Toymods » General Car Talk » Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Sat, 28 June 2003 13:28 Go to next message
How do these two compare ?

when did the funny eyed preludes come out (year)? and how do they compare performance wise up against the new gen celica ??

Send a private message to this user    
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Sat, 28 June 2003 14:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celica probably leave it for dead
reguardless of its 2.2l motor or atts system
i read that the prelude has difficulty with power steering when performing a zig zag thru witches hats excercise
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Mon, 30 June 2003 09:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
is it ?? the preludes seem to retain their value though !

i have seen a i think 2000 or 2001 celica oging for 25k !!!
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Mon, 30 June 2003 11:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah hondas retain their value really well. i dont know why but...
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Tue, 01 July 2003 03:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
perceived quality I reckon.

damm hondas aer expensive even after 5-10 years !!

But u reckon a celica will shit on it ?
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Tue, 01 July 2003 13:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i spent half an hour on google (damn dial up connection)and came up with :
02 toy celica vvtil
1.8l dohc 16v 4cyl
6speed
180hp@7600
176nm@6800
1134kg
61/39% F2R weight dist.
0-100 6.6
400m 15.2

-vs.-

02 honda prelude vtec atts
2.2l dohc 16v 4cyl
5speed
195hp@6800
torque - ?
1331kg
?/? F2R dist
0-100 8.4
400m - ?

looks like toyota has done it again!

three cheers for toyota! Surprised Laughing Surprised
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Tue, 01 July 2003 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm fairly sure that the 2ZZ celica's are only good for around 8s+ 0-100 and 16s 1/4 miles. Sad

but honda isn't making preludes any more anyway Razz
Jards88
Newcomer

May 2002
Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Wed, 02 July 2003 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Leeboozlee,

Don't believe what you read or hear. The 2ZZ-GE engined Celica will do a lot better than that, but to get good times you have to drive it to the limit and shift almost at the fuel cutoff of 8300rpm and not at the 7800 redline. The 1st to 2nd shift is crucial and if you land it right the engine will stay on the high lift cam above 6200rpm in 2nd gear and times will be dramatically improved. It takes practice but it can be done. As far as the Prelude is concerned I don't believe that there would be that much difference between the two. I remember some time ago Wheels magazine did a comparison test including the Celica & Prelude VTi-R. According to them the Celica was faster, but not by that much. But once again I would assume that they would use the redline as their shift point and would not have got the best times from the Celica. It is interesting to note that the new Corolla Sportivo is redlined at 8300RPM, unlike the 7800RPM of the Celica. I wonder why?
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Wed, 02 July 2003 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
woohoo, finally somebody who has actually driven one..

I assumed the car testers/reviewers would figure out the cutout point, then aim to shift just before that point every time anyway...they must be going soft on them when they test them. i guess they have to test the car within the manufacturer's limits though?

that all makes sense..i always wondered why a 140+kW celica would only do 8s 0-100..

hmm..if i was hammering it, and falling out of high-lift on upshifts i'd have the shits Mad

thanks for the heads-up..me likes the celica more now..oh and the sportivo corolla! Evil or Very Mad
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Wed, 02 July 2003 09:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks strober for finding those figures for moir - u da man!
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Tue, 08 July 2003 04:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

1.8l dohc 16v 4cyl
6speed
180hp@7600
176nm@6800
1134kg
61/39% F2R weight dist.
0-100 6.6
400m 15.2

Try again! 0-100 is mid to high 7s, the Prelude, ten years there senior, are about the same, factory quoted 7.7s for 0-100 for the VTi-R, the ATTS version are a few tenths slower and not worth the extra $$$, it's a real crap system. In reality they should of release the hot Type-R version here instead of the ATTS, with 180Kw on tap!
I can verify these figures as My two brothers had/had both the cars in question (elder still has a Prelude, the younger had the Celica, Now SLK Merc) and neither gives much to the other, especially when brotherly love becomes in involed. It all depended who had the better start... Pity, neither could cut it against my S3.
On The Corolla Sportivo bit, the look like they have a bit of go, having had a Traffic light run against one. They're Not bad at all, but I think the older one may have a bit poke down low and loses out slightly in top... Now that would stir a good debate.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Tue, 08 July 2003 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'd say the facts that were copied from the toyota website are more then likely correct. Considering my stock 89 3sge without piston rings can manage 0-100 in 8s
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Tue, 08 July 2003 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the figures were sourced thru numerous auto sites. charliechalk is correct, i did use toyota's website for the celica stats. but i think it was an american site. H22A engine hasnt been around for 10 years has it???
i went to the rally at eastern creek on friday and the carolla driven by Bates was AWSUM! it sounded angrier than a muddafugga! i couldnt hear the announcer but i think that it got very good times even against evo's wrx's and the like. i give it three thumbs up!
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Tue, 08 July 2003 12:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
8s for stock 3sge huh? that is really good dude... I can't quite do that and mine isn't totally stock.

so is there a fuel cut-off in mine I wonder? I was racing a friend when high in 2nd gear it just almost turned off on me... was heaps worried.. and didn't think I was revving it THAT hard... and car is absolutely fine. I guess that would have been a fuel cut off? But I don't think I was revving 7300+ but maybe I was.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Wed, 09 July 2003 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well if the celica does 6.6sec to 100 why in the hell does a stock Audi S3 0-100 6.8s flogg the crap out of them? Sorry those figures are wrong! 7.7 to 7.5 sec is the right mark
Quote:

Considering my stock 89 3sge without piston rings can manage 0-100 in 8s

Hmm... Don't think so more like 10+ sec, as in the wheels Feb'90 I'm holding (9.9), Factory quoted 9.8 sec, 0-100
Quote:

H22A engine hasnt been around for 10 years has it???

First came out in the prelude in '92 in japan only, shape before the 'bug eyed', and the bugged eye was released in japan in '93-94 a year or so before it was released here.
Quote:

carolla driven by Bates was AWSUM!

Yeah very nice, but would be better if he could run the VTTL-i 3S and the turbo, the car would then be up the front... Toyota Stuffed that up by not doing research and it now makes it harder for CAMS approval for that combo... What made Friday worse was That I had to withdraw as my car wasn't ready (Rolled last rally)! Was funny copping a lot of flake from a few guys I knew. If it didn't rain the Dirt track looked like a heap of fun and more spectator friendly ie more crashes.
charliechalk
Regular

June 2003
Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Wed, 09 July 2003 06:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah, I'd think I'd know how fast my car is I've timed it.

Tip for the guy with the 162, at the start, redline it and drop the clutch hope you didn't want the rubbers on the front Very Happy

then try and land you change to second around the 4500+ rpm mark you should be doing well if you do that.

And the factory stated for a 3s-ge celica sx st162 is actually 8.1 I wouldn't trust magazines I highly doubt they drive the cars to the limits.
Johnny
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Thu, 10 July 2003 08:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

Yeah, I'd think I'd know how fast my car is I've timed it.

B$%#$%T! What with, A stopwatch? How bout A-A timing or a Corvit or a G-TECH like all the pro's... Here's a better one bring it to Eastern Creek, Wakefield or Oran, Next Supersprint.. Because 8 sec is bloody fast, fast enough to give a VTI-R (Civic,Prelude or Integra) a run and there will be plenty at the Supersprint if Honda CC turn up. If it does 8 sec to 0-100, well you'd be a front runner, You'd flog my new company car, Ford BA UTE for sure and give my Audi a Good Run too... Hang on, Made be my Rally Car as well? How do you go compared to a REX? How does the New Celica go against you? You'd be Choking on there fumes! 8 sec, Factory they quoted 9.8 Sec, the Same figure for the Twin Cam Corolla of the Same era, both were ahead of there times...
Quote:

Tip for the guy with the 162, at the start, redline it and drop the clutch hope you didn't want the rubbers on the front

And if this is how you achieved your 8 sec, you have a lot to learn about driving, because it is how you go backwards in hurry, sitting there spinning your wheel, creating a heap of smoke, and slowly crawling to speed. Fine for AWD's, not so for 2wd, best way to lauch is to sit with you clutch slight dis-enaged ie friction point, foot on the brake and throttle at same time (Heel-toe), about 3k-4k rev's, gren comes up, foot off brake, pop clutch and away you go Shocked like a rocket Very Happy !! Trust me on that one Rolling Eyes
Charlie, you also said:
Quote:

Worn out engine

well I just won't go there...
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
icon5.gif  Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Thu, 10 July 2003 13:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
heheh funny cnts Smiley =

let me try settle it - 0-100 in APPROX 8-10 secs ? sounds bout right hhhehe

ROB

is yours a GT or ST model and how much was it ? Reading on the net, i think there were 2 model engines 97hp (ST) and 135 hp (GT) - are these USA or Aussie models ? I saw a GT-R model today and it looked REALLY nice !

is there a big diff on the road and also diff in price ?
HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: Funny eyed Honda Prelude vs current Celica Fri, 11 July 2003 07:40 Go to previous message
Back to the original question, id say there wouldnt be much between them, but the Prelude *may* pip it. Dont ask me how i know, just seat-of-pants feeling (yes ive been a regular passenger in both cars).

cheers
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Somebody likes 7M's
Next Topic:Anyone in Perth going to have a look at this 76 celica in mandurah?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 22:15:31 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062198638916016 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.