Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
celicadbz
Occasional Poster

May 2003
icon10.gif  5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 09:45 Go to next message
i have recently got hold of my first mk2 supra, a friend of mine who also like's supra's, has a factory standard 6 pound turbo, complete with turbo dash, exhaust etc.
i have driven the car myself and would like to know what would be better to buy, the turbo to go onto my 5ME or a 5MGE.

p.s. which of the two engine's would have the more power?

if people could please get back to as soon as possible
email me at triptek@iprimus.com.au
  Send a private message to this user    
82MKII
Regular

July 2003
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 10:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If my memory serves me right, the 5ME was 140hp, and the 5MGE (early ones) was 145hp (later ones up to 160hp).
Also one of the local guys had a hell of a time trying to turbo a 5ME - as soon as he swapped to a 5MGE all his problems went away.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 10:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
If you must do this, turbo the 5MGE....the 7MGTE stuff bolts straight up and is easily found. However finding MTE stuff nowadays is like looking for rocking horse shit.

That said, I'd avoid doing either (unless you are really keen) and just swap in a 7MGTE. It is a very well travelled road here in Australia.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 11:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
The twin cammed 5MGE should theoretically always make more power including with a turbo over the single cammed 5ME.

Plenty of guys have done this in the states, they usually start with a 6MGE (3L 12v)and add 7mgte gear.

The problem will still still remain that a jerry rigged fuel system will be required.

The 7mgte swap makes more sense, or you can go the road less travelled (but well documented) by and look at a 1jzgte swap.

Remember to budget for a head gasket swap when looking at the 7mgte, this bring the price line ball with the 1j.
Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 12:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I havnt been able to find much on 1jz-gte into mk2 supra conversions
little bits here and there
but nothing that i'd call well documented(well not in one place anyways)
celicadbz
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 12:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Is it possible to modify the 5M-E wiring loom to fit a 7M-GE into a MA61 supra.
Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 12:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Better off getting the 7MGE wiring loom. I dont think the 5ME wiring loom could be modified to suit the 7MGE. I could be wrong but i would very doubt that it could be.

BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ask away about the 1j and someone will help you.

7mge wiring loom is you friend.
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 13:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mazda626 wrote on Fri, 11 July 2003 22:31

Better off getting the 7MGE wiring loom. I dont think the 5ME wiring loom could be modified to suit the 7MGE. I could be wrong but i would very doubt that it could be.

You are wrong.

Please stick with your Mazdas. You stuffed 3 M engines. Please don't contribute to the demise of more with your 'wealth of experience'.

Yes, you could modify your 5ME wiring loom to run the 7M. You would need to modify the dizzy to be a mechanical advance unit....basically this would involve gutting the 7MGE dizzy and fitting the innards of the 5ME dizzy. It might cost around $1-150. You might also want to run the 7MGE which doesn't have the dual entry plenum just for simplicity. You would run the 5ME air flow meter.

That said, you would do better to run it with the 7MGE loom and ECU. It's a lot more advanced and not that complicated to set up.

Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 13:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 11 July 2003 21:13

You are wrong.

Please stick with your Mazdas. You stuffed 3 M engines. Please don't contribute to the demise of more with your 'wealth of experience'.

I stuffed 3 M motor's hey ? So a regually serviced 5ME with low kilometers never thrashed and does a big end bearing is what you call ME stuffing up ? The 5MGE wasnt stuffed up and is sitting in the yard ready to get sold. The 7MGE did a head gasket...after all the cooling system was done up on it.

And why the sudden change of attitude ?

Are you saying Stick with the Mazda's because you think they are worse then the toyota engines ? please explain that one.

gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Stick with Mazdas because you clearly have no idea when it comes to 6 cylinder Toyotas.

Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 13:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 11 July 2003 21:13

Mazda626 wrote on Fri, 11 July 2003 22:31

You are wrong.

That said, you would do better to run it with the 7MGE loom and ECU.

And im wrong ??
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 13:55 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yes you are. Laughing
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Fri, 11 July 2003 23:13

You stuffed 3 M engines. Please don't contribute to the demise of more with your 'wealth of experience'.

you've been on the wine tonight too havent you GT Laughing Very Happy

in my opinion, unless youve got some perverse desire to experiment with funky engine component combinations, and you get a kick out of dodgy 'make-it-work' modifications and backyard engineering (which, admit it people, is HEAPS of fun)... just stick to a garden variety engine swap : ie 7mgte

and if, for some reason, you actually want to build some crazy hybrid engineering masterpiece, plan on the research taking you some 3-4 months, collecting the various bits another 3 months, and then theres the actual build bit. once built add time for unforseen fabrication, extra bits you need to 'discover' at the wreckers, and the wad of aftermarket doodads youll need to tune the thing...

ed

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 14:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7m-gte is a nice easy swap. been done lots of times, and relatively cheaply

the 1jz-gte is a bit more involved, a bit more of a pain in the arse, and also more fun Smile (ok, I know there are 7m's out tehre that could trash my baby, but I'm shamelessly biased)
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 14:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I just worked it out. Mazda 626 is Corpse 1GEU on #performanceforums and has been pestering those poor bastards all night with shit questions about M engines.

Quote:

<Corpse_1GEU> people on toymods.org.au are assholes
* Damo318 has quit IRC (Exit: )
<AE86> why so?
<turbo_sharade> thats 400m CussCuss
<NOK^> they hate you too?
<Corpse_1GEU> yep
<Corpse_1GEU> they hate my conclusion i made about 3 M Motors
<Morgs> Massive
<Morgs> Penis
* Statts has joined #performanceforums
<zac510> youre a dickhead thats why Corpse_1GEU
<NOK^> yah they dont care about your opinion
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 14:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gianttomato wrote on Sat, 12 July 2003 00:33

<zac510> youre a dickhead thats why Corpse_1GEU

at least he can spell...
{and on ICQ thats a real talent}

anyway, lol @ mazda dude for having a cry

Quote:

The 7MGE did a head gasket...after all the cooling system was done up on it

how long does it take to remove the rocker covers and tourque the damn head bolts. i GUARANTEE you that at least 1 bolt was barely finger tight when it blew.

i stake my new engine on it....
Mazda626
Regular

June 2003

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Fri, 11 July 2003 19:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Head bolts where done up. Why the hell wouldnt they Razz Just do the cooling system so you would check that. Aswell as the thermostat heater core etc....
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Sat, 12 July 2003 01:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mazda626 wrote on Sat, 12 July 2003 05:06

Head bolts where done up. Why the hell wouldnt they

Well that proves it; you know nothing about M engines. Rolling Eyes
MS-75
Regular

June 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Sat, 12 July 2003 12:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Aahh. The age old 'M' debate. In response to the first question-I'd sat that (as others have) that probably the 1j option would be the go. If you are after some real getup&go, the 1J turbo would really be the go. 5M's suffer the eternal gasket issues-as do virtually all 'M's. I had an awesome 5M-TE. revved out to nearly 8000, 20 psi, external wategate, monster cam etc. I can honestly say that it was one of the best sounding motors I have ever been around (even if it was mine) HOWEVER-getting it to bloody seal up took ages. I got it nailed finally, but then sold it (too much cash spent!) So no-don't do the 5MTE thing. As for 5MGE, most will be old by now, so you'll have to rebuild one first most likely, otherwise you'll have it out again reasonably soon.

One suggestion is if you are not after the worlds fastest car-try an atmo 1 or 2J. They have a lot of grunt, will be really cheap and you should be able to source a low KM one. There are a number of dudes on here with good 1 and 2J experience (Norbie, GT etc). If you are going to go to the trouble of grafting the looms of a couple of different cars together-at least graft in one that's attached to a good motor!! =-)

Take it easy

Sean
Adelaide
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Sat, 12 July 2003 12:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
atmo 1J?
what did they come in?
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Sat, 12 July 2003 14:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Sat, 12 July 2003 22:42

atmo 1J?
what did they come in?

Mark 2 - they still make them and they are Japans most popular car!

[Updated on: Sat, 12 July 2003 14:31]

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Sat, 12 July 2003 14:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more fun playing with a 7M-GE than a 1JZ-GE imho. more capacity, longer stroke, more torque, same hp... unless you wanted to go nuts on an NA build and have a really high rev engine...

EDIT::

i wonder where the future lies in modifying the D-4 2jz-fse... damn thing runs 20:1 - 40:1 AF ratios and unique intake and combustion chamber characteristics. god knows how hard itll be to play with these things. hehehe, i wonder how a motec would go running one of these. check the intake port angle!! it BEGS for ITB's!!!

http://www.sae.org/automag/globalview_01-00/images/06.gif
http://www.sae.org/automag/globalview_01-00/images/07.gif

2jz-fse tech intro:
http://www.sae.org/automag/globalview_01-00/02.htm

techy intro to D-4 engine design
http://alflash.narod.ru/D4.htm

[Updated on: Sat, 12 July 2003 16:47]

celicadbz
Occasional Poster

May 2003
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Sat, 12 July 2003 22:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
what else do i need to put a 7M-GE into a MA61 supra besides the engine, wiring loom and ECU.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Sun, 13 July 2003 01:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
celicadbz wrote on Sun, 13 July 2003 08:53

what else do i need to put a 7M-GE into a MA61 supra besides the engine, wiring loom and ECU.

- front sump and front oil pickup (can swap these bits off the 5me)
- all the engine accessories: ie AFM, injector resitors, fuel pump resistor and relay
- 7mge/w58 clutch (although the 5me will fit if you want it to)
- make sure the exhasut lines up to the manifold

realistically, thats about it. its basically the same story installing a 7mgte, minus the intercooler and piping.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Sun, 13 July 2003 13:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ed wrote :
Quote:

- front sump and front oil pickup (can swap these bits off the 5me)
- all the engine accessories: ie AFM, injector resitors, fuel pump resistor and relay
- 7mge/w58 clutch (although the 5me will fit if you want it to)
- make sure the exhasut lines up to the manifold

whats the deal with the fuel pump relay and resistor - cant you just use any old 12V efi pump?

also is it posible to use a 5me sump on the 7mgte - dont they have some sort of different oiling system to the 7mge? the 7mgte has a hi vol pump so you'd need a custom pickup wouldnt you?

also the 7mgte only came in soarer and supra didnt it? are there any differences in sump or are they both mid sump config?

cheers.
ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Sun, 13 July 2003 13:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisss wrote on Sun, 13 July 2003 23:09

whats the deal with the fuel pump relay and resistor - cant you just use any old 12V efi pump?

its not an issue to do with the fuel pump itself, its how you intend to switch it on and off. this is normally switched by the afm +loom from the 5me, but since your throwing these bits out with the conversion, youll need another way to turn the fuel pump on, yes?... the 7m does this through the engine loom via a relay and resitor block located on the RHS wheel arch.

also is it posible to use a 5me sump on the 7mgte

yes - total interchangable

dont they have some sort of different oiling system to the 7mge? the 7mgte has a hi vol pump so you'd need a custom pickup wouldnt you?

nope, theyre identical. the pickup needs to be swapped from the 5m to be used with the 5m's front belly sump.... and itll work just fine with the 7m oil pump, cause its the same as the 5m pump Razz

also the 7mgte only came in soarer and supra didnt it? are there any differences in sump or are they both mid sump config?

no idea Smile
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Sun, 13 July 2003 13:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ms75 wrote:
Quote:

One suggestion is if you are not after the worlds fastest car-try an atmo 1 or 2J. They have a lot of grunt, will be really cheap and you should be able to source a low KM one

this talk along with others that Ive heard about cheap 2jzge's dosent seem to be actuallity in my (limited) experience.
a quick look this sat netted me : $1500 for a bare engine, $2000 halfcut no dash + damaged hydraulic fan.

ed_ma61
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Sun, 13 July 2003 13:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
chrisss wrote on Sun, 13 July 2003 23:18

this talk along with others that Ive heard about cheap 2jzge's dosent seem to be actuallity in my (limited) experience.
a quick look this sat netted me : $1500 for a bare engine, $2000 halfcut no dash + damaged hydraulic fan.

youre not looking hard enough.

plus the price sarts to drop when youre holding the cash in front of them...
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Sun, 13 July 2003 13:25 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I hope im not looking hard enough yet. the idea of rebuilding a 7mg(t)e does not appeal.

*fuel pump - I figured youd still need the relay which is given the signal by the ecu but whats it need an additional resistor for???
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Sun, 13 July 2003 14:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
7M-GTE's run the fuel pump through a ballast resistor at light to moderate engine load, then at high load the resistor is bypassed. I think the idea is to prolong the life of the fuel pump and/or reduce noise.
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Mon, 14 July 2003 02:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i got quoted $995 for a 2jzge the ther other day with cut loom.
thats not too bad considering the power.

how come no-one ever talks about dropping in an atmo 1J?
is it just easier to do a turbo 1J?
are they expensive?
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Mon, 14 July 2003 02:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message

5MTE in Perth? That must be Rob's Smile
Whatever engine you decide to whack in there, try to get it done by Summer! There's a swag of us in Perth doing conversions on Mk2 Supras atm, and I'm hoping we can all get together later in the year to compare notes. Good luck and have fun!

- Justin
JZA-61 in production
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Mon, 14 July 2003 04:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
STR8 2.8 wrote on Mon, 14 July 2003 12:28

how come no-one ever talks about dropping in an atmo 1J?
is it just easier to do a turbo 1J?
are they expensive?

Why would you bother with an atmo 1JZ? It wouldn't be any better than a 6M-GE, but much harder to install!
STR8 2.8
Forums Junkie

February 2003
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Mon, 14 July 2003 04:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeh well thats what i was wondering
i didnt noe anyhting about atmo 1j's
ReQuieM
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Mon, 14 July 2003 05:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Don't quote but i think the soarer has the front sump like the MA60 supras. its been a bit since i was thinkin bout that stuff tho, Very Happy
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Mon, 14 July 2003 06:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No it doesn't. I looked at a Soarer front cut when I started my engine conversion project and it was totally wrong for an MA61 (mid sump I think). Luckily there was an Aristo front cut right next to it! Smile
Celia-Sue
Forums Junkie

October 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Mon, 14 July 2003 07:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message

But one of the V8 Crowns has a front sump!

- Justin

Just throwing some petrol on the fire Razz
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Mon, 14 July 2003 08:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Crown Majesta and LS400 1UZs have front sumps.

Supra/Soarer JZs (and 1UZs) have a mid rear sump.
chrisss
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Mon, 14 July 2003 12:47 Go to previous messageGo to next message
more quotes today for 2jzge's

rolin auto

1/2 cut 2jzge manual $4200
1/2 cut 2jzge auto $3800
bare engine $1500

were those 1/2 cut prices supposed to be turbos?

oh he also quoted a 1jzgte at $2200 (1/2 cut)

I know which I would go for!!!!

im getting consistant pricing on 1jz's but 2jz's are all over the place.

also 1uz's are consistantly in 2-2.5 range.
BlackSupra
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Mon, 14 July 2003 13:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That would be 2jzgte from rollin.
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Mon, 14 July 2003 14:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yup... Rolin are advertising a 2JZ-GTE auto front cut (Aristo) for $4400. There's no way you'd pay anywhere near that much for an atmo engine!

http://www.japparts.com.au/products/stock-arriving 2.html
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Mon, 14 July 2003 21:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Definitely GTE. Naturally asthmatics go for 1500 maximum.
ReQuieM
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 5M-TE or 5M-GE Tue, 15 July 2003 10:08 Go to previous message
musta been the 1UZ i was finkin of, that was one of the plans for my MA60, now to see the light tho! Evil or Very Mad
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:HELP URG! jza70 dif blown?
Next Topic:RA60 Engine swaps
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 23:48:42 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0081920623779297 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.