Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » 18RG installed but still ?????

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
18RG installed but still ????? Tue, 01 July 2003 12:05 Go to next message
I had my "18RG" delivered on friday afternoon (8 months later),
it turns out it is an 18RGEU, with "Solex Mikuni Kyogo" carbs retro fitted to it for some unknown reason.
I installed the engine on saturday and am now trying to get everything sorted.

1. The engine is on a bit of a slant leaning back towards the gearbox, only slight, but noticeable, is this normal??

2. The gear stick seems to hit the centre console when going into 1st, 3rd and 5th, any suggestions why?

3. What type of Carbies are these? the good, the bad, the throw away?

4. Where does the rocker cover breather hose go to? there is a rather large pipe coming out of the front of the intake manifold above the front carbie, is this where it leads?

5. the oil sensor plug (bottom, front driverside of block) won't come undone, anyone else had this problem, how did you get it out, other than lots of WD40?

6. Because it is an GEU engine there was no mechanical fuel pump for the carbies, I have mounted an electric pump against the boot tyre well, above the diff, has anyone else mounted theirs in this spot and have they had any problems with this spot?

7. Does the little hose fitting at the back of the back carbie go to the carbon filter?

8. Does the brake booster vacuum come from the back hose in the centre of intake manifold (a prick to get to)?

9. What bHP do you reckon, 2 1/4 exhaust, rampods on the carbs, nothing else special, 130HP??

That is about it.

I am going to try to start it up tomorrow, once I get the carbie linkages working, even without the exhaust connected past the exhaust manifold.
  Send a private message to this user    
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Tue, 01 July 2003 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Its seams you will have some learning ahead of you. These engines go as well as any other 70's engine, but the basic rules still apply.

If you ordered a "18R-G", that generaly implys a 18R-G engine with sidedraft carbies as standard. The fact the particular engine started life as a "18R-GEU" EFI engine is neither here or there. The engine is still exactly the same for the most part.

Solex Mikuni carbs are the standard issue for 18R-G and 2T-G engines, and are a godd thing. Let me know before you throw any stuff away!!! I like to collect sidedrafts for spares.

You can use a breather hose from the cam cover to your air filter box if you want. Just vents back into the intake.

Brake booster hose goes to manifold vacuum, which will be a connection of the No. 4 intake manifold runner, or just any intake manifold hole, no difference where. Block all unused holes up, don't want a vacuum leak.

You should be able to fit a mechanical fuel pump still, just get one from a old 18R-C engine. Otherwise make sure the electric pump is for carbs, not EFI.
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Wed, 02 July 2003 03:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

You can use a breather hose from the cam cover to your air filter box if you want. Just vents back into the intake.

Youll find it actually sucks air in from there if your PCV valve and hose is setup correctly.
The vent on the cam cover without the PCV valve should do to the air filter to make sure clean air is pulled into the crank case.
The vent with the PCV valve should go to your intake manifold.

Quote:

6. Because it is an GEU engine there was no mechanical fuel pump for the carbies, I have mounted an electric pump against the boot tyre well, above the diff, has anyone else mounted theirs in this spot and have they had any problems with this spot?

I think youll find that 12V low pressure pumps will be happier mounted in the engine bay than near the fuel tank.
It might not cause you any problems having it back there though.

Quote:

7. Does the little hose fitting at the back of the back carbie go to the carbon filter?

Yep.
Well either that or to the vacc advance on the dizzy.

Quote:

8. Does the brake booster vacuum come from the back hose in the centre of intake manifold (a prick to get to)?

If its the one im thinking of, that could be for the PCV valve vent instead.
If the PCV vent if allready connected to the inlet manifold, then yes.

Quote:

I am going to try to start it up tomorrow, once I get the carbie linkages working, even without the exhaust connected past the exhaust manifold.

Is gonna be noisy... at least youll know its running Wink
Good luck.

If you want a hand with anything, send me a PM.
I dont think i live too far away from you, and i like getting my hands dirty Wink
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Wed, 02 July 2003 03:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
We've got the brake booster running from the balance tube so it will be more regular, and yes it works like normal this way.

1. Yes, the lean is normal, ours does it too.

2. Have you got a W55, W57, W58 gearbox, when we put ours in the stick hit the console in the same way, we had to cut and weld to fix that.

3. If these carbies have the choke heaters then they are the late model, they should work if someone hasn't played funny buggers with the jets like they did with ours. We've just put on a set of originals and will see if they work once the head gasket prob is fixed. Note, choke heaters - unpopular ones.

4. Cam cover breather hose goes to the air filter, cops don't like those retor fitted breather filters, so I would definately go for the air filter choice.
The big hose from the manifold (balance tube) if it takes a u-turn goes to an electric/vacuum activated emission control valve that mounts on the cam cover right next to the carbies. We fixed our up to work.

5. Ours came out OK and we replaced it with a shiny new one.

6. 18rc machanical pumps should go in no prob, but take note that the part numbers are different.

7. Does the little hose fitting at the back of the back carbie go to the carbon filter, YES, it does.

8. We've got the brake booster running from the balance tube so it will be more regular, and yes it works like normal this way.

9. If you're going to start it with just the manifold then you'll want the idle speed up a little more than usual, the ignition timing set on twelve degrees btdc and you'll want some heavy duty earmuffs, I almost went deaf when we did this and I was standing at the front of the car. These things are really f**king loud.
As for the exhaust, I wouldn't go over a 2 1/4" as you will probably end up losing bottom end power/torque on a 2 litre engine.

are you using the gearbox that was originall in the car?
If you are then this conversion should not make any difference to the stick position.

Here's what I meant by the electric/vacuum activated emission control valve.
http://www.toymods.org.au/cgi-bin/photo/index.cgi?album=/Events/2002+Easter&mode=viewpicture&picture=Rod_18RG_in_GTV_Celica.jpg
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Wed, 02 July 2003 03:57 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Try again with the photo.

http://www.toymods.org.au/cgi-bin/photo/index.cgi? album=/Events/2002+Easter&mode=viewpicture& ;picture=Rod_18RG_in_GTV_Celica.jpg
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Wed, 02 July 2003 04:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I wouldn't say anything about the retro fit of the carbies to regency as they might need you to get a complete emissions spectrum test for change of intake set up (they don't like that).

The complete emission spectrum test would cost you about $4000 and can only be done at Mitubishi Motor Company.

If the cover plate on the front of the engine says 18RGEU then rip the sticker off and sand it back like it was never there!

If they ask about the carbies just fein ignornace and say "It came like that".
There's another reason to get a mechanical fuel pump, to hide the inconsistency.

Make everything look as close to the photo as possibly, that is what you're aiming for, and you best chance of getting it passed.

RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Wed, 02 July 2003 07:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thank you. That photo is handy, if anyone has any other close up photos of their 18RGs I would much appreciate it. or if anyone in adelaide would let me visit them to have a look??
email: harap002@students.unisa.edu.au

resolved issue 2. The centre console was a spare I inherited from the previous owner, I put it in because it was in better condition, on closer inspection- it was from an auto, I have changed back and now there is no problem.

sorry, by throw away I meant the ones that can't be rebuilt, I was just using the term that i have heard thrown around on this site. I do not intend on throwing them away anytime soon.

The electric pump is not an EFI one. I was told the RC mechanical pump doesn't have enough flow for twin carbs, damn, too late now the electric pump is mounted and operational ($120 later). It says on the box to mount near fuel tank and not in engine bay- temperature needs to be below 60°C.

The car already had 2 1/4 exhaust on the old engine, I am just going to be joining it up, not getting a new one myself.

Don't understand the PCV bit. I will pm you M.W.P.

The thing won't start, it cranks slowly but won't kick, I keep having to swap batteries between the cars, charging one while draining the other trying to start it, the starter seems to be working, it is just slow.
Do you reckon this just needs time and a highly charged battery or could I have missed a connection somewhere.

Still no oil gauge Sad

[Updated on: Wed, 02 July 2003 07:31]

RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Thu, 03 July 2003 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
just in case someone does a search looking (as I did).

The thermostat housing off a 79 crown/cressida fits well on an 18RG.
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Thu, 03 July 2003 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
18rg won't start eh?

been there before.

have you primed the carbies,
have you (roughly balance them)
are your idle adjustments high enough,
are your idle adjust screws out enough but not too much.
the first time we started my brothers we had to do it with two, yes, 2 batteries.
NOTE, if you do this with all the electricals attached you will probably blow your voltage regulator and everything in your car.

Jump start it with two batteries and no cables to any other part of your car.
short out your starter with a screw driver across the bolts on it. It will sound horrible but it should work better than anything else.

I would also pull the carbies apart a little (don't want to damage the gaskets) and make sure they aren't full of shit.

One our our sets was so chockers with crust it couldn't possibly have worked, it took me over a day each to get them cleanish.

oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Thu, 03 July 2003 04:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fwiw, i have one of those crap plastic body low pressure electric pumps (Fuel Flo i think) mounted close to the tank.
also have filter between tank and pump. i find it is fine, and having it close to the tank decreases chance of vapour lock in the lines, even the they are reasonable at sucking.

i'd say to put it close to the tank and preferably below tank level if possible... also make sure that there are no air leaks between pump and tank as the solid state pumps get very noisy when pumping air (tells ya when you need to fill up tho Wink )

should be fine.
Cya, Stewart
inferno
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Thu, 03 July 2003 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It definately helps to have high current for the starter while cranking for the first time. If you've got another car, trying connecting the batteries together and giving the other car a rev (steady 3000rpm) while cranking your engine.

Also try checking timing by putting the engine to TDC by turning the crank pulley by hand, and taking the dizzy cap off to make sure the rotor is pointing just after first spark lead. i wouldn't play with the timing until you know its definately not set.

most problems ive had getting mine going for the first time is electrical (coil has power, spark from leads?), then possibly the carbies being way out of tune.

I've mounted my fuel pump by drilling holes through the plate just behind the axle, and mounted it towards the fuel tank. just make sure none of the lines or pump hit the diff or axle and you'll be right.

Sounds like your close. Goodluck.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Fri, 04 July 2003 03:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"6. Because it is an GEU engine there was no mechanical fuel pump for the carbies, I have mounted an electric pump against the boot tyre well, above the diff, has anyone else mounted theirs in this spot and have they had any problems with this spot?"

This is where i have my EFI lift pump mounted, and it seems to be fine, yet noisy hehe.

Yeh when we tried to crank mine for the first time it drained a Brand new 480cca battery!!!! and kept doing this until we resolved every little efi problem, and gave the battery a good charge and a jumper battery too! it started first time then, but it took about 2 mins to die!! (damn timing chain, about 1.5 cm stretched)

If you want any pics of my motor or anything involved in the setup drop us a PM and il email them to you,
Check out:
http://photos.yahoo.com/fat_tony99

then tell me if you'd like any pics in the proper hi resolution.

I still havent got my motor up and running yet either, just got the head back from Chris Miltons getting the new intake valve seats cut, and the valves fitted.

Hopefully should go on today/this weekend, just hope my new timing chain is nice and tight.

Good luck with it mate,
hope it all goes well

Guy
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Fri, 04 July 2003 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Black RA28,

What size valves do you have?
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Sat, 05 July 2003 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I cant recall the exhaust valve size cos they were fine. they are standard size, i think its 38.-something isn't it??

The inlet valves that came out were 45mm(face)x107(L)x8.5
BUT the ones that i finally sourced from Stewart Wilkins Motorsport, which he said were all standard across the 18RG range, had a 44.5mm(face).. But this is only 0.5mm and is usually tolerable in a standard engnie. They we only 13.50 each too which is a good price.
CelicaRA45
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Sun, 06 July 2003 00:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ra28 midge i have a gt18rg air box that will fit this car complete i wont 150 and it has all the holes that you need
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Sun, 06 July 2003 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks Guys,

I still can't get the prick to start. To the mechanics tomorrow i guess.
I even tried putting some petrol in cylinders 1 and 3 to get it going, no luck, I think the battery was too dead by then. I was getting a puffing sound that I think was because the timing was so far out the exhaust valves were open during ignition, but it starting raining and was late at night and the battery was dying so I have given up trying myself, professionals it is.

What have people done with their exhaust set ups? does everyone have to get extractors? The standard manifold flange plate won't fit to the RG's exhaust manifold and nothing is similar across the toyota range.
just more and more drama's

I saw your airbox for sale. it is tempting, but I will wait to see if i get the car passed its inspection without, if I need it i will be talking to you next week.

Cheers
A
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Sun, 06 July 2003 07:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool, that is what I wanted to hear. My brother's head has the large valves, great!

The exhaust ones are supposed to be 38.5's incase you were dying to know.
blackRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Mon, 07 July 2003 04:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
"What have people done with their exhaust set ups?"

i had to get new pacemaker extractors because my engine didnt come with any exhaust manifold, and 18Rc extractors dont line up.
From then on, we just cut the old 2" exhaust piping and it fitted perfectly over the 2 inch pacemaker outlet pipe(clamped), this goes all the way to the end where i have a fucked muffler from my old motor.
I think this setup will last about three or four days... Im going to get new 2&1/4" or just 2" piping with a cat and at least one resonator or two.
not sure whether to have a small cannon at the back, as i dont want to attract attention or get defected..

Also im not sure how loud it will be...... hehe
Steve M
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Mon, 07 July 2003 05:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I rang you early this afternoon, was gonna drop by and see if I could be of any assistance, you were probably out getting it fixed, right?

Anyway I was looking at my brother's Regency form and I found their checklist, I thought you might want to know what is on it. Not all of it applies to your project but a lot of it does.

1. Lights
2. Wipers/washers
3. Warning device (horn)
4. Number Plate
5. Windscreen/windows
6. Seats/belts
7. Body
8. Mirrors
9. Steering
10. Suspension
11. Wheels/tyres
12. Oil/fuel/leaks
13. Chassis
14. Exhaust/emissions
15. Tail shaft strap (you can search me as to what this is, I wouldn't have a clue!)
16. Service Brake
17. Park brake
18. Emergency stop
19. Transmission
20. Demister
21. Taxi meter (Taxi's only I would think, I know for sure he didn't check ours!!!)
22. Fire extinguisher (we didn't have one, not a problem)
23. Noise
24. Tow Coupling
25. LPG (for an 18rg, please, you've got to be kidding)
26. Comfort/Cleanliness
27. Other

I hope this helps you get it passed first time mate.
Snyper
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Mon, 07 July 2003 08:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm, why are you taking it through regency ?! when you don't really need to ?!

Brendon
RA28midge
Regular

September 2002
Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Tue, 08 July 2003 02:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Because the car was initially defected for rust (it wasn't bad i think the last owner was just an idiot who was asking for trouble). now that is all fixed.

I would take it through anyway, I don't want the insurance hassles.

Does anyone know how to by pass these choke heater things or do they have to be rigged up for the carbies to squirt?
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Tue, 08 July 2003 04:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
RA28midge wrote on Tue, 08 July 2003 11:43

Does anyone know how to by pass these choke heater things or do they have to be rigged up for the carbies to squirt?

The chokes are obviously there to give easier cold starting.
Get them working properly otherwise youll end up either not being able to start the engine, or it being a real bitch to drive for the first 15mins.

If its an electric choke, wire it to your ignition.
If its coolant heated (ugh), use T pieces to connect it into your cabin heater hoses.
Its it manual (yay), run a cable to your dash.

BTW... why did you need this exst manifold plate to be made up?
Wouldnt it have been easier to cut off the flange and weld it?
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Tue, 08 July 2003 04:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
M.W.P.
Do you know how these work because the ones on one of my sets of carbies are stuffed and i cant find info on how they work anywhere?
M.W.P.
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Tue, 08 July 2003 06:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Jason wrote on Tue, 08 July 2003 14:11

M.W.P.
Do you know how these work because the ones on one of my sets of carbies are stuffed and i cant find info on how they work anywhere?

What carb/type of choke?
Jason
Forums Junkie

December 2002

Re: 18RG installed but still ????? Tue, 08 July 2003 06:19 Go to previous message
solex's they have what looks like a porcline disk with copper tracks on it, one of the disks is broken as well. I put a post up here a while trying to get some info but it seemed nobody knew anything about them and what they did and how they worked.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Sump damage
Next Topic:Acceleration vs Top Speed
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon May 13 16:29:07 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0049610137939453 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.