Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Russel
Newcomer

July 2003
3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 05:27 Go to next message
Is this conversion possible? and what gearbox would you need to replace the 4WD one with?
  Send a private message to this user    
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 05:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Uh oh... Not again.....

Go here:
http://forums.toymods.org.au/index.php?t=msg&g oto=124055
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 06:54 Go to previous messageGo to next message
No its not possible Rolling Eyes Or is it Confused
fergo308
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 07:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Like anything,it's possible if you're willing to throw (read WASTE) enough money into doing it.

you'll want a supra gearbox,and the EVERYTHING around both the engine and the gearbox is going to be custom. basically,you buy a sprinter for $3k,a half cut for another $3k or so,and then you spend the next year or two and $15-20k making it work,and the end result will be no faster than a mildly tuned S15 silvia.
it'll only be good in a straight line,and even that is dubious.

if you want a turbo car,go buy one. enough said...

Justin...
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 07:19 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Sorry Cant agree with any of that. Nope not one bit.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 07:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK to give u an idea of the costs, my st162 that had a 3sge I'm converting to a 3sgte,(should be done in a few weeks). It bolts straight in so i don't have to change cross member or mounts. The half-cut cost me $2.2k, it came with a 4wd box and i need FWD and my box the start was mounted in the wrong place, so a new box was $700(camery V6 sv21), the other box that i could use was the MR2 turbo box but i had a bit of trouble Mad locating 1. The labour to install will end up being about $2.5k. A new Exaust (3")to handle the turbo will be about $1k. The clutch on the half-cut was worn to the BS, so i'm getting a custom made Brass button clutch made which cost me $950. While the engine is out i am having the water pump replaced(it needed it) and the seals done, as well as some other parts costing me about $1k toyota genuine. And i still need to get it engineered which will be around the $1k mark.

So think about it before you start i thought it would be about $2-3k cheaper Shocked .
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 07:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
WTF?

OK everyone other than nark stop giving advice right now please.

Russel have a bit of a search of the forums converting a 3S-GTE to RWD has been covered many times and there is a heap of info on it floating around the forums begging to be searched

as for the info given above by fergo and draza (no offence guys), ignore it, because it hasnt got anything to do with what your interested in doing.

anyways once u have had a good search come back and we'll be happy to answer any leftover questions u have on the swap. Smile
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 08:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Wed, 16 July 2003 17:59

OK everyone other than nark stop giving advice right now please.

What about the people that are doing this conversion as we speak? Confused
rob_RA40
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 08:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah yeah i know your doin 3S TA22 but u were not giving any dud advice (technically u were not giving any advice at all) so i thought it would be wrong of me to gramatically pimp slap u Very Happy

Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 08:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ok i'll add some info again.

3S-GTE in sprinter? = Yes possible.
Gearbox? = w57/58
Bellhousing? = 2S modified
Flywheel? = Denpends on bellhousing.
What will the car handle like? = As good as any other sprinter with any other engine.
How much? = About 8k if you do all the work.
Is it worth it? Meh probably not but picture this:

You and and someone else(who also has a sprinter) are talking and he says "I got a 4agze in my beast", well you can say "well I got a 3S-GTE in mine" Schmuck" Very Happy
Toobs
Forums Junkie

I Supported Toymods

December 2002

Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 09:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
You can do this with no more than an angle grinder and some hot glue...

We have also managed to put a 1U into a Kawazaki KX80
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 10:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
fergo308 wrote on Wed, 16 July 2003 15:04

Like anything,it's possible if you're willing to throw (read WASTE) enough money into doing it.

you'll want a supra gearbox,and the EVERYTHING around both the engine and the gearbox is going to be custom. basically,you buy a sprinter for $3k,a half cut for another $3k or so,and then you spend the next year or two and $15-20k making it work,and the end result will be no faster than a mildly tuned S15 silvia.
it'll only be good in a straight line,and even that is dubious.

if you want a turbo car,go buy one. enough said...

Justin...

absolutely nothing writen here is true, 'tis all lies i tell ya!
advice should not be given unless the person giving it ......HAS A CLUE!!!!!

Cyber-punk
Forums Junkie

February 2003

Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 12:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
rob_RA40 wrote on Wed, 16 July 2003 16:42

yeah yeah i know your doin 3S TA22 but u were not giving any dud advice (technically u were not giving any advice at all) so i thought it would be wrong of me to gramatically pimp slap u Very Happy

HAHAHAH
Poor Cool1...i'm sure some people value his imput Rolling Eyes
Cool1
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods
Banned User

May 2002

Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 13:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Cyber-punk wrote on Wed, 16 July 2003 22:44

rob_RA40 wrote on Wed, 16 July 2003 16:42

HAHAHAH
Poor Cool1...i'm sure some people value his imput Rolling Eyes

Dont be like that or I'll start expressing my desires to to treat you like a shotgun Confused
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 15:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
i was only giving him an idea on how costs can blow out, i take no offence, those are the prices that i paid and am expecting to have to pay so they are accurate.
SPEEDCORE
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 23:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
gabe wrote on Wed, 16 July 2003 20:56

Yeah I have a big clue......... go a nissan engine and box!!
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 23:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm working on putting an ST185 3S-GTE engine in my RA28 at the moment. I can't see it being THAT different from putting it in a Sprinter.

Yes some custom work is involved.. But it's all possible..

So far i've spent :

ST185 3SGTE engine $400 (with a spun bearing)
Forged pistions $800
Shot peened rods $200
Custom flywheel $450
2S Bellhousing, sump, oil pickup, starter motor, mounts, slave cylinder, clutch fork etc $400

Now I need a custom turbo manifold and inlet/plenum made up. Allowing around $1600 for this.

A nice GT30 450HP turbo $1950

Already have an Autronic SMC to run it.. So that gets rid of the problems with the dizzy running into the firewall etc.

Already have a W55 box in the car that'll probably stay unless I can get a W58 at reasonable price.

So it does add up, but i've done stuff such as forgies and larger turbo that isn't necessarily required.

The aftermarket ECU is a big cost.. You can run factory gear but need either to put a hole in the firewall, or get some sort of black box that can supply the correct signal to the ECU and setup some coil packs.. I'm sure someone else will have more idea on this than I do as I haven't looked into it as will be running the Autronic.

The engine normally sits at a 15 degree angle also. The 2S stuff helps right it.. But the inlet manifold then tends to sit too high. Thats why I'm going with a custom one. But you could probably just cut the original item down.

There is some fabrication but it all is possible, all has been done before.. I saw a very nice sprinter with a 3s-gte in it in SA.

Depending what you can do yourself, i'm sure you could get out of it for around $10,000.

Cheers
Joel
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 23:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
SPEEDCORE wrote on Thu, 17 July 2003 07:05

gabe wrote on Wed, 16 July 2003 20:56

Yeah I have a big clue......... go a nissan engine and box!!

totally agree. 100 per cent.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Wed, 16 July 2003 23:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Thu, 17 July 2003 09:14

The engine normally sits at a 15 degree angle also. The 2S stuff helps right it.. But the inlet manifold then tends to sit too high. Thats why I'm going with a custom one. But you could probably just cut the original item down.

Actually, the engine sits at 35 degrees. Using a 2S bellhousing will sit it at 15 degrees, which is considered by all to be good enough for oil drainage to occur.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Thu, 17 July 2003 00:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Really.. you learn something every day Smile

I thought it sat flat, and i've been looking at adding extra oil drains from the head to the sump.. Maybe this isn't going to be necessary..
gabe
Forums Junkie

June 2002
Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Thu, 17 July 2003 08:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
TurboRA28 wrote on Thu, 17 July 2003 07:14

ST185 3SGTE engine $400 (with a spun bearing)
Forged pistions $800
Shot peened rods $200
Custom flywheel $450
2S Bellhousing, sump, oil pickup, starter motor, mounts, slave cylinder, clutch fork etc $400

can i ask where you got your forgies from?? as i will possibly need some and 800 seems like a good price
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: 3S-GTE into AE86 Sprinter Thu, 17 July 2003 23:25 Go to previous message
Mine are CP pistons, they came from a group buy that went on in the US. So got a good discount as lots of sets were ordered to bring the price down.

Cheers
Joel
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Drop tank ???????????????????
Next Topic:4AGE extractors
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sun Apr 28 15:03:27 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0056791305541992 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.