Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » what does white smoke mean?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
what does white smoke mean? Mon, 24 June 2002 01:12 Go to next message
Hello, asking on behalf of a mate with a G63B starion engine.

It seems to blow a lot of white smoke. When idling and when under boost it is most noticable. Only just started happening.

Haven't had a chance to check water levels. I'm guessing white smoke is steam/water being burn't?

Any ideas where this is coming from, head gasket maybe? Can water for the turbo leak into the exhaust maybe?

Thanks !

Joel
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what does white smoke mean? Mon, 24 June 2002 01:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
White smoke is usually coolant/water. Hes probably blown a head gasket or something. Serves him right for involving himself with a Starion...Smile j/k
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: what does white smoke mean? Mon, 24 June 2002 04:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
White smoke is usually and indication of oil being burnt .. not water.. You will be able to smell the difference between oil being burnt and condensation .. If it is a starion.. they have a tendancy to kill the rings.. Do a compression test . .that will definatly tell you ...
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what does white smoke mean? Mon, 24 June 2002 04:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats not what I've been told!
As far as I've seen, know:
White - water/coolant
Blue - oil
Black - Fuel (too rich)

I was pretty sure, because I've had my car do Blue because it was burning oil (too much in it, teach me to rush No No No) and black because it runs rich when the choke is on...anyone else?
kevz0r
Regular

May 2002

Re: what does white smoke mean? Mon, 24 June 2002 04:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
JCMF is definately correct here (I know because I told him myself Razz ), but possibly on more than 1 thing.

The colours of smoke is correct, and yes could more than likely have blown the head gasket. Seen a few of them with BHGs around.

Youll probably find that the water is down, and it may even decide to come out the overflow bottle after driving.

Get a CO2 test done, and thatll give you a better indication.

cheers
Pumpkin
Regular

Toymods Board Member

September 2002
Re: what does white smoke mean? Mon, 24 June 2002 05:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I stand corrected Embarassed ... You guys are right Embarassed .. Bugger. . Mad
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: what does white smoke mean? Mon, 24 June 2002 10:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
if there is water in the combustion chamber - enough to get white smoke produced out of exhaust - then is stands to reason that there is probably comustion gasses in and then dissolved in the water!!!

this idea is the basis of a very handy invention and chemecal tool called T-Kay head check. most good mechanical workshops stock and use this as the first sign of a blown head gasket.

the idea is that it uses a chemical that is mixed with a small amount of the water out of the radiator and through use of colour change, shows up if there are any combustion gasses dissolved in the water, eg CO2 NOx CO etc.

my point is that if you have noticed white smorke, often it is only a very small amount of water that produced it. as long as there are no external leaks from the cooling system, then the amount of water being consumed by the engine is very small. this amount is not often noticed as a great loss in the water level in the radiator. if the loss was great and there was no external water leaks, then there would be so much water in the bores that it probably wouldn't run at all!!

so if you want to spend the absolute minimum amount of money to be sure if your head gasket is blown, call into a mechanical workshop and ask if they use T-Kay Head Check and see if they can test your car, so quick and easy!!!

good luck.

[Updated on: Mon, 24 June 2002 10:35]

mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what does white smoke mean? Tue, 25 June 2002 14:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
White smoke can be steam, although it will usually sound like Thomas the Tank Engine in the process (take the AE71 parked in my drive as an example)

White smoke can well mean oil, usually from the turbo leaking and burning it in the exhaust. My chemistry is not quite up to scratch on the reasoning for it burning white when it does, but I think its temperature related. Generally takes a lotta water to produce huge clouds of steam, and that would make it very hard to start, whereas a stuffed turbo will smoke like all buggery at idle and when the boot goes down (just like mine did).
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what does white smoke mean? Tue, 25 June 2002 15:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Oil smoke is almost white, should have a bluish tinge to it, and it smells like shit Razz
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what does white smoke mean? Tue, 25 June 2002 23:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks everyone for all this info. Looks like I got a few things to look at.

Will get headgasket test done, sounds cheap and easy.. I've replaced head gasket on g63b before and from memory was a easy job.

As for the posibility of turbo or oil being burnt sounds like it might be a bit harder to diagnose.. Suppose commpression test with eliminate the rings/pistons/valves right? If that all checks out ok then probably turbo?

Thanks all..
Joel
zorro
Regular

May 2002
Re: what does white smoke mean? Wed, 26 June 2002 13:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I've owned 2 Cordia's and a Starion and had the same problem with them all. As they get old the factory air/oil seperator build ups muck and clogs up and fails to breath air as it should and will cause the engine to blow smoke. So pull it off and see if it still blows smoke. If it does its head gasket or problems as listed above or you may be lucky like me and she'll stop smoking!
BigBadBenny
Regular

May 2002
Re: what does white smoke mean? Thu, 27 June 2002 21:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
first of all is it an automatic???
if it is it will most likely be the (modulator??)
it's a little diaphram thing that when it breaks the needle pushes through the diaphram and allows auto fluid into the engine. auto fluid will produce a much whiter smoke than engine oil. normally notice puffs of white smoke on takeoff
anyway if it isn't that then it's engine oil.
willwal98
Regular

May 2002

Re: what does white smoke mean? Sat, 29 June 2002 05:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what are all you guys on about. Everyone knows that white smoke is when you push the accelerator down and let the clutch out fast. It ussually begins around the rear wheels and occasionally front of the front sometimes even from all four. This can cause excesive tire wear and a hightened emotional level. Be carful, if you notice red and blue lights then too much white smoke has been produced and this will end up costing you some money. hehehe
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: what does white smoke mean? Sun, 30 June 2002 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hahaha, thats a nice way of solving the argument Razz
Sam
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: what does white smoke mean? Tue, 02 July 2002 08:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So what about green radiator liquid coming out of the exhaust pipe - is that a bad sign? Razz hehehe Evil or Very Mad
dorikin
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002
Re: what does white smoke mean? Tue, 02 July 2002 11:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ummmmm, yeah!!!!
DRAG'N 4
Regular

May 2002
Re: what does white smoke mean? Tue, 02 July 2002 14:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My friend's beaten up old XF falcon blows out LIGHT BROWN smoke! we think it might be from the rust down the exhaust pipe??? He says the car runs on love, hmmmm.... real romantic. I don't think the feeling's mutual. Who knows, he's a leb.
tyreburner
Occasional Poster

July 2002

Re: what does white smoke mean? Tue, 02 July 2002 15:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey,

It's more likely that it is a turbo problem ... The turbo in my Cordia was extremely smoky because one of the seals was damaged.

Smoke at idle and on boost indicates this.

Alex
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: what does white smoke mean? Tue, 02 July 2002 23:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats interesting as it is only idle and boost. Cruise is fine.
Pulled the intercooler pipe off the turbo the other night and was coated in oil.. Looks like the turbo has had it. Hopefully that all, but will find out once its replaced.

Thanks everyone for all these suggestions/ideas!
HooN
Regular

May 2002
Re: what does white smoke mean? Wed, 03 July 2002 02:51 Go to previous message
Serves him right for involving himself with a Starion... j/k

oi!!!!!!!!

btw, any of u ex starion owners know how much: the headlight switch cossts, the power mirrors motor, the intake (pre turbo) pipe costs?

Mine doesnt blow any smoke at all luckily Razz
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1J power steering gone
Next Topic:Ignition Coil??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Thu May 16 22:59:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0042848587036133 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.