Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GTMR2
Occasional Poster

May 2002

fans in engine lid mod Fri, 17 May 2002 08:38 Go to next message
Hi all

I have an SW20 turbo MR2. Has anyone done the modification where you can install 2 x 10" Spal push style fans under the engine lid?

If so what brand of fan did you use and did extra water from rain entering the engine bay cause any damage to motor/electricals?

The reason I am asking is that the internal lining under the engine lid has to be removed and I I do not want to have any side effects.

regards,

Richard
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: fans in engine lid mod Fri, 17 May 2002 08:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If i was to do this modification, i would grab some davies craig items and fit them so that they are sucking hot air out of the engine bay.
GTMR2
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: fans in engine lid mod Fri, 17 May 2002 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi

I actually wanted to do that. So I called Davies Craig, their head office and spoke to someone and they stated that their fans could NOT be mounted in that position as the motors would not be able to drain rain water efficiently when washing the vehicle or driving in the rain.

They claimed their fans are only to be mounted as if standard upways (like on a normal radiator or intercooler). They said that the fan motor will only last around 6 months wear in this position.

regards,

Richard
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: fans in engine lid mod Fri, 17 May 2002 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant say that i agree with that! I'll look into it a bit futher but if you were to mount them so that they suck the air out of the enging bay, The motors should have they're back end facing up! Now if the fans were designed correctly, there should be no way that water could enter the motor. But if i get time i'll look into some more.
GTMR2
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: fans in engine lid mod Fri, 17 May 2002 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hi Cool1

I am only repeating what I was told by the company! My intention was to run Davies Craig fans till I found this out.

They stated that their fans will not be able to drain the water efficiently away from the motor if they were facing the direction I required.

regards,

Richard
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: fans in engine lid mod Fri, 17 May 2002 10:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, I was disagreeing with what they said. I could understand about the water not draining if they were mounted so that they were sucking air in.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: fans in engine lid mod Fri, 17 May 2002 12:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The problem is the first bearing on the fan shaft to the prop is not sealed.
If you could face the motor towards the outside, with the prop in towards the engine, it should be ok.
MaNGeW
Forums Junkie

Formerly TRD_RoLLa

May 2002
Re: fans in engine lid mod Fri, 17 May 2002 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I remember watching 'Serious Performance Video no.2' which featured a BD4's owned/built black MR2 "ONEOFF" which had a highly modified 3sgte. Had 2 thermo fans just like you describe for heat extraction. Give BD4's a ring they might be able to relieve your concerns. Nod
GTMR2
Occasional Poster

May 2002

Re: fans in engine lid mod Sat, 18 May 2002 00:52 Go to previous message
Hi

I called BD4's. They are charging $800 inc GST for the full and complete setup! I have nothing wrong with BD4's but when I give them $800 which will be soon! I want more than 2 fans!

regards,

Richard
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:loom
Next Topic:AE82 twin cam front hubs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 3 19:34:54 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0039188861846924 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.