Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Wheel alignemtns Tue, 08 July 2003 05:36 Go to next message
What does everyone recommend for wheel alignments for each car?

as in how much camber/castor/toe in/out for what car does what and works for them? and what not to do?

just a thought.. would like to gather some specs on this.

Send a private message to this user    
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: Wheel alignemtns Tue, 08 July 2003 05:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
tell us what u use the car for, drag, race, rally, etc.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Wheel alignemtns Tue, 08 July 2003 05:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
circut race mostly.

im after suggestions for an ae86

but also curiours to know what other people run on other cars
oldcorollas
Forums Junkie

January 2003

Re: Wheel alignemtns Tue, 08 July 2003 05:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
to start the ball rolling....

positive camber is not good Wink the pre 70's rollas came with this and is not reccommended.

for castor, between 2 and 5 degrees +ve, more gives you more stability at higher speeds

for camber, maybe 1 to 3 degrees -ve. depends on the car and the amount of body roll (which is why you have camber). too little and you will be on the outside of the tyre under hard cornering, too much and you'll be on the inside of the tyre.

more camber also increases inside tyre wear for straightline running and will slightly decrease braking performance (which is maximised by no camber)

toe-in? more toe-in increases stability, toe-out helps turn in, esp on FWD cars..

for my car (69 sprinter, road usage) i have about 1.5-2 deg -ve camber, about 3 deg +ve castor and for toe-in, i measure it so that a straight line from the inner face of the front tyre, is about 15mm in from the inner face of the back tyre.

tyre wear is even, has good turn in and stability, especially compared to stock settings of +1 camber and about +1 deg castor..
Cya, Stewart

ps, if any stuff i said above is incorrect, lemme know as that's just my ideas Wink
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Wheel alignemtns Tue, 08 July 2003 08:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats the kind of response i'm looking for!

anyone else care to share?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wheel alignemtns Tue, 08 July 2003 08:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For my road regoed CoronaMk2, I am running 2.75 degrees negative camber, 4 degrees of caster and a sniff of toe out. It's hard to turn, wears the insides of the tyres slightly, but is quite stable.
For the sprint Mk2, I am running 4.75 degrees negative camber and about 4.25 degrees of caster. Turn in and mid corner grip is phenomenal. I haven't driven it enough to tell you what the tyre wear is like.

EDIT: Of course, uprated springs, wider tyres, new shockers etc were all added at the same time, so the transformation from old setup to new was incredible (and dependent on a whole host of things rather than steering geometry setup alone).

[Updated on: Tue, 08 July 2003 08:32]

celicaboy
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Wheel alignemtns Sun, 13 July 2003 00:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
you would want anywhere from 2-4 dagrees negative camber depending on how hard you wanna hook it into coriners 2-5 dagree positive caster for stability at high speeds and 0 to +1 mm toe so it wont dig into the ground when cornering.. maybe a lil bit of negative toe would help.. it will wear the shit outa ya tores but it will handle well around corners.. yad be better off gettina strut brace and sway bars installed as well that will all halp with the handling of the car and obviously some fat wheels and tyres... the v8 super cars run from 4-5 dagree neg camber.
wilbo666
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wheel alignemtns Sun, 13 July 2003 02:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Tue, 08 July 2003 18:23

For the sprint Mk2, I am running 4.75 degrees negative camber and about 4.25 degrees of caster. Turn in and mid corner grip is phenomenal. I haven't driven it enough to tell you what the tyre wear is like.

Whoa thats a lot of -ve camber! Do you have a pic because that must look mad!

Cheers
Wilbo

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Wheel alignemtns Sun, 13 July 2003 04:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shitty pic:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/JZX23/front.jpg
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wheel alignemtns Sun, 13 July 2003 06:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For the AE86. You can wind up the caster easily yourself. For track work, just wind up the caster as much as you can untill the tyres nearly hit the gaurds when turning. Caster should be the same on either side to stop it wanting to steer one way, but with lots of caster this is not so much of a problem.

For camber you can't do anything unless you get adjustable strut tops or something, maybe lengthen the control arms. For track, go alot of negative camber, like 3 degrees. For street and some track 1.5 degrees will be fine.

Mostly, and for street, toe-in shoul be right on zero. Toe will wear your tyres heaps if its not right. Camber will not realy wear tyres like people say. When on the track, you will find you wear the outside of the front tyres. To compensat, use a little toe-out, and you will get more even wear. Make sure you put the toe-in back to zero for the street, or you will wear the inside of the tyres heaps.
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Wheel alignemtns Sun, 13 July 2003 11:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thanks for that!

yeah i am running adjustable camber tops so that isnt an issue.. i may chuck some sigma control arms in there and see how that improves camber as well Wink

as with castor.. any tips for a DIY home adjusting job and ensureing both sides are spot on?
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wheel alignemtns Sun, 13 July 2003 13:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DIY wheel alignment is what I need.

just went and got my alignment done - it came back better but still wasnt right. (guy said it was way out originally) - I went back the next day and they fixed it up a bit more but its still not perfect.
I figured I wouldnt bother them anymore as they had helped me a second time for no charge. But I want this car spot on - and I think it only needs a little tweak but am not willing to spend another $50 for him to turn a thread 1 turn.

the car is pulling left - so how do I correct it? - more caster/less caster???? or something else?
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wheel alignemtns Sun, 13 July 2003 23:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If the car is pulling left, the caster is probably uneven on either side. Its not a matter of more or less caster, just getting it the same on either side. For standard specs you realy need a wheel alignment machine to get it right.

But, by giveing both sides more caster (lots of caster), you will hide any little tendincy to pull one way. The more caster you have, the less accurate you have to be with getting both sides the same.

If your car is not bent, you can get it fairly good just buy counting the number of threads on each side. With my KE55 (similar to AE86), I had adjusted the caster up to as far as it can go. I think I had to back it off a little with 195/60/14 tyres so they didn't rub on the gaurds when turning.

Remember to adjust the toe back to zero after doing any of this. I have managed to get the toe ok just by bending down, closing one eye, and using some thoughtfull techniques to get it god enough. Most will need a wheel alignment machine again for this.
trent_kershaw
Forums Junkie

September 2002
Re: Wheel alignments Mon, 14 July 2003 00:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
will altering the wheel alignment affect ride comfort at all?
Jonny2TG
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wheel alignments Mon, 14 July 2003 03:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Having lots of caster will pull the steering wheel to one side a bit only when hitting pot holes, going over railway tracks etc. Otherwise ride is only effected by springs and shocks.
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Wheel alignemtns Mon, 14 July 2003 03:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sun, 13 July 2003 14:21

Shitty pic:
http://members.optusnet.com.au/gianttomato/JZX23/front.jpg

hehe havent noticed it before but it looks like Dame Edna! Razz
Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Wheel alignemtns Mon, 14 July 2003 12:25 Go to previous message
Here's extremely good link, heaps of info and lucid animations: http://www.rctek.com/handling/

It's for RC cars but basics are same for real size cars.

Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:can these K&N's be cleaned
Next Topic:4age - 4agze crank strength differences..
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 13:52:37 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0048828125 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.