Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
18RG rebuild Fri, 04 July 2003 11:46 Go to next message
Hi all

i was just wondering what parts from a standard R-C rebuild kit can be used for an RG motor.

so far i have been told that rings, bearing and the bottom end gasket set (apart from timing chain gasket) can be used.

any other parts that are interchangable?

i know there is a site that sells parts for the 18RG like valves timing chain guides etc for toyotas and other old performance engines but i cant seem to find it anywhere! can someone help me out?

thanks

Daniel
  Send a private message to this user    
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: 18RG rebuild Fri, 04 July 2003 12:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rings are actually different. I know the top ring was a cro-moly and the second ring was cast on the pistons when I rebuilt mine. Can't remember if the thicknesses varied but think the RG may have had a thinner top ring (not sure, I would have to go check in the shed).

There are two different sets of main bearings for the 18R/18RG too. One set has the thrust bearing as an integral part of number three journal, the other has the thrust bearing as separate pieces. Make sure you ordered the right set.

The lower chain is the same, the upper is obviously longer. The 18RG also has a higher volume oil pump (taller gears + spacer plate). Make sure you use this pump, when rebuilding.

The timing cover gasket is the same, only the head gasket is different.

Do recall seeing the site you mention, but buggered if I can find it.

Tyron.
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 18RG rebuild Fri, 04 July 2003 12:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for the info earlyrolla. seems like ive been told some BS by a few people.

What about the head? did you find any interesting tricks similar parts, problems?

thanks

Daniel
earlyrolla
Regular

May 2003
Re: 18RG rebuild Sat, 05 July 2003 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Went and checked this morning on those rings. And yes 18RG rings are different. The 18RGEU runs 1.5mm thick 1st and 2nd comp rings, while the 18R runs 2.5mm 1st and 2nd comp rings. The earlier 18RG may have a thicker 2nd comp ring but it has been ages since the rebuild and I cant remember.

The head is obviously entirely different (I am pretty sure that everything - valves, stem seals, springs etc are all different, someone else may disagree). Better off getting it rebuilt by someone who knows how to do those sort of heads (cam over bucket). You can't shave them anymore than than 1mm before running into valve clearance problems etc, so be sure to get one that isn't too warped (straightening a warped head = big dollars). If you get a decent head shop they should be able to machine the tops of the valves to get the proper clearances as opposed to adjusting the shims. If you do choose to adjust the valves by the shims then a motor cycle place is the place to go for the needed shims.

Have a read of this, it should be helpful:
http://www.toysport.com/2tg_18rg_3tg_tech_notes.ht m

Also useful to get hold of an engine manual for the engine. I have one for an 18R/18RC/18RG, it was very useful !!!!

And remember when the engine is being put together, get the cams in the right place before putting on and tightening down the head, or else you will bend the valves !!!! (NO, I didn't do this either)

Tyron.

Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18RG rebuild Sat, 05 July 2003 13:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Valves are bigger, by varying degrees depending on era.
valve stem seals are different (rg's have 8.5mm valve stem, not 8mm like 18r's)
toyota 2L diesol stem seals can be used, as are same size and fit well.

Older pistons (from 88253 engine) have same size rings, thickness and all that is identical but yes, they recommend chrome/chromoly ones to cope with high revs.

I have a shit load of part number for an 18rg rebuild written down if you want to know them.
(keep in mind it is for an 88253 generation engine)
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18RG rebuild Sat, 05 July 2003 15:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Check this site out:

http://www.swmotorsport.com/

they should have sources for most of the bits you need
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 18RG rebuild Sun, 06 July 2003 00:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that info earlyrolla.

Steve M: Yeah those part numbers would be great. i havent actually bought my RG yet so they may or maynot be perfect. my email is dfeldman@optusnet.com.au

What are the different headnumbers anyway? any i should stay away from? as far as i know there were only three head numbers with three different sized ports and cam differences etc. could someone pleas enlighten me?

thanks

Daniel
RJB - Aus
Newcomer

May 2003
icon14.gif  Re: 18RG rebuild Sun, 06 July 2003 03:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
munki wrote on Sun, 06 July 2003 10:38

Thanks for that info earlyrolla.

What are the different headnumbers anyway? any i should stay away from? as far as i know there were only three head numbers with three different sized ports and cam differences etc. could someone pleas enlighten me?

thanks

Daniel

This was posted by The Witzl a while back:

Quote:

Here's some head numbers off Al's 18RGs:

> 88250:
> - 49657 single spring early rgu single dump ex ok head small studs on ex
> - 52978 same as above
> 88253:
> - 73086 double spring late rgu good head to start with large studs on ex should be duel dump man
> - 62744 single late rgu still good head may be small stud ex should be single dump
> - 81784 double spring late also
> - 87278 double spring late also
> 88270: these are ale efi heads all double springs alll good heads these are the ones you use
> - 35140 biggest ports biggest valves no smog ports best casting
> - 08037
> - 49383 very late head newest ive seen
> ?:
> - 81225 same as above double late rgu if the head is a 11111-88253 not a 11111-88270
> 88253 88270s would be the heads of choice since these need very little work from the factory these willl make lots of power with little porting they will make a lot more power with a lot of porting the castings are a lot thicker around the ports so there is a lot of room the 88250s can be made good but the ex studs should be changed up to 10mm ones for best sealing all of these engines should have 8.5s to 1 but the efi 88270 heads they should have 8.3 to 1 just be glad you dont have any of those 11111-88230 or 88210 heads they are good paper weights.

Hope this helps your info of what you got there sounds like my garage

I think i have 15-18 heads right now

I hope this helps. Don't forget to use the search every now and again, theres all sorts of info in there that I've found useful Smile
munki
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 18RG rebuild Sun, 06 July 2003 06:05 Go to previous message
thanks for that RJB. I saw that before but didnt take much notice of it and then when i went to search for it again i couldnt find it.

Thanks for everyones help any more info feel free to post it up.

Daniel
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:1jz toyota part number?
Next Topic:18rgeu afm to run a 2tgeu can it be done???
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Fri Apr 26 17:41:19 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046000480651855 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.