Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Legality of engine conversions?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
icon5.gif  Legality of engine conversions? Mon, 07 April 2003 12:57 Go to next message
Hello,

What does the law have to say when changing the standard 1G-GTEU twin turbo engine, which is a 2 litre, to a 1JZ-GTE twin turbo, which is a 2.5L. If the car was defected how would I go about getting it re-registered? Or is this conversion legal? For a GZ20 Soarer.

Thanks.
  Send a private message to this user    
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Legality of engine conversions? Tue, 08 April 2003 01:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Did toyota ever bring out a ZZ20 soarer? if so then I presume it would be completely legal. otherwise just chuck it in anyway, as long as it all looks stock the chances of a cop knowing toyotas well enough to know that its not factory is close to non-existant.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Legality of engine conversions? Tue, 08 April 2003 02:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
They didnt bring out the GZ20 with the 1JZ-GTE in it but they did bring out the later model Soarers 1991-1995 with the 1JZ-GTE in it. Does that mean its legal?

Im guessing the police would think that an after market airfilter and bov is illegal then? This Would be a headache if it went through regency, engine number is different to that on the rego. Any ways around this?
7mgte83
Regular

January 2003
Re: Legality of engine conversions? Tue, 08 April 2003 10:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I dont think you have to do much about the engine number, I think you just need to inform the appropriate people of the number change. the air filter and BOV are a different story I am not sure what you can do there.
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: Legality of engine conversions? Wed, 09 April 2003 02:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Places to call:

Rego and licencing

ask "what do i have to do to change the engine number?"

Regency

ask "I am interested in doing X conversion. Before i start, what paper work do i have to fill out, and what do i need to do to get it passed and be compliant, if its allowd."

Your insurance company:

ask "Will this engine change affect my insurance?"

If you do it all the correct way the first time, and get it pass by regency, if a cop questions it, you just show him the paper work saying its been passed, and he cant ping you for the engine change. Also, this way, it means your insurance will still be valid should anything bad happen....

Its delayed my Corolla project by a while, but Regency and my insurer are cool with what i plan, and it wont affect my insurance premiums either!

Craig.
Danish
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Legality of engine conversions? Wed, 09 April 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks mate.

That's what I needed to know.
haggis
Regular

May 2002
Re: Legality of engine conversions? Thu, 10 April 2003 00:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No probs...

One thing i should mention tho, is get the aproval in writing if you can! just another way to cover your ass.

Craig.
Browndog
Regular

November 2002
Re: Legality of engine conversions? Wed, 30 April 2003 03:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
BOV's are illegal, they might cause another motorist to get distracted and have a major accident Razz.
TA22 GT
Regular

November 2002
Re: Legality of engine conversions? Wed, 30 April 2003 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Changing engine legally is not too bad, BUT it can be costly.
If you change engines to the same CC, eg 2T 1600cc to a 2TG 1600cc all you need to do is fill in the paperwork at motor reg and 99 of out 100 times its the end of it.
If you change engine capacity or go turbo then it has to go through regency.
Generally you need to get an engineers report and usually this includes lane changing and brake testing. This is where the cost comes in. Brake testing typically involves the car stopping 15 times in a row goign at 60km/hr and then going to 100km/hr and stopping in the required distance with a passenger and full tank of fuel. So you can see, your brakes need to be good to prevent then from cooking in the first place.
If you let Regency know, they will send you a letter stating what needs to be done.
On top of this, you need to test the gas emmissions, noise must be under 92db and you need to have a cat and unleaded filler neck if the engine is unleaded. Also you need to have the wheel track and ride height correct.
It's easier to get through using a standard ECU and technically you don't need to have a carbon canister or a cat if your car is before 1975. The rule now goes by teh year of the car, not the engine. BUt they could change again on this one.

Good luck,
Simon
http://users.senet.com.au/~mezz/stitle.htm

lumpy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Legality of engine conversions? Fri, 20 June 2003 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It doesn't always have to have an engineers report to get thru Regency,it depends on each case. If your car model came out with a turbo, then generally you can put a turbo motor in your car without too much hassle. For example my Supra was a NA 3lt, and I put a 1jz-gte in it. Because the MA70 came out as turbo as well, all I needed was regency inspection (including brake and exhaust dB test) and not an engineers report.
For the Soarer as a 2Lt TT changing to a 2.5LT TT you'd probably get away with a regency inspection. (make sure all the mods are off though...) If they say engineers report then just put the 1jz in, after grinding off engine number and re-stamping it with your 1g-gte number. Take the 2.5 twin turbo sticker off and Bob's your uncle!
AFAIK It's not illegal to remove your engine number if you own the engine, only if it was stolen. It is, however, illegal to swap engines as mentioned above. Plus, have you seen where the number is on the 1j? It took regency ages to try and find it, even with my help!
NO-18r
Regular

May 2003
Re: Legality of engine conversions? Fri, 20 June 2003 23:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah, ive asked about a 13bt in my ra23, and i hade to fill out a notice to ??? my car, sent it off about 1 month later i goit back, saying they would most likly pass it if i had an engineers certificate, and an engineer sign off on the breking procedure, and lane changing at 110km/h (this is to see how the car handles at the maximum legal speed limit... Very Happy )

after all this is done, the regency have to have a full inspection, and it has to pass emissions etc. then if you lucky they will pass you.

my mate has a s2 rx7, with a n/a 12a we went to regency, the dude told us that he can legaly swap to a 13b n/a and just tell regency the new engine number, and he can go 12at with bigger brakes and a full inspection, but if he wants 13bt then he needs a engineers certificate...

your best bet is to go down to regency and ask, they have a huge folder with what u can and cant do regarding engine conversions...

hope that helps dude

shane
PSYCO_7
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: Legality of engine conversions? Mon, 23 June 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The 12AT ios completely legal in a series 2 without any checks. The guys at Regency are idiots. They are inconsistant and rarely know what they are talking about.
NO-18r
Regular

May 2003
Re: Legality of engine conversions? Mon, 23 June 2003 10:46 Go to previous message
hmmmm, regency screwen people around... na couldnt be... Very Happy

he has to get bigger brakes and some other stuff, then they said they had to check it, ill get him to ask again...

hey psyco_7 would you sell me the bridgeport out of the rx4??? if tis a 13b bridge... pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeezzzzeeeee
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Cleaning rusted water jackets
Next Topic:2 more GZE wiring Q's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri May 10 17:34:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042400360107422 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.