Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TA22 Newbie
Newcomer

June 2003
2T engine mods - need help/advice Tue, 24 June 2003 23:11 Go to next message
Hey all Smile

After a looking for a while, i've managed to find a TA22, rust free!!! I'm stoked with the find, however now that I have the car, i'm up against my next problem... the motor.

I am planning to rebuild a 2T, but i'm unsure of what can be done to the motor to get the results that i'm looking for.

I'm after good acceleration out of corners, and hill climbing ability. The car is being built to be used on the street and hopefully be put in queensland raceway track days. Having to run premium unleaded is not a problem either Smile

I've been told that the 3T head will bolt straight onto the 2T block, and if done, increases the 2T to around 1800cc. Is this coreect? and is it as simple as bolting it "straight" on. Also, what other sorts of improvements can be made to get the lower down power that i'm after??. We are thinking about using twin solex carbs if the 3T head is a go.

Any suggestions to my questions will be greatly apreciated

Pete
  Send a private message to this user    
sleeka73
Regular

April 2003

Re: 2T engine mods - need help/advice Tue, 24 June 2003 23:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TA22 Newbie wrote on Wed, 25 June 2003 09:11

I've been told that the 3T head will bolt straight onto the 2T block, and if done, increases the 2T to around 1800cc. Is this coreect?

nope , its the 3t bottom end and the 2t-g head that strokes it out to 1800 (correct me if i'm wrong), there should be like a couple hundred posts on this engine that your after search thngs like "2tg hybird" and "2tg/3t hybird"

silverfox
Regular

November 2002

Re: 2T engine mods - need help/advice Tue, 24 June 2003 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'd be interested in what you could do to a 2T motor , has anyone done much to the good old 2T
i have a few idea's but they might be a bit crazy for some ppl's taste . TURBO!! Laughing
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

icon10.gif  2T-C performance Tue, 24 June 2003 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pete,

There is alot of info on these forums about the 2T but its hard to find as that search for "2T" doesn't work to well for some reason Sad

As for your using the 3T head yes it does bolt onto a 2T block BUT you want to do it the other way round ! Use the 3T bottom end to increase the capacity to 1788cc. The 3T has a longer stroke on the Crank. You can also bore the engine "safely" by 3.5mm if you were really chasing some extra performance. 3T-C's have low compression and actually produce less HP than the 2T-C in stock trim so some high compression pistons are a good investment.

Theres a little bit of info here:

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=9992

And to really torment the sences and brake the bank check the two links in this thread !

http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&t h=12854

Hope that helps.
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2T-C performance Wed, 25 June 2003 08:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ill swear till im black and blue - but a 2t is a seriously underrated mill - with the right dollars + a bit of creative headwork they CAN keep up with 2tg's

its been proved many a time .. it all depends on what you want to spend - and whether swapping to a 3tgte or another twin cam motor is more a viable prospect
TA22 Newbie
Newcomer

June 2003
Re: 2T-C performance Wed, 25 June 2003 10:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Classique71,

Thanks mate, i think thats what i wanted to hear. I've come across a 2T motor that is in very good condition, and as i've dealt alot with the fellow that owns it, he's willing to part with it for around $250 including gearbox(5 speed).

What actually have in mind(after doing a lot of research today) is putting the 2TG head, onto the 2T block. I don't intend to stop there. I'll be getting the head extensively ported, and polished, and the cams will be set up for a race style application as the car will be being used on the track. Also, i'll be making the swap to the twin solex/weber set up.

What i would now like to know is :

Will the compression be raised to 9.8:1, and if so, do u think this is high enough for what i want?

If its not... where can i find higher compression pistons and/or is it feezable shaving the face of the head down very slightly to get that extra little bit??

Pete
silverfox
Regular

November 2002

Re: 2T engine mods - need help/advice Wed, 25 June 2003 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i am thinking of making a custom manifold for my 2T and putting a small turbo on it and maybe converting it to a custom EFI system
i figure i might as well have some fun with the 2T if i can Very Happy
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 2T engine mods - need help/advice Wed, 25 June 2003 12:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Silverfox,

Grega on these forums is Turboing a 2T-C there is a post about it. You should be able to use the 3T-EU manifold Smile

TA22 Newbie,

If you are going to use the 2T-G head then you need a whole 2T-G. The timing covers are different as is the water pump (Only slightly) It will be cheaper to buy a whole 2T-G than a 2T and then the 2T-G parts you need. A 2T for $250..... It would have to be a Bloody good one !!!! Bad22 has one for sale as Does Juzzo on these forums. (If your rebiuilding Bad22's sounds like a good deal depending what head it is ! )

As for compression. I would be looking at more like 10.1:1 even 10.5:1 myself. And if your going aftermarket pistons anyway I'd overbore it 3.5 mill to 88.5mm and Use the 3T crank to get you around the 1900cc mark. This is not cheap but probably worth it if you are intending to do some trackwork. A set of Big cams and suitable head work and your away. These engines do need to be set up by someone who knows what they are doing tho. Theres alot of little tricks that can make a HUGE difference. If you reallyt want it to go and intend to throw some money at it... Ring Wilkins Performance Engines is Seven Hill. Speak To Graham, allow around the $4 - $6 grand mark and get yourself a serious performer !
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 2T engine mods - need help/advice Wed, 25 June 2003 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Custom EFI on a 2T is going to cost a lot more than just buying a 2T-GEU and probably not be as good... so why bother?
TA22 Newbie
Newcomer

June 2003
Re: 2T engine mods - need help/advice Thu, 26 June 2003 00:07 Go to previous message
Once again, cheers,

Seven hill??? where the F*ck is that????? i'm in brisbane remember,(starting to wish i lived elsewhere, as nobody up here seams to have a clue about celica's).

As for getting the motor built, thats not going to be a problem as my chicks dad builds motors for a living Smile He's actually the man responsible for creating "widow maker" which some of you's will prolly have heard of.

Thanks to all of you who have steered me in the right the direction, I now have alot of good information to be going on with.

I shall keep you posted as to how the project unfolds Smile

Cheers
Pete
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Supra Headlight Adjustment
Next Topic:how strong are stock 4AGE internals?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Wed May 8 04:48:36 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0036029815673828 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.