Toymods Car Club
www.toymods.org.au
F.A.Q. F.A.Q.    Register Register    Login Login    Home Home
Members Members    Search Search
Toymods » Tech & Conversions » Silicon Coating on Tyres?

Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Silicon Coating on Tyres? Sun, 20 July 2003 09:40 Go to next message
Well i got my new rims and tyres on Saturday morning and did about 200k's on them.
then this afternoon went for a run down some twisty roads and fuck me the back was hanging out all over the place, hope this isn't the tyres fault and hope its just the silicon coating, who else has had the same problems and how long till the coating wore off?
  Send a private message to this user    
coronamark2
Forums Junkie

May 2003
Re: Silicon Coating on Tyres? Mon, 21 July 2003 01:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
umm if theres a silicone coating it will be on the side of the tire not on the actual tread, i got brand new 225's all round they were and still are grippy as fck.
what type of tyre and how much u pay?
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Coating on Tyres? Mon, 21 July 2003 21:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
195/45/ZR15 they are made by Nexan, which i have never heard of but the same tread pattern as the Good Year F1, $145 a tyre with a trade discount.
FWDCelica
Forums Junkie

July 2002
Re: Silicon Coating on Tyres? Tue, 22 July 2003 01:24 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Ginsie,

Never heard of NEXAN.
Google search comes up with Zip.
Might be some dodgy Brand, But I'm no tyre expert.

I think some tyres need to be worn in a little before they give their best.Maybe try swapping front to back after 500 km or so seeing as though the Rear tyres just roll on a FWD.

I tend to stick to name brands like Bridgestone,Dunlop,Falken, Toyo etc.

My 2c worth !!

Cheers
T.
boudan
Regular

June 2003
Re: Silicon Coating on Tyres? Tue, 22 July 2003 05:29 Go to previous messageGo to next message

i've found an excellect soloution, only involves a quick drop of the clutch on a wet road and u'll soon find out wether it was the silicon coating or dodgy tyres...

consider those 4 small spots are the only thing holding u on the road i wouldnt suggest buying no name brands if u are going to be driving it with any intent of putting on the lead boots.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Coating on Tyres? Tue, 22 July 2003 09:30 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well the tyre place seemed to think these were a good choice and i don't think its a rubber problem as the front doesn't understeer so i was thinking maybe the rear just has to be run in a little more, also my rear shocks are shocking, doesn't stop bouncing so that may also play apart in it,

oh well find out in a couple of weeks when the adjustable koni's go in Very Happy i'm one for brand names also but i kinda just went with what the tyre guys said. Rolling Eyes
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Coating on Tyres? Tue, 22 July 2003 09:46 Go to previous messageGo to next message
hmmm its actually called Nexen, its exactly the same tread pattern as Goodyear Eagle F1 but the scary thing is in very small print it says "Made in Korea" Shocked thats not good for sure.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Coating on Tyres? Tue, 22 July 2003 09:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
this does not look good,

check out this site,

http://www.nexentire.co.kr/

mine is the Nexen N2000
justcallmefrank
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

May 2002

Re: Silicon Coating on Tyres? Tue, 22 July 2003 11:12 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Tread pattern is one thing...quality is another.

Sava Intensa's look nice...until you drive on them.

For a non-brander, they are very expensive, $145 trade would have gotten me some replacement Bridgestone Potenza's, and they are awesome.
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Coating on Tyres? Wed, 23 July 2003 08:09 Go to previous messageGo to next message
well once i've got the suspension all don't i will give them one hell of a work out and let you know how they perform,

maybe discovered a new up coming brand of tyre? doubt it but i'll test them out anyway.

its just they are 195/45/15 and nt many brands make a 45 profile tyre that i'm after i have to go up to a 50 profile.
Twinky
Forums Junkie

May 2002
Re: Silicon Coating on Tyres? Wed, 23 July 2003 12:01 Go to previous messageGo to next message
Nexan are a cheap shit tyre.

The tyre shine usually wears off very quickly. I use this stuff almost every day. As i work casually at beaurepairs. After swaping wheels on the work ute (commo) I coat the back tyres in the shit. Half way through 1 power slide the stuff wears off and the slide comes to a stop cause the shit box doesnt have enough power to keep it going. Laughing
GIN51E
Forums Junkie

I supported Toymods

July 2002

Re: Silicon Coating on Tyres? Tue, 19 August 2003 10:27 Go to previous message
First of all if you work at beaurepairs then i understand why you know nothing about tyres,

its not just a tyre shine its a by product of the moulding of the tyre, i've spoken to bikers and go karters and they have all spoken of the same problem, its been 2,500km now and they are going good, the strut braces and sway bars are starting to do their job as now the back doesn't step out on corners. Instead it just lifts the inside rear wheel off the ground with one friend following behind me saying it was at least a foot off the ground, so tht shows the tyres are gripping in the corners.

I'm very happy with them now, had no problems in the wet don't notice the road is even damp.

i recommend them for any light small car, can't talk for the bigger cars as i don't know how they would react but for cars like mine i give them two thumbs up for dry and wet weather just watch out for the first 1,500 odd K's until they wear in or even better give them a hard work out for only a couple of hundred k's then rotate the tyres and you will be fine. Very Happy
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:TA22 Indicators and 2TG Tensioner
Next Topic:3SFE -> 3SGTE conversion
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Tue May 21 15:46:59 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046019554138184 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.