Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Car Trailer Sun, 27 October 2002 11:43 Go to next message
OK

I'm building a car trailer. Or rather Ron (GF's Dad) is gonna build one.

He's just built a couple of bike trailers, and has been helping me with my conversion (he does the work, I hand him tools).

Now. He has found a trailer that he thinks he can convert into a car trailer. Total cost ESTIMATE is $800.

I'm going to foot the whole bill.

I'm looking for people to go in with me. More people, less money. Was hoping to get 8 people, so $100 each. Then if anyone else wanted to borrow it they could put a nominal fee in ($50? for a day/weekend?).

I might be able to keep it at my place, or at Ron's, or if someone else wants to hold it, I'm happy with that, can work something out.

Who wants in? Call me if want more details 0408 235547. yes I know that toymods is doing their own trailer, but its not a car trailer (which everyone wants) and I don't think its moving fast.

This will probably be ready in a week. Maybe 2.

I'm sick of paying for tows with tow truck drivers that don't care about scratching bumpers etc.
  Send a private message to this user    
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Car Trailer Sun, 27 October 2002 13:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
First of all, this is a cool idea and I'm sure that heaps of ppl would use it... However, a lot of ppl, like myself, probably don't have a towbar or another car to tow theirs with... This could be a problem for some of us...

Secondly, where would the trailer be located??? Like where abouts in Sydney???
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Sun, 27 October 2002 22:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I live in Picnic Point (SW Sydney). Havn't told my parents that I'm getting one built, I might just not tell them and then chain it up out the back, they might not notice.

Surely you can find someone with a towbar to tow your car behind. Everybody has to know someone with one.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 01:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i might be interested pete... but u live soooo far away
and i don tknow if il need it that often

but i will definitely think about it
dylusion
Regular

May 2002
Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 01:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
HKSPete wrote on Sun, 27 October 2002 22:43

has been helping me with my conversion (he does the work, I hand him tools).

Nicely done... Laughing

[Updated on: Mon, 28 October 2002 01:35]

SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 02:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The point is, that no one is going to use one day to day, but they will need it occasionally, if its known that you can get access to one, then your more likely to use it.

I don't know about other people, but when I get a tow it usually costs $50 (I know some of the guys at the towing place). If I got 2 tows, then that'd be the same as going in for the trailer. When I've gotta get my exhaust done, I need to get it there, leave it there for a few hours (days - hope not), then bring it home - $50 each way, or have own trailer.

Dylusion: I'm honest Smile without his help I'd have no chance ... or be really slow.
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 03:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Would it have a winch on it? For those rolling shells?
I have to admit you do live a fair bit away, but it's a really good idea. Maybe for those people that are closer to you.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 03:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Could put a winch on I suppose. Depends who goes in and who needs it for what.
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah pete... i might do some considereing... but my problem is gaining acess to a car with a towbar that can drag more than a few hundgy kilos
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 04:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Theres always someone who can help out with a towball.

Its easyer to find a towball then it is to find a car trailer.
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I have to get a new exhaust on mine aswell... I might need the trailer actually... The only problem is getting a day where the trailer is free and when my dad can tow the car...
Sprocket
Regular

October 2002
Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 05:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It almost sounds like you need to arrange a car AND a trailer that everyone can use! Wink
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 05:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Rolla boy, trust me, it'll be worth having one, and I might even be able to help with the towing some times (I'd be happy to help when I can).

As yet, theres not going to be much demand on the trailer, so you've just gotta talk to your dad about it.

Sprocket: I'm good, but I'm not THAT good. ... but I'll look into getting a towbar for the supra.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 06:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
eeeccckkk car trailers!!!
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 07:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
whats the problem with the car trailer luke??

yeah pete, fvck it! ill go in on it... how long till it gets done. and yeah a winch would be useful
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok, thats 3 of us. Need more people!

Am gonna try and get sponsorship from my105.com too. So that might be another $200, but I'm not holding my breat (nice people, just don't know if they do this sorta thing).

Would probably take a week or two weeks to build.
kerr
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sounds like a great idea. Count me in.

Benny, you're forgetting about the Cruiser dude... I'm sure it could handle towing the Corolla home from its first cruise. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pete, make sure it's ready before Rolla Boy gets on the road!!

Lastly. Not being a drone - but who would be responsible for maintenance/repairs?? Would it be a case of you break it, you fix it?
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car Trailer Mon, 28 October 2002 10:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
witzl, I'll tell you next time a i see you, it involves a car trailer and a half cut and a certain 180 spin on a certain highway on certain weekend that just passed... I forgot to mention a certain no stopping sign aswell.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Tue, 29 October 2002 03:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, thats 4 people @ $100 each.

I've told Ron to go ahead and start building. Should be ready by not this weekend, but the next.

Still need more people in though, as I'm out $400 (on top of my $100)
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Tue, 29 October 2002 04:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
damn luke, that does not sound cool... and if it's what i think it is.. then very not cool Crying or Very Sad
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Car Trailer Tue, 29 October 2002 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
kerr wrote on Mon, 28 October 2002 21:29

Benny, you're forgetting about the Cruiser dude... I'm sure it could handle towing the Corolla home from its first cruise. Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pete, make sure it's ready before Rolla Boy gets on the road!!

Hahaha!!! Good one moron... I hope that doesn't happen...

[Updated on: Tue, 29 October 2002 07:54]

kerr
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car Trailer Tue, 29 October 2002 09:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That's not very nice Ben. Sad I will remember that...
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Wed, 30 October 2002 22:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Saw Ron last night, and told him that it needs a winch and needs to be able to fit bikes nicely too.

He's going to start building.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Mon, 04 November 2002 03:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Need more people.

Trailer should be ready by this weekend!

Any choice of colours???
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Car Trailer Mon, 04 November 2002 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Match the colour of the Kerr's celica seeing as it's never going to be ready...
kerr
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car Trailer Tue, 05 November 2002 10:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I say match the colour of Ben's Corolla. That way they will match, and the Landcruiser blue will be a lovely contrast. Laughing Laughing Laughing

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Thu, 07 November 2002 00:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
pete... can we PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEASE paint it camo colours?? with type R stickers? and RED racing stripes, and mags???
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Thu, 07 November 2002 05:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trailer is finished, needs rego and a jockey wheel yet.

Good news - Ron took pics! I'll scan 'em and put 'em up maybe tonight (maybe).
Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Car Trailer Thu, 07 November 2002 17:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
It's finished already Shocked Shocked Shocked ???

Nice work...

Put the pics up asap...
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Thu, 07 November 2002 23:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry, no pics last night. on weekend for sure.

also, colour will be black off the production line, then Karl if you want to later we can do it cammo or something, but its gotta be the snow cammo! (blue, white, bluey-grey)
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Fri, 08 November 2002 00:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
sure mate!! well make a "paint the trailer and Karl's POS day"

have to do this soon too!!!

oh so many plans.. sooooo much rice to add
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Sat, 09 November 2002 07:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
PICS!!!

http://www.vss.com.au/supra/trailer.html

Need more people.

Remeber:
If people hire it off us the profit gets split between the "partners" of the trailer.

Also, will be you break it you fix it, or whatever it costs to fix (won't cost much usually) then you're liable.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car Trailer Sat, 09 November 2002 14:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What would someone want to bring a rolling chassis up from Sydney to Coffs Harbour on this trailer???or other trailer??
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Sun, 10 November 2002 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You mean $$ wise?

I might be interested. I've gotta pick up a commodore from up that way as my GF totalled it. Problem is its going through insurance, so don't know when.

When did you need it?
kerr
Regular

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car Trailer Sun, 10 November 2002 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
How soon were you looking @ getting it up there??
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car Trailer Sun, 10 November 2002 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well depending on how much you would want to get it up here really?? And when this guy can finish with the car.
Sorry to here about the car is your GF alright??
Where abouts did it happen??
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Car Trailer Sun, 10 November 2002 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
looks good!!! what brake setup ya putting/got on it?

i could have used one last week, oh well not to worry
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Sun, 10 November 2002 22:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hey pete, this is one thing i forgot to ask mate!

did you think about car ride height when designing this trailer? because the trailer i rented to go down to canberra came VERY close to scraping the bottom of my nice new RA28 (with standard ride height)when driving it up the ramps!
so yeah, is the trailer pretty low, and/or does it have long ramps to compensate for our low-rides?

just an afterthought mate, im sure you have it covered! Very Happy
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Sun, 10 November 2002 22:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Brett: Yeah she's ok, thanks. I think it was near Taree or something?? Happened about 2 months ago, but insurance is stuffing round so no idea when we can go pick it up (don't hold off picking your car up for this one as it might not happen at all!)

Craig: It was originally a caravan and has the impact brakes or whatever they're called.

Karl: There are ramps as well, but also the actual trailer tips up. If you loook VERY closely at the pics you might be able to see some small wheels at the end of the trailer, if needed the trailer can go all the way back and then will slowly tip back as you drive your car up (apparently has been tested).
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Mon, 11 November 2002 00:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
interesting...... Cool

Rolla Boy
Forums Junkie

Club Member

May 2002
Re: Car Trailer Tue, 12 November 2002 02:34 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So does that mean that the trailer will be sort of like a see-saw??? Like when you start to drive up onto the ramps, the front of the trailer will lift off the ground???
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Tue, 12 November 2002 02:36 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Apparently, yes.

I'll do some more testing when I've got it home, and will take some pics with my supra on it.
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Tue, 12 November 2002 07:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
UPDATE!

Trailer will be registered this thursday, and at my place friday.

colour is .... white - as I post this its getting primer on by RON. Apparently when it went for its blue slip it was mostly white at the time, so thats what they wrote down.

It passed blue slip no worries, just had to stamp a new chasy number on it.

Don't have any new photos though.
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car Trailer Tue, 12 November 2002 09:50 Go to previous messageGo to next message
So how much for one of you keen toymodders to deliver a car up here for me???
THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Tue, 12 November 2002 11:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i million dollars Shocked
rollaboy
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Car Trailer Tue, 12 November 2002 22:40 Go to previous messageGo to next message
THE WITZL wrote on Tue, 12 November 2002 22:40

i million dollars Shocked

Let me think about it. Laughing
wagonist
Forums Junkie

Toymods Club Treasurer

May 2002
Re: Car Trailer Wed, 13 November 2002 00:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
What do you want delivered? And when?
I'm heading to Qld for Christmas & New Year, but my towbar isn't that heavy duty to take a complete car plus the trailer.

THE WITZL
Forums Junkie

Toymods Social Secretary

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Thu, 14 November 2002 02:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
erm... im sure the KE50 can tow it... if i glue a tow bar on the back... Laughing

well i will be up that way early next year anyway. but i cant tow anything
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Thu, 14 November 2002 05:37 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Trailer is rego'd!!!
SupraPete
Forums Junkie

July 2002

Re: Car Trailer Tue, 10 December 2002 05:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Car trailer works well!!

Had the Fairy on it down to my place, and then from my place to mittagong. Towing behind Ron's Troopie we hit 100 a couple of times, but mainly trundled along at about 85-90kms/hr.

Towes really well, except we broke the winch, so we're fixing it.
p2katwork
Occasional Poster

December 2002

Re: Car Trailer Wed, 09 July 2003 10:45 Go to previous message
mate! i wanna borrow your trailer
contact me asap on 0415 804 167

Cheers
Eli
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Echo With Airbags