-R1 (4cyl) has about 105Nm, where a VTR-SP1 has about 100Nm, so 5% less for same capacity. they have vry diferent torque curves too, with the R1 having torque higher in the rev range, and the SP1 having a wider and flatter, but lower rpm, torque curve.....

Cya, Stewart

1ndecent
Regular

January 2003
Re: Capacity vs Cylinders Wed, 18 June 2003 05:51 Go to previous message
Having more cylinders decreases the distance the flame front has to travel to combust all of the contents of the cylinder. This is beneficial for high rev operation, because less time is taken to develop pressure after firing. It also reduces the likelyhood of detonation.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:fuel tanks
Next Topic:Fuel problem
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 07:29:00 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.17185711860657 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.