Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
ST162 turbo upgrade Sat, 28 June 2003 23:57 Go to next message
Heres the story i have a 1987 celica and am putting a 3sgte engine in to it, i had a 3sge in there but blew up that 1. The guys that are putting the engine in for me are having a problem trying to get the starter motor to fit in, i have a GT4 box and a ST162 box. the gt4 box the starter motor fits in but i can't afford to convert my car to 4WD atm. with the st162 box the S/motor sits where the turbo pipes are. the mechanics are thinking that they are going to have to modify the st162 box so that the starter motor will sit nicely.

My car has been in the shop for 2 months now and i want it back. If ne1 has ne advice that can help me i would appreciate it.
  Send a private message to this user    
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: ST162 turbo upgrade Sun, 29 June 2003 01:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draza,

You could try the box from a SV21 Camry.

ST162s have the Starter motor under the Exhaust manifold. The Camry has it above the Gearbox.

It might work. The gearbox will certainly bolt to the motor OK, but how long it will last is anyone guess with all that extra Torque.

I've also heard the 4WD Box has a lever to change it from 4WD to 2WD or check out this site :

"http://gtfour.supras.org.nz/"

Good Luck.

Cheers
T.

[Updated on: Sun, 29 June 2003 01:07]

SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 turbo upgrade Sun, 29 June 2003 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i know there is a few guys on www.celica.net who have done the conversion or know what their talking about. try that site, and go and ask in the 4th generation section. Smile
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 turbo upgrade Sun, 29 June 2003 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh and may i ask where you got your 3s-gte from? and what gen engine is it? is it the engine out of the ST165 or the ST185?
(looking at doing the conversion myself)
Very Happy
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 turbo upgrade Sun, 29 June 2003 05:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got me 3s-gte from asian auto spares in queensland. I got it as a halfcut. It is out of the ST185.
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: ST162 turbo upgrade Sun, 29 June 2003 06:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
cool! how much did it set you back?
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 turbo upgrade Sun, 29 June 2003 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
$2000 for the halfcut and $200 to have it sent to Syd.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: ST162 turbo upgrade Sun, 29 June 2003 14:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i havent put much thought into this but what about a mr2 gearbox? it would be similar in setup but just 'backwards'

Daniel
CeLiCa
Regular

September 2002
Re: ST162 turbo upgrade Sun, 29 June 2003 16:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I did a similar conversion into a ST184. I initially used the 5SFE (celica or camry) box, then I upgraded to an MR2 turbo one and swapped the linkages with the GT4 box to make it work in FWD.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: ST162 turbo upgrade Sun, 29 June 2003 22:01 Go to previous message
i was thinking about the mr2 box as well but i think that the mounts are different, and changing them will make it harder to get enginered.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jzgte upgrades,, 1j GURU's needed
Next Topic:What $ have you all spent on your 4AGZE's
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:47:48 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0041160583496094 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.