Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » BOV on an auto?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ybs1ow
Regular

December 2002
icon3.gif  BOV on an auto? Mon, 30 June 2003 12:15 Go to next message
is there any point putting an BOV on an automatic???????
  Send a private message to this user    
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: BOV on an auto? Mon, 30 June 2003 12:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Not really. A BOV only helps the turbo stay spooled up once the throttle body closes which doesnt happen on an auto.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BOV on an auto? Mon, 30 June 2003 12:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
unless you want the wog/ricer sound.
then get the loudest one you can find and go for it. vent to atmosphere is a must. the turbo does slow down between gears in an auto, so you'll get some noise to impress the other wogs/ricers, and piss everyone else off.

(/rant)

sorry .. hate it when people's BOV's are so loud my ear brums feel like they're about to explode
silverfox
Regular

November 2002

Re: BOV on an auto? Mon, 30 June 2003 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
one question on a Manual car with a turbo , what actually causes the BOV to blow off ?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: BOV on an auto? Mon, 30 June 2003 12:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The built up pressure between the turbo and the closed throttle body.
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: BOV on an auto? Mon, 30 June 2003 12:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What are the main advantages/disadvantages of a plumback valve in comparison to a bov?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: BOV on an auto? Mon, 30 June 2003 12:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Plumb back is legal but doesnt make "cool" noises.
Vented is not legal but does make "cool" noises.

Very Happy
BigWorm
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BOV on an auto? Mon, 30 June 2003 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
As much as I also hate noisy & stupid BOVs (well, really just the overuse of them), a BOV would serve a purpose on an auto. In a straight line race sure it wouldn't be needed, but if you're hammering through bends & are on & off the throttle heaps it'll help throttle response/reduce lag, & will reduce stress on the turbo whenever you back off the throttle while the turbo is boosting, whether thrashing it or just giving it a little harmless squirt here & there.
One thing big car companies don't do is get extravagant with little gimmicky gizmos that do nothing, so judging by many a factory turbo car equiped with a BOV form the factory, they are worth having in either manual or auto setups.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV on an auto? Mon, 30 June 2003 21:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i agree with bigworm, yes u can slam the throttle shut on an auto just like in a manual... so they do have a place on an auto car.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: BOV on an auto? Mon, 30 June 2003 22:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I agree, but for normal street driving it isnt really a must.

Hmm after thinking for a bit, who here drives normal on the street anyway Confused
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: BOV on an auto? Mon, 30 June 2003 22:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yep-second that Bigworm-I ran one on my 5m and have a big custom one on my turbo (auto) 1FZ (start-up this weekend!) On an auto they serve the same purpose as they do on manual cars-to stop the air that is compressed between the turbo and the closed throttlebody rushing back out the turbo and shaking the crap out of the turbo shaft-and hence reducing turbo life (that is the primary function-not for decreased spool-up time-they help relatively little in that department.) The only time they go off in an auto is when you get off the gas (at the end of the strip...)-they don't go off as the car up shifts at all (at WOT of course-they can hiss and carry on at light throttle though, although they do that regardless of being auto or not.) Remember of course that generally the louder the valve the more restriction they cause-of course reducing their effectiveness. On factory cars they are fitted for turbo longevity (auto or manual)

All turbo cars should have them for turbo reliability.

Can be fun for scaring pedestrians too.....

Sean
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV on an auto? Mon, 30 June 2003 23:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
All factory turbo cars come with BOV's, including auto's. My 2JZ-GTE came with one and it was originally auto. Manufacturers wouldn't bother installing them if they didn't do anything!
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV on an auto? Mon, 30 June 2003 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie, I don't think the 1G-GTE comes with a factory BOV, but my auto 1JZ-GTE certainly did.
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BOV on an auto? Tue, 01 July 2003 02:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I think Norbie means all factory turbo engines currently and in recent years. Don't forget the last 1GGTE was produced back in the early 90's, and since then turbo technology has come in leaps and bounds.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV on an auto? Tue, 01 July 2003 02:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I knew someone would pull me up on the 1G thing! But yes, I was talking about recent-ish turbo engines. The 1G is getting on a bit now.
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV on an auto? Tue, 01 July 2003 04:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1G-GTE's sound trick without a BOV.. leave them as they are... they are the SHITTTTTTTTTT! Shocked
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: BOV on an auto? Tue, 01 July 2003 04:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Or get a recirculating BOV and ween yourself off the compressor stall noise...you know it cant be good Razz
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: BOV on an auto? Tue, 01 July 2003 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and it only gets louder when you run more boost.. putting a recirc on my one now.
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV on an auto? Tue, 01 July 2003 08:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I didn't mean anything bad by bringing up the 1G comment Norbie... just that the post said:

Quote:

All factory turbo cars come with BOV's, including auto's.

and I wanted to clarify Confused
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: BOV on an auto? Tue, 01 July 2003 13:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok atmospheric, plumb back and recirculating BOV... i always thought a plumb back was a recirculating BOV. can somebody set elaborate on details please
Soarer
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV on an auto? Wed, 02 July 2003 00:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Plumb back = recirculating

Atmoshperic = illegal (in NSW at least)
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: BOV on an auto? Wed, 02 July 2003 04:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message

Or get a GFB Stealth BOV and take your choice: plumb back or atmo vent. Or any combo in between. When I was planning on going manual - I was going to get one of these (also thought I'd have more money back then!). Now I'll stick with the factory 1JZ BOV. As Norbie said - Toyota wouldn't have put it on there for decoration.
Helmann
Regular

July 2002
Re: BOV on an auto? Thu, 03 July 2003 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ummm Dont kid yourself and think that a atmo BOV is louder or better.
I have a stock bosch BOV on my supra. With only an air pod my BOV sounds louder than an aftermarket atmo BOV.
It is a killer also watching the cops look at my engine after they hear it. They try so hard to find it but it looks sooo factory.

BTW with just an apexi air pod on it the induction roar is louder than the 3" exhaust.

Brett.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: BOV on an auto? Thu, 03 July 2003 13:53 Go to previous message
My factory BOV is also very loud, probably more so because I have no AFM in the way. In fact there's only about 6 inches of rubber pipe between the BOV and the pod filter! I wish it wasn't so loud though... it makes it hard to be subtle when the car sneezes on every gear change, even when you're just cruising. Sad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Drag Racing Game
Next Topic:crazy mofo japanese
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 15:15:25 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0073668956756592 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.