Show: Today's Posts  :: Show Polls 
Email to friend 
Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
AuthorTopic
Levin
Occasional Poster

August 2002
7MGTE headgasket Sun, 27 July 2003 07:37 Go to next message
I know this has been covered before to some extent, but just a few quick questions if I could...

I've recently aquired an MZ20 Soarer with what seems to be a good condition 7MGTE. So, with the hype surrounding the headgasket, what should I do?

1. Just re-torque the standard bolts down.

2. Leave the head on and fit a set of ARP studs (is this even possible with the head still in place???)

3. Remove the head and fit a new headgasket and ARP studs.

4. Remove the head and fit a metal headgasket and ARP studs.

The headgasket seems fine at the moment, is it just a case of "if it's not broke don't fix it" or should I do something before sh!t happens? I'm not planning on doing much more to the engine, maybe a 3" exhaust from the turbo and pump in some more boost. Maybe a larger intercooler too...

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Cheers.
  Send a private message to this user    
7M-Brisbane
Forums Junkie

November 2002
Re: 7MGTE headgasket Sun, 27 July 2003 08:58 Go to previous messageGo to next message
For now, just retorque the head a bit more. Make sure you do it in a star pattern as per the service manual or you'll do more damage than good (can crack the head).

Make sure you take great care of the cooling system (flush it out, don't mix inhibitors, change coolant regularly, make sure radiator isn't blocked, make sure it's all bled properly).

If you're going to fit ARP bolts, pull the head off and do it properly. If you undo the bolts without taking the head off the gasket is probably more likely to blow than if you'd left it alone.

Personally I would pull the whole lot out, get the block o-ringed ($30/cylinder), get the head and block machined ($30 each) and fit a Ridgecrest copper gasket with ARP bolts. I'd probably replace the big ends while I was at it.

It will never trouble you again, and it will all be done for about $1000 if you can do the labour yourself.
Allan
Forums Junkie

May 2002

Re: 7MGTE headgasket Sun, 27 July 2003 13:00 Go to previous message
Well what i did with mine is buy all new toyota gaskets, surface the head and check the block and fit the washers (off an early magna engine's head bolts.. who said mitsu's where useless!) the the existing ARP studs that the workshop the previous owner took the car to "forgot" to fit and then torqued it down to the recomended torque usen engine oil on the threeds of 120ft/lbs

so far no bong-on coolent bottle... bubble bubble bubble...

Allan
  Switch to threaded view of this topic Create a new topic Submit Reply
Previous Topic:4agze accelerator cable in an ae86
Next Topic:The boat trigger
Goto Forum:
-=] Back to Top [=-

Current Time: Sat May 4 11:44:10 UTC 2024

Total time taken to generate the page: 0.0046820640563965 seconds

Bandwidth utilization bar

.:: Contact :: Home ::.