Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » engine idas 3S-GE/GTE?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
icon8.gif  engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Thu, 17 July 2003 06:26 Go to next message
Blew My motor today, I have an ST162 with 3S-GE. Looking at either getting a replacement 3S-GE/GTE.

Does anyone know any import places in the Sydney/Canberra area where I could pick up one of these engines.

If, and I do mean If I was to get a 3S-GTE what kind of things would I need to do in the Install:

I would use standard gearbox (for the moment)
Would I need to muck around with the computer? (maybe full ST165 computer)

any other things?
  Send a private message to this user    
DannyGT4
Forums Junkie

Toymods Board Member

May 2002

Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Thu, 17 July 2003 07:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message

lol... you're not going to be able to just bolt in the 3s-gte

do a search because its been discussed before... here's an
example

stick with the GE or buy a gt4 unless you're prepared to spend plenty of money and time on it

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Thu, 17 July 2003 12:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I kinda know that there would be a lot of complications. It's just the idea is so temping.

But I don't mind sticking with the Standard 3S-GE It's a nice engine.

Does anyone know where I can pick one up, weckers/importors in the Canberra to Sydney area and In Between.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
icon5.gif  Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Thu, 17 July 2003 13:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hey Wiso,

Sorry to hear you blew the 3S-GE.

How did it happen ??

Cheers
T.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Thu, 17 July 2003 16:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso wrote on Thu, 17 July 2003 22:27

I was out out wakefield park today for the track run and it started to burn oil real bad so I pulled into the pit lane but on the way in when I touched the accelerator a massive rattle came from the engine. Turns out because of lack of oil the bearings siezed up.

I know, I know it is kind of my own dumb fault, but I did check the oil and top it up before I went out for that session. Embarassed
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Thu, 17 July 2003 17:04 Go to previous messageGo to next message
when i blew mine it was doing 110 in second up hill, can we say red line.

wiso, unless u r willing to spend about $9k on putting in a 3sgte don't bother.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Thu, 17 July 2003 22:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiso,

If you buy a half-cut with ECU and wiring it should be fairly easy.(me thinks)

There's a dude who's put a 3S-GTE into a Wide Body Camry on these forums.Why not ask him. His name is turbocamry. Lives up Newcastle way.

I can't see how it would cost $9K when you can get a half-cut for say $2.5K ???

Cheers
T.

[Updated on: Thu, 17 July 2003 22:16]

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Fri, 18 July 2003 02:22 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok if ur going to do the work ur self it will be alot cheaper.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Fri, 18 July 2003 03:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yeah I rarely let ANYBODY work on my car but myself. So I will be transplanting it myself.

Yeah I was probably looking at getting a 165 half-cut and using that.
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Fri, 18 July 2003 04:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats crap about your engine bro! Sad
it doesnt cost $9k i know a few ppl that have done the conversion and had mechanics do it for them and it was $5k including engine.
But yeh your probably better getting the extra cash and buying a ST165 for about $9k
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Fri, 18 July 2003 05:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ok to break down the cost so that ppl stop telling me that i am wrong. Here are the costs(for me):
- $2000 halfcut(st185) $200 to have it sent to syd from QLD
- $950 new clutch (brass button 5 puck, with custom pressure plate)
- $1000 3"exaust (thats what i have been quoted)
- $650 reco'ed sv21 box(couldn't find an MR2 turbo box)
- $600 new water pump, seals, timing belts, etc
- $2100 is the expected total labour(3 1/2 days work)(wiring harness needed to be modified st162 car, st185 harness)
- $1000 engineers cert.
- $120 bonet scoop(for top mount inter cooler)

extras not needed but getting done
- $200 GREDDY turbo timer.
- $120 K&N air filter.
- $1000 insurance and rego.

i'm sure if ur doing it ur self u can do it for a lot cheaper, look at these prices and yes the conversion alone cost about $4500 but that won't have it street legal or running how i want it to.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Fri, 18 July 2003 06:45 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thats a comprihensive list:

Have you done that conversion have you?

$1000 bucks for a 3"exhaust, that must be some specy exhaust
already got a bonnet scoop, besides the 165 motor has a water-to-air IC so a scoop isn't nessecary.
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Fri, 18 July 2003 22:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3" stainless from the cat back, and i have the st185 motor so bonet scoop is required for air/air and i am in the middle of doing it atm it should be done in about 2 weeks(plus time to get rego).
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Sat, 19 July 2003 00:43 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Thanks for that list Draza that should help a bit.

How long has it taken you to do the conversion up until now?
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Sat, 19 July 2003 02:53 Go to previous messageGo to next message
1000 for a exhuast is pretty cheap

im looking at $1600 for a complete system mine for what i want to do including dump pipe, mufflers and cat ..
( draza PM me on the exhaust - i might have a 2.5 ish AVO cat back system up for sale soon of my gt4 )

Seriously - either swap in a 3sge like what you have - or save up the few extra thousand and get yourself a st165/185

Save yourself the hassle and the dollars - Draza is right - it isnt a direct swap over - theres Lots of other niggly things to go around the block

i think theres MR2 driveshafts in there somewhere as well - i may be wrong - it could only be for the 184 conversion

a nice st165 will set you back about the 9K mark - and are little weapons - 185's range from between 10 - 14 K for a super clean one ( i payed 11 for mine - was for sale for 12.5..)
Plus you get the extra handly goodness of AWD and stronger gearbox/diffs for big HP modifications
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Sat, 19 July 2003 05:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Wiso mate, new avatar! didn't recognise you Smile

Dude I am sorry to hear about your lovely 3SGE that sux mate. From one 3S driver to anther... I drove through Canberra twice this past week... nearly got busted by cops..let me know how you go and all. I have some manuals and stuff I could photocopy bits out of if you needed.

Anyway, you GOTTA check this. if you buy it I will kill you and take your car Smile One of the most amazing 165's I have seen and I will offer you a price on your bonnet and suspension Smile

http://www.prestigemotorsport.com.au/au/stock/deta ils.asp?StockID=1079

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Sat, 19 July 2003 06:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
go the st165 !! go the st165 !! go the st165 !! go the st165 !!

Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Sat, 19 July 2003 06:59 Go to previous messageGo to next message
actually theres about 7 st165's on that page and a few cheap 185 imports - all ranging under 11K !

Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Sat, 19 July 2003 09:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the main thing that has taken so long was getting the money to pay for the conversion, i slipped the bearing about 11 months ago. if you know that the MR2 turbo box is hard to find, you have 3 choices,
-get the MR2 turbo half-cut(3sgte of course), you will get the strong box but there will be draw backs(haven't done this coversion so i don't know them)
-get the GT4 halfcut, modify the wiring harness, and use the camery v6 box or if you can find the mr2 turbo box use that.
-finally spend the extra $$$$$$ and convert the car to 4WD, this 1 will cost the most.

If i knew this when i started, had the money and my mechanic wasn't busy it could have taken as little as 1 1/2 weeks, so long as all the parts were there.
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Sun, 20 July 2003 07:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That ST165 has a frickin ST205 engine in it!!! Shocked
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Sun, 20 July 2003 11:52 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well that rules me out of bidding for that one straight away. It has a Sunroof.... Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad Crying or Very Sad
turbocamry
Regular

June 2003

Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Sun, 20 July 2003 14:05 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hi man how are ya! 9 grand for that convertion u serious? man i got a complete ST185 front cut from ICHIBARN in sydney for $2200 and i converted my camry from a 5SFE is was sooooo much fun but i have it down pat lol

it would be worth doing the convertion my 3SGTE is fun to drive and kicks skyline and wrx's no offense intended to all hehe with mine i had to make up new engine mount except the gearbox mounts are the same and u will need to change the wiring and computer! quick fit motor sport wired up the final little bits for me for about $600! if u need a hand drop me a line have fun!

[Updated on: Sun, 20 July 2003 14:06]

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Mon, 21 July 2003 06:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice, thanks man.
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Tue, 22 July 2003 02:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Have you found an engine yet mate?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Tue, 22 July 2003 06:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I found the one I want.
SCO-77K
Regular

January 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Tue, 22 July 2003 08:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nice. 3S-GE? how many k's?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Tue, 22 July 2003 10:42 Go to previous messageGo to next message
3SGTE ST165 Half-Cut, not entirely sure, He said Just a little over 100,000, roughly the 130,000 mark
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Tue, 22 July 2003 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the st185 halfcut that i got only had 115,000km on the dial.
RobST162
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Tue, 22 July 2003 11:28 Go to previous messageGo to next message
with loom + 'puter? onto your current g-box?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Tue, 22 July 2003 15:35 Go to previous messageGo to next message
current gearbox???? probably not, it's syncros are alredy f#^ked up major, I'd give it a week..... Laughing

No probably looking to either, modify the gt4 box or get a camry box.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Thu, 25 September 2003 15:17 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I can Now officially put the cost argument too rest on this engine swap.

Put a 1st Gen 3SGTE into a ST162 for under $4000 (including engineering and exhaust), not too bad considering everyone was saying it would cost $10,000.

Basically you just get a half cut and tranfer literally everything.

Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Thu, 25 September 2003 15:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
wiso, can u break down ur costs.
Did u do the work urself?
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Fri, 26 September 2003 08:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Break down of Costs, Here we go:

($2130) $1900 ST165 half cut + $230 to get it sent from QLD to ACT
$320 for all needed Hoses, Belts, Seals and Fluids
$100 for a GT4 Fuel Pump from a friend (thanks man Smile )
$250 for a locked transfer case off a contact (thanks man Smile )
$660 for Engineers Certificate
$500 for Full 2.5" exhaust

Totals to just under $4000 ($3960 for those who can't add)
Did all the work ourselves, (transplant, strip down and wiring)

Bonuses:

Car had an almost new clutch, Using the GT4 box which has already been rec'od, turbo is excellent cond.

Extras (aren't importent but I'll do):

$145 for Turbo Timer
$??? for Boost Guage
Classique71
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Fri, 26 September 2003 08:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Add 200 + for a set of gt4 calipers off a st185 ( or a more accurate cost - ask rob! ) , youll need the brakes to pull it up !

add another 200 for decent front tyres to transfer said power upgrade to ground

Add 50 for new underpants the first time the boost kicks in without warning and you have no traction

Add 60 to have said seat , undies and pants , steamcleaned of brown marks as you Crap yourself

Add a priceless amount of figure for the laughs youll get from your mates for said soiling of undies !

Laughing

wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Fri, 26 September 2003 15:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Half-cuts come with Calipers, remember this is only the 165 engine, I have the twin pots off the ST165, with the master cylinder. already fitted. (by the way if you are talking about RobST162 already talked to him, but he doesn't have the master cylinder like I do, so his distribution to the front is a bit off, and he only has ST165 calipers not ST185)

Already have some kick ass traction with the tyres I have.

yeah funny with the boost kick in dude, I have driven a much more powerful turbo front wheel drive than my celica will every be. that thing never had traction, too much power for the front wheels and the car was too light.

So I won't need the new underpants or the steam clean.
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Fri, 26 September 2003 15:44 Go to previous messageGo to next message
DannyGT4 wrote on Thu, 17 July 2003 17:10

lol... you're not going to be able to just bolt in the 3s-gte

Ummmmmmmm.............. actually, yes, you can just bolt in a 3SGTE, I now know, I have done it.

EDIT:
This is providing you have all the necessary support systems from the GT4. ie. everything out of a half-cut.

[Updated on: Fri, 26 September 2003 15:48]

draven
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Fri, 26 September 2003 17:11 Go to previous messageGo to next message
ehehe stuart - I can relate to that!
on the drive back from getting my car I thought I was pushing it pretty hard, going pretty fast.
on a nice straight bit of road, I thought I'd floor it and see what it really had. second gear, 50km/hr. lit up the back wheels, hit 100 in record time, and nearly had to check myself into the hospital for heart attack Razz

addicted to HP ever since.

so what do you think of your power wiso? loosened your bowels yet? Smile
wiso
Forums Junkie

April 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Sat, 27 September 2003 04:49 Go to previous messageGo to next message
the power is nice, better than the old 3SGE Smile

but as I keep telling you I have driven a much more powerful front wheel drive, try a Charade with a GTTi engine running 20psi boost for everyday driving, now that is what loosens your bowels Evil or Very Mad
Draza
Forums Junkie

June 2003
Re: engine idas 3S-GE/GTE? Sat, 27 September 2003 10:21 Go to previous message
if u want bowel loosening try an 1100cc bike, doing 240 in a 60 zone with only 1 wheel on the ground. granted the bke is stocky but dam did it go fast(i was on the rear).
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:year model hilux
Next Topic:What to do about crappy paint!
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat Apr 27 20:45:46 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0069289207458496 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.