Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

icon3.gif  First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sat, 05 July 2003 05:23 Go to next message
need your opinions

ive been tossing up what to do as my first mods when i get the trueno from japan in august/sept

regardless of these mods, when i get it here im doing a full fluids change (motul 300 trans + mobil 1 engine oil + radiator coolant and motul brake fluid, cusco diff oil) so rule that stuff out

keep in mind i already have: a pedal set, mp3 headunit, seatbelt pads,

what u rekon would be idead as my first mod?

1. short shift kit - $298
  2. sports battery + iridium sparkplugs and 8mm silicon ignition leads - $550
  3. endless brake pads - $350 (for 4 sets)
  4. bride racing seat with harness - $1400 fitted
  5. cusco roll center adjusters - $150
  6. hardcore alarm/dual immobilizer with SMS and GPS alert - $1000
  7. raybrig white-light headlight set (bulbs and housing) - $400
  8. windows tinted - $350
)

Send a private message to this user    
lang
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sat, 05 July 2003 05:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the first thing to do is wash it

because it will be covered in diesel salt oil ect,

it took me abuot 4 hours to get mine averagley clean
had to do a cut on the entire body to get all the oil off
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sat, 05 July 2003 06:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shocked Shocked Shocked So many plans to spend money straight away!!

First thing I know I would be doing is checking it for *cough* DRIFT *cough* damage!! I would so not be even thinking of driving a 20 year old import without checking it for structural damage and previous *dodgy* accident repairs!

Not being a prick just when did you last see a AE86 being sold in Japan that was in good condition and someone wanted to sell it???

PS: No smartass responses to that question like 2 years before Initial D came out! Very Happy

Post some pics up when it finally gets here ok!
I've been anxiously waiting for your car to come also to see what it is like!!
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sat, 05 July 2003 06:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
my car is coming over in a container for that very reason
but i will be washing it
i already have my 3M cleaning and polishing products

its going to look sex after im done with it!
then the piccies Very Happy

speedy: structual damage? like what? where should i look. the car been looked over by my imports guys in japan. no accident repairs were visible at that time.
draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sat, 05 July 2003 06:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3/4 panels mainly.
A mate imported a 180sx that had been a drifter
when it got here, it got the nickname "the green bog monster", because it had been repainted with green house paint, and the only thing holing it together was bog
not one panel was in alignment and free of dents/bog
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sat, 05 July 2003 06:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well i have paid top dollar for my car
and its been inspected twice now

so i doubt there green (or white for that matter) house paint on it Very Happy

[Updated on: Sat, 05 July 2003 06:27]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sat, 05 July 2003 07:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm not suggesting there is.

just remember the people who inspected it for you are also trying to sell it to you.
I'm not necessarily saying they're dodgy, but it's be worth giving it a once over, looking for slightly different panel colours, bog, chassis damage, etc etc
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sat, 05 July 2003 07:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah ill be scrutineering the entire thing

dont u worry

Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sat, 05 July 2003 08:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I ask how much it is costing you including deliverey?
Les
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sat, 05 July 2003 09:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what can u do if u find dodgy repair work if there was any ?? Shocked

its not like the importer is gonna say.. oh here, here is some cash, go fix it ????
Youngy
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sat, 05 July 2003 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well I must say it must have been a big decision to buy a car sight unseen (well not seen in the flesh anyway). I probably would not buy a car I have not seen in person myself, so I think it is a somewhat ballsy move.

Hope your not disappointed
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sat, 05 July 2003 15:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well what ese do you do when importing?

oh and the price, lets say its in the 5 figures on the road

evilshyt
Regular

November 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whoa... $10,000?
or do you mean $99,999?

if it were 10k, you've got a bargain! (for an imported ex-race car too, nothing less) if it were $99,999, i'm sorry to say this, but you got ripped off!

Very Happy
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Can I please have a look at the photos you were givin?
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 02:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sorry

its a seeklet
no piccies

Very Happy

and its between 10k-20k. and thats all im going to tell you
Smile

so anyones actual opinions?? whats the first mods?

[Updated on: Sun, 06 July 2003 02:44]

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 02:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First things first, Get the alarm Sad Also want more info on that alarm that you speak of.
Then get suspension as it will most likely be fucked.
Then give me a ride Cool
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 03:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh

well the alarm is just what i want really
havent found a product that does what i want yet

and you can have a ride if you want,
but i aint comin to pick you up Wink
evilshyt
Regular

November 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 03:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmmm

ae86drift,
correct me if i'm wrong, but you've mentioned that you've paid 12-13k in another post...

something about a jap racing garage selling off that trueno for a new s15 drift machine. am i right? i think it kinda sparked another thread too - about what kind of condition to expect of a 10k trueno

Rolling Eyes
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
maybe thats the price
maybe not
maybe thats the price in japan?
maybe thats the price before rego and compliance

Wink

ill leave it to you to work it out
evilshyt
Regular

November 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
alright...
i didn't plan on going this far
but since you have CLEARLY forgotten, i'll remind you:

Quote:

im laying out 12k for my 1986 86 kouki trueno landed and registered with new tyres/cat/belts etc.

its a lot for a 20 yr old car. but its pretty spec'd out.full revolver suspension+bars .fightex coilovers + trd springs/struts, toda internals, trd shifter and close-ratio box. re-welded chassis, cage, ssr wheels, kaaz 2 way lsd, immaculate BLACK interior (one of my REQUIREMENTS, red...UGH) j-blood kit

lets say it makes the c-red one look tame

LANDED YOU SAY!!!!! Laughing
and here it is in in all its glory:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?rid=1665&am p;S=5ab2c187f56922aff52fb898a59c0810&t=msg& ;th=12697&pl_view=&start=0
evilshyt
Regular

November 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 03:39 Go to previous messageGo to next message
anymore maybe's ??
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 03:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hehehe. shhh. ok ok u got me. i knew someone would find it eventually. haha oh well.
Very Happy Laughing Embarassed

but it works out about $1500 more exxy because of freight costs going up and storage costs in japan (while its waiting to be shipped) but yeah, thats the spec list from the car.
not sure how modded it is in way of engine internals and stuff.
i can only tell whats moddem from what i can see from the few photos i was given and the evaluation sheet.

i suspect, it being an ex-race car and all, it will have been thrashed, quite vigorously, but i do plan to keep this car for many years and restore it back to near-new state. so really, i just need a good straight body to start on.

Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 06 July 2003 03:52]

evilshyt
Regular

November 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
haha just pulling your dick,
no hard feelings..

btw, thats an awesome price for that level of modification...
however did you get past import laws?
i heard that imports had to be bone stock nowadays?
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 03:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Damm that sounds like a nice car. I really want that ride now Shocked
evilshyt
Regular

November 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 04:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i bought my jdm gt apex for under $5k delivered to my doorstep.
i also bought a straight-bodied aus-spec vehicle to combine with all the goodies from the gt apex - simply cos i don't trust the condition of a thrashed drift car.
the existing modifications are pretty light, i figured thats the reason why it passed import laws.

[Updated on: Sun, 06 July 2003 04:14]

ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 04:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the laws are

and car older han 15 years can come in
regardless of make model whatever.

(these laws are to provide a good trading ground for new aus delivered cars, so if nothing of new make or model can be imported, this means everyone has to buy locally = more money for ford holden toyota aus etcetc. so if ithe car in questionis more than 15 years old, good chance it wont compete with local deomestic cars = no problem importing)

but is suspect with these mods, passing the RTA tests will be tricky... Sad

ill probably have to remove the cage or get it engineered, in which case they will probably tell me to piss off and get an Aus regulation one instead.

its all pretty aOK for complaince and pinkslip, just a few adjustments and things should be ok
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 06:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
evilshyt wrote on Sun, 06 July 2003 13:48

haha just pulling your dick,
no hard feelings..

No No No
So you pull his dick and then you say not to have any HARD FEELINGS??? Hmmmmmmmm hehehe

Nice list of mods already done....... you really know how to make a man go moist!! Rolling Eyes

But seriously dude........ in my perspective...... if the body and chassis is in great condition, big thumbs up...... engines can always be rebuilt, suspension can always be changed and interiors can always be reskinned!! Remember what I said... send me pics!!!
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 07:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah ... waiting for the car to arrive as well ... Smile

Still, I'd hoist it up just to make sure it's not a cut & shut job - I have heard a lot of things about cars like this coming out from Japan due to the economic pressures which cause car shops to do this. However, if it's been inspected twice already, then it can't be bad although you'd be surprised how good some shops are at hiding things. Simple black paint can hide rust holes covered up with fibreglass from experience ... Rolling Eyes

Still, AE86drift - as your first car, you may find that it may not quite handle like a modern car, it's 20 years old afterall. I'm used to cars like this having driven older ones like MG's and mini's so an AE86 is a step up. However it may not have the ride comfort of newer cars like Skylines etc. An AE86 is not an easy car to drive but if you do so at its limit, then you can basically drive anything hard.

Also, it sounds as though you're ready to inject at least $20k to bring the project to a point where you'd be happy however I doubt you'll recover your money if you ever decide to sell it. My best advice is to drive it in its current state and really decide if this is a car you'll keep for years. If so, then go ahead and splug all you can on it. Very Happy

Only saying this as I've already gone down that path - won't be selling mine as I'll never get my $$$ back on it.
shcao
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 08:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah.. I'm sick of people thinking that the AE86 is a simple cinchy car to master and drift. I know too many dickheads who go "i'm sick of the sprinter, mastered it, now moving on to something faster"...

The AE86 is a DIFFICULT car to drive at it's limit. You simply can't take short cuts when drivin it. Everything has to be done with proper technique.

It's also very customisable too. I also get annoyed with assholes who reckon they've 'maxed out' their 86 with a '100kw redtop' and king springs. THey've totally missed the whole point of the 86. It's not about simply speed and sitting low. To appreciate the 86's true potential, you have to do proper suspension mods, etc. The number of customisation on the 86 is limitless compared to other cars.

So the next time someone says that it is EASY to drift in an 86, tell em to get f***d.

Pro drivers say that an AE86 is a good car to learn in. Not because it's easy to drift, but because it teaches PROPER driving techniques. And as Haro said, if you can master the 86, you can pretty much drive almost any sports car well. This is because you've mastered the techniques of real driving.

and oh.. AE86Drift: Go the alarm mate Smile Smile

rock on. Smile
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 10:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
A Sprinter for over $10,000? I'd want a car skilled in the art of fellatio for that kind of money.

I don't mean to come across critical here... buy whatever makes you happy and don't let anyone tell you that you're not entitled to... BUT... what exactly does this car have that makes it cost four times an equivalent Australian model? Or any other 20 year old four cylinder car, for that matter?
Dodgy_Haro
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Initial D ... Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Ah ... I keel myself Stimpy! Rolling Eyes
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i dont know why i want it so much.
just really appeals to me Smile the configuration options you can do.. so many things! and it looks so sporty and cool. i spose im just the toyota equivalent of a monaro nutter. no real reason other than i love ae86's Smile

and i was thinkin alarm too shcao.

dodgy > i have driven many cars,a 85 corona (what i learned in, OMG a heap of shit... all coronas must die), barina, excel, and ive driven an aussie 86, levindrifta's, its a nice car to drive even when *dead* stock, im not one for plush luxuries either so im not worried

oh and dont worry, as i said before, even if it has got slight damage, if it needs repair for rust and body work it will be done atriaght away, off with the shit bits, and onto the hoist for repairs

worst comes to worst and it turns out to be really screwed
ill just have to buy an ae86 shell from aus and transfer the panels Very Happy. im RESTORING this car first and driving it second
...if that makes sense?

(edit) spelling *slap*

oh and if youve "maxed out" a sprinter expect to have "maxed out" your wallet, my mods to do list comprises of 11 separate modification stages over 5 years (with spaced 6 month testing periods) with approx $38000 worth of mods to be done (including labour)

as i said, im serious Smile

[Updated on: Sun, 06 July 2003 12:11]

evilshyt
Regular

November 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 12:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i'm inclined to agree with ae86drift's above comments...

7M-Brisbane, sure it does sound pretty expensive but ae86drift is getting an absolute classic - maybe not to the common aussie automotive nut, but it is much loved by the japanese (and that means a premium).

initial-d aside, IMHO the ae86 is a very special vehicle. naturally, the purchase of a performance car really depends what you intend to do with a car - different cars will outshine others in different areas. but for an entry level all-round balanced performance car, i dare say that you won't find a package that compares to the jdm ae86.

why? cos:
- it has excellent weight distribution and geometry
(meaning you get to really apply serious weightshifting techniques)
- very responsive, very revvy and lively engine (think 4age rep!)
- is an excellent platform for modification (alot of race support)
- nimble and agile - even with stock suspension
- it is light, which enhances all the above
- economic sense: its non-turbo, low and relatively cheap maintenance, drinks less fuel than larger engines, and is toyo-tuff!

the japanese still do many tricks with this model to this very day... new modification parts are always available. the japanese can't be completely insane for still enhancing a 20 y.o. vehicle! no doubt, there are cars out there with similar features, and others that will absolutely cream the ae86 at the lights, but you won't find a more well rounded package at its price... but thats a matter of opinion. i personally think your buck goes further in an ae86.
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Sun, 06 July 2003 13:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
and also
im not one to race in the red light grandprix, so i dont really give a damn! Very Happy

anyone even been to nsw royal national park going to bundeena at 3am?

..."perfect"!

even my gf's mums suzuki baleno loved it Laughing
teeheehee

and evilshyt, so true, and so many reasons why im getting one Smile
MR PLOW
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Thu, 10 July 2003 09:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what a mad cunt but $38000 wow thats a shitload ofr that car so it will look very sexy and im guessing going very hard. but who carse what you spend on it as long as you don't lose it.
i say the alarm first then suspensionas i have worked on alot of fresh imorts stragit of the boat and yeah. than go crazy.

the plow has spoken
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Thu, 10 July 2003 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what has been your impression of most cars straight off the boat?

generally ok? or bad things?
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Thu, 10 July 2003 13:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

all coronas must die

TAKE THAT BACK!!!! Mad Mad Mad Mad
Shteeve
Regular

July 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Thu, 10 July 2003 13:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
evilshyt, i think you can get a better rounded package than a sprinter for 15 grand....
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Thu, 10 July 2003 16:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ae86drift wrote on Sat, 05 July 2003 13:23

keep in mind i already have: a pedal set, mp3 headunit

screw an mp3 head unit, this is the bad boy I'm getting for my sound system
http://www.nomadworld.com/products/jukebox_zen/

60GB of musical bliss thank you Smile
They only sell the 20GB ones here, and they cost around $750. In the states they sell 60GB ones for 400USD which at current exchange rates is about 600 AUD. Lucky I have some american relatives Smile

It only does mic out, but you're a total audiophile you can get the http://www.nomadworld.com/products/jukebox3/ Jukebox3 which has full lineout at 98dB. I'm abit more of a looks junkie and being as its smaller and also comes with a bigger hard drive I'm going for the Zen Smile
Stumbles
Regular

June 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Fri, 11 July 2003 00:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Every car that I see come through our warehouse normally the owners are always heaps happy ...

The only thing to watch is to make sure the shonky blokes at the wharf havent removed certain bits like gearknobs, stereos, spare wheels etc etc (which happens heaps)

We had a FTO a few months ago that was missing steering wheel, gearknob, stereo, pedals, airfilter, spare wheel ... and they even took the road flare !

but if its in its own conatiner your sweet
ae86drift
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

August 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Fri, 11 July 2003 03:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what the fuck?
how can they get away with it??
tempest
Regular

April 2003
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Fri, 11 July 2003 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i personally would get it alarmed, it would be a shame(understatement)to have it stolen.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Fri, 11 July 2003 06:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If your in brisbane then a friend of mine is a a authorised QuickTrak installer and alarm fitter.

highly reccomend it

in our company we are looking to start up Navtrak (i work for Minorplanet.com.au we specilise in fleet veh mainly.)

worth a look!
MR PLOW
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Fri, 11 July 2003 09:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah man with being a container they shouldnt be touching it to much me thinksbut if i was importing something myself i would be a the docks waiting for it as the boys that remove them of the boats rip the cunts out of them stone cold but shit happens i hope with yours it don't as you got no warrenty but as i said it should be ok
Stumbles
Regular

June 2002
Re: First Thing to Do after your car arrives from japan? Fri, 11 July 2003 23:46 Go to previous message
you'd be stupid not to put it in a container ...

Ive seen first hand dipshits at the wharf driving cars around docks... apparently you need to drive at 6000rpm to take a car 100 metres from a ship to a warehouse .... then if it gets damaged its a case of "thats how it was sent mate"
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:How to remove an engine from the back of a truck?
Next Topic:Imported FRP Landcruisers in Melbourne?
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 19:21:47 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0082900524139404 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.