Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
NO-18r
Regular

May 2003
icon10.gif  3t-gte in ta22 Fri, 04 July 2003 02:26 Go to next message
im sure there have been countless posts about then, and yes i have searched for some and found this website http://users.senet.com.au/~mezz/3tginfo.htm but now, I'm just asking for confirmation about different things...

the main question is what is needed from other cars to get the 3tgte in a ta22, and it basically bolts in, but with moving a engine mount, and making one smaller, but with a stronger gearbox this website said a tail shaft from an later but still old celica (auto), would i be right in suggesting ra23? and also gearbox mounts from an auto again ra23? and brake upgrades will ra23 front and ra40 back be enough to get it engineered? and the throttle cable, off a corona st141 will this do?

im asking this because, i have a ra23 auto sitting in my shead, and the max im going to get for it is $300, so i was thinking if it would be worth it to just wreck it and use the parts i need, as i would have to buy these again... how much for the tail shaft, diff, gearbox/tail shaft mounts, front and rear suspension and brakes??? should i just keep the ra23?
im thinking yes, then sell it as a wrecked car when im done with it.

any help would be appreciated, and if someone could tell me step by step install that would also come in handy...

cheers
Shane
  Send a private message to this user    
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Fri, 04 July 2003 02:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the front and rear brakes of a RA23 and RA40 are the same.
NO-18r
Regular

May 2003
Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Fri, 04 July 2003 03:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
im just sayen, is it worth keeping the ra23 and using bits for the ta???
mr_ice55
Regular

April 2003
Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Fri, 04 July 2003 03:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If I was you, i would keep the car for the parts you need, it will save u looking round for the parts at a later date and waiting to sell the car, im not sure to how much it would cost to buy the brakes etc seperatly, but thats just my opinion.
NO-18r
Regular

May 2003
Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Fri, 04 July 2003 10:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep thanx for that, the problem at hand is that i can sell the car for $300 in a week to a mate of mine whoes pretty keen on it, so i might just do that and try to find a ta22 with a 3tg in it allready... Very Happy see what hapens

anyone else have suggestion?
Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Fri, 04 July 2003 11:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok my cousin did the exactly same swap nearlly 5years ago so here goes.

1. Engine mounts need to be custom to fit the 3t-gte in. you proberally alreday know this. He used the mouting brackets onto the block from the 2t and one mount from the 2t and the other the 3t.
2. front clearence becomes a problem while the engine isnt any longer you will have to move the raidator forwards by about 1-2inches. All we did is cut the front bar across the raidator and more it back about 2inchs. then stick the oil cooler infront of that. you will need a thermofan aswell.
3. About the parts...i dont think you will need them. If your going to get a full half cut of a 3tgte then you wont need them at all. My cousin need no other parts.
4. Now about the gearbox i dont know my toyota's that well about gearboxes but he had a supra 5sp dont ask me what from though and it bolted straight up. i think it was virtually a direct swap from the supra into the ta22 by memeory.
5. Brakes ? who needs them:P personally i would try to go for 3tgte front discs and callipers.

Hope that gives you a idea. as for the wiring it took him about 2 weeks to grapht the 3tgte harness to existing wiring. In the end it was only two wires around the wrong way.. then it would rev to 3k then drop off Sad BTW- he used the supra diff by memeroyy i think it was a LSD.

good luck Smile
tanman
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Fri, 04 July 2003 11:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The only change needed to mount the 3TG is to the left hand mount. You can use the original T50 gearbox and it will all bolt together. If you want a Supra box you will need a custom tailshaft and crossmember. As for the radiator there is no need to move it forward. If you mount the engine correctly and toss the original viscous fan for a thermo it will fit fine.
Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Fri, 04 July 2003 11:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well the 3tgte we swapped was mounted properally and all but still only left 1inch clearance from the raidator with out the fan on. So we moved it forward and put in a thermo fan.
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Fri, 04 July 2003 11:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mazda626 wrote on Fri, 04 July 2003 21:43

Well the 3tgte we swapped was mounted properally and all but still only left 1inch clearance from the raidator with out the fan on. So we moved it forward and put in a thermo fan.

I dont understand this as the 2t and 3t blocks are the same size externally Confused
Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Fri, 04 July 2003 11:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thats what it took i know for a fact.

The oil cooler was moved to behind the raidator sorry made that mistake.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Fri, 04 July 2003 14:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You said yourself the 3T-GTE isn't longer than the 2T, and yet you claim front clearance becomes an issue? Something doesn't add up!
Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Fri, 04 July 2003 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Norbie wrote on Fri, 04 July 2003 22:41

You said yourself the 3T-GTE isn't longer than the 2T, and yet you claim front clearance becomes an issue? Something doesn't add up!

Maybe about 5years ? i wasnt into cars very much back then so i can only remember so much. maybe it wasnt even a 3tgte engine...i know if came from a 85 Celica Turbo so im assuming 3tgte. it was a jspec engine.
thetoyman75
Forums Junkie

Club President
I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Tue, 08 July 2003 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Shane,

Simon (The writer/owner of that site) has done the work himself. You can rely pretty safely on any advice he offers on it.

Tailshaft - If you use the W55 (standard 3TGTE bow) then you will have some mounting problems. There are two versions of weather or not it fits. Sad Either way you want a TA22 Auto gearbox Cross member, the Gearbox mount from a manual RA23 and the tailshaft is a bit iffy. However an Auto TA22 or ANY RA23/RA28 shaft should be the best starting point. They are all the same length. (TA22 Auto is a 1 piece Shaft)

Brakes - RA23 Brakes suck ! They are not much bigger than those on the TA22 and honestly not worth the effort. The struts are also longer so you will raise the front of the car. You canget a custom setup done on the stock struts or pout in something from alater model. If you want the Cheapest way out try the RA60 struts, at least they are vented. (They will also raise the front of the car and require shortening to be spot on - Hence most people fit the Corona struts and do the Peugot/Hilux upgrade)

RA40 rear brakes are the same as TA22 rear brakes, its a 9in drum it doesn't need to be upgraded ! If you do want to upgrade, go to Disks ( A 10" drum is too big for the weight of the car and you brake bias will be up the shit !)

In short Sell the car for your $300. A tailshaft at the wreckers should be sweet bugger all (I think I paid $20) and the mount second hand will also be cheap. In fact inyou shop well the $300 should get you a set of Corona Struts (RT132 ones have an 11" solid disk) a TA22 Auto Crossmember & Tailshaft and an RA23 gearbox mount (Manual)) So you will have the right bits and no wreck in your back yard !

oh and you DO NOT have to move the radiator !
NO-18r
Regular

May 2003
Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Wed, 09 July 2003 00:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
beautiful... thats what i wanted to hearhttp://ausrotary.dntinternet.com/forums/images/smiles/bounce3.gifhttp://ausrotary.dntinternet.com/forums/images/smiles/bounce3.gifhttp://ausrotary.dntinternet.com/forums/images/smiles/bounce3.gifhttp://ausrotary.dntinternet.com/forums/images/smiles/bounce3.gifhttp://ausrotary.dntinternet.com/forums/images/smiles/bounce3.gifso now that ive got all the information, all i need is the damn car and engine!!! but there is still a big chance ill go 13b, as heaps of people say 3tg's are a waist of time...
roger
Regular

June 2002
Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Wed, 09 July 2003 01:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cool1,

I did as Mazda 626 suggest the viscus fan found on the 3tgt will interfere with the raditor, but if you take the lip off the cross brace on the raditor support panel about 1cm and it fits nicely.

The right hand side 3tgt mount is the same as the 2t mounts, the 3tgt mount is different as the turbo oil return goes through it. If you modify the oil return you can mount it on the 2t mounts if you use the 3tg mounts you need to move the engine mount on the crossmember out by 10mm.

gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 3t-gte in ta22 Wed, 09 July 2003 03:15 Go to previous message
hey tanman, what's the pic in your avatar, is it a real car, or a photoshop jobby. It looks awesome, I guess by the bug catcher it doesn't have a 2T/3T in it.
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:GT4 Fuel Pressure Regulator
Next Topic:2jz-ge
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Mon Apr 29 19:37:50 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056869983673096 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.