Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
isaac
Regular

March 2003
Servicing my car Tue, 01 July 2003 07:13 Go to next message
Hey, I'm going to be doing an Oil Change on my car very soon. I was wondering what else I can do cheaply to my car to make it better.

My list is something like

Lubricate door hinges (what oil do i use)
repaint wiper blades black (do i just spray them with black gloss or is there a proper way to do this)
fully detail interior and polish exterior
clean engine bay (done)

can somebody tell me what else i should do to service my car, and how to do it.

Thanks heaps

the car is a ST184 1990 celica
  Send a private message to this user    
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Servicing my car Tue, 01 July 2003 07:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well asumming your car is efi not a lot (engine wise)

You can change the spark plugs, change the fuel filter\s, oil filter (which you should do when u do an oil change anyway). Air filter, spark plug Leads if fkd.

And may i ask why you want to paint ur wipe blades? get new ones there like $10 if that.

that should do ya.

and u can use the oil that u get for your car for the hinges just dont go nutz a ver little bit will do.
sleeka73
Regular

April 2003

Re: Servicing my car Tue, 01 July 2003 08:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
paint ya wiper blades? now that just ridiculous Very Happy , yeah if ya can be botherd to paint the wiper arms just sand them lightly and give em a coat of black
Mr*Beach
Regular

October 2002
Re: Servicing my car Tue, 01 July 2003 08:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For your door hinges, you should use lithium grease if you can get your hands on some(oil could drip and make a mess). Also, you can replace your air filter or just give it a clean(if you dont have access to a compressor and air gun just bang it on the ground to get the dirt and crap out and take the leaves out of the air box). You can also put an engine flush through before you drop the oil, and some injector cleaner in the tank(Repco). Other than what coronamark said, there isnt much else you can do cheaply. Have fun.

~Josh
mr spears
Regular

May 2002
Re: Servicing my car Wed, 02 July 2003 14:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey guys is this(the things already mentioned) all a mechanic does when you take your car for a service or is there more?
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Servicing my car Thu, 03 July 2003 00:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats right and thats if your lucky they usually just check the sht and do an oil change and put some mechanics distilled water in the radiator (tap water).

Your better off doing it yourself if you dont know how buy a manual for your car or just follow instructions on packet.
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: Servicing my car Thu, 03 July 2003 12:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
u might as well check ur timing too if possible, right?
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Servicing my car Thu, 03 July 2003 13:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeha u want to advance the timing as much as you can but making sure it doesnt bad at top end speed, u still want your car to idle so dont go overboard. You either turn the distributer there should be a nut on the block (on carbie cars) mine has a knob that u turn, it worked anyway.
waynewatson
Regular

May 2003
Re: Servicing my car Fri, 04 July 2003 06:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what coronamark2 said.

1 other thing to note: different expendables have different lifetimes, eg:
oil, oil filter - 5,000km
air filter - check every 5,000km, replace when needed
fuel filter - ?,???km
radiator coolant - 5,000km -> ?,???km (depending on brand/quality)
$4 spark plugs - 10,000km
$20 spark plugs - 100,000km

and another thing you might want to consider is to rotate your tires every so often eg every time you change your oil and the other stuff above.

sometimes you'll need to change things more/less often, depending on your preference or quality or how your car runs ie - does it chew oil, does it corode the shit outa spark plugs.

edit: check brake fluid in the master cylinder and wiper fluid and shit like that. might want to check all your lights and make sure none have blown - the kind of stuff that gets done for a safety certificate.

[Updated on: Fri, 04 July 2003 06:42]

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Servicing my car Fri, 04 July 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I check everything usually on a Sat morning...

Check water, Oil, Air Filter and anything else visible...

Air Filter - Check regularly (blow out with compressed air or bang on a flat surface) and replace usually every 40,000kms...

Coolant and Brake Fluid - Check Regularly and replace every 2 years regardless of how many kms travelled...

Fuel Filter - Replace usually every 40,000kms...

Oil and Oil Filter - I replace every 5,000kms...

Trans oil - Check by undoing filler plug and seeing if oil seeps out or by sticking your finger in the hole and down to see where the oil level is...

Diff Oil - Same as Trans oil...

Tyre Pressures - Check once a week usually...

Brakes - Check regularly, especially if you drive hard...

Battery Electrolyte Level - Check and add DISTILLED water if needed...
ToyCam
Regular

April 2003
Re: Servicing my car Fri, 04 July 2003 14:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Just curious, with replacing spark plugs, do u have to tighten them to a certain "torque" or something, or is having them tight good enough?
leebroozlee
Regular

November 2002

Re: Servicing my car Fri, 04 July 2003 16:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Screw em in hand tight, then put all ur body weight into it until u hear a loud crack, or similar. Razz No don't! hand tight should be good enough. Unless u are a weakling.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Servicing my car Fri, 04 July 2003 16:23 Go to previous message
hand tight?
I hope you mean with a socket wrench held in that hand Razz you're right though, just turn it till it's fairly tight. no need to go overboard (you wont be straining to get them in), but make sure they're tight
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:200sx vs Prelude
Next Topic:Stockish GTi Swift 12secs??
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 01:50:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0044069290161133 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.