Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
brass button clutch Tue, 01 July 2003 06:08 Go to next message
ok i'm not too good when it comes to clutches, but how good are brass button clutches?
  Send a private message to this user    
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: brass button clutch Tue, 01 July 2003 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
depends...

what car?

what do you use the car for/how do you drive?

how do you like to drive?

what are you comparing it to?

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: brass button clutch Tue, 01 July 2003 06:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i have a st162, but have a 3sgte. i like driving fast. the car is currently in the shop and i haven't driven it in 10 months. i don't know what other types of clutches there are as i use to have an auto.
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: brass button clutch Tue, 01 July 2003 07:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message

click here for details on brass button clutches.

a search will reveal further info.

if you've only driven autos i would NOT recommend a brass button clutch as you would not be able to handle the harshness.

get a heavy-duty clutch of some sort - i personally use a ceramic sprung button clutch on my 3sgte/gt4 and am very happy with that.

Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: brass button clutch Wed, 02 July 2003 11:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup, brass button sucks on the street. Don't even consider it unless all your other options fail.

I echo Danny's sentiments; I have a 5-puck sprung ceramic clutch in my Supra and it's quite nice to drive. Not quite as smooth as a conventional clutch, but nowhere near as grabby as a brass clutch.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: brass button clutch Wed, 02 July 2003 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok its not good to drive with a BBC on the road, but its that or a heavy duty ceramic clutch that i get no warranty on. Sad the difference between the 2 in price is only about $300.
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: brass button clutch Wed, 02 July 2003 15:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my 4puck brass button shudders heaps and gives me the shits!!!!

will this lesson as it wears in? ive only done about 500kms on it.
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: brass button clutch Thu, 03 July 2003 02:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draza wrote on Wed, 02 July 2003 22:47

ok its not good to drive with a BBC on the road, but its that or a heavy duty ceramic clutch that i get no warranty on. Sad the difference between the 2 in price is only about $300.

why don't you get a warranty??

and why can you only choose between these two types??

i think someone is feeding you bad information or you are not giving us enough

call our sponsors pittwater brake and clutch and they should be able to help you.

MR. 2
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: brass button clutch Thu, 03 July 2003 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i have a bbc 4 puck i find it reasonably easy to drive it on the street with, the only pain in arse is city driving with one that sucks then.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: brass button clutch Thu, 03 July 2003 04:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok more info, the 3sgte is out of an ST185(jap import), Toyota T26 turbo, MR2 turbo box. I think that the turbo has been modified as well, as it is the first turbo that my mechanic has seen that has twin turbine blades.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: brass button clutch Thu, 03 July 2003 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draza wrote on Wed, 02 July 2003 22:47

You are being fed rubbish.

I suggest you have a chat to Daikin or BGT Clutches here in Vic, or one of the guys suggested above.

I don't honestly see why they can't make you a full face organic with a much heavier pressure plate. They can change the fulcrum point too so that despite the higher clamping force, pedal feel isn't that much worse.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: brass button clutch Thu, 03 July 2003 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my xxd excedy (sp?) daikin pressure plate (2100lbs?) is actually LIGHTER at the pedal than the bog-stocker that was in there previously...
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: brass button clutch Thu, 03 July 2003 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I personally prefer the clutch a bit heavier than normal
mrshin
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: brass button clutch Thu, 03 July 2003 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I haven't had too much luck with Daikin previously - I much prefer Direct Clutch in Brissy Cool
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: brass button clutch Thu, 03 July 2003 13:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Direct Clutch made my clutch. Those guys rock! Pretty cheap too.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: brass button clutch Fri, 04 July 2003 05:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok i got a 5 puck BBC, i think me mech said it was a daikin, he said it was a new clutch that had only just been brought out. Cost me $950, is that a good price for a BBC or not?

I took a look at the old clutch that was took out and it looked fcut. And before every1 tells me i know nothing about clutches, i alread know that so i'll save you some time. The metal plate between the clutch pads is the pressure plate???, neway it looked like the disks on my first can when i had driven it for a week with no brake pads left. Oops(every1 is allowed to rune their first car to find out how it works).
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: brass button clutch Fri, 04 July 2003 06:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Draza wrote on Fri, 04 July 2003 15:19

ok i got a 5 puck BBC, i think me mech said it was a daikin, he said it was a new clutch that had only just been brought out. Cost me $950, is that a good price for a BBC or not?

lol i guess you just ignored the advice given huh

your call

sounds pricey

[Updated on: Fri, 04 July 2003 06:25]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: brass button clutch Fri, 04 July 2003 06:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DannyGT4 wrote on Fri, 04 July 2003 16:25

sounds pricey

amen to that Confused
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: brass button clutch Fri, 04 July 2003 06:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I had already told my mech to get the BBC. So i didn't really ignor the advice, i had just already made my choice and i wanted to know what others thought.
FLU77R
Regular

January 2003
Re: brass button clutch Fri, 04 July 2003 06:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Button clutches are awesome in high power cars. Ihad a double diaphram button clutch in my 1.0L charade and yer it sucked at first but u get used to it, and its assuring to know that its not going to slip, especially with the spike in power with the big turbo. You have to make sacrifices for results.

NICk...
FLU77R...
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: brass button clutch Fri, 04 July 2003 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I hope that's the price for 2......
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: brass button clutch Fri, 04 July 2003 14:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I paid $500 for my 5-puck ceramic clutch, including brand new custom made pressure plate (with lots-o-clamp). Nearly twice as much for a brass clutch seems somewhat excessive...
Ribbo
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: brass button clutch Sat, 05 July 2003 08:14 Go to previous message
I paid $220 for my 4 puck brass button, though it was a pretty sweet deal and only reason I went the button.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Join the Dots on brake fluid???
Next Topic:anyone with an AFM
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 18:38:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0070259571075439 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.