Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » General Car Talk » Finally blew my diff!

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon6.gif  Finally blew my diff! Sat, 19 July 2003 10:08 Go to next message
Diff's been REALLY noisy recently (especially after one night when it rained and I took the car out for some fun (someone explain to me how I managed to damage my diff when it was wet?!)).
It's been hooking up limo quite often recently which is kinda strange and sorta indicated what was going to happen (even if the noise wasn't telling me).
Anyway, drove back up to Sydney today from Canberra. Hammered it at the first set of lights and when I backed off all I heard was clunking.

I actually managed to limp it home from there, but I reckon it was a pretty close thing... Sounded like metal bits in a blender by the time I got it up my driveway.

Anyway, let's hope I can find a new diff tomorrow or else I ain't going back to Canberra!

R.I.P. T512 after 5 years of handling 3 times the power that it was meant to.
  Send a private message to this user    
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Sat, 19 July 2003 10:10 Go to previous messageGo to next message
About time that happened. Testimony to the mighty T-series Razz
Intensevil
Forums Junkie

March 2003
Re: Finally blew my diff! Sat, 19 July 2003 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
time for a supra rear end? Confused
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Sat, 19 July 2003 12:03 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm about to put another T series in Smiley =
strober
Regular

June 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Sat, 19 July 2003 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
are you sure it wasn't a bloody hook stuck on your door handle? Laughing
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: Finally blew my diff! Sat, 19 July 2003 12:38 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Intensevil wrote on Sat, 19 July 2003 22:01

time for a supra rear end? Confused

Not on an RA60!

Although I've just seen the price of an AE86 LSD rear end for $750!! They're going down in price! Woohoo!

Hopefully the AE86 LSD will handle the power... I have my doubts though..
Mx73_LuXoBarge
Regular

October 2002
icon5.gif  Re: Finally blew my diff! Sun, 20 July 2003 02:02 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Maybe it's just the psycosis kicking in,
but does anyone else reckon old diff fluid smells a bit like
crusty nachos? Razz
manipulate
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Sun, 20 July 2003 02:06 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Mx73_LuXoBarge wrote on Sun, 20 July 2003 12:02

Maybe it's just the psycosis kicking in,
Razz

Judging by your Signature yes u forgot your medication
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Sun, 20 July 2003 02:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Sat, 19 July 2003 20:08

Diff's been REALLY noisy recently (especially after one night when it rained and I took the car out for some fun (someone explain to me how I managed to damage my diff when it was wet?!)).

Easy... you were spinning one wheel most of the time, so your spider gears were doing about 10,000rpm... after a while they go POP and things go downhill quickly. It's pretty common for this to happen.

I wouldn't chuck another T series in there man, even a $750 AE86 LSD. Bite the bullet and do the job properly; either an F series (Corona MkII) or G series (Hilux) is the way to go. Smile
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Sun, 20 July 2003 08:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
where does one get a 750 buck AE86 diff from may i ask?

yeah as norbie said... single leggers kill diffs very quickly.. the spyder gears are spinning at crazy speeds and they fail pretty quickly after that!

most of my open diffs died in this manner.. that wa sin the RX7 tho... toyota diffs look like they are a lot better designed!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
Re: Finally blew my diff! Sun, 20 July 2003 10:14 Go to previous messageGo to next message
OK, spent about 2 hours trying to find a wreckers that was open on Sunday.
Then an hour waiting for the two monkeys to pull it apart. Disgusted
An hour to buy a trolley jack and chassis stands.
About two hours to pull it out and put the new one in.

Then I got to the part where I pull the plug off the filler hole..... After two hours I ran out of ideas (and the nut was pretty much round)....
So I spent the next hour or so filling the diff up via the breather hole....

Why do things never go to plan?!?!

Anyway, not sure what it's called, but it was the gear that was connected to the main driveshaft. Four teeth were snapped cleanly off that thing....

Norbie wrote on Sun, 20 July 2003 12:58

I wouldn't chuck another T series in there man, even a $750 AE86 LSD. Bite the bullet and do the job properly; either an F series (Corona MkII) or G series (Hilux) is the way to go. Smile

Would've been a tall ask to get a F/G series in so that I can drive to Canberra today!!!!!
I really want to upgrade, but money's way too tight right now. Sad

Simon-MrRx7 wrote on Sun, 20 July 2003 18:27

where does one get a 750 buck AE86 diff from may i ask?

http://www.picknowl.com.au/homepages/paradise/diff s.html
Simon-AE86
Forums Junkie

Banned user

July 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Sun, 20 July 2003 11:00 Go to previous messageGo to next message
so thats 9 hours on a diff swap?

good effort Smile
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Sun, 20 July 2003 11:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
yep killed another t series last night too Smiley =

Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Finally blew my diff! Sun, 20 July 2003 23:56 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Luke, why don't YOU do an F or G series?!? You seem to be breaking them pretty often.

Man, when I pulled the diff out, I couldn't see anything wrong with it. Thought I might've killed the gearbox.... It was only when I looked deep inside that I saw the damage. Everything else was fine...

Anyway, here's a video for you guys....
http://nark.is-a-geek.com/pub/Pix/Cars/Toyota/Nark /Broken%20Diff.avi
4.8MB AVI (Motion JPEG codec)
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 21 July 2003 00:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I was going the hilux diff but never got round to finishing it, and now I'm gunna swap the 1g into a corona avante and probably finish the hilux diff and sell it off.
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 21 July 2003 00:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
oh yeah.. my solution.. the first diff I busted got welded up... thats going in next.. well when I get round to it
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 21 July 2003 00:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hah, just got the movie..

nark my last diff ended in me on the side of the road on anzac parade on sat night around 11:30pm.. I thought my drive shaft had given up the ghost cos the car would bang and bounce when I tried to move it.

coming along the eastern distributor it was making the loadest whine ever Smiley = , lucky I backed off at 150 when I was running that commy.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 21 July 2003 01:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
That video was taken about a km from where I was trying to get to... By the end it was starting to buck and kick..... I even spent half that distance coasting down a hill!! Don't think it would've lasted much longer!
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 21 July 2003 01:26 Go to previous messageGo to next message
may i ask whats so special about the corona mark2 diff?

I've got one it goes hard havent heard a peep out of it in 2 years of thrasin.

I sat some brake on the weekend.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 21 July 2003 01:31 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Corona MkII has an F-series rear end which bolts in place of the T-series rear end that's in live rear Celicas.
Mx73_LuXoBarge
Regular

October 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 21 July 2003 01:33 Go to previous messageGo to next message
manipulate wrote on Sun, 20 July 2003 12:06

Judging by your Signature yes u forgot your medication

Well if you roll me up some more medication then I'll happily go back to sitting in the corner. Rolling Eyes
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 21 July 2003 02:20 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Mon, 21 July 2003 11:31

Corona MkII has an F-series rear end which bolts in place of the T-series rear end that's in live rear Celicas.

It bolts in? Or do you mean with mods?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon3.gif  Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 21 July 2003 02:23 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Well, yeah... Failed to mention that point. Nod
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 21 July 2003 10:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message
nark u drive like a pussy... 5 years for a 1ggte + t series diff is shamefull!!! hehehe

11 or 12 in 18 months???? thats more like it Wink Go the Sprinter.
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon6.gif  Re: Finally blew my diff! Tue, 22 July 2003 01:07 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I don't quite have the propensity to drop burnouts like you do Luke... hehe
Only ever tried to do burnouts twice. And that was back in the 21R-C days.... Needless to say that they were great failures..... Wink

On a side note, this new diff clunks a lot when I'm braking into corners and when I go around corners. All other times it's fine...
Don't think this one will last very long. Sad
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Tue, 22 July 2003 01:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
coronamark2 wrote on Mon, 21 July 2003 11:26

may i ask whats so special about the corona mark2 diff?

It came from a very special car. Very Happy

If you are going to the trouble of doing mods to fit the Mk2 diff into your RA60, look into an MS112 diff. They are 1410mm across, non LSD F series and rear discs.

Don't butcher a classic for a drum brake rear end!!!!
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: Finally blew my diff! Tue, 22 July 2003 01:51 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hmm... MS112 eh? I'll keep that in mind.

Thanks dude!
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Tue, 22 July 2003 03:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
thunderbird1 wrote on Mon, 21 July 2003 20:29

11 or 12 in 18 months???? thats more like it Wink Go the Sprinter.

I'm on my 4th center in 9 months. Most of them were shagged when they went in though.
TurboRA28
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Tue, 22 July 2003 03:48 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I'm yet to break a center.. But did snap an axle Smile
gold28
Forums Junkie

August 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Tue, 22 July 2003 04:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
I broke a crown gear in my blue 28 (18R-G) but drive the gold one a little nicer. I think most of my centers were just worn out before they went in. One thing I definitly won't be doing is reconditioning a T series.
rvrolla
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Tue, 22 July 2003 04:32 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Hehe I busted 4 IRS centres in my old SA63 with the good 'ol 2SC Wink Very Happy
thunderbird1
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Tue, 22 July 2003 06:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
narkie baby... did u do up the tailshaft?? hehe
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon14.gif  Re: Finally blew my diff! Tue, 22 July 2003 06:08 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah! The right way up this time too!!!

Rolling
gtman
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Tue, 22 July 2003 06:16 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nark wrote on Sun, 20 July 2003 18:14

Then I got to the part where I pull the plug off the filler hole..... After two hours I ran out of ideas (and the nut was pretty much round)....

I did this on sunday with my new celica. Have been in the process of changing fluids on it. FINALLY got the drain plug out, but tried for about an hour on so with some conventional and not so conventional techneques to get the filler plug out. Eventually wrapped a rag around a hose attached to a pump bottle and pumped fluid through the drain hole, then quickly screwed up the plug Smile
CrAiGzEE
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Wed, 23 July 2003 00:13 Go to previous messageGo to next message
5 months and my t series is still going strong was just about brand new though!

fseries for me i think
Norbie
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Wed, 23 July 2003 00:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
My RA23 still has its original T series diff. I guess the mighty torque of an atmo 18R-G isn't quite enough to break it. Smile
Mk2supraman
Occasional Poster

June 2003
Re: Finally blew my diff! Fri, 25 July 2003 00:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message

I have run in to this also what works real well is soak it down with wd-40 let it sit for a while and then get the air chisel after it guaranteed results be careful not to miss the air chisel will kill that diff cover real quick i have changed alot of rearends on my supra I'm real good at it now last time i had it out in 45 min with hand tools "note a rearend is heavier than it looks not a good idea to try and bench press one up there or try to hold it while u pull the last bolt"

Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Sat, 26 July 2003 23:41 Go to previous messageGo to next message
About breaking diffs. I managed to break my pinnion shaft pin, yes the little pin that holds pinnion shaft there where it's supposed to be. You can all guess what kinda obscenitys it shouts now. It's super noisy between 0 and 180km/h. It's also mighty T.

BTW. I didn't do anything spectacular when the pin let go...
...seriously!
Bugman
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Sun, 27 July 2003 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Yeah I blew this pin in my first diff I had to pull it as this allowed the shaft to float up and down resulting in the gear also being able to jump about etc.. I solved it by welding it up.. Smiley = and this will be going back into the car some time this week.

Jayem
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Sun, 27 July 2003 12:27 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Quote:

I solved it by welding it up..

Did to after that floating shaft had shitted the drive pinnion and drive pinnion had shitted the crown wheel.
inertia
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 28 July 2003 14:21 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Heh,

Friend of my friend's diff in his supercharged holden ute had a tooth catch, locking up both back wheels at about 130km/h on the freeway... Shocked Fishtailed to a stop, tailshaft twisted, the frickin crank was knocked out of alignment or whatever hehe, expensive.

Good to see you live bro Razz

PS: WHERE IS THE JOKES LIST??????
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon4.gif  Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 28 July 2003 23:15 Go to previous messageGo to next message
inertia wrote on Tue, 29 July 2003 00:21

PS: WHERE IS THE JOKES LIST??????

Err.. I should get around to fixing that up one day shouldn't I? Firewall died (disk errors) and I've put a new one in. There are a few things outstanding, one of which is the jokes list..... Smile
gianttomato
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 28 July 2003 23:18 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Will the 'jokes list' contain classic threads, a la 'Pool Room' on Performance Forums?
Nark
Forums Junkie

May 2002
      Nark@toymods.net/Work
icon1.gif  Re: Finally blew my diff! Mon, 28 July 2003 23:29 Go to previous message
T'was just a mailing list where people can send their jokes...

Was, err... Eventful when people posted 4MB files on there..... It was running through a 56.6k.....

Smile
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:Looking for a good non-expensive Car Alarm.
Next Topic:RnW army cruise=shattered gearbox :(
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 11 12:08:17 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0062167644500732 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.