Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
jameschristiansz
Newcomer

June 2003
Celica TA23 HELP Tue, 24 June 2003 11:09 Go to next message
Hi there

I'm very interested in getting a TA23 celica, but i really don't know much about them. I am very keen on the shape of the car and the nose and bonnet is more attractive in my eyes.

I haven't been able to find much info about these cars on the net, i can only find info on the TA22. I was wondering why this might be? I was also wondering if someone could tell me if these cars are any good. I am considering getting one for my first project car ever.

cheers, James
  Send a private message to this user    
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: Celica TA23 HELP Tue, 24 June 2003 23:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
James... Good choice on the TA23!! Your right there is not much information on the TA23.. There is plenty of information on the RA23 which is pretty much the same car but with a 18R-C and a W50 gearbox..
The TA23 was put in place only for a year, thats why theres not many of them about. The theory is that Toyota produced a new body to replace the TA22 shape, but they still had plenty of 2T drivetrain's left, so they retrofitted them to the RA shape. When the pollution laws came in in 76 they replaced the 2T with the 18R-C with the pollution gear. Bad move, but hey? Confused They replaced the TA23 with the RA23 mid to late 76.. This upgrade gave the RA23 14inch wheels (opposed to 13inch on the TA23), Park brake light and slightly different heater controls and other minor differences. If you can find a TA23, grab it.. There's not many left.. Confused
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Celica TA23 HELP Wed, 25 June 2003 00:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pumpkin when ya say park brake light u mean the dash warning light to say ya hand brake is on hey? mine has that, weird

Jimi- pumpkin has pretty much explained everything, oh the ra23 got a slightly better braking system,
jameschristiansz
Newcomer

June 2003
Re: Celica TA23 HELP Wed, 25 June 2003 05:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Thanks for the help, it is really appreciated. I have been offered a TA23 for free and i will definatly be accepting it. i have never restored a car before and thought that a bit of research may help me with the task. Maybe one day i will be able to get a pic of it on toymods.

Do you guys have any pictures of your cars? Also i'm curious about whether it would be a good idea to change an engine. Do you have any idea of how much an engineers report would cost?

cheers

James
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: Celica TA23 HELP Wed, 25 June 2003 06:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really Craig? Wierd???

Jimi here's a pic of mine..

http://www.toymods.org.au/photo//Events/ToyMods%20Auction/Rolla%20Boy%20-%20Joe's%20Celica%2018.jpg
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: Celica TA23 HELP Wed, 25 June 2003 10:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i think you should change your engine to an 18rg and give me your crossmember

Very Happy

Daniel
Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: Celica TA23 HELP Wed, 25 June 2003 10:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Pumpkin, Sweet lookin original celica mate!

Just wondering if its a proper GT model? And those chrome lips on the wheel arches, are they GT trim?

Coz DAMN i would love a set of them on mine they look tidy! Do they just screw into the lips of the arches? Any idea where i can get me a set?!
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Celica TA23 HELP Wed, 25 June 2003 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
mine aint as sweet as joes! but here she is

http://www.users.bigpond.com/digger_aus/celica1.jpg

jimi

a 2tgeu is a good engine to put into these, get away with it rather cheap too cause dont need any other modifications,

i have the 1ggte in mine, which requires a ra23 sump usually, but not always
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: Celica TA23 HELP Wed, 25 June 2003 23:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Dylo... Unfortunatly it's not a genuine GT.... Sad I wish it was .. That is my aim to get it to full GT spec though...

The wheel arch moulds aren't screwed on... there glued.. Confused Any Repco or car place has them...
Dylo
Regular

May 2002

Re: Celica TA23 HELP Thu, 26 June 2003 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ahh ok, so where did u get yours from, Repco? did u put them on? they look so sweet i would have sworn they are factory!

Are they actually chromed steel, or stainless, or are they plastic?
Grega
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

June 2002

Re: Celica TA23 HELP Fri, 27 June 2003 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grouse.
hey joe hows that box?
i wondered where that car went.

craigzee....that grille is an ra23 type yes?
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: Celica TA23 HELP Fri, 27 June 2003 00:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Dylo..
I didn't put mine on.. There plastic with a crome film embedded into it.. I know it sounds cheap.. Confused But they look ok..

Grega..
Gearbox is still humming along beautifully.. Thanks again for bailing me out with that one.. !!! Very Happy
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Celica TA23 HELP Fri, 27 June 2003 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
grega- i thought the ra23/28 and ta23 all had same grill
DVS_ONE
Regular

May 2003
Re: Celica TA23 HELP Tue, 01 July 2003 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
CrAiGzEE wrote on Wed, 25 June 2003 20:23

mine aint as sweet as joes! but here she is

http://www.users.bigpond.com/digger_aus/celica1.jpg

jimi

a 2tgeu is a good engine to put into these, get away with it rather cheap too cause dont need any other modifications,

i have the 1ggte in mine, which requires a ra23 sump usually, but not always

Hehe i have an original GT Very Happy and i also have converted my old 2T engine and replace it with a 13B ser 5. i have got her back yet but hopefully today Very Happy she looks like crap in the pics tho

http://www.pbase.com/image/18340311

Sorry i dont know how to upload the pics to here Embarassed
P.S Shes a 73 TA22

[Updated on: Tue, 01 July 2003 03:47]

DVS_ONE
Regular

May 2003
Re: Celica TA23 HELP Tue, 01 July 2003 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
jimi wrote on Wed, 25 June 2003 15:46

Thanks for the help, it is really appreciated. I have been offered a TA23 for free and i will definatly be accepting it. i have never restored a car before and thought that a bit of research may help me with the task. Maybe one day i will be able to get a pic of it on toymods.

Do you guys have any pictures of your cars? Also i'm curious about whether it would be a good idea to change an engine. Do you have any idea of how much an engineers report would cost?

cheers

James

My certificates for my engine conversion cost me $550.

Cheers
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: Celica TA23 HELP Tue, 01 July 2003 06:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DVS_ONE...
You have a original GT Celica? Thats mad.. Your very lucky to find one..
DVS_ONE
Regular

May 2003
Re: Celica TA23 HELP Tue, 01 July 2003 08:57 Go to previous message
Yeah its an original Very Happy i know i was lookin at a LT before i bout the GT as soon as i seen My baby i was like.. Shocked now shes mine hehe Very Happy I got her for a bargain as well
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How did you guys learn
Next Topic:Tyre smoking/mud slinging action in Coffs
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 20 06:42:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0050520896911621 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.